5 (15.2%)
★★★
3 (9.1%)
★★★★
13 (39.4%)
★★★★★
8 (24.2%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Rate "1979" by Smashing Pumpkins  (Read 1301 times)

Offline WildRanger

Rate "1979" by Smashing Pumpkins
« on: December 13, 2019, 08:32:24 AM »
1979 was the biggest hit by Smashing Pumpkins and one of the most popular alt. rock songs from the 90's.

How would you rate it and why? Musically how much does it appeal to you?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Rate "1979" by Smashing Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 08:35:29 AM »
Nothing about this band appeals to me.  Zero stars, if that option were available.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 08:36:45 AM »
4 stars. Better than the average song, but not a great song.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 08:38:04 AM »
3 stars, I dont like it but don't hate it either.

I do dislike the band....a lot.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 08:38:39 AM »
1 star because there isn't a lower option. I cannot stand TSP or Billy Corgan
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 08:46:35 AM »
5 stars baby, MTV and the masses got it right with Mellon Collie album being a huge hit.  That album is a work of art and 1979 is a really awesome song.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 08:57:18 AM »
5 stars baby, MTV and the masses got it right with Mellon Collie album being a huge hit.  That album is a work of art and 1979 is a really awesome song.

Not the hugest Smashing Pumpkins fan overall, but I got Mellon Collie at a pawn shop for a $1.00, and I have to say, it IS a work of art.  Twenty-eight songs, with not a ton of filler, and a fair amount of musical diversity.   That's not an album that was just dashed off in eight days or whatever (and there are, I believe, about four CDs worth of outtakes and alternate versions, some WILDLY different than the album versions).   I have a CD single of Zero that is 45 minutes long (with only the title track as overlap) and a CD single of 1979 that is 15 minutes long (also with only the title track as overlap).

I get it if one doesn't like Billy's voice or whatever, but that is not a minor work. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 11:10:16 AM »
I just YouTubed this.  Don't think I'd ever heard it before.  It was, at best, boring and, at worst, annoying.  Sounds like something that would've been really popular in the mid-90s.  2 stars.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 11:11:37 AM »
I just YouTubed this.  Don't think I'd ever heard it before.  It was, at best, boring and, at worst, annoying.  Sounds like something that would've been really popular in the mid-90s.  2 stars.
it actually was, yes
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »
 :lol

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 11:17:05 AM »
4. Great song.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 11:18:47 AM »
I went with 4 - I think it's a great song and one of their finest hits but it's not in my personal top15 Pumpkins songs.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 11:21:53 AM »
I get it if one doesn't like Billy's voice or whatever, but that is not a minor work.

I've heard the album and legit do not understand the praise for it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 11:25:21 AM »

I mean just a quick look at your RYM ratings there's really nothing among your highest ratings that sounds remotely close to Pumpkins so maybe it's a taste thing? :P I think Mellon Collie is a 5/5 but it's more up my alley musically as well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 11:28:57 AM »

I haven't heard the album.  But I've heard plenty from the band and legit do not understand the praise for them at all.  Well, actually, I "understand" it just fine--it's all about tastes, and I just generally don't like that genre, and like that band even less than many in the genre.  More accurately, I just personally don't agree with the praise.  So I guess you and I basically agree.

To put it differently, if I had a Smashing Pumpkins collection, I'd be perfectly fine giving it to TAC and letting him leave it in a shopping cart in the middle of the highway.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 11:30:30 AM »
In the left lane, no doubt?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2019, 11:31:22 AM »

I haven't heard the album.  But I've heard plenty from the band and legit do not understand the praise for them at all.  Well, actually, I "understand" it just fine--it's all about tastes, and I just generally don't like that genre, and like that band even less than many in the genre.  More accurately, I just personally don't agree with the praise.  So I guess you and I basically agree.

To put it differently, if I had a Smashing Pumpkins collection, I'd be perfectly fine giving it to TAC and letting him leave it in a shopping cart in the middle of the highway.

Look, man, 2020's gonna be a really weird year if you keep agreeing with me this much.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2019, 11:33:09 AM »
I actually don't find their music to really be up my ally and I never really liked grunge. I was a kid when those hits were on the radio and I got into them because of that, with Mellon Collie being my first album from them and I loved it even though I didn't and still kind of don't "get it".  It's just a bizarre artsy album and I think THAT is why it ends up working for me. It's just not like anything else I listen to and it stuck with me after all these years.  To Forgive almost had me in tears when Billy performed it a couple weeks ago.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2019, 12:30:43 PM »

Look, man, 2020's gonna be a really weird year if you keep agreeing with me this much.

Hey, I just got a flyer for a charity hockey game being played at... let me see here... it's a rink called the "Fourth Circle Of Hell".

Should be fun stuff!   :) :) :)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2019, 12:31:48 PM »

:rollin
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2019, 12:35:45 PM »

:rollin
:spitcoffee:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline DTA

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2019, 01:13:32 PM »
Favorite song of all time by one of my favorite bands of all time. 90’s Pumpkins were the most creative, unique band to ever exist.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2019, 01:39:07 PM »
When I was little, I recorded this song off the radio, but only that sound effect after every verse. It was entertaining for a minute. I kinda miss recording stuff off the radio.

2 stars.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2019, 02:34:29 PM »
One of those bands I can't turn off quick enough. 1 star minus 1

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2019, 11:42:44 AM »
I gave it 3 stars. Smashing Pumpkins have some great songs, but this is not one of them, for me.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2019, 12:09:14 PM »
The Smashing Pumpkins have never really done anything for me, except for this song, which I love. 5 stars.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2019, 05:29:02 PM »
great song.  Love the vibe.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Working man

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2019, 05:51:36 PM »
The Contortionist made a recent cover of this on their latest EP. it’s pretty solid.

I like the song...

WM

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2019, 05:53:45 PM »
I'll have to check that out since they are opening for Devin Tiwnsend and Haken this winter.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2019, 10:40:17 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2019, 07:38:08 AM »
5 stars. One of the best songs of the 90's.

Offline HOF

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2019, 07:30:16 PM »
Yo! I used to post over at the MP forum and have been lurking here since it got shut down. Not sure why this thread got me to post, but 1) I really like the Smashing Pumpkins and have been listening to them a lot lately, and 2) my enjoyment of this song was enhanced by this Rick Beato “What Makes This Song Great” video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GVDWSTCKgng

It’s mostly just a catchy pop song that reminds me of being a kid, but there’s also some cool production stuff going on under the hood as well. I love a good pop song with interesting production. I gave it 4 stars.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2019, 07:45:22 PM »
I don't know the song by title..

….youtubing….

OK, yes I've heard it. And it has to be one of the most uninteresting songs I've ever heard.

Voted 1 Star because Zero wasn't an option.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol