Author Topic: The Sea Within (feat. Stolt, Gildenlöw, Reingold, Brislin, Minnemann)  (Read 24582 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Huge, HUGE mess up today - Roine called, and I had it in my calendar that we'd be speaking on Tuesday, not on Monday. He was cool about it though, I wasn't ready yet and didn't have my questions with me, so we rescheduled for tomorrow.

For those of you still wondering, the three guest appearances - Jordan Rudess, Jon Anderson and Rob Townsend - all appear on disc one. The album surely has that retro-prog feel, but with a lot more modern influences. Like the first single already released, on many others there's a significant change of pace from their starting points. I didn't really click with the album on the first listen, but on my third it finally resonated with me. Don't discard this album so quickly guys, it's definitely a grower.

Anyway, I'll talk to Roine tomorrow, but the interview can only be published ten days before the release, unfortunately. So I'll post the link here on June 12.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Just spoke with Roine for 40 minutes...great interview, and I asked some of the questions posted here. The most surprising bit of the interview was that they invited Jordan Rudess first and he said yes, but then the DT camp complained about it. He ended up playing on one song of the album, and will hopefully join them on stage on CTTE.

Offline The Letter M

Just spoke with Roine for 40 minutes...great interview, and I asked some of the questions posted here. The most surprising bit of the interview was that they invited Jordan Rudess first and he said yes, but then the DT camp complained about it. He ended up playing on one song of the album, and will hopefully join them on stage on CTTE.

Interesting bit about Riders and DT. Are they not allowing their members to join other bands anymore for fear of losing them? :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I get not wanting to get burned again after what happened with Portnoy and AS, but that is kind of disappointing.  Rudess is not a boat rocker, but I am sure he couldn't have pleased about being told he couldn't do something he wanted to do.

Online goo-goo

I know JLB came out basically saying that the DT camp did not influence the Progpower cancellation decision, but maybe they did. Seems like they did it with Rudess too.

Offline gzarruk

I know JLB came out basically saying that the DT camp did not influence the Progpower cancellation decision, but maybe they did. Seems like they did it with Rudess too.

Didn't Bosk confirm that? I think the PP thing was a James issue, either personal, with his vocals, or something with his band.

About the JR thing, I get it, but I don't agree with the decision either. He already did 2 albums with LMR and it wouldn't have hurt to let him do this as well, but my guess is that they didn't want Jordan in a band that's more than just a project, they have touring plans, so I can see how that could've interfered with DT's plans. Still, not cool.

And, btw, what we know is that "the DT camp complained about it", but what does this mean? I don't see James, Mike or Myung complaining about this, so it was either JP, who basically runs the band at this point (and that's not a bad thing), or the management. I bet it was the management, as in "you have to prioritize DT over anything else", but what do you guys think? JP is such a cool guy, IMO, that I don't think he would get too upset about this, even though I think he said, IIRC, he did not agree with Portnoy touring with A7X in the first place.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

Hope this hasn't been posted here before, insideout has posted a review by Prog Nick:

https://progreport.com/the-sea-within-the-sea-within-album-review/
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Didn't Bosk confirm that? I think the PP thing was a James issue, either personal, with his vocals, or something with his band.

About the JR thing, I get it, but I don't agree with the decision either. He already did 2 albums with LMR and it wouldn't have hurt to let him do this as well, but my guess is that they didn't want Jordan in a band that's more than just a project, they have touring plans, so I can see how that could've interfered with DT's plans. Still, not cool.

And, btw, what we know is that "the DT camp complained about it", but what does this mean? I don't see James, Mike or Myung complaining about this, so it was either JP, who basically runs the band at this point (and that's not a bad thing), or the management. I bet it was the management, as in "you have to prioritize DT over anything else", but what do you guys think? JP is such a cool guy, IMO, that I don't think he would get too upset about this, even though I think he said, IIRC, he did not agree with Portnoy touring with A7X in the first place.

Look, I've never met the guy personally, and others here have, but what does he's "such a cool guy" have to do with it?   He is cool, and Mike has been his friend since they were ogling cheerleaders in Kenmore Square, but when it came time to choose between DT taking time off or DT taking a break with their drummer, well, we know how that went down.   I don't think "being a cool guy" and "Hey boss, I'd really rather you didn't at this point in time" are not mutually exclusive. 

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni

Look, I've never met the guy personally, and others here have, but what does he's "such a cool guy" have to do with it?   He is cool, and Mike has been his friend since they were ogling cheerleaders in Kenmore Square, but when it came time to choose between DT taking time off or DT taking a break with their drummer, well, we know how that went down.   I don't think "being a cool guy" and "Hey boss, I'd really rather you didn't at this point in time" are not mutually exclusive.

It was not DT taking time off though.... it was an indefinite hiatus he asked for. Makes a very big difference.
Had MP asked for 6 months off I think it would have gone in another direction altogether.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
We don't need to rehash conversations from eight years ago that none of us were actually party to, but  suffice to say, given past history I don't think it's completely and utterly out of the question for that JP/JR conversation to have gone down in a way that left JR with the feeling that the best answer for all was for him to excuse himself from that project.   

Offline gzarruk

Well, you got a point here. What I was trying to say is that I don’t picture JP complaining (that’s the word used here) about it, since that’s not really his personality (and you’re right, I don’t know him, but some here do). But yea, I think it’s very possible he was against it.

