Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 247093 times)

Offline kaos2900

Just finished up the rewatch of Rebels with the kiddos. Such a good series.

We're about half way through season 3. My opinion of it has grown through my second watch through. Definitely as good as Clone Wars.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5

We're about half way through season 3. My opinion of it has grown through my second watch through. Definitely as good as Clone Wars.

S4 is pretty awesome also. Non stop pace.....heartbreaking and fulfilling storylines that conclude their arc. Really well done.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I am doing Clone Wars right now.  Doing a pretty "loose" viewing, with it on during the background while I am working from home at times when I am working on things that do not require full concentration.  I have to say, there were several points during season 1 where I was ready to abandon it.  A lot of season 1 is just not very good.  I am in the middle of the siege of Geonosis arc early in season 2 right now, and I have to say, a lot of the stories are a lot more engaging.  There is still a lot of dumb stuff that has to be overlooked, and a lot of "plagiarism" (I use the term loosely) from other well-known movies, shows, and stories, but it is at least an entertaining journey and something I can have fun with at this point.  Asoka is STILL perhaps one of the most annoying, vapid characters to ever be written.  And her relationship with Anakin is at times incredibly unbelievable and leaves my eyesockets hurting for hours on end from all the eyerolling.  But as the backstory fills in, I find a lot of that to be easier and easier to overlook.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
  I have to say, there were several points during season 1 where I was ready to abandon it.  A lot of season 1 is just not very good.

Yeah....it took the series a bit to get going and S1 was tough to get through. But it's totally worth it IMO. It gets going pretty good and does a WAY better job of building Anakin as a character than any of the prequels did....like, blows them away. Anakin in TCW's is a pretty remarkable character.

Asoka is STILL perhaps one of the most annoying, vapid characters to ever be written.  And her relationship with Anakin is at times incredibly unbelievable and leaves my eyesockets hurting for hours on end from all the eyerolling.  But as the backstory fills in, I find a lot of that to be easier and easier to overlook.

Same as the series as a whole....once the story gets going her character evolves to be one of the best in the franchise. For me, she is my favorite Jedi over all in any of the platforms.....just ahead of Anakin. Her character from S3 onward is pretty fun to watch her grow into a top tier Jedi.

Rumor has it that these final (4) Episodes of S7 was designed to watch all in a row (even though they aren't released that way) and Filoni and all the character actors say it's one of the best chunks of SW story line to have happened. It's all about the siege of Mandalore and Ahsoka tracks down Maul and has a battle with him. Can't wait.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yeah, I don't doubt any of that.  A lot of great shows flounder in their first season, and then take off later once they find their footing and direction.  So I don't really hold that against this one at all.  Seeing how it improved from S1 to S2, I have no doubt that I might find it thoroughly enjoyable when all is said and done.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Holy cow.....this last episode of Clone Wars was AWESOME! Three more to go until the series is over.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I really need to watch these two series.  Gotta float that idea up with jingle.son to see if he's up for it.  If not, Ima gonna incorporate it into my morning stationary bike rides.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I really need to watch these two series.  Gotta float that idea up with jingle.son to see if he's up for it.  If not, Ima gonna incorporate it into my morning stationary bike rides.

I don't think you'd regret the investment. There are 133 total episodes (including the 12 new S7 Ones)....I'll stick with my ratio that 85% of them are pretty fun watches. There are some outliers in there that are boring, typically when they are centered around characters other than Anakin, Obi Wan and Ahsoka. But, being that you're not having to wait a week in between them and have the option to just 'skip' the ones that are boring you.....it should be no big deal.

As Bosk said....S1 is a mixed bag but the show starts to find it's footing in S2 and by the time S2 is over it's in a pretty good groove. Personally, I'd skip the 'Clone Wars' movie that led into the series. It's 'ok' but it's not necessary to watch to be able to make sense of the series.

If/when you complete that and get to Rebels....it's a really fun watch also. It's neat to watch Ezra go from a bratty little D-Bag orphan to a pretty powerful Jedi. Both series introduce some really cool characters that would have been neat to see in live action. Maybe some of them still might make it into live action, who knows?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I did watch the Clone Wars movies a long long time ago.  Don't really remember much about them though.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Polarbear

The Clone Wars had incredibly high highs and some very embarrassing lows. But retconning the character of Ahsoka into the saga was a good move in retrospect. Without going into spoilers, Ahsoka's story arc in TCW contributes into the descent of Anakin Skywalker into Vader.

In addition, Ahsoka ends up growing into a very likable character. In season 1&2 she was pretty annoying though.

