Author Topic: Albums covers that are great where the album is not  (Read 3708 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: Albums covers that are great where the album is not
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2019, 11:44:27 AM »
As much as I love Iron Maiden, I always thought the Eddie thing is kind of silly.  I do get it though, it has worked and served them well with album sales. So it's a good marketing tactic geared toward young metal heads back in the day.  It also has paid dividends in merchandise sales at their shows. Even still to this day, Eddie lives on quite well in the Maiden line-up.  :lol

You just wrote why Eddie isn't silly  :D I get it, if you don't like it, you don't like it, but Eddie is the greatest marketing stunt in heavy metal history. He's the quintessential mascot, Maiden didn't invent mascots but there isn't, and there won't be anymore, a mascot in heavy metal as worldwide recognizable as Eddie. Kiss marketed themselves as characters, sure, but Eddie is Eddie. No other mascot comes remotely close in terms of cultural impact.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2019, 12:01:43 PM »
As much as I love Iron Maiden, I always thought the Eddie thing is kind of silly.  I do get it though, it has worked and served them well with album sales. So it's a good marketing tactic geared toward young metal heads back in the day.  It also has paid dividends in merchandise sales at their shows. Even still to this day, Eddie lives on quite well in the Maiden line-up.  :lol

You just wrote why Eddie isn't silly  :D I get it, if you don't like it, you don't like it, but Eddie is the greatest marketing stunt in heavy metal history. He's the quintessential mascot, Maiden didn't invent mascots but there isn't, and there won't be anymore, a mascot in heavy metal as worldwide recognizable as Eddie. Kiss marketed themselves as characters, sure, but Eddie is Eddie. No other mascot comes remotely close in terms of cultural impact.
I guess Snaggletooth B. Warpig (Motörhead's mascot) did though. He ran the full gamut of merchandising too (like Eddie does)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2019, 12:04:33 PM »
Maybe; I think it's different though.  SBW is more of a logo in that sense, and for a band that's not nearly the size or impact of Maiden.   I've only seen Motorhead three times, but none of those had SBW walking on stage like Eddie (which even now is cool as shit). 

Online pg1067

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2019, 12:48:53 PM »

I guess Snaggletooth B. Warpig (Motörhead's mascot) did though. He ran the full gamut of merchandising too (like Eddie does)

Concur with Stadler, particularly that Motorhead is not and never was on anything close to the same level as Maiden.  Also, I had no idea that thing had a name.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2019, 12:55:32 PM »

Concur with Stadler, particularly that Motorhead is not and never was on anything close to the same level as Maiden.  Also, I had no idea that thing had a name.
Ok then, very sorry.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2019, 01:17:16 PM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2019, 01:51:32 PM »
Hear in the Now Frontier.
I can see why you selected that one for this thread. But honestly, I just don't get the appeal of that cover - maybe the title of the album caused me to think that the cover would have a deeper meaning or something. But a bunch of detached ears in mason jars in a wilderness just doesn't do it for me. (Personal opinion, I know)

Same with St. Anger - don't understand how that album cover is really appealing. Some of Pushead's other artwork for Metallica is pretty cool, but not that, IMO.

any Portnoy-era DT album
It amazes me that you could ever have been a DT fan before MM came aboard judging by all your hatred for everything from the MP-era.

In before Stadler posts about Grace Under Pressure!    :biggrin:

If they had used the back image of the egg in the vice, then it would fit this category.  Hold Your Fire and Roll the Bones also qualify (although I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that the cover of RtB is "great").
Interesting - the egg and vice artwork isn't all that amazing to me, but the front cover is probably my favorite one out of all Rush's covers.

Regarding RtB, good choice - forgot about that one. I think the artwork is pretty clever and impressive given that Photoshop was still in it's infancy back then. But HYF? If the juggler artwork was used on the cover, sure. But just 3 simple red balls on a red background? Meh.

Fear of a Blank Planet
Seriously? Love the artwork and the album - one of my favorites from PT!

