Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 253757 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #2625 on: December 01, 2020, 04:59:49 PM »
:lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2626 on: December 01, 2020, 05:06:19 PM »
Dave Filoni had a couple neat points about Ahsoka and her 'jedi' status in that interview I linked:

Fans have watched Ahsoka grow up on The Clone Wars, they’ve seen her go off on her own, seen her fighting as a lone wolf in Rebels. What did you want to reveal about her at this point, much later in her life?

Filoni: She is, for lack of a term, a master, because she’s largely an independent at this point. I play her much more as a knowledgeable knight. A wandering samurai character is what she really is at this point. I’ve always made comparisons to her heading toward the Gandalf stage, where she is the one that has the knowledge of the world and can help others through it. I think she’s reached that point.

How would you describe her overall journey?

Filoni: We saw her basically hit the scene as a Padawan: young, and naïve, and brash, and aggressive. Then, in Rebels, she’s more of a traditional knight, trying to figure out how to fight a war. There’s a lot of hesitation around what she wants to be and who she can be and how her life’s been guided. I think that now I’ve taken that a step further. When you see this version of the character, she’s world-weary from everything that she’s experienced and lived through. She’s seen so much happen in her time.

The episode is called “The Jedi,” but Ahsoka’s whole identity is based around leaving the Order.

Filoni: Yeah, I think something fans like about the character is that she’s rather complex. They all focus very hard on the line, “I am no Jedi,” from Star Wars: Rebels, but it’s undeniable that she’s trained by the Jedi. I think to most observers she is very Jedi to them. I would argue in some ways—by being so selfless and rejecting a lot of paths that would have given her power—she’s more Jedi-like than even some characters who claim to be Jedi.

That last sentence is what strikes home to me. At their end.....the Jedi had abandoned their 'way' so to speak.....whereas Ahsoka's journey as a character has organically shaped her into a great "Jedi" despite her distancing herself from what she had known the Jedi to have been.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2627 on: December 01, 2020, 05:27:24 PM »
I don't know that the "rules" are ever concretely explained.  But as with a lot of things in life, I think that is easier to answer when there is a fully-functioning organization in place.  We see that in the prequel trilogy.  There is a council that runs the jedi order and makes ultimate decisions.  They appear to have final say on who is in and who is out.  So basically, the jedi council admits, denies, and/or expels members.  At the end of Revenge of the Sith, the jedi order as an organization is basically destroyed.  But some masters survive.  Fast forward to Luke's training.  Even though there is no functioning organization, Yoda is one of the last surviving masters.  And he was head of the council when there was one.  It isn't clear to me whether he exercises authority as simply one of the last survivors and by virtue of his former position, or whether he is also communing with the force and other departed masters about Luke, but either way, he exercises authority to make Luke a jedi.  From the sequel trilogy, we get that Luke, as a master himself and one of the only jedi left in the galaxy, is restoring/remaking the jedi order.  He starts the jedi academy and is training others to become jedi.  So...there you go.

This makes perfect sense.  Thank you for the well thought-out reply.

You have to get two friends to agree to the order.....then they get two friends to join.....and so on. Once you get 100 people under you’re training you’re a Jedi.

This actually sounds more doable.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2628 on: December 01, 2020, 07:37:50 PM »
Just got caught up and as a huge fan of the Clone Wars series, this last episode could not have been more enjoyable. I wasn't sure what to expect, but a full on Ahsoka featured kick-ass episode did the trick. That could not have been more satisfying as a fan. Plus, as mentioned, written and directed by Filoni. Icing on the cake.

Not to mention, the previous episode was quite awesome as well. This season is really knocking it out of the park.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2629 on: December 02, 2020, 07:39:43 PM »
Just got to the end of season two of Rebels... incredible :metal :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2630 on: December 02, 2020, 07:49:01 PM »
Just got to the end of season two of Rebels... incredible :metal :metal

Yes. That last episode especially was freaking epic.

I may have to watch that tonight. 

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2631 on: December 02, 2020, 08:10:23 PM »
Yeah, that two-parter at the end is right up there with some of my favorite SW content, TV or movies.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2632 on: December 02, 2020, 09:58:42 PM »
Yeah, that two-parter at the end is right up there with some of my favorite SW content, TV or movies.

Just rewatched them both. So good. Love the music when Ahsoka and Vader square off as she lights her sabers......just chilling. good stuff.....

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2633 on: December 04, 2020, 05:32:33 AM »
Lots of stuff happening in today's episode. Another good one! Though unfortunately a short episode.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 05:38:22 AM by lordxizor »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2634 on: December 04, 2020, 06:49:15 AM »
Lots of stuff happening in today's episode. Another good one! Though unfortunately a short episode.

Yeah.... jingle.son warned me it was only 30 mins or so. 

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2635 on: December 04, 2020, 07:08:23 AM »
Yeah, the 30 minute episodes are tough, but I'll take whatever they give me. Beggars can't be choosers.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2636 on: December 04, 2020, 07:11:46 AM »
I'm kind of okay with the shorter episodes. I would like them to be longer like the season premiere but they're so good and concise regardless that by the end of each episode I don't even care how long it's been. That's the sign of a good show.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2637 on: December 04, 2020, 08:54:40 AM »
yeah, the benefit is there is no bloat to them, that's for sure.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2638 on: December 04, 2020, 09:17:05 AM »
Grogu gonna be bloated if he keeps eating everything in sight.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2639 on: December 04, 2020, 09:28:48 AM »
The episode lengths are absolutely fine, there's not been one that's felt rushed or like it needed to be developed more.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2640 on: December 04, 2020, 11:01:16 AM »
The episode lengths are absolutely fine, there's not been one that's felt rushed or like it needed to be developed more.

Same. While I always want more in theory, I never finish one thinking they rushed anything.

This weeks episode was fan-freakin-tastic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2641 on: December 04, 2020, 12:17:11 PM »
Yeah, that's one thing I like about streaming shows is the way they're not bound to a standard running time. One of my favorite teachers in high school was an English teacher who never put page limits on the papers he assigned We were always simply instructed to "write until you've satisfactorily addressed the topic at hand", and it's nice when shows can take that approach.

But yeah, another great episode this week.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2642 on: December 04, 2020, 12:52:05 PM »
Yeah, that's one thing I like about streaming shows is the way they're not bound to a standard running time. One of my favorite teachers in high school was an English teacher who never put page limits on the papers he assigned We were always simply instructed to "write until you've satisfactorily addressed the topic at hand", and it's nice when shows can take that approach.

But yeah, another great episode this week.

That is something none of my English teachers have ever done and I really wish they had. A mandatory page length just makes so many problems.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2643 on: December 04, 2020, 02:10:17 PM »
Goddamn what a good episode. The Baby Yoda Facebook pages are going to lose their shit this weekend.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2644 on: December 04, 2020, 07:22:59 PM »
A tragedy this was the shortest episode of the series so far. But it packed so much! Not a second wasted. Down to the final two and am sensing even greater things to come.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2645 on: December 04, 2020, 07:37:10 PM »
A tragedy this was the shortest episode of the series so far. But it packed so much! Not a second wasted. Down to the final two and am sensing even greater things to come.

Precisely.  So much happened tonight.  So good.  I said to jingle.son last week everything is coming together for one epic bru-ha at the end.  It'll be like the Star Wars equivalent of the Battle of the Five Armies.  But good.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2646 on: December 04, 2020, 07:56:47 PM »

Precisely.  So much happened tonight.  So good.  I said to jingle.son last week everything is coming together for one epic bru-ha at the end.  It'll be like the Star Wars equivalent of the Battle of the Five Armies.  But good.

Yeah. Really good episode.

I don’t mind the shorter episodes either. I think they work.....but I just want more cuz it’s so good. Gimme more than 8 episodes then or something.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2647 on: December 04, 2020, 08:34:42 PM »
Definitely action-packed, plus plenty of other-than-action, and because of that it didn't feel short to me at all.  Lots of good stuff.  No complaints.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2648 on: December 05, 2020, 08:17:34 AM »
I will say that this week's episode is the first one that I found myself thinking "no!" when it ended. It had been so packed full of great stuff that I didn't want it to end.

SPOILERS, reaction and speculation below!!:

Still not sure how I feel about Boba Fett being officially back. Plus he's like an honorable guy now, which just seems weird.
I loved the Razor Crest and am sad to see it destroyed. I thought it was a great ship.
I wish we'd have seen the Dark Troopers in fighting action, but I'm sure we'll see that before the season ends.
I love how storm troopers still can't hit shit, except for Din, who doesn't give a shit because of his Beskar armor (even though there are tons of gaps).
It's gotta be Ezra Bridger who senses Grogu's force calling and comes to the rescue, right?
I'd still love to see Luke at some point have a small cameo.
I predicted a year or so ago that the Empire remnants want Grogu for their Snoke clone, and am doubling down on that prediction after last week's episode.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2649 on: December 05, 2020, 09:50:06 AM »
I will say that this week's episode is the first one that I found myself thinking "no!" when it ended. It had been so packed full of great stuff that I didn't want it to end.

Still not sure how I feel about Boba Fett being officially back. Plus he's like an honorable guy now, which just seems weird.
I loved the Razor Crest and am sad to see it destroyed. I thought it was a great ship.
I wish we'd have seen the Dark Troopers in fighting action, but I'm sure we'll see that before the season ends.
I love how storm troopers still can't hit shit, except for Din, who doesn't give a shit because of his Beskar armor (even though there are tons of gaps).
It's gotta be Ezra Bridger who senses Grogu's force calling and comes to the rescue, right?
I predicted a year or so ago that the Empire remnants want Grogu for their Snoke clone, and am doubling down on that prediction after last week's episode.

