Author Topic: The Jolly Thread  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
The Jolly Thread
« on: November 30, 2015, 07:01:09 AM »
Anyone here a fan?

Jolly has an interesting newer way to crowdfund going forward, and if you are a fan you can check that out here: https://www.patreon.com/jollyband?ty=h

Also a free download of their new song Ava there.

Jolly for me is an interesting band, in that I'm not sure exactly how prog they are, but they absolutely got pulled into the prog community early and have seen a lot of support their since. But with their excellent focus on multimedia, and their live shows, I think to truly be successful they might have to find some way to distance themselves back out at some point to really try and nail a wider audience. I'm not even saying they are the best band deserving of mainstream success, but they have more potential to actually land it than most bands.

In any case, the main reason I started this thread is this... Jolly has a new animated series coming out, and I was lucky enough to get to see the first episode in advance. This thing is going to blow your mind it's so good, and I'm just waiting for them to share it. You will not be disappointed!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: The Jolly Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 07:07:11 AM »
I had the pleasure of discovering this band during my roulette, awesome band! I've been following their approach of releasing the new album aswell, and even though I didn't like Ava as much as the other stuff I've heard, I'm staying positive.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 07:10:50 AM »
Ava was the only new song they played when I just saw them, and even in a live setting it still doesn't seem like one of their stronger songs. Like you however, I'm hopeful for the new album.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 09:37:22 AM »
I'm in at the $10/song level for now.  I'll back it down after three songs so I get the signed CD with my name in it and when they hit their next stretch goal.

I seem to like them more than most people around here.  Their music always puts me in a good mood, and they have some awesome videos.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 10:41:49 AM »
I didn't know there was a new song of them out, thanks for the news!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 12:31:58 PM »
I can't understand why there's no thread for Jolly?!?!  :o

Audioguides to Happiness are great albums, especially part 2! I decided to join the Patreon campaign because they are just making damn good music. Ava is really nice song but the other 3 haven't been the best Jolly...

I love the joy there. Even though the music could be heavy but there are always elements of music joy. I love Jolly as they love you.  :heart
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:56:12 PM by YtseJamittaja »
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 05:07:56 PM »
Massive fan.... and I enjoy the new song although I'm guessing it'll throw some people. Love their ability to change stuff up and still make amazing music. Great, great, great band!!!  :tup

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 06:54:02 AM »
Jolly loves me.  :hat
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 08:16:53 AM »
I can't understand why there's no thread for Jolly?!?!  :o

Audioguides to Happiness are great albums, especially part 2! I decided to join the Patreon campaign because they are just making damn good music. Ava is really nice song but the other 3 haven't been the best Jolly...

I love the joy there. Even though the music could be heavy but there are always elements of music joy. I love Jolly as they love you.  :heart

Well, there is a thread now. :p

The Audio Guide albums have great music, but there is just something about the production, especially on 2, that has always turned me away. The low end is just very muddy. So in all honestly I probably listen to the debut more than anything. But you're right, the way they approach things is fantastic, and I look forward to Family.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 08:43:38 PM »
Jolly loves me.  :hat

I have a shirt to prove it.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 10:03:50 AM »
This band... Thisssss band... :D lol. Awesome music performed by awesome dudes who do awesome stuff like THIS...

- The JOLLYSHOW Ep 1 - JOLLY Kills Steven Wilson - Ft. Jolly, Steven Wilson, James LaBrie, Devin Townsend and Ziltoid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGtUyDznsr4

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 10:33:09 AM »
 :rollin

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 05:06:53 PM »
Saw that video too. Super funny. I checked out their music after that and I am definetely a fan now.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 02:20:56 AM »
These guys seemed to hit a snag (life) over the last year but finally were able to release a new song the other week. I just seem to love everything they do. Their sense of melody in each song is remarkable IMO. They tend to focus on that first and then some really nice musicianship and they have bits of electronic and or keys and then heaviness too. On top of that I really enjoy the singer's (Anadale) voice, his style is a bit unique to me. If you haven't checked out any of their previous albums (Particularly The Audio Guide To Happiness Vol. I and II) you definitely should get on that NOW. Anyway enough of my gushing, here is their latest song they've released while they're currently working to finish up their new album "Family".

