Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 253766 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #2660 on: December 08, 2020, 09:58:34 AM »
Wow that's scary.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2661 on: December 08, 2020, 10:00:11 AM »
As far as who it would be, I would almost prefer it being someone we don't know about.  I think we have enough connective tissue to the "known" Star Wars universe.  But that said, it doesn't matter, as long as it is done well, and almost everything about this series has been done well.

You are right that Hammill IS Luke.  Such an iconic portrayal of a character that it is hard to imagine anyone else in that role.  But that said, I would have said the same thing about anyone but Harrison Ford playing Han before I saw Solo, and that was done well enough that I was able to suspend belief and enjoy it.  And not that Stan couldn't do it, but I just have to say, it is obvious that there was some doctoring done to those photos to try to make the case. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2662 on: December 08, 2020, 11:35:10 AM »
Wow.  In general, I'm not a fan of recasting iconic characters like that, but the resemblance is pretty amazing.  Obviously Hamill could not pull it off today, and it would be better than a computer-generated Luke or something like that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2663 on: December 08, 2020, 11:54:15 AM »
As far as who it would be, I would almost prefer it being someone we don't know about.  I think we have enough connective tissue to the "known" Star Wars universe.  But that said, it doesn't matter, as long as it is done well, and almost everything about this series has been done well.

This is where I'm at. I like the distancing from the OT. There seems to be constraints or boundaries placed on the story when trying to adhere to the OT lore and legend. I like the freedom introducing 'new' characters gives them. (even if the new characters are from the two animated series...they aren't as universally 'known')
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2664 on: December 08, 2020, 01:14:21 PM »
I'm all in on it being someone new. Or at least not a major Jedi, just someone maybe we saw in passing previously who managed to survive order 66.

I think Luke has to get involved or be at least mentioned at some point. They can digitally deage Hamill. That tech is pretty good these days. I'd rather they do that that recast.

Yoda's force ghost would be another option. I wouldn't be totally opposed to it, but it would likely be him telling Din to seek out another surviving master.

I've seen speculation that Mace Window survived his fall in RotS and could be the one to answer the call. That would be kind of cool to see him again.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 03:28:15 PM by lordxizor »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2665 on: December 08, 2020, 01:40:44 PM »
Personally I hope they never give in to the Samuel L Jackson wish that Mace survived and somehow shoehorn him into any future stories. He wasn’t all that good of a character.....in the prequels and in TCW’s. He was pompous and annoying and everything that was wrong with the Jedi order.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2666 on: December 08, 2020, 03:29:07 PM »
Personally I hope they never give in to the Samuel L Jackson wish that Mace survived and somehow shoehorn him into any future stories. He wasn’t all that good of a character.....in the prequels and in TCW’s. He was pompous and annoying and everything that was wrong with the Jedi order.
It would only be good if he was now a more humble, yet still badass Jedi. But I tend to agree with you.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2667 on: December 10, 2020, 04:39:00 PM »
Looks like a TON of new Star Wars stuff is currently being announced.

Ahsoka show. Obi Wan show with Hayden as Vader. Casian Andor show. Rangers of the new republic show. A movie by Patty Jenkins and some more I can’t keep up with.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2668 on: December 11, 2020, 12:18:39 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2669 on: December 11, 2020, 05:25:55 AM »
The future of Star Wars is looking bright. Super excited for all of that! The only thing I would have loved to see is a Solo series to wrap up the planned story arc of the movie, but oh well...

The Rogue Squadron movie coming from the director of Wonder Woman  sounds intriguing to me. Looking forward to seeing what she can do in the Star Wars universe. And its nice to see they haven't given up on theatrical (if they still exist) movie releases.

Oh and another great episode of the Mandelorian today!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 08:54:07 AM by lordxizor »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2670 on: December 11, 2020, 06:18:43 AM »
I'm intrigued with The Acolyte.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2671 on: December 11, 2020, 06:21:16 AM »
I'm intrigued with The Acolyte.
Me too. I'd love to see them explore time periods outside of what we're familiar with. Hopefully this will be the launch pad for more exploration of that time in Star Wars history.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2672 on: December 11, 2020, 07:54:42 AM »
Very interesting stuff indeed!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2673 on: December 11, 2020, 01:24:37 PM »
Another outstanding episode... Gideon is so fucked when Mando gets his hands on him.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2674 on: December 11, 2020, 01:30:11 PM »
Another outstanding episode... Gideon is so fucked when Mando gets his hands on him.
That ending was badass.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2675 on: December 11, 2020, 01:45:52 PM »
That ending was badass.