Oh, and the series finale is epic so far!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
The Clone Wars had incredibly high highs and some very embarrassing lows.
This is very true. You could boil the series down to a dozen really awesome story arcs and the rest is pretty forgettable.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
The Clone Wars had incredibly high highs and some very embarrassing lows. But retconning the character of Ahsoka into the saga was a good move in retrospect. Without going into spoilers, Ahsoka's story arc in TCW contributes into the descent of Anakin Skywalker into Vader.

In addition, Ahsoka ends up growing into a very likable character. In season 1&2 she was pretty annoying though.

Oh, and the series finale is epic so far!

Yeah. This final season has been pretty good. That last episode when Ashoka races Rex to Mandalores surface from the transport ships shows just how incredible a Jedi she is. Really cool sequence

Obviously  I’m on record as being a huge fan of Ashoka. Once they got a clear path for her character and got her going she’s pretty remarkable. I am a it nervous about them crossing her over to live action. That’s a lot of expectation to live up to. But I think it’s a smart move as the way they handled her character in TCW’s and Rebels left a lot of story to tell.

Plus, TCW’s does an awesome job of showing how powerful Anakin Skywalker was. He was a complete bad ass. Something the prequel films failed at doing. They handled his journey to the dark side fantastically and expanded he and Palpatines relationship.....better yet....showed how Palpatine groomed him in more depth. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
The Clone Wars had incredibly high highs and some very embarrassing lows.
This is very true. You could boil the series down to a dozen really awesome story arcs and the rest is pretty forgettable.

I’m still endorsing an 85/15 split. The bulk of it is worthwhile and fun to watch.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Plus, TCW’s does an awesome job of showing how powerful Anakin Skywalker was. He was a complete bad ass. Something the prequel films failed at doing. They handled his journey to the dark side fantastically and expanded he and Palpatines relationship.....better yet....showed how Palpatine groomed him in more depth. 

Right now, I am living a bit conflicted with this.  Seeing how powerful Anakin was makes me of two minds.  On one hand, I like what TCW does with that and feel like they are doing it so much better than the films.  On the other hand, because film just feels more "real" than an animated show, I cannot help subconsciously objecting to the series "changing" the character we saw in the films. 

As far as Anakin and Palpatine, they haven't really gotten into that much up to where I am in the series.  But that was sorely needed in the films, so I am looking forward to seeing some of that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Right now, I am living a bit conflicted with this.  Seeing how powerful Anakin was makes me of two minds.  On one hand, I like what TCW does with that and feel like they are doing it so much better than the films.  On the other hand, because film just feels more "real" than an animated show, I cannot help subconsciously objecting to the series "changing" the character we saw in the films. 

As far as Anakin and Palpatine, they haven't really gotten into that much up to where I am in the series.  But that was sorely needed in the films, so I am looking forward to seeing some of that.

I don’t see TCW’s as changing Anakin though. That would mean that the prequels actually did something to make him a character in the first place. Which IMO they failed at. Anakin was never Anakin in the prequels.....he was the dude that became Darth Vadar. Everything was Vadar centered as far as any attempt at developing Anakin in those movies

TCW’s builds Anakin into an actual character and for me at least.....that’s where one needs to go to learn about who Anakin Skywalker was. He’s crafted perfectly and TCW’s does SO much more for that character than the prequels ever did. I personally can’t even watch the prequels now due to how bad the discrepancy is between who Anakin is.

The ‘real’ Anakin IMO is TCW Anakin who was carefully developed over 133 episodes not the poor interpretation we were given in those prequels.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Today's episode of The Clone Wars was fantastic!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Can’t wait! Me and the kiddos usually watch later in the evening. The consensus amongst the Brass and people that have seen them is that the last (4) episodes of TCWs is some of the best SW content of the SW universe. Last weeks episode was awesome and that was the first of the last 4.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Holy cow! You weren’t lying. Just another example of why Ahsoka is a complete bad a$$. Rey who?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Concerning the last episode of TCW’s .....I like how they’ve now entered a the time frame of Anakin becoming Vadar. I’m really curious as if to we get to see more detail of the newly knighted Vadar destroying the Jedi temple? I felt for Ashoka this episode given how she defended Anakin against Mauls insistence Anakin was Sideous’s new apprentice.

These final two episodes are going to be crazy.

Offline Polarbear

I don't think we see Obi Wan and Anakin in the last two episodes. Dave Filoni stated that Ahsoka and Rex are essentially the two main characters of TCW, so I think what we see from this point on, will be from their point of view.

I think the last 2 episodes will be about Ahsoka, Rex and Maul working together to escape the purge and The Empire.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think we see Obi Wan and Anakin in the last two episodes. Dave Filoni stated that Ahsoka and Rex are essentially the two main characters of TCW, so I think what we see from this point on, will be from their point of view.

