Author Topic: Back after a 9 year break...  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Guitarjon

Back after a 9 year break...
« on: December 13, 2017, 05:47:10 AM »
Hey guys,

DT fan here.
I learned of the band at around 2000 and was a huge fan from then on.
I'm a guitarist so Petrucci was a huge inspiration for me.
I saw them live about 6 times and bought all the albums, dvds and I met the guys twice.
Then around 2008 for some reasons the music of DT didn't seem to gell with me as much as before so I basically stopped listening for about 9 years.

Then a couple of months ago I started asking myself why the hell I had stopped listening so I put in one of the old cds and I was instantly transported back to 10 years ago.
Listening to DT was so much fun and filled me with such joy and nostalgia.
I really don't understand why I gave them such a long break.
I thought maybe it would be fun to give short reviews of everything the band has done in that period since I got the chance to dive in fresh and experience all those records for the first time.

Black Clouds:
I really love this album.
I'm a fan of the more heavy stuff so songs like ANTR and TSF are right up my alley.
TCOT is also a progressive masterpiece, love all the different sections etc. classic DT.
I'm also a great fan of the guitar tones on this album.
I also think TBOT is a beautiful and heartfelt tribute so I don't mind that song at all unlike other people, or so it seems.

A Dramatic Turn:
When I briefly listened to some of the songs years ago I just couldn't click with the drums but now I don't really mind them and I've just come to accept the new drum style and feel.
I think MM is the best fit after Portnoy, they never would have found anyone better for the job.
Sure, it's different but I can understand that the band has to look forward and move on.
Mike Mangini seems like a very talented and genuine guy too!
I'm not really a fan of the production though, it just sounds kinda dry, raw and unprocessed.
Overall, a cool album!
Maybe not as memorable as previous records but a cool statement with great songs.

Live at Luna Park:
Cool bluray with great quality and a great way to get more acquainted with MM.

Self titled:
A solid record with some great songs and passages.
Just like the last one maybe not as memorable as older albums but it's good that they keep going and evolve as a band!
Still have to listen to this one more because I don't feel like I know this album well enough.
The production however is once again not too great for me.
Not a fan of the snare.
Doesn't bother me that much but definitely something to note.
The illumination theory is a cool song too, love those long songs!

Fourth wall bluray:
Very cool show with a great setlist and an amazing performance by the band.
Was very happy to see all those awake songs, the newer stuff and stuff like TSF.
The mix again wasn't doing it for me and I fail to understand how the mix could have turned out how it did.
I don't want to be too critical though because overall I really enjoyed this bluray and I wish I had it on CD....

The Astonishing:
I went into this record very open minded and have listened to the whole thing about 3 times.
I do think it's a really good album but I can't say that many of the songs are in my head yet so I feel like I need to listen to it a few more times until the songs really start to stick.
I can understand why it was a hard record to take in for some folks but luckily I thought it was fun to listen to.

I'm excited to see what they do next!
It's good to be back, that's for sure.
Why did I leave?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:58:52 AM by Guitarjon »

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: Back after a 9 year break...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 06:57:54 AM »
Why did I leave?

Because you had other things to do... :biggrin: Kidding aside, welcome back, Guitarjon. It's good to be a DT fan these days.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Back after a 9 year break...
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 09:43:51 AM »
The Astonishing:
I went into this record very open minded and have listened to the whole thing about 3 times.
I do think it's a really good album but I can't say that many of the songs are in my head yet so I feel like I need to listen to it a few more times until the songs really start to stick.
I can understand why it was a hard record to take in for some folks but luckily I thought it was fun to listen to.

Totally had the same feeling after the first couple listens to TA.  It's a bit much to absorb with just a few listens, but once you get there, the album is very enjoyable.