I almost felt sorry for him... Almost

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2676 on: December 13, 2020, 09:52:53 AM »
Knowing that even in the Empire they have to deal with TPS Reports. Someone on Twitter made mention of Moff Lumberg. So awesome.

Wondering if that was a Bill Burr ad-lib or if that was in the script.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2677 on: December 13, 2020, 11:28:14 AM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2678 on: December 13, 2020, 12:04:38 PM »
Someone on Twitter made mention of Moff Lumberg. So awesome.

:lol Are there Moff Bobs too?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2679 on: December 13, 2020, 12:12:18 PM »
The Bad Batch trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BohgNFBR2eE

this series has quite a bit of potential. The cool think is that there is no 'set' way it has to go. It could take a number of directions.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2680 on: December 15, 2020, 12:33:13 PM »
For very good reason, it seems the investor day stuff has greatly overshadowed any talk of the recent Mando episode.

Can I just say that I loved this episode oh so much? This has been a great season. However, you can drop Ahsoka into a mediocre episode and it will be great because she's there. You can drop Boba into a mediocre episode and it'll be great cause he's there. Luckily, they didn't do this, but having those huge moments makes it a little easier. But this last episode had no big reveals. No Ahsoka or new Jedi. A little Boba Fett, but not a ton. Hell, not even any Grogu. And yet what we got was such a well written episode that it really needed to work harder because it lacked any of the things that naturally elevate it without effort.

I did not see Mando maskless coming. I am not a huge Bill Burr fan, but that one Tarantino scene in the mess hell was one of the best scenes of the whole show. Nothing flashy, nothing huge, nothing that makes hard core fans say "HOLY CRAP I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY DID THAT". Just three characters have a fantastic scene with amazing dialogue and acting.

Yea, I thought the last episode was among the best and I'm both excited and sad to see the last episode this week.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #2681 on: December 15, 2020, 12:46:56 PM »
Yeah great episode, and the little callback to Attack of the Clones with Boba Fett's depth charge was a nice touch. I too loved that Tarantino-esque cafeteria scene. Again not a second of the episode wasted. Can't wait for the finale. I'm a little glad they've already announced that season 3 will be released Christmas next year.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2682 on: December 15, 2020, 01:25:18 PM »
I wasn't as crazy about it, or more specifically everything around Mando removing his mask. Firstly, what was even the point of the imperial terminal doing a face scan if it's not going to sound an alarm when a face that doesn't work for the Empire is on the receiving end? Secondly, to build it up for almost two seasons only to have the face reveal happen in front of a bunch of imperial soldiers and Mayfield... a little random. Thirdly, given how dogmatically loyal Mando has been to The Way(tm), for him to basically just go back to normal afterwards, what because Mayfield pinky swore that he wouldn't tell? None of it really worked for me.

That aside, the action sequence with the pirates was awesome, as was the "Tarantino" scene in the mess hall.
Photobucket sucks.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2683 on: December 15, 2020, 01:52:12 PM »
I wasn't as crazy about it, or more specifically everything around Mando removing his mask. Firstly, what was even the point of the imperial terminal doing a face scan if it's not going to sound an alarm when a face that doesn't work for the Empire is on the receiving end? Secondly, to build it up for almost two seasons only to have the face reveal happen in front of a bunch of imperial soldiers and Mayfield... a little random. Thirdly, given how dogmatically loyal Mando has been to The Way(tm), for him to basically just go back to normal afterwards, what because Mayfield pinky swore that he wouldn't tell? None of it really worked for me.

Bill.... I'm with you entirely on this.  I was fully expecting Mando to pop a cap in Mayfeld after they landed.  No one lives who's seen a Mandalorian.  I get the message Mayfeld was pitching, but I'm still not on board with it.  And then for Mayfeld to walk into the cafeteria and bail him out ... shit, he was too petrified to walk in there (in fear of blowing the mission) just 90 seconds earlier.  The entire setup to the 3 of them having drinks was a weak plot point, imo.

I also don't buy that Mando is willing to accept there are other WaysTM (ala Bo-Katan).

Offline Adami

« Reply #2684 on: December 15, 2020, 01:56:06 PM »
I think he was willing to do it for Grogu. He recognized that saving Grogu was more important than strict adherence to "the way" especially after being challenged by both Starbuck and Boba.

And I didn't have any issues with Bill Burr going in there after being scared. He was being brave when the time came. I thought it was great.