How about Megadeth's Vic Rattlehead? He may not have been on every album cover and he doesn't stomp around the stage like Eddie, but otherwise I'd say he's right up there with Eddie.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2019, 02:15:32 PM »
Hear in the Now Frontier.
I can see why you selected that one for this thread. But honestly, I just don't get the appeal of that cover - maybe the title of the album caused me to think that the cover would have a deeper meaning or something. But a bunch of detached ears in mason jars in a wilderness just doesn't do it for me. (Personal opinion, I know)

Same with St. Anger - don't understand how that album cover is really appealing. Some of Pushead's other artwork for Metallica is pretty cool, but not that, IMO.

any Portnoy-era DT album
It amazes me that you could ever have been a DT fan before MM came aboard judging by all your hatred for everything from the MP-era.

In before Stadler posts about Grace Under Pressure!    :biggrin:

If they had used the back image of the egg in the vice, then it would fit this category.  Hold Your Fire and Roll the Bones also qualify (although I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that the cover of RtB is "great").
Interesting - the egg and vice artwork isn't all that amazing to me, but the front cover is probably my favorite one out of all Rush's covers.

Regarding RtB, good choice - forgot about that one. I think the artwork is pretty clever and impressive given that Photoshop was still in it's infancy back then. But HYF? If the juggler artwork was used on the cover, sure. But just 3 simple red balls on a red background? Meh.

Fear of a Blank Planet
Seriously? Love the artwork and the album - one of my favorites from PT!

How about Megadeth's Vic Rattlehead? He may not have been on every album cover and he doesn't stomp around the stage like Eddie, but otherwise I'd say he's right up there with Eddie.
Vic would have been my other guess. (my favouite Megadeth art is that of The System Has Failed). Btw, Scotty, it's MP's drumming (and his personality that he exhibited when I met him as a child) that peeves me, I like an estimated 90% (or probably more) of the MP era pieces based on the songwriting, which I still would speak highly of today (although I still think that modern day DT has evolved in that respect as well). The very few Portnoy era pieces I dislike concerning the songwriting are most of FII and Take The Time. I even love When Dream And Day Unite concerning the songwriting aspect. I even get inspired by JP's (and JM's) concepts of phrasing on their instruments (although I play the drums), so even if you think I'm kind of an extremist (which I may be in some respects), I think I'm not too much of that concerning every aspect of DT. There is plenty I love about them. (concerning modern day DT: JP's and JM's work on PBD and Illumination Theory as examples). I hope this will clarify some things. Anyway, carry on everyone. That's all for today from me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2019, 12:30:47 PM »

I will defend Roll the Bones to the death as far as it being a really good album, and I think it is one of their best album covers, although most of Rush's album covers are, at worst, quite good.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2019, 12:45:18 PM »

I will defend Roll the Bones to the death as far as it being a really good album, and I think it is one of their best album covers, although most of Rush's album covers are, at worst, quite good.
Scotty, I always thought Photoshop came up much later than 1992, never thought it was used or available at that time already. Interesting, coming to think of that then.

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2019, 02:26:54 PM »
Soundgarden - King Animal

Growing up in the 90s Soundgarden was one of the few Seattle/grunge bands that any lasting impact with me so I was pretty excited to hear them finally reunite. I like this cover but was never blown away with the overall music on the album - just meh to me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2019, 02:47:45 PM »
Are we going to do an opposite?   Great albums with shitty covers?   Off the top of my head:

Kiss - Unmasked (yes, I think this is a great - or at least really good - album)
Priest - Defenders Of The Faith (yes, this is a great album)
Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station
Yes - Big Penetrator
Marillion - Season's End

And the great album with a cover so shitty it's almost great itself:  Black Sabbath - Sabotage

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2019, 03:05:50 PM »
Are we going to do an opposite?   Great albums with shitty covers?   Off the top of my head:
Maybe a new thread would be more suitable :P. But I'll contribute anyways:

Online pg1067

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2019, 03:33:25 PM »

HYF is simple and clean, although I agree that it would be an overstatement to call it "great" (and yeah, the juggler might have been better).  I also agree that Rush's album covers were consistently in the very good to great range (don't dislike the cover of GUP,, but I also wouldn't call it great but can't find fault with those who do).