I love how the Stormtrooper's ships were fucking clown cars, how many of those fuckers were crammed into those things  :lol

The ending was crushing.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2650 on: December 05, 2020, 10:32:20 AM »

I love how the Stormtrooper's ships were fucking clown cars, how many of those fuckers were crammed into those things  :lol

The ending was crushing.
Yeah, that was pretty hilarious with the clown car thing.

Honestly, I let out an audible "oh no" when I saw "The Tragedy" at the beginning. Yes, the end was crushing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2651 on: December 05, 2020, 10:49:41 AM »

The ending was crushing.
Yeah, that was pretty hilarious with the clown car thing.

Honestly, I let out an audible "oh no" when I saw "The Tragedy" at the beginning. Yes, the end was crushing.

Me too  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2652 on: December 05, 2020, 11:26:12 AM »

So far, most Bounty Hunters have been portrayed as being honorable.  I've got no problem in how his character was depicted.  And, they conveniently got around the issue of him removing his helmet.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2653 on: December 05, 2020, 11:28:08 AM »
I've never understood the rationale of troops wearing wearing that doesn't actually protect you.  That armor that basically looks like white plastic (and probably is IRL) doesn't do shit.  Dozens of storm troopers, can't hit the side of a mountain with a blaster, all getting cut down by Fennec and Boba just calmly picking them off.  It was hilarious, true, but eventually you could tell that they'd win by sheer force of numbers.  When that second clown car ship came down, we knew how it was going to turn out.

I loved it when Gideon went to see Grogu, and as the doors open Grogu is bouncing a few troopers off the walls.  The two troopers with Gideon started to do something but Gideon was like "Hang on a sec, this is funny, I wanna watch just a little more."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2654 on: December 05, 2020, 11:40:29 AM »
I've never understood the rationale of troops wearing wearing that doesn't actually protect you.  That armor that basically looks like white plastic (and probably is IRL) doesn't do shit.  Dozens of storm troopers, can't hit the side of a mountain with a blaster, all getting cut down by Fennec and Boba just calmly picking them off.  It was hilarious, true, but eventually you could tell that they'd win by sheer force of numbers.  When that second clown car ship came down, we knew how it was going to turn out.

I loved it when Gideon went to see Grogu, and as the doors open Grogu is bouncing a few troopers off the walls.  The two troopers with Gideon started to do something but Gideon was like "Hang on a sec, this is funny, I wanna watch just a little more."

I took that as a “Yes...let go of your anger”, and I’m wondering if he wants to train him to be Sith.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2655 on: December 05, 2020, 12:49:20 PM »

So far, most Bounty Hunters have been portrayed as being honorable.  I've got no problem in how his character was depicted.  And, they conveniently got around the issue of him removing his helmet.

Yeah. I liked how they’ve added that element to his character......and it’s more in line with the way Mando handles himself so it seems it’s most likely a common trait of Mandalorians/bounty hunters.

It was neat to see his character expanded in that way......and it was cool to see him be such a bad a$$ as well.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2656 on: December 05, 2020, 02:34:29 PM »

I took that as a “Yes...let go of your anger”, and I’m wondering if he wants to train him to be Sith.

I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.  I think getting his blood for the "M-count" is the primary objective, but it's always good to keep an eye open for new recruits.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2657 on: December 05, 2020, 03:07:01 PM »

I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.  I think getting his blood for the "M-count" is the primary objective, but it's always good to keep an eye open for new recruits.

I think he was just fascinated but is strictly after the blood/M count. I doubt he has plans to keep Grogu alive.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2658 on: December 05, 2020, 06:37:54 PM »
At the very beginning, "Mando" took the bounty warm or cold.  But IG-11 (the assassin droid) had orders to kill the child and bring it back cold.  That led to some speculation that there was more than one contract on the child, more than one interested party.  I wonder if they'll follow up on that.  It seems harvesting the blood would be a bit more problematic if the donor is cold.  If Grogu's blood does turn out to useable as a resource, wouldn't it make sense to keep your supply alive, your golden goose as it were?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2659 on: December 08, 2020, 09:44:43 AM »
So....with all the speculation as to which Jedi 'heard' Grogu's 'call'.......what is everyone thinking? I think the most plausible would be Ezra considering the characters we've seen come into the series BUT that'd seemingly take away a huge plot driver in a spinoff Ahsoka series. Unless they just supersede her trying to find Ezra and make it all about finding and taking out Thrawn.

They could bring in Cal Kestis I suppose? But I don't know how popular he is outside of the gaming community.

Or, if it is Luke....can the fans get past it not being Mark Hamill who plays Luke? Luke would need to be younger and I've seen/read a TON of fan speculation/theories that Sebastian Stan could pull off playing a young Luke, Hamill himself has supported the idea. So, could 'you' accept someone else playing Luke Skywalker? I think Stan could pull it off but Hamill IS Luke Skywalker much like Ford IS Han Solo....so, it'd be an interesting transition.