Author Topic: The Sea Within (feat. Stolt, Gildenlöw, Reingold, Brislin, Minnemann)  (Read 24585 times)

Offline Fritzinger

I remember MP saying something like he wants to keep a Transatlantic release something special, so he doesn't want to make a Transatlantic album every two years or so. Don't know what he said exactly though. There were also 5 years between The Whirlwind and Kaleidoscope, so..
any rock can be made to roll

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
There were also 5 years between The Whirlwind and Kaleidoscope, so..

I hear you

Offline The Letter M

There were also 5 years between The Whirlwind and Kaleidoscope, so..

I hear you

Sooooo.... new album in 2019???  ;)

And I've heard MP make that quote before, too. I think Roine is up for it, he's just waiting for the right time for the others, though I think a lot of it hinges on Neal's busy schedule, as it is his place that they meet up to write/arrange/record, so I think once he is free enough, and the other three's schedules line up, they will probably set aside 2-4 weeks to get together this or next year.

I think MP's schedule is pretty booked this year with SOA, and then eventually new albums from Flying Colors and The Neal Morse Band, so I think we won't see Mike and Neal be open for TA5 until early/mid 2019, which means a late-2019 album release, at the earliest.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Neal has said that a 3rd Flying Colors is by no means a sure thing, so I wouldn't count of that any time soon.

I thought the new clip sounded okay, but Gildenlow's voice is always very hit or miss for me.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
I’ve been listening to this album almost nonstop. It’s a great release! Pretty solid.
And for me I am calling it AOTY (I am sorry Orphaned Land you have been dethroned)

Offline Fritzinger

I’ve been listening to this album almost nonstop. It’s a great release! Pretty solid.
And for me I am calling it AOTY (I am sorry Orphaned Land you have been dethroned)

Thanks for offering me another review, I have been listening to it since yesterday in the evening. I agree, it's a very strong album.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Neal has said that a 3rd Flying Colors is by no means a sure thing, so I wouldn't count of that any time soon.

I don't care for any of their other projects dammit!  >:(

Offline Fritzinger

I don't care for any of their other projects dammit!  >:(

I think with the second album they lost the way they established on the first album a little. The opener of Second Nature for instance is a classic Neal Morse song that could have been a Transatlantic or - well - a Neal Morse song.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
For those of you who already listened to this album, I'm really curious if the style is closer to "retro" prog, like Transatlantic, or it has some more modern influences? Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:53:43 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
For those of you who already listened to this album, I'm really curious if the style is closer to "retro" prog, like Transatlantic, or it has some more modern influences? Thanks!

The album definitely has modern influences, a true amalgamation of talents

Roine says it better than me

People have asked me how I would describe what we have done, and it is almost impossible. I would have to say it sounds like...us, ‘The Sea Within’. Our tastes are very eclectic – from prog to jazz to classical, to heavy rock, folk, punk, electronica and pop. We all come from a different background - so here everything goes. “This has been about putting those diverse influences into the music. I feel you will hear all that's good about pop – with great melodies and hooks – plus the rawness of metal, improvisations, symphonic and movie soundtracks. We also left room for each of us to take off on flights of instrumental jamming. That was the basic idea, anyway. But until we all got together, we had no idea where it would lead or if it would actually work.”

Online devieira73

Very cool, thanks!

Offline Fritzinger

I'd say it's really more diverse than any NM / TA / etc. album of the last few years. Of course it still has a retro-prog feeling, but with lots of different influences.

Offline gzarruk

Who, would you say, is the member that shines the most on this album? My bet is either Roine or Daniel
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Who, would you say, is the member that shines the most on this album? My bet is either Roine or Daniel

I would say the album it’s pretty well balanced, and that all of them shine equally.

Offline gzarruk

I would say the album it’s pretty well balanced, and that all of them shine equally.

That's good to hear! Hope they release a song soon.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
Their first single is already up on Spotify, Amazon, etc...

https://open.spotify.com/track/60bo5ihsQixym28iF6GMlv

Offline gzarruk

Their first single is already up on Spotify, Amazon, etc...

https://open.spotify.com/track/60bo5ihsQixym28iF6GMlv

Really? How did I miss this? ??? I’ll check it as soon as I have wifi connection.

Edit: It’s unavailable to play on my Spotify.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
We at Sonic Perspectives had a podcast tonight with a half hour discussion on this album. Should hopefully be online in the next 2-3 days, but I think you guys will dig hearing some more about this. :)
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Fritzinger

https://www.facebook.com/InsideOutMusic/posts/10156457025170439

First single, Ashes Of Dawn!

Very much looking forward to your discussion Nick :)

Offline ChuckSteak

First impression: generic as fuck.

But who knows... I will wait for the whole album.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
First impression: I love it. That was awesome.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Yeesh, that was not good.  Could the vocal melodies be more boring and unimaginative?  Someone in the know please tell me the rest of the album will be a lot better than that.

Offline ChuckSteak

But don't forget guys: THIS IS MORE THAN A MERE SUPERGROUP. IT IS AN AMALGAMATION OF TALENTS.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I wouldn't call it generic, but it's definitely unimaginative. I like the sax work, the rest is just OK. From the snippets I've heard I think the rest will be better than this one, so I'll wait and see.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline mikeyd23

I wouldn't call it generic, but it's definitely unimaginative. I like the sax work, the rest is just OK. From the snippets I've heard I think the rest will be better than this one, so I'll wait and see.

Yeah the sax section was probably my favorite part, beyond that - nothing about that song grabbed me at all. The whole thing seemed very...bland.

Offline DTA

This was awesome, I'm definitely excited

Online devieira73

I like this song a lot! And Daniel's vocals reminded me classic PoS  :tup

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
This song didn't grab my attention at all. Still cautiously optimistic about the album though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Hammy lyrics, incredibly lazy melody.  Expected better from this group.

Offline The Letter M

Fun to see a lot of polarizing opinions here - two extremes, not a lot, if any middle-ground opinions.... except mine. I didn't hate it, but I didn't LOVE it. It sounds more like TFK than I wanted, but I enjoyed hearing Tom and Marco give their talents to the trio of former TFK members in this. The sax part surprised me the most, but compared to the rest of the song, it wasn't much.

I liked it good enough, but not as much as some others here seem to like it. I want to hope that the rest of the album is more adventurous and less "safe". After Anderson/Stolt's album, I'm beginning to wonder if all of these projects are just vehicles for Roine's TFK music that he doesn't want to make with TFK anymore...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Honestly, after the Anderson/Stolt album and now hearing this song, I fear that Roine's creative peak is a thing of the past.  If so, I can't gripe, considering how much great music he had a major hand in writing from 1994-2012.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I enjoyed that song. Seems like a safe choice for a taste of the album, something familiar.

It got me interested in the album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

The song isn't bad at all, but I feel like they all wanted to do "their thing" at the same time, instead of trying to benefit the song. Still excited for the album, though. The lineup is really good.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Here we are, once you're done feasting on the first new track I believe the 2nd half of this episode will be of some interest: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/talking-perspectives-episode-five/
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
First impression: generic as fuck.

But who knows... I will wait for the whole album.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.