Author Topic: Dream Theater Signs With SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT via its INSIDE OUT imprint  (Read 15775 times)

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Great, every IO record have been good/gold so I'm expecting good music/production in the future :)
I don't know that it'll change anything about the sound or production at all, DT just do whatever they want in that regard I think.
I'm not real familiar with how label changes work. Does the switch to Inside Out mean DT gets to work with a different producer?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
The more I read about the two labels, the more I think this was a really good decision. tbh, looking over the roster for Inside Out, this seems like it's a much better fit for where DT is now than RR was. I'm kind of curious how this is going to change their overall sound and image since Inside Out is heavily prog-centered, while RR was primarily more about metal. The possibilities of touring with Haken, Frost*, Headspace, Haken, Redemption, and Haken are pretty cool too. Honestly, the only thing I could see possibly being better for them would be signing with the main branch of a major label or pulling a Metallica and starting their own label. I think they're on the cusp of being popular enough to pull either of those things off.

And I doubt there's even a remote possibility of a SoA/DT reunion.

If anything, they are moving to a smaller home, where they will be one of (if not the uncontested) largest band on their label.

Oh yeah, I'd say they are unquestionably the biggest band on the label by a huge margin. The only ones that come closest to DT are Kansas, Arjen Lucassen and his projects, Neal Morse, and Steve Howe (who is no longer on the label) and there's a huge gap between them. In terms of "in-house prestige", I'd say this is definitely a huge step-up for them. They're probably going to be treated like royalty while with Inside Out.

I will say as an amendment to that, we now have Steven Wilson, Opeth, and DT who all came aboard RR around the same time, all off Roadrunner, with the former two on record as having been very unhappy with the label. I suspect JP will keep things above board, but I wouldn't be surprised if DT's issues weren't similar to those faced by Wilson and Opeth.

A bit off-topic, but does anyone have a link to an interview where Steven Wilson talked about leaving RoadRunner? I couldn't find anything when I searched, but found a little bit on why Opeth left (even though it didn't go into extreme detail).

Steve Howe just recently released NEXUS under IO

Offline Skeever

I also definitely want to postface my comments with the opinion that I think DT downsizing is a "good" thing. I wouldn't mind seeing them become sort of like a Marillion, who are well past the point of trying to dominate the market and are just happy to keep churning out new music their fans enjoy.

A bit off-topic, but does anyone have a link to an interview where Steven Wilson talked about leaving RoadRunner? I couldn't find anything when I searched, but found a little bit on why Opeth left (even though it didn't go into extreme detail).

I recall him saying that he was unhappy the label essentially forced the release of Octane Twisted. Consequentially his last release under RR, aside from Storm Corrosion I guess.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
I'm not real familiar with how label changes work. Does the switch to Inside Out mean DT gets to work with a different producer?

Not likely. JP has produced pretty much every single album to date, and I don't see that changing.

Huh, did he? Inside Out needs to update their website then, because he's listed under former artists.  :P

I recall him saying that he was unhappy the label essentially forced the release of Octane Twisted. Consequentially his last release under RR, aside from Storm Corrosion I guess.

Wasn't Octane Twisted released through Kscope though? All I'm seeing for RR albums is FoaBP, The Incident, and Storm Corrosion.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Not likely. JP has produced pretty much every single album to date, and I don't see that changing.

Huh, did he? Inside Out needs to update their website then, because he's listed under former artists.  :P

Yup, he did

Quoting the release info:

“Nexus" is the collaborative record by Yes-guitarist Steve Howe and his son - the late great Virgil Howe who passed away suddenly on September 11, 2017 aged 41.

Steve Howe ultimately decided to continue with this release in early October and explains: “Virgil and I had only recently completed recording “Nexus”, which contains eleven of his tunes to which I added a guitar to suit each one. We delivered it to InsideOutMusic in August for release on November 17, 2017. We started to work together in 2016 by selecting about nine tunes from his ‘stockpile’ of piano based music that he’d periodically sent Jan & I each time he’d written and recorded a new idea. I began adding guitars to them, then I’d play them to Virgil. He’d then surprise me by bringing up other channels of instrumentation which I’d never heard. The tunes went from straightforward ‘duets’ to something bigger & better, more of a complete picture than a mere shape. “Free Fall” & “Nick’s Star” were added from earlier sessions, the latter being his tribute to the passing of his best friend Nick Hirsch. “Nexus” explores a completely different side of Virgil’s ability, as a writer & keyboard player – ‘in his own right’. His talents were multi-diverse, so sitting at a keyboard & computer or in the middle of his drum kit, at all his regular DJ-ing gigs or on the radio, he always gave his best. We hope that the music just completed will stand as a fitting tribute to his life and legacy.”

“Nexus” is an instrumental, cinematic record fusing wonderful keys, brilliant guitar playing, and dynamic, moody grooves.

Release date: Friday, November 17, 2017

Offline goo-goo

I also definitely want to postface my comments with the opinion that I think DT downsizing is a "good" thing. I wouldn't mind seeing them become sort of like a Marillion, who are well past the point of trying to dominate the market and are just happy to keep churning out new music their fans enjoy.

It was the other PT band members who forced the release of Octane Twisted. Wilson got out voted.

Offline erwinrafael

This photo that came with the announcement:

It still screams metal, but at least James and Mike are smiling.  :lol

I also find it funny that James is wearing a SoA shirt. Sons of Anarchy.  :lol

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
That photo is horrible. 
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online MirrorMask

That photo is horrible.

Yes it is. Two band members out of five are cropped (maybe it was a larger pic adapted?) and the "gritty" effect on their faces, especially Jordan, is ugly.

Also they look too metal for the kind of music they do. Iron Maiden themselves always dress casual in the booklet pics, take a hint DT!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think the picture is fine, some of the effects and fakeness look is a bit much

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
i think back in the day when RR was run by Cees wessels it was a good label for bands to be with,I think that changed when it was sold to Warner.Offices closed  down and the contact with bands was changed due to let go of persons.At least that's what i've read  once from a band who left RR.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That photo is horrible.

Yes it is. Two band members out of five are cropped (maybe it was a larger pic adapted?) and the "gritty" effect on their faces, especially Jordan, is ugly.

Also they look too metal for the kind of music they do. Iron Maiden themselves always dress casual in the booklet pics, take a hint DT!

Yeah, the pic is kind of "icky".
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
That photo is horrible.

The picture that I saw on DT.net or Blabbermouth weren't cropped, but I agree with the other comments about the effects and the metal look.

Offline Madman Shepherd

I love critiquing the way they dress. Maybe we should start a separate fashion thread for all the fashionistas.

Offline Evai

I think the picture looks fine, the main thing is that they look like a band.

These guys look like a bunch of thugs about to get into a fight
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline erwinrafael

Is James sitting on Mike and John's laps? Can't they get a bigger sofa?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
It's called 'Manspreading.'
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Mladen

This was THE look for me.

Offline Fritzinger

It's always been the same, DT releases big news with some photo and after some comments about the actual news we get stuck on the picture and kinda stay there  :rollin
any rock can be made to roll

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
It's always been the same, DT releases big news with some photo and after some comments about the actual news we get stuck on the picture and kinda stay there  :rollin

I'm not bashing the band, I'm one of the biggest DT fanboys around.  But I highly doubt the guys got together and decided to strike that look.  And if Sony thinks that kind of image is going to draw in new fans I think they don't really understand the appeal of DT.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
That would be a fine picture IF DT was a black metal band. They're not, and that's an awful picture to put out there.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Fritzinger

Not telling you are bashing, just observing :D

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
Not telling you are bashing, just observing :D

It's cool.  With no new DT release for over a year we will all have cabin fever by then.  We will be discussing what deodorant MM wears and which member makes the best waffles.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
Well, to be fair, I don't think there's a single band photo in the entire history of the world that doesn't look either ridiculously uncomfortable or silly. Metal bands have it the worst.