I will grant you the oddness of needing a face scan that serves no purpose. Unless, I guess, Mando once worked for the Empire and thus his face was recognized? I dunno.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2685 on: December 15, 2020, 02:06:54 PM »
Firstly, what was even the point of the imperial terminal doing a face scan if it's not going to sound an alarm when a face that doesn't work for the Empire is on the receiving end?
That did seem odd, especially as it wasn't explained, but I can see plausible explanations. Rather than match up to a database (do they even have databases like that in this era of the SW universe?), it might be needed to simply ensure there's a record of the person's face for later on. Or it might only be accessible for humans. I'm relaxed about there being reasonable explanations but I agree it's a bit weird that they didn't provide one.

Secondly, to build it up for almost two seasons only to have the face reveal happen in front of a bunch of imperial soldiers and Mayfield... a little random.
He's shown his face before, in the season 1 finale.

Thirdly, given how dogmatically loyal Mando has been to The Way(tm), for him to basically just go back to normal afterwards, what because Mayfield pinky swore that he wouldn't tell?
I'm with Adami on this one. In terms of Mando's journey in the show so far, there have been two big story arcs. One, his affection and responsibility for Grogu. And two, learning this season that perhaps The Way isn't the only way, and that even the rightful heiress of Mandalore shows her face. That doesn't mean he just abandons his old ways entirely and never wears a mask anymore, clearly, as he puts it back on again. But it's the combination of these two arcs that leads to him being willing to take his mask off in order to save Grogu.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2686 on: December 15, 2020, 03:18:34 PM »
I think he was willing to do it for Grogu. He recognized that saving Grogu was more important than strict adherence to "the way" especially after being challenged by both Starbuck and Boba.

And I didn't have any issues with Bill Burr going in there after being scared. He was being brave when the time came. I thought it was great.

I will grant you the oddness of needing a face scan that serves no purpose. Unless, I guess, Mando once worked for the Empire and thus his face was recognized? I dunno.

Agree with all this. For me, the largest issue of the episode is that the Empire couldn't somehow protect a small stretch of road to and from their mining source to plant? They have tie fighters on hand but wait until the final 100 yards to deploy them AFTER two transports have already been blown up? Not having better security on the road was a far bigger stretch than Mando deciding he loves Grogu more than adhering to a 'way' of life he recently discovered may or may not be legit anyway?

Second smaller issue is that the green that Boba Fett updated his armor with is a different hue than the OT traditional color it once was.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2687 on: December 17, 2020, 04:23:23 PM »
Last episode tomorrow. Any predictions?

I think Ezra Bridger answers Grogu's call. I think Ahsoka and Bo-Katan make appearances as well. Then all three fly off to the next soundstage to film the Ahsoka show and hunt down Thrawn.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2688 on: December 17, 2020, 05:47:44 PM »

I think Ezra Bridger answers Grogu's call. I think Ahsoka and Bo-Katan make appearances as well. Then all three fly off to the next soundstage to film the Ahsoka show and hunt down Thrawn.

I do think Ahsoka and Bo-Katan will be part of the rescue. I think Ezra makes the most sense story wise to be the Jedi that answers the call but who’s to say that’s even a reveal this season?

I just hope it’s more than a half hour episode. I’d like to get a 45-50 to close this out.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2689 on: December 17, 2020, 05:51:05 PM »
The show has been pretty good at not being predictable. So I dunno if any extra Jedi will show up. Maybe that’s a season 3 thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2690 on: December 17, 2020, 05:53:42 PM »

I do think Ahsoka and Bo-Katan will be part of the rescue. I think Ezra makes the most sense story wise to be the Jedi that answers the call but who’s to say that’s even a reveal this season?

I just hope it’s more than a half hour episode. I’d like to get a 45-50 to close this out.

Agreed... there's so much to bring together.  I can't see that Olyphant's character doesn't somehow show up as well.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2691 on: December 17, 2020, 09:46:23 PM »
Before we're all talking about the finale, I'll just say that I was expecting (and totally onboard with in a general sense) the idea that Mando would eventually sacrifice The Way in the name of saving Grogu. I just thought the way it ended up unfolding was dumb/underhwhelming. It should have been a big moment, there should have been some immediate stakes, and someone closer to Mando should have been the one there to see it happen.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2692 on: December 18, 2020, 03:20:44 AM »
I loved the Mando finale. It was gripping and overall I thought the reveal was pretty well done - wasn’t perfect but it worked for me. I won’t spoil anything as yet.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2693 on: December 18, 2020, 05:24:46 AM »
I loved it. Amazing.

FYI, there's a post credit scene

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2694 on: December 18, 2020, 06:24:09 AM »
You guys

YOU GUYS
Photobucket sucks.