About the MP-DT break, I think it’s a bit different because they were basically told they had to put their full time job (and main income source) on hold for an indefinite period of time (since Mike later denied the 5 years thing) and it wouldn’t have been the wisest thing to do for the rest of them, since they didn’t have amy big side projects to work on during that time, while Mike was touring big time with A7X. Even Jordan commented at the time that it didn’t feel right for MP to call all the shots from the outside while they were just sitting, waiting for him to finish whatever other plans he had in mind with his 87 other bands.
Also, let’s not forget that MP thought he was going to join A7X full time, so I bet he made clear to DT that he planned to do it for a long time, leaving them inactive for indefinite time.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't have any particular interest in any of these guys so have only checked this thread now. I saw a song was released so just listened to it. Or most of it, rather. Boring vocal melodies, and my god, that sax section was awful. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Fritzinger

I don't have any particular interest in any of these guys so have only checked this thread now. I saw a song was released so just listened to it. Or most of it, rather. Boring vocal melodies, and my god, that sax section was awful.

Wott?? I LOVE the sax section! Very Starless/VdGG like.
And Daniel Gildenlöw can make any melody sound awesome.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcBWacph6mE

I was real harsh on the first release but I quite like what's going on here.  Excitement restored..

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcBWacph6mE

I was real harsh on the first release but I quite like what's going on here.  Excitement restored..

I was super excited for this project since Daniel is my favorite musician, but almost nothing in that trailer did anything for me. It was bland and extremely generic for the genre.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline PepeLePew

Re: The Sea Within (feat. Stolt, Gildenlöw, Reingold, Brislin, Minnemann)
« Reply #192 on: June 01, 2018, 08:59:17 AM »
 :tup Great write-up! Now I'm looking forward to it EVEN MORE!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #193 on: June 01, 2018, 09:32:47 AM »
We don't need to rehash conversations from eight years ago that none of us were actually party to, but  suffice to say, given past history I don't think it's completely and utterly out of the question for that JP/JR conversation to have gone down in a way that left JR with the feeling that the best answer for all was for him to excuse himself from that project.

I hate comments like that. Why not just say the JR was busy with DT? Who knows the real reason but thanks to his comment speculation runs rampant (yay internet!). Maybe it's as simple as that JR couldn't commit because DT is in the studio writing/recording. He should have just kept his mouth shut.

What is Casey's involvement? I haven't really been following this project.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2018, 10:06:05 AM »
What is Casey's involvement? I haven't really been following this project.

He's filling in for Daniel on the live shows, and also sang a couple songs on the album.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #195 on: June 02, 2018, 08:50:51 AM »
I miss the time when albums didn't have all this marketing, promoting and brouhaha, descriptions, conceptions, teasers, studio videos and updates, making offs and masturbation. Mostly people didn't even know a new album was coming until it suddenly was released. The artists also weren't so fussy about details. Music was more free, more spontaneous, I feel. Now people have to create this aura, this identity, this expectation, in order to promote an album. "Oh, we are the so and so, and this is the kind of music we play, we are special".

There's a lot more distractio....uh competition  now.

For what's it's worth, I haven't heard a note or read a review of this yet. Doesn't look like there's going to be a US Tour so I preordered the album a few days ago. I really don't know much about it other than who is involved which is enough for me to know I'll enjoy this.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Fritzinger

Offline gzarruk

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #199 on: June 08, 2018, 08:19:45 AM »
New song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MszeNIcxmrg

Solely from the fact that there's no awkward melodies or subpar sax solo, this one is already better. But I actually really enjoyed this song, pretty good prog ballad.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #200 on: June 08, 2018, 09:03:54 AM »
Casey sounds amazing on this song. I loved the lyric "I Fly no colors, because I fly alone." Its a great smooth song. The ending is great.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #201 on: June 08, 2018, 10:58:17 AM »
Very good vibe for this song. Really excited to hear the whole album.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #202 on: June 08, 2018, 12:54:58 PM »
Really enjoying the new single. Everyone sounds on point serving the song in interesting ways, especially Casey and Marco. This is what a supergroup should strive to be. It doesn't sound - so far - like it was rushed out in a world record 2 weeks. Really hope it pays off for these guys. I can't wait to get my hands on this album.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #203 on: June 08, 2018, 01:22:43 PM »
It doesn't sound - so far - like it was rushed out in a world record 2 weeks.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #204 on: June 08, 2018, 01:45:50 PM »
It doesn't sound - so far - like it was rushed out in a world record 2 weeks.

:lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: June 10, 2018, 07:57:44 AM »
Yeah, I liked this song way more than Ashes of Dawn. This was great. Excited for the album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #206 on: June 10, 2018, 11:10:36 AM »
"I fly no colors" sings the lead singer of Flying Colors. What should we take from that?   :yeahright

In seriousness though, I like this a lot better than the first one already.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #207 on: June 10, 2018, 11:26:38 AM »
Once again my issue is with the very lazy and forgettable vocal melodies/lyrics.  Plus the chorus sounds like a Casting Crowns chorus in odd time.  Not impressed. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #208 on: June 10, 2018, 07:36:35 PM »
That song was better than the first, but still not overly impressed so far.  This will definitely be a "check out the rest before I buy it" CD.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #209 on: June 11, 2018, 01:10:10 AM »
Yeah, it might have been a release day purchase for me at one point, but I'm probably gonna hold on it for now. Shame really. 2018's been quiet enough as it is.