Author Topic: Dark (Netflix Sci-fi show) - Season 3 out now!  (Read 5453 times)

Offline faizoff

Dark (Netflix Sci-fi show) - Season 3 out now!
« on: December 11, 2017, 09:26:17 AM »
Netflix released a new show a couple of weeks ago and I finished it last night.
The show is really amazing and very well made.

Everyone says the show is a German version of Stranger Things. I don't think that's true at all. The only thing common with that show is the missing kid and some parts set in the 80s. Other than that there really is no comparison. Very different shows.

I'd say Dark is a combination of Lost and Twin Peaks with several other drama shows mixed in like The Killing, etc..

This is apparently Netflix's first German produced show. By default the language is set to the dubbed English preset, I changed it to use English subtitles instead. I always like to hear the original dialogue rather than the dubbed and hammed up version. I don't have any issues reading subtitles while watching.

The show is a overwhelming at times, because it has so many characters and they are all tied together very well, you have to pay attention to the show when watching it. I thought it was really well done when handling so many people and so many little story lines that converge.

Definitely give it a shot and one tip if you're watching it on a windows PC like I did, use the Netflix app through the store or use Edge browser, apparently the encoding appears the best on those two platforms and I was super impressed with the look of the show throughout.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 11:51:00 AM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Dark (Netflix Sci-fi show)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 07:42:25 AM »
I'm watching Stranger Things in these days, so I don't think about going into a "similar" show right away, but sooner or later I'll give it a try.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 08:29:06 PM »
I wouldn't be too concerned about the comparison to Stranger Things really. Dark is a completely different type of show like I mentioned it's more Lost & Twin Peaks. Mystery, intrigue, the careful unraveling of events, etc.. it really stands on its own.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 06:18:05 AM »
We binge watched this over the weekend. It was really well made, but fucked with my head so much, I still can't decide how it all worked. There's a lot to love about this show, the acting, the mood, the music...I'm sure some of you folks who have way more on the ball than me would enjoy the plot.

Oh, and it is nothing like Stranger Things. Forget that comparison entirely.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 10:12:57 AM »
My girlfriend and I finished watching the first season on Suandy and I got to say I enjoyed the hell out of it. The level of tension, the acting, the great story telling are all just amazing. It's very intrincate and complex yet I was able to determine who was who most of the time, the only one I wasn't able to get was Noah but there weren't a lot of clues about him.
Given how it ends I'd guess the second season will be quite different from the first but I'm equally anxious to get some more of this.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline faizoff

Re: Dark (Netflix Sci-fi show) - Season 2 out!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 03:21:47 PM »
I just finished watching the second season last night and it is absolutely phenomenal. I thought the first season was great but the second season was on a whole new level. The acting by every single actor is just fantastic.

Everything about each episode was amazing. I think the characters were so well done and the actors played them so well. I think MP tweeted it's one of his favorite shows and I'm not surprised at all.

Just like previous season, I would turn on the English subtitles and just watch with the native German audio on.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 04:34:16 PM »
Great to hear, faizoff! I'm rewatching season 1 in order get a refresher before plunging into season 2.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 04:43:03 PM »
Great show overall and the ending of S02 was interesting.

Just like previous season, I would turn on the English subtitles and just watch with the native German audio on.
I couldn't stand it any other way. The only gripe I had with Chernobyl was that it was in english.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 04:53:35 PM »
I’ve heard nothing but great things about this show......but I just can’t do sub titles. I hate that I’m missing out on a killer show but I just can’t do it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 06:10:12 PM »
I’ve heard nothing but great things about this show......but I just can’t do sub titles. I hate that I’m missing out on a killer show but I just can’t do it.
As a swede i've been growing up with subtitles all my life.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline faizoff

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 06:16:34 PM »
Great to hear, faizoff! I'm rewatching season 1 in order get a refresher before plunging into season 2.
I should've done a rewatch prior to starting season 2. I had forgotten so many story beats and characters since its been so long since season 1.

You can select the English audio and watch without any subtitles, I personally always prefer the original recorded language.

To give a spoiler-free review of the second season, the story is packed in each episode and I feel they didn't waste a single second at any given time. 8 episodes is a perfect number for the season. I personally was glued throughout the entire time. The story takes so many turns and unfolds at a steady pace revealing some mysteries, solving some, connecting some and adding some as well. They up the ante from the first season and dive much deeper this time round.

The cinematography is breathtaking, as is the music. Top that with excellent character arcs and fantastic acting by almost every single person, the season to me personally is almost flawless. After the final scene ended I was like give me the third season now!!
I think I read that the third season is the final season and has already begun filming.  At least Stranger Things is coming up soon.

Like I mentioned in my first post, the show feels like a combination of Lost, Twin Peaks and The killing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 07:00:01 AM »
Started in on season 2 last night. Excellent, excellent, start. Wow.

The story takes so many turns and unfolds at a steady pace revealing some mysteries, solving some, connecting some and adding some as well. They up the ante from the first season and dive much deeper this time round.

I like how they kept the same mood but each episode seems paced a bit quicker than season one. More edgy and less ominous. Has there ever been a show that required so many actors to plays so few characters?  :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 09:37:15 PM »
I think this is my favourite Netflix show.

I was a bit lost in the first episode of season 2 as I was having trouble remembering some of the characters and their connections to each other. I also somehow managed to completely miss episode 5 and only realized it after I had watched the whole season 😆

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 07:18:09 AM »

Come on, Gary, get in with this show! Stat! It's fucking brilliant. It only takes a few minutes to get the hang of reading the subtitles in big chunks while still watching the actors. You should quickly get to the point where you don't even realize you're reading them anymore...especially while binge watching.

Only a couple of episodes left, and goddamn! This show is so engaging and unpredictable, taking turns I couldn't see coming yet still making me feel like I should have.  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 07:53:25 AM »
Both seasons are fantastic, one of the best Netflix originals.

There is an English dub on Netflix btw, if you really can't deal with subs.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 11:38:30 AM »
We finished season 2 this weekend. Holy damned shit! By far, the best sci-fi on television, like ever. Can't wait until season 3.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 12:37:22 PM »
Really enjoying the second season so far, but should have re-watched the first season.  I really need a flow chart or something to keep up with the characters.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 11:13:51 AM »
I had super high expectations for season two based on the first one and I can't believe that they were able to match those expectations. This show is just too awesome to be true.

We finished season 2 this weekend. Holy damned shit! By far, the best sci-fi on television, like ever. Can't wait until season 3.

I'm inclined to say this is an overstatement, but it might not be. Everything about this show is top notch.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 11:42:30 AM »

I'm inclined to say this is an overstatement, but it might not be. Everything about this show is top notch.

:lol

I was inclined to call myself hyperbolic as well...but, even a week later, I still can't think of any other television sci-fi I've ever enjoyed near as much.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 04:54:44 PM »
p

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 02:13:19 PM »
I just finished watching S1 today with my wife, this show it's excellent! We are having lunck now, and then we'll start S2

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 11:52:26 AM »
I just finished watching this, what a great show, great acting, great music, superb story, I am hooked, can't wait for season 3

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 12:52:07 PM »
I just finished watching this, what a great show, great acting, great music, superb story, I am hooked, can't wait for season 3

:tup

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 02:52:54 PM »
Just started watching and I am almost done season 1.

LOVE the time travel aspect and this is a MUST watch for anyone else that like time travel stories

It even has a doc brown/ marty set of characters  :metal
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 07:56:19 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2019, 12:25:17 AM »
Just finished both seasons. Overall I loved it.

Season 1   I have zero criticisms. Loved it from top to bottom.

Season 2 started to feel like the show Lost a little, where the rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper and deeper. Oh look another secret note to read. Another path to follow that just leads to more paths... Like where are we going with this? That's fine for one season, but it needs to start giving answers going forward seriously.