I always thought Photoshop came up much later than 1992, never thought it was used or available at that time already. Interesting, coming to think of that then.

If the info in the Wikipedia article is accurate ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop ), it was first released in February 1990.

Kiss - Unmasked (yes, I think this is a great - or at least really good - album)
Priest - Defenders Of The Faith (yes, this is a great album)
Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station
Yes - Big Penetrator
Marillion - Season's End

And the great album with a cover so shitty it's almost great itself:  Black Sabbath - Sabotage

I would disagree strongly that the Defenders cover is shitty, and I'd say Big Generator is just plain boring, but not bad, much less shitty.

I know nothing about the music on the Bent Knee album, but that's a pretty cool cover (and LTE1 isn't bad either).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2019, 03:57:12 PM »
Are we going to do an opposite?   Great albums with shitty covers?
Don't know how good the album is, but for shitty covers, I think Millie Jackson takes the crown for me.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 04:06:15 PM by Learning2Live »

Online pg1067

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2019, 04:57:06 PM »
Are we going to do an opposite?   Great albums with shitty covers?
Don't know how good the album is, but for shitty covers, I think Millie Jackson takes the crown for me.

I had to google to find out who that is, and she apparently released 27 albums between 1972-2001.  Care to narrow down which album you're talking about?

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2019, 04:58:08 PM »
The 'Back to the Shit' album cover. That was me trying to make a joke....sorry!!

Online pg1067

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2019, 05:07:27 PM »
The 'Back to the Shit' album cover. That was me trying to make a joke....sorry!!

:lol :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2019, 02:05:29 PM »

Queensryche's early years owns this category.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2019, 02:43:56 PM »

YES - Going For The One
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2019, 08:47:07 PM »
!!! - Myth Takes

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2019, 09:07:10 PM »

I personally happen to like half of it very much, but for the masses, the popular opinion is that the album isn't good. The artwork however,  :tup

Bingo!  We have a winner!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2019, 09:10:42 PM »
Marillion's Afraid Of Sunlight Deluxe Edition is another.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2019, 06:52:34 AM »

YES - Going For The One

Actually, I love that cover.   

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2019, 06:56:54 AM »

YES - Going For The One

Took me some moments to realize it wasn't a positive comment about wanting to take the thread in the opposite direction of the original question.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2019, 03:28:11 PM »

First that comes to mind is the first Mullmuzzler. Great music, horrible cover.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2019, 09:43:52 PM »

One of the best album covers I've ever seen. I want to like this album so much, just because of the cover. And it's not bad, it's pretty decent prog-ish tech death, but it's not something I ever find myself coming back to on its own merits. But sometimes I look at the album cover again and give it another try.

Online pg1067

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2019, 11:39:50 AM »

YES - Going For The One

Actually, I love that cover.

I snapped this a couple years ago.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2019, 12:11:38 PM »
Thank god you didn't do a nude selfie in front of them. 

(Cool shot, though.   Really cool.)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2019, 01:20:30 PM »
Scalding hot take: The Human Equation

Got room in that canoe for one more? Gorgeous, brilliant artwork, but a boring album.

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

I'll chip in so we can upgrade to at least a speedboat
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online pg1067

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2019, 01:42:22 PM »
Thank god you didn't do a nude selfie in front of them. 

(Cool shot, though.   Really cool.)

Thanks.

If only I knew how to photoshop....

Offline dparrott

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2019, 10:32:45 AM »

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2019, 11:29:50 PM »

Man, that Reasoning one makes me so sad. I adore the first two albums. But once the two male vocalists left, we were left with that bore of a final album. That's why I enjoyed the first two albums. Three vocalists playing off of each other, great melodies. The female singer worked well with the other two, but I just felt like she couldn't really carry whole songs by herself. She had this very specific way of singing and it gets old on its own really fast.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2019, 11:31:20 PM »

One of the best album covers I've ever seen. I want to like this album so much, just because of the cover. And it's not bad, it's pretty decent prog-ish tech death, but it's not something I ever find myself coming back to on its own merits. But sometimes I look at the album cover again and give it another try.
agree that the art is very good
but also the album itself is very good