"Let go" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1heelcCttbc

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 11:41:11 AM »

Greetings Jellies!

JOLLY's fourth album, Family, is now available for preorder in our webstore!

The album is available both in standard and Deluxe Edition formats.  During the preorder phase, all copies of the album will be autographed by JOLLY!  Autographed copies will not be available in our webstore once the album is released on June 22nd.

We also have a new shirt available featuring album artwork created by our in-house artist, bassist Anthony Rondinone.  Get one today and spread the word of JOLLY!

Preorder: http://jolly.bigcartel.com/?mc_cid=752b220d08&mc_eid=1e22decf9b

We are also excited to announce that we will be playing shows in Europe to support the release of the album.  A full list of shows with ticket links is available here.

We look forward to reuniting with the many amazing fans that have supported this album every step of the way, as well as meeting new members of this incredible family we've formed together.

JOLLY loves you.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 01:08:07 PM »
Really digging this so far.  Love the different textures and moods they pull off.  Clearly, they are very talented musicians and songwriters.  So far it's inside my top 5 for 2019.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 01:50:29 PM »
Really digging this so far.  Love the different textures and moods they pull off.  Clearly, they are very talented musicians and songwriters.  So far it's inside my top 5 for 2019.

This is their most cohesive album to date. Songs are very strong, catchy...been struggling with how it sounds though...a bit muddy...but all of their releases have that muddiness.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2019, 10:03:35 PM »
Was a long time coming for this album... I know they had multiple things come up during its process; as well as the fact they they used their Patreon to put forth material along the way. I am generally an album person so even though I listened to stuff they put out individually over the last 3 or more years, I only listened to a few of the songs a couple times before the album released as a whole... point being, the waiting was torture to me lol.

Have only listened to the album a couple times through but I love the balance throughout. All of their material is so blended wonderfully with different styles and melody and "Family" is right in line with that. Great stuff and goes into my top 5 in a busy year for music! Check it out!!! :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 01:29:16 AM »
Haven't heard this one yet, but the Audio Guides are among my favourite albums, so I will listen to this one soon, I suppose.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LordCost

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2019, 05:26:54 PM »
I am trying from many days to see if the album is on Spotify without success. They updated the band image with the Family album but only that without new music.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2019, 06:38:12 PM »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline LordCost

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2019, 12:23:38 AM »
Thanks a lot, I have a new album to listen at work today!

Offline LordCost

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2019, 11:28:17 AM »
First impression is that with this album they covered a broader range of styles, taking to the extreme all their styles already explored in the past. They went poppier than ever in the song Ava and heavier than ever in the bonus song Masquerade. They also explored new sounds like in the second track of the album, the one which impressed me the most for now (I already heard Ava an year ago and was a bit shocking)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2019, 08:06:30 PM »
Since I was part of the patreon campain, I’m listening to this album for a long time... it’s good, it has a interesting range of styles and Ava and Let Go are fantastic... but I don’t think it surpass the two audio guides, which it was a bit disapointing to me.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2019, 03:27:32 PM »
Really quite enjoying the new album. It may even crack my top 10! I ended up listening to all their albums today and then the new one again. Is it me or are Jolly and VOLA very, very similar? Anyone who likes Jolly but hasn't gotten around to checking out VOLA, get on it now!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2019, 07:00:56 PM »
I'm not a fan of VOLA, but the band who Jolly remind me more of is DREAM THE ELECTRIC SLEEP.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2019, 04:07:40 PM »
Really quite enjoying the new album. It may even crack my top 10! I ended up listening to all their albums today and then the new one again. Is it me or are Jolly and VOLA very, very similar? Anyone who likes Jolly but hasn't gotten around to checking out VOLA, get on it now!

They both have an impressive blend of melody and heaviness (may be the keys/electronics as well). I think that's the similarity for me. Probably 6 months back or so JOLLY asked who they should tour with and I suggested VOLA. They responded that they found a new favorite with VOLA so it was cool to recommend the same to the band itself lol.