And now we are dealing with multiple worlds?? I feel like the story has gotten away from itself, and too convoluted for its own good, but what evs

Still a great show

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2019, 08:10:36 AM »
Well, I felt like that at the beginning, but they actually gave a lot of answers to the questions that were left open in season one, even if they opened more new questions.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2020, 10:52:01 AM »
This has been on my radar for a while but like others have said I think the Strangers Things comparisons are a shame because 1. they're really not that similar, and 2. i think that's part of what put me off from not watching it sooner. (I would also add that despite liking Stranger Things, this is definitely a better show)

I've always been a time travel fan and I grew up on Back to the Future and would always love it in shows I followed (whether kid shows or teenage shows) whenever there was a time travel type plot. Heck, you can even throw in Terminator even though the time travel element of that isn't AS big of a deal as it is in some other properties. The most impressive thing with this show for me is how almost every loose thread gets resolved. Sure, there's still unanswered questions going into s3 but I feel the show has been doing a good job so far. 

The last scene of s2 has the potential of setting s3 up to be very confusing and impossible to resolve things in a nice way but I'll refrain from being critical about it before we see how it plays out.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2020, 12:17:37 PM »
I really love Dark. Its up there as one of my favorite pieces of time travel media out there.

Really looking forward to season 3

Offline faizoff

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2020, 01:03:45 PM »
One of my favorite shows going on right now. BTW season 3 drops June 27th.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Dark (Netflix Sci-fi show) - Season 3 June 27th 2020!
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2020, 08:09:42 PM »
Great show! Can't wait for S3.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2020, 12:06:40 PM »
Rewatched season 1. It was too much of a mindfuck to go into season 2 with just one year old memories. Now I have a better understanding of the situation, I will soon start season 2.

Man, Ulrich was really a fool, uh? I mean, I get it, he's distraught over the disappearance of his son and he discovers that time travel is a thing, but he's the classic elephant in a china shop. Zero subtetlly to his actions.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2020, 05:26:47 AM »
Rewatched season 1. It was too much of a mindfuck to go into season 2 with just one year old memories. Now I have a better understanding of the situation, I will soon start season 2.

Man, Ulrich was really a fool, uh? I mean, I get it, he's distraught over the disappearance of his son and he discovers that time travel is a thing, but he's the classic elephant in a china shop. Zero subtetlly to his actions.

I kinda like Ulrich (not sure if it's the actor or character) and I was strongly rooting for him to be one of the main driving forces in solving the mystery but I agree because when he discovered what was happening and what happened to his character, it really felt a bit clumsy. Like way to act suspicious and draw attention to yourself. I get that if you actually time traveled you probably would act weird in a "this can't be real I must be dreaming"-way, but if there's any small flaw I have with the show, and other time travel shows/movies - it's that characters never seem to act calm, cool and collected. It's always acting like an insane person and asking "what year is it?" the first time. :D I actually thought it was best handled when Jonas traveled back and he got to the bus stop and you saw posters for Mads missing (and 1986) instead of the Mikkel ones from 2019.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2020, 05:15:50 PM »
Rewatching in preparation for season 3. Hannah is really the worst person in existence, isn't she?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2020, 12:42:17 AM »
Rewatching in preparation for season 3. Hannah is really the worst person in existence, isn't she?

I felt a bit bad for her in the first few episodes but once you get more pieces to the puzzle and learn more, she really is yeah. Pretty much everything she does is for personal gain and then you have the scene when she goes all the way to visit Ulrich in jail just to be a dick. So yeah she might honestly be one of the worst.  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2020, 03:08:39 PM »
I rewatched season 1 some weeks ago. And I just finished for the first time season 2. Man, "utter mindfuck" doesn't even start to describe this show.

I always like to savor shows and I never really cared for watching them in real time - I did that only for Game of Thrones because otherwise it would have been impossible to avoid spoilers - but screw that, I'm gonna watch Season 3 right as it comes out, no way I'm gonna wait months and forget the little I understood about Season 2.

EDIT: found this comment on Reddit that summarizes perfectly the show:

"The question is not when, the question is WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK"

:lol
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 01:57:40 AM by MirrorMask »