We will be discussing what deodorant MM wears and which member makes the best waffles.

I'm going to go with Mangini on that one. Petrucci abandoned eating human food centuries ago when he found that eating planets improved his guitar playing ability, Rudess and Myung don't strike me as the waffle type, and LaBrie I would guess leans more towards pancakes. Mangini seems like he has the personality of a cool goofy dad, so he probably has a good breakfast repertoire and wears Old Spice because he likes the commercials so much.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

I'm not bashing the band, I'm one of the biggest DT fanboys around.  But I highly doubt the guys got together and decided to strike that look.  And if Sony thinks that kind of image is going to draw in new fans I think they don't really understand the appeal of DT.

But aren't those outfits the same as what the perform live in?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

But aren't those outfits the same as what the perform live in?
Basically, yeah.  Not sure why anyone would fault the band or the label for the band just basically being themselves.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
It's not the clothes.  It's the metal death stares and morose expressions.  To me DT's music is about skill rather than attitude.  It's about inspiration, hope and creativity rather than we will F you up if you piss us off.  And I really don't care what they look like but when I think DT I don't think of them as a typical metal band, which is kinda the way the pic makes them look.  That would certainly be selling them short.  But it matters not truly, I just think it is not a good pic.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
There's nothing about their look that makes me feel like you feel. I guess just opinions and all. But MM has a smirk, not really intimidating.  Other than wearing black, there's nothing that says death metal and even wearing black, to me, doesn't  associate with some tough guy death metal look.

Offline geeeemo

Well, I love metal, was drawn to DT originally by their heavier sounds ( and piano and stories and orchestral sound, oh, so the prog...) I like the edgy look. I guess I am in the minority, but that is my female perspective. I think that it is fun to see JP looking like a hit man and  JLB as the good guy lol!

Offline nattmorker

Re: Dream Theater Signs With SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT via its INSIDE OUT imprint
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2017, 01:38:22 PM »

Well, I love metal, was drawn to DT originally by their heavier sounds ( and piano and stories and orchestral sound, oh, so the prog...) I like the edgy look. I guess I am in the minority, but that is my female perspective. I think that it is fun to see JP looking like a hit man and  JLB as the good guy lol!

I was also drawn to DT by the heavy side of their sound. And I also like the "metal/dark" look (my least favorite in that regard was the FII era).

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Dream Theater Signs With SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT via its INSIDE OUT imprint
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2017, 02:16:51 PM »
I'm going to go with Mangini on that one. Petrucci abandoned eating human food centuries ago when he found that eating planets improved his guitar playing ability, Rudess and Myung don't strike me as the waffle type, and LaBrie I would guess leans more towards pancakes. Mangini seems like he has the personality of a cool goofy dad, so he probably has a good breakfast repertoire and wears Old Spice because he likes the commercials so much.

Are you serious? Jordan is THE waffle guy in the band.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2017, 05:13:33 PM »

Are you serious? Jordan is THE waffle guy in the band.

I would've pegged him more as a "breakfast burrito with scrambled eggs, a nice delectable fruit array, a cup of coffee, hashbrowns, and the energy from a pocket universe he designed using synthesis" kind of guy.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2017, 08:01:16 AM »
Roadrunner seems to have the more straight up "heavy" bands which in my opinion do not fit Dream Theater's identity. If you scroll through RR's roster, DT seems to be the one that doesn't look like the other. (Trivium, Korn, Killswitch Engage, etc.)

With Inside Out, DT fits in more. You look at the I/O roster and can see how DT fits better. (Fates Warning, Spock's Beard, Haken, etc.)

Of course it all comes down to business. The band and management must make decisions based on what is best for the band.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2017, 08:35:54 AM »
Would love for a DT/FW/Haken bill.  :metal