Author Topic: The Sea Within (feat. Stolt, Gildenlöw, Reingold, Brislin, Minnemann)  (Read 24593 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Sea Within (feat. Stolt, Gildenlöw, Reingold, Brislin, Minnemann)
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2018, 11:54:04 AM »
It's not indescribable.   That's just silly.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2018, 12:10:34 PM »
In Sweden prog rock has some weird connotations, hence the use of Art-Rock instead. In the end it's all just music for us to enjoy (or not)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2018, 12:57:50 PM »
In Sweden prog rock has some weird connotations

Like what? :o
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2018, 01:05:08 PM »
I miss the time when albums didn't have all this marketing, promoting and brouhaha, descriptions, conceptions, teasers, studio videos and updates, making offs and masturbation. Mostly people didn't even know a new album was coming until it suddenly was released. The artists also weren't so fussy about details. Music was more free, more spontaneous, I feel. Now people have to create this aura, this identity, this expectation, in order to promote an album. "Oh, we are the so and so, and this is the kind of music we play, we are special".
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:11:50 PM by ChuckSteak »

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2018, 01:11:51 PM »

It's not that prog has a different meaning it's just that there is a typically swedish genre called progg. A genre of politically protest songs. Working class against the capitalism....
Has absoluteley nothing to do with prog.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2018, 01:22:34 PM »
I miss the time when albums didn't have all this marketing, promoting and brouhaha, descriptions, conceptions, teasers, studio videos and updates, making offs and masturbation. Mostly people didn't even know a new album was coming until it suddenly was released. The artists also weren't so fussy about details. Music was more free, more spontaneous, I feel. Now people have to create this aura, this identity, this expectation, in order to promote an album. "Oh, we are the so and so, and this is the kind of music we play, we are special".

it's way less now than it used to be in the 70s and the 80s. when record companies ruled marketing was a necessity.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2018, 03:09:45 PM »
That was not how I was hoping this would sound.

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2018, 03:14:31 PM »

It's not that prog has a different meaning it's just that there is a typically swedish genre called progg. A genre of politically protest songs. Working class against the capitalism....

yeah that was it. I read in an interview somewhere that that was a reason to just call it Art Rock, as it still made sense with the genre of music they're making

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2018, 03:37:22 PM »

yeah that was it. I read in an interview somewhere that that was a reason to just call it Art Rock, as it still made sense with the genre of music they're making

Was no expecting this, but it definitely makes sense. Art rock isn't the term I would choose to describe this, but I guess it works.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2018, 04:11:06 PM »
Not really feeling it based on the sample. I'd like to hear a full song, though.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »
Finally got around to listening to the sample. Gotta say, I'm kind of happy with it. It's heavier than I expected, but I like that. Roine's got output for his more flowery and atmospheric stuff (with Jon Anderson), so hearing him do something heavier (and with those great vocals by Daniel) is a treat. I wish there was more of Jonas and Marco to hear in that clip near the end, but it was a good teaser for now.

Only 2 or so months out from the release date, so I can wait a bit longer. I'm trying not to hype this album up TOO much for myself, and I may try to avoid further samples/teasers, just so I can go in with a blank slate and keep the album fresh.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2018, 09:36:30 PM »

it's way less now than it used to be in the 70s and the 80s. when record companies ruled marketing was a necessity.

Yeah, but I think Chuck Steak is on to something.  I used to read the Best Buy flyer to see what was being released that week!   But it's more than just "marketing"; you're right there was a ton of marketing (remember "album flats"?  And radio releases?) but today it's more structured.  Everything is a sub-genre.  "Hey this is the viking prog black metal release of the year!"   It's like a couple years ago when Marillion had to label everything as a cross between "Massive Attack, Radiohead, and whatever the fuck".    Not at all coincidentally, that's when I stopped buying.    Just plug in and play, man.  If your drummer is jazz and your bass player is blues, and your guitar player is heavy riff-based rock and your singer is a closet Beatles fan, guess what?  You get Black fucking Sabbath.  You never heard Geezer Butler calling Tull pussies for having floots, did you?   No, in fact, Iommi went and joined them!   

Got off on a little rant there, sorry! 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2018, 04:06:12 AM »
It's not indescribable.   That's just silly.

Music is nigh-on impossible to adequately describe in mere words, despite the vast number of attempts to do so. We all try to describe music, but none of us get anywhere near the mark. We have to invent all these labels for it and compartmentalize everything, which subsequently bring their own preconceptions into the mind, positive or negative. And we all have our own unique perception of music, which complicates matters further. So none of us are right and none of us are wrong. Just listen.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2018, 06:10:15 AM »
Hogwash.  I actually laugh at labels. I certainly can describe what I hear.  I need no labels.  Good music is good music.  Can I describe what I hear? Damn straight I can.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2018, 05:51:58 AM »
That teaser is not what I was expecting at all and that makes me a lot more interested in this project.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2018, 06:21:12 AM »

Yeah, but I think Chuck Steak is on to something.  I used to read the Best Buy flyer to see what was being released that week!   But it's more than just "marketing"; you're right there was a ton of marketing (remember "album flats"?  And radio releases?) but today it's more structured.  Everything is a sub-genre.  "Hey this is the viking prog black metal release of the year!"   It's like a couple years ago when Marillion had to label everything as a cross between "Massive Attack, Radiohead, and whatever the fuck".    Not at all coincidentally, that's when I stopped buying.    Just plug in and play, man.  If your drummer is jazz and your bass player is blues, and your guitar player is heavy riff-based rock and your singer is a closet Beatles fan, guess what?  You get Black fucking Sabbath.  You never heard Geezer Butler calling Tull pussies for having floots, did you?   No, in fact, Iommi went and joined them!   