I think the last 2 episodes will be about Ahsoka, Rex and Maul working together to escape the purge and The Empire.

Yeah. I can see that. The entire point behind having a S7 was to clarify Ashoka (and Rex’s) story. Everything was just so open ended when the show was stopped last time.

All I know is that it’s been awesome. Especially the past few. There were a couple episodes there with the sisters that were kind of slow but were needed.

SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO MAY WATCH

I love how Maul was mad Skywalker didn’t come.....and as they’re fighting Ashoka tells him he’s lucky Anakin didn’t show up....that with the way he was fighting Anakin would have killed him by now. To me, this point out that Ashoka could have killed him by that point in the battle as well. She was instructed by Obi Wan to capture....not kill....Maul. So her saying that to Maul that she’d already identified when and where she could have delivered a death blow....and that Anakin wouldn’t have been so nice. He’d have killed him and apologized later. Then, just to prove just how good a Jedi she really is....she does capture Maul....not kill him.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Started watching with jingle.son last night - tackled the first three episodes.  Kinda cringey, but we're going in with the expectation that S1 and S2 are gonna be that way.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Started watching with jingle.son last night - tackled the first three episodes.  Kinda cringey, but we're going in with the expectation that S1 and S2 are gonna be that way.

I think even by the end of S1 you’ll start to notice a difference. I’m excited for you.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I'm in S3, and the cringe is still strong with this one.  But that said, as it progresses, there are more and more strong episodes and less cringe.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm in S3, and the cringe is still strong with this one.  But that said, as it progresses, there are more and more strong episodes and less cringe.

How far into S3? I thought S2 had some pretty neat stuff actually. Cad Bane....we learn Obi Wan was/is in love with someone.....the battle on Geonosis had a couple cool episodes.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
I thought Cad Bane was kind of dumb personally. Didn't really care for those episodes.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought Cad Bane was kind of dumb personally. Didn't really care for those episodes.

Really? I liked him to the extent of he was just a tough character to catch/kill/outsmart. Him and Hondo were a couple of the second tier characters that brought a different look to the cast.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Just saw Rise of Skywalker will be on Disney+ on May 04. Hopefully I can carve out 2 kid-free hours to watch this. Never got to the theater to see it. After TLJ (really after TFA) my interest in this series waned heavily.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Just saw Rise of Skywalker will be on Disney+ on May 04. Hopefully I can carve out 2 kid-free hours to watch this. Never got to the theater to see it. After TLJ (really after TFA) my interest in this series waned heavily.

Saw that too. Smart move by them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Oh, cool!  I've come close to buying it several times, but just haven't gotten around to it.  Been dying to see it a second (and third, and fourth, and...) time. 

Offline faizoff

I'm going to pick up the Target 4k edition since it comes with a nice photo book when it drops to a decent price. There is a documentary included in the video release and hopefully Disney+ includes it next week.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
SPOILERS from the Last episode of The Clone Wars

To anyone who is up to date or seen the last episode. I've been watching the fight between Ahsoka and Maul a few times and comparing it to some of the other light saber battles in the series.....and....I want to say that the choreography and actual fight scene was 'real'....meaning, it looked like they used the green screen and motion technology. The movements are VERY lifelike. Much more lifelike than typical in the series. Anyone else notice that?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
SPOILERS from the Last episode of The Clone Wars

To anyone who is up to date or seen the last episode. I've been watching the fight between Ahsoka and Maul a few times and comparing it to some of the other light saber battles in the series.....and....I want to say that the choreography and actual fight scene was 'real'....meaning, it looked like they used the green screen and motion technology. The movements are VERY lifelike. Much more lifelike than typical in the series. Anyone else notice that?

Well I swear I had no idea that it actually was motion capture when I posted that. You could really tell though.

Spoilery vid about Ray coming back as Maul to film the saber duel.

https://youtu.be/qzYyJa2Upas

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Another fantastic episode.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

:clap:    Congratulations to Dave Filoni for providing some of the best SW content available in The Clone Wars. It's tough to improve on a product....but the story and characters in this series just continued to evolve and get better with each episode right down to the last scene. Very hard to do and it's well worth the watch.

Clone wars spoilers just in case:

Very beautiful and perfect resolution to Ahsoka's story in The Clone Wars. It was remarkably touching........and the final scene when Anakin shows up as Vadar.....just WOW. Really well done because of how great a job they did in that series actually building Anakin as a character and developing he and Ahsoka's relationship. It was a chilling, stunning, sad scene.

And, the Score in the final (4) Episodes alone was incredible....the last two in particular. Set the mood perfectly.