Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 247080 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Last Jedi
« Reply #1785 on: December 27, 2019, 06:05:37 AM »
I liked Kevin Smith's recap/review of ROS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UnqNZhnGZs

I loooooove Kevin, but I generally only watch his reviews when I want to be reaffirmed that I loved whatever he's reviewing.

I assume he loves it, thinks it's the best of the trilogy, cried a whole lot during it, maybe cried during the review itself, thanks JJ for being a genius, and said it gave him ALL the feels?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1786 on: December 27, 2019, 06:21:42 AM »
I liked Kevin Smith's recap/review of ROS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UnqNZhnGZs

I loooooove Kevin, but I generally only watch his reviews when I want to be reaffirmed that I loved whatever he's reviewing.

I assume he loves it, thinks it's the best of the trilogy, cried a whole lot during it, maybe cried during the review itself, thanks JJ for being a genius, and said it gave him ALL the feels?

Add in a bunch of F bombs and I think you got it
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1787 on: December 27, 2019, 07:06:26 AM »
The new Mandalorian episode might be the best thing to come out of the Star Wars universe. Just perfect I n every way.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1788 on: December 27, 2019, 07:32:30 AM »
The new Mandalorian episode might be the best thing to come out of the Star Wars universe. Just perfect I n every way.

Agreed. What a fantastic way to end an incredible season.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1789 on: December 27, 2019, 07:33:48 AM »

Add in a bunch of F bombs and I think you got it

Actually, while I wasn't far off, he was much more critical of the movie, or at least recognizing its many many flaws than I thought he'd be.

I actually enjoyed his review. He loved the movie, obviously, but didn't feel that to love it, you have to think it's perfect or amazing or flawless, that you can notice ALL the bad ideas and still enjoy the hell out of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1790 on: December 27, 2019, 07:50:33 AM »
I've tried to say the same thing while eviscerating its weaknesses  :lol

It's totally fine to like something that isn't perfect. No movie IS perfect in the first place. Except Shawshank.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1791 on: December 27, 2019, 08:01:30 AM »

Agreed. What a fantastic way to end an incredible season.

I also loved it. Incredibly well written and executed work.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1792 on: December 27, 2019, 08:02:22 AM »
I gotta say, The Mandalorian gives me a great deal of hope that the future of Star Wars is bright. What a great show.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1793 on: December 27, 2019, 08:04:55 AM »
I'll just say it right now:  The sequel trilogy is the BEST trilogy.  And I will stand by that (although fully acknowledging that, of course, the ST owes its very existence to the OT, and its depth, color, and texture relies heavily on the foundation of the OT).

I agree with you. I loved the NT and think they're more entertaining than the OT.....But I think the SW community as a whole doesn't. At least, there is a very vocal contingent on the internet (not pointing at members here or this thread) that spend a great deal of time trashing the NT in the form of 'reviews', podcasts, youtube vids etc etc.

After seeing RoS for the second time yesterday I agree. I liked it a lot more the second time. I'm still not sure about how I feel about Rey being a Palapatine but maybe that will be explored down the road.

Here is my updated ranking:

1. The Force Awakens
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Rise of Skywalker
4. Empire Strikes Back
5. The Last Jedi
6. Rogue One
7. A New Hope
8. Return of the Jedi
9. Attack of the Clones
10. The Phantom Menace

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1794 on: December 27, 2019, 08:13:54 AM »
1. Empire

2. Revenge of the sith/Return of the Jedi
3. Rogue one
4. Force awakens
5. A New hope

6. Rise of skywalker
7. Phantom Menace
8. Solo
9. Attack of the clones

10. Last jedi
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 08:22:29 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Adami

« Reply #1795 on: December 27, 2019, 08:18:25 AM »
Rankings? Sure why not.

1. Empire
2. A New Hope
3. Rogue One
4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Last Jedi
6. Force Awakens
7. Solo
8. Rise of Skywalker
9. Revenge of the Sith
10. Phantom Menace
11. Attack of the clones.

Keep in mind there is a BIG drop in quality in my list from 4 to 5.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1796 on: December 27, 2019, 10:33:54 AM »

Stack all 8-episodes together, and it beats any of the three trilogies.  That finale had everything... action, emotion, suspense, payoff, and nice enough teasers that leave us/them with three fantastic storylines to develop.

Thank you Jon Favreau ...  :hefdaddy.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1797 on: December 27, 2019, 11:07:34 AM »
I won't get t see these episodes anytime soon.  I'm not set up for it, unless they release them on DVD someday..  :(
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1798 on: December 27, 2019, 11:29:04 AM »

Stack all 8-episodes together, and it beats any of the three trilogies.  That finale had everything... action, emotion, suspense, payoff, and nice enough teasers that leave us/them with three fantastic storylines to develop.

I was talking with some friends last night, and we all agreed he should take on an executive producer role a la Kevin Feige, someone to oversee the whole universe to ensure quality. He's more than shown he has the chops with his work, and definitely has a finger on the pulse of the universe.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1799 on: December 27, 2019, 11:29:42 AM »

I was talking with some friends last night, and we all agreed he should take on an executive producer role a la Kevin Feige, someone to oversee the whole universe to ensure quality. He's more than shown he has the chops with his work, and definitely has a finger on the pulse of the universe.
I would not be opposed to this at all. Not sure if he'd be willing though.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1800 on: December 27, 2019, 11:32:12 AM »
I've talked the same idea over with my friends. Jon Favreau should definitely be in charge of something bigger going forward. Him in charge of the cinematic universe I think would be a great move, or even for just a particular run of connected films.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1801 on: December 27, 2019, 11:33:26 AM »
Could you imagine a fifteen or so cinematic universe building to an epic climax?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1802 on: December 27, 2019, 11:35:02 AM »
Could you imagine a fifteen or so cinematic universe building to an epic climax?

Yes. All I want is the Star Wars equivalent of the MCU, is that so much to ask?  :biggrin:

Offline Adami

« Reply #1803 on: December 27, 2019, 11:37:25 AM »

Yes, only it was a 22 or so cinematic universe building to an epic climax.

I'd be fine with Star Wars being more individual movie focused.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1804 on: December 27, 2019, 12:08:23 PM »
I like the idea of giving Favreau a key role in the next set of Star Wars movies but the thought of a MCU-level universe just makes my brain hurt. If they take some time, really craft a great trilogy, make it happen then that would be great enough for me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1805 on: December 27, 2019, 12:09:32 PM »
Aw. I think Star Wars is a perfect fit for a naturally occurring MCU-style film universe. I'd love to see something done as cohesive and coherent as that in a galaxy far, far away.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1806 on: December 27, 2019, 12:21:24 PM »
I think now that they are free from having to tie any subsequent movie to any of the OT or Prequels....they could come up with a few good movies. Just stand alone stuff....no need for trilogies or sequels.

I like the idea of having someone who has a good understanding of the pulse of that universe and the fans....ala a Favreau. I'd also be in favor of Dave Filoni being involved in someway if they were gonna 'shape' the next phase of SW 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1807 on: December 27, 2019, 04:16:59 PM »
Aw. I think Star Wars is a perfect fit for a naturally occurring MCU-style film universe. I'd love to see something done as cohesive and coherent as that in a galaxy far, far away.

I feel like one of the biggest problems with Star Wars that I have is that for a universe claiming to be almost infinitely big, we keep going back to the same places with characters being related to each other and it just makes the universe feel really small to me. Like no matter what story you tell in the Star Wars universe on the big screen, it seems we have to have characters we know or are familiar with, and the same things keep appearing whether it's lightsabers, jedi, sith, same type of ships and so on. I feel like with the MCU it's more believable with all (or most) of these heroes originating on earth and so it makes sense when New York is in trouble that Avengers assemble to deal with it. I know they've gone cosmic in the last few movies but in those movies, the tie-ins have still made sense like in Infinity War or Endgame - the whole universe is affected by the story.

Personally I'm totally on board with a Knights of the Old Republic trilogy set thousands of years before the current movies. I'm sure we'll still have Jedi vs Sith and classic ships like the tie-fighters or even the x-wings but maybe finally we can have a movie where the characters aren't related to the old ones we know and love. Also I feel like one of the best parts of The Mandalorian and why I have enjoyed it so much is that it truly feels like a new story told in the universe - separate to the rest, and the fact it doesn't have to tie into the main movies feels like a blessing rather than a curse. :p

Offline Adami

« Reply #1808 on: December 27, 2019, 05:35:37 PM »
Finished Mandalorian.

Loved it. Great episode. Great show.

One problem....spoilers....

ALWAYS MAKE SURE THEY'RE DEAD!!!! THERE WAS NO EXPLOSION! GO FINISH THE JOB BEFORE YOU LEAVE!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1809 on: December 27, 2019, 05:37:31 PM »
Decided to plow through the prequels today. Haven't seen Episode I in probably a decade. I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Going in with extremely tempered expectations made a huge difference. Even though the movie is definitely a bit dull at times, and I don't feel a pressing need to see it again soon, the imagination of George Lucas was something to behold. That's really the one area where I feel the prequels have a significant leg up on the sequels - their creativity and originality. On to Attack of the Clones!

Oh, and I 100% endorse everything that has been said about Jon Favreau.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1810 on: December 27, 2019, 05:42:15 PM »
I fully agree with every word of Zantera's post.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1811 on: December 27, 2019, 05:56:58 PM »
Agreed with the perfect ending for the Mandalorian, I loved every single one of these episodes and each of the characters in the show have been utilized really well.

I read a blurb that season 2 was to premiere in Fall next year and that makes me so happy.

Spoilers for the finale....

The troopers interacting with each other at the beginning was hilarious, I'm glad we have more of those interactions included. Fitting end that fight with the head Mandalorian with the storm troopers was so brutal. For some reason I was expecting it to be a setup for a betrayal, not sure why, glad it didn't go there.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1812 on: December 27, 2019, 06:24:14 PM »
I fully agree with every word of Zantera's post.

Same.

Especially on the exploring the Old Republic stuff. They could still work in some cool Sith vs Jedi stuff, political, espionage.....endless possibilities
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 07:06:42 PM by gmillerdrake »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1813 on: December 27, 2019, 07:08:41 PM »
Just saw ROS, meh.  Not a bad movie, but not anything really memorable either.  Felt like a chore to sit through the whole thing as it was kind of a bloated movie.  If they cut 45 minutes out, it would have been sooo much better.  Oh well, and please, no star wars universe type of thing.  They've watered the brand down so much at this point. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1814 on: December 28, 2019, 06:22:52 AM »
Saw ROS for the second time last night and I loved it even more than the first time. I get the criticisms and I certainly don't think it's a perfect movie, but it's a lot of fun and it ties things up nicely.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1815 on: December 28, 2019, 07:08:41 AM »
I would be so down for an Old Republic storyline.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1816 on: December 28, 2019, 08:00:36 AM »
Those biker scouts were my favorite part of the episode.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1817 on: December 28, 2019, 08:13:02 AM »

Until they did the unforgivable.

But yes. Prior to that, that was great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1818 on: December 28, 2019, 08:21:15 AM »

I love when they keep missing and the one guy looks at the gun, like its something wrong with the gun  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1819 on: December 28, 2019, 08:26:36 AM »
Fantastic finale, Baby Yoda did the little magic hands!! Can't wait for season 2.