Got off on a little rant there, sorry! 

But why would any of that bother you? If, like me, you're not interested in really specific sub-genres and classifications, just ignore them.

The reason they exist is ultimately because there is just SO MUCH MUSIC being released now that classification would be impossible without them. Those of us who aren't interested in classification can easily continue to ignore them.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2018, 06:44:54 AM »
It bothers me because it affects the artists; Mike is so proud of being in "87 bands" and I get it, he's a machine, but I think when he goes in to his "prog project" or his "metal project" or his "whatever the f--- project", it becomes too rote.  Just play, man.   The beauty of the best of Dream Theater is that there were no labels.  You basically had Alex Lifeson playing over Steve Harris and Keith Moon, with Mark Kelly on keyboards and Steve Perry on vocals.  Then they wanted to be "more metal" and they all sort of homogenized things; growl vocals, LaBrie roughed his vocals up, they got rid of the Floyd like keys and went more "chop oriented", Petrucci lost that sort of trebly sound and started to sound like any of a 1000 metal guitarists... I know I'm grossly simplifying, but still.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2018, 06:48:09 AM »
It bothers me because it affects the artists; Mike is so proud of being in "87 bands" and I get it, he's a machine, but I think when he goes in to his "prog project" or his "metal project" or his "whatever the f--- project", it becomes too rote.  Just play, man.   The beauty of the best of Dream Theater is that there were no labels.  You basically had Alex Lifeson playing over Steve Harris and Keith Moon, with Mark Kelly on keyboards and Steve Perry on vocals.  Then they wanted to be "more metal" and they all sort of homogenized things; growl vocals, LaBrie roughed his vocals up, they got rid of the Floyd like keys and went more "chop oriented", Petrucci lost that sort of trebly sound and started to sound like any of a 1000 metal guitarists... I know I'm grossly simplifying, but still.

Agree with this, though I have no idea who Mark Kelly is.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2018, 07:02:32 AM »
Keyboard player for Marillion. Way more of a "Kevin Moore/Rick Wright" player than a Keith Emerson/Rick Wakeman player. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2018, 07:05:04 AM »
Who's Marillion?

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2018, 05:17:07 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/InsideOutMusic/videos/10156410356105439/

The band has released a studio episode! What do you guys think (I don’t want to watch it with sound)?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2018, 05:48:01 AM »
I got the chance to listen to the album (promo version thanks to Inside Out French promoter) and if you are a fan of Transatlantic, The Beatles and Yes, you will be pleased. If you do remember well, the first reveal song is the hardest. The rest is mainly prog rock. Nothing to do with Pain of Salvation. So nothing revolutionary here but those who were a bit fed up by Neal Morse's influence on Transatlantic should like the album.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2018, 06:53:19 AM »
Ok, I couldn't resist this time.

I think it sounds awesome! Daniel's vocals make it sound a little like PoS, but of course there's no metal here (at least in the trailer).

Pre-ordered.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2018, 07:08:50 AM »
Ohhh.. now I'm excited!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2018, 07:13:10 AM »
... if you are a fan of Transatlantic, The Beatles and Yes, you will be pleased ...

While this doesn't sound that bad, I was hoping for a little bit more innovation, modern influences, something different. Well, it could still be good, but my excitement isn't as big as it used to be.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2018, 12:41:15 PM »
It'd be awesome if these guys headlined ProgPower.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2018, 01:30:37 PM »
Bleh it sounds so Flower Kings

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2018, 01:54:31 PM »
Just preordered from Reingold Records...

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »
Bleh it sounds so Flower Kings

Where do you hear Flower Kings influences??
I mean, there's certainly some minor Stolt vibe, but the Gildenlöw vibe is just as present, and I don't just mean the vocals.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Hey, I'm going to interview Roine Stolt next week and just got The Sea Within's first album! Does anyone have a question for him?

Offline Fritzinger

Not sure if this has been answered anywhere, but this is just he first thing that comes to my mind:
They said that Daniel won't join the first tour, but will he also not be at the Loreley's Night Of The Prog?

Offline Fritzinger

Hey, I'm going to interview Roine Stolt next week and just got The Sea Within's first album! Does anyone have a question for him?

Could you share some of your thoughts about the new album?? Dying to hear it!!

Offline DTA

I have nothing specific about The Sea Within, but a few FK related questions:

1) Was Hydrophonia ever intended to be a FK album? It basically is the "lost" instrumental FK album and I think it's some of his most brilliant work, but I don't feel like many people know about it due to the fact that it isn't part of their official discography.

2) Are there any FK tracks that he feels that never got enough credit/recognition that he thinks are really good? And conversely, are there any FK tracks he dislikes for whatever reason?

3) How come I Am The Sun was never played as one full 25 minute piece? The first half of Part 2 is my favorite section of the song but is always omitted.

4) Any chance of a digital/mp3 version of Fantasia ever being released? There's literally no way to hear this album.

Thanks!

Offline The Letter M

4) Any chance of a digital/mp3 version of Fantasia ever being released? There's literally no way to hear this album.

Thanks!

Unless you hunt down a copy off eBay like I did many many years ago! Back in 2010, I won a copy, only cost me $31.33 after shipping and handling. It wasn't in mint condition, but it came with the disc, unscratched, and the original case and paperwork, though I think the cover was a bit worn down/foggy-looking after years of wear and tear.

I haven't spun it in a looooong time, but it's an interesting oddity in the history of Roine Stolt, pre-TFK and post-Kaipa, that weird 80's era. Now I just need copies of Behind The Walls and The Lonely Heartbeat...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Rod question for RS does The Sea Within means the end of Transatlantic? It’s been
It’s been 4 years since Kaleidoscope was released and I am dying to read news about the 4 guys getting together for a new adventure