Author Topic: The Sea Within (feat. Stolt, Gildenlöw, Reingold, Brislin, Minnemann)  (Read 24584 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Sea Within (feat. Stolt, Gildenlöw, Reingold, Brislin, Minnemann)
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2018, 06:36:00 PM »
I like Casey way more than Gildenlow as a singer, but that seems awfully bizarre to tour on your first album without your singer.  What is the point?

That said, still looking forward to the record.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2018, 10:24:08 PM »
I didn’t care too much for this project when it was first announced, but now I’m curious about it. Hope they release a song soon so we can have an idea of how it sounds like. The lineup is pretty good, so it’ll be a solid album at least.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2018, 01:12:22 AM »
Well, they have not announced any touring dates, except for the one gig at the Loreley. Maybe the no-Daniel thing does not apply for the Loreley.

22. of June is the release date. Man, this is still a long time :D Although I never listen to previously released singles, I hope they release something soon, because I want to know what you guys think :D

I also think the artwork is pretty kewl. Will be getting this on vinyl 100%.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2018, 05:25:56 AM »
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: at the utterly ridiculous statement on their homepage:

Let’s get one thing straight from the start. The Sea Within is more of an amalgamation of some serious talents, than a regular “supergroup”.

Bands seriously need to stop with these sorts of stupid and shallow marketing quips. What are they trying to achieve? And who actually gets hooked in by statements like this? Is anyone genuinely like "Oh I'd much rather listen to an amalgamation of serious talents than a supergroup!"

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2018, 05:56:21 AM »
Sadly no Daniel for touring. But they did get Casey McPherson so that's interesting.interesting

Ughhh! Casey is the only reason I can't stand listening to Flying Colors.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2018, 06:46:15 AM »
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: at the utterly ridiculous statement on their homepage:

Let’s get one thing straight from the start. The Sea Within is more of an amalgamation of some serious talents, than a regular “supergroup”.

Bands seriously need to stop with these sorts of stupid and shallow marketing quips. What are they trying to achieve? And who actually gets hooked in by statements like this? Is anyone genuinely like "Oh I'd much rather listen to an amalgamation of serious talents than a supergroup!"

They are saying it's about the music and not them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2018, 07:47:18 AM »

They are saying it's about the music and not them.

This is exactly what they mean. Surprised people didn't take it as such.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2018, 08:14:27 AM »
Isn't it always about the music? I mean they are all musicians, are they not?  :angel: ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2018, 08:21:54 AM »
Isn't it always about the music? I mean they are all musicians, are they not?  :angel: ;)

:lol

True but you know us fans........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2018, 08:32:25 AM »

No it's not.

"WE are the new kings of Prog Metal. WE all have sick chops, but we still have balls and a rockers"

*goes into the studio and takes a whole week to write a full album*

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2018, 08:50:46 AM »

No it's not.

"WE are the new kings of Prog Metal. WE all have sick chops, but we still have balls and a rockers"

*goes into the studio and takes a whole week to write a full album*

Well, they're not being that blunt about it but if you read the first paragraph it's actually quite pretentious.

These musicians have come together to create a unique album

Then, it goes to list all of the things these guys have been involved in, only to end with:

that of itself tells you this is something very special

So again, not as blunt as calling themselves the new kings of something, but still very much saying "look at how great we are".
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2018, 09:58:29 AM »
Well, if you just finished an album of course you are excited about it, and SOMEHOW the album has to be promoted. It has to be mentioned where these dudes played, that's just called marketing. It shows that this band could be interesting for fans of X, Y, Z.
Also it would sound pretty dull if they just wrote: They put together a pretty solid album.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2018, 11:09:03 AM »
"We made an album.  It's a solid 5/10.  Might be worth streaming on youtube a couple times."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2018, 11:24:31 AM »
I'm not saying these guys shouldn't promote themselves, I was just pointing out that every band does one way or the other. People complain about how Mike does it because it's blunt (I honestly don't like the approach either) but these guys are doing something similar but fancier and more pretentious. Instead of supergroup they call it "amalgamation of some serious talent". Instead of "We got sick chops" they do reference to what they've done before and say "that of itself tells you this is something very special".
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2018, 11:42:29 AM »
At least they talk like normal grown men, not like 15 year old teenagers who confuse being cool with behaving arrogant.

Anyway, I don't see anything arrogant in this press release. Also, I don't really think it was even written by them.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2018, 04:20:38 PM »
Looks like BurningShed has their pre-orders up early, for the vinyl and CD, and of course, they also have the track lengths...

https://burningshed.com/the-sea-within_the-sea-within_double-vinyl

LP

A (total - 23:05)
1 Ashes of Dawn 6:00
2 They Know my Name 5:10
3 The Void 4:55
4 An Eye For An Eye For an Eye 7:00

B (total - 19:50)
1 Goodbye 5:30
2 Broken Cord 14:20

C (total - 15:57)
1 Sea Without 2:27
3 The Hiding of Truth 5:30
2 The Roaring Silence 8:00

D (total - 18:12)
1 Where are you Going? 5:50
2 Time 7:12
3 Denise 5:10

CD 1 (total - 50:52)
1. Ashes of Dawn
2. They Know my Name
3. The Void
4. An Eye For An Eye For an Eye
5. Goodbye
6. Sea Without
7. Broken Cord
8. The Hiding of Truth

CD 2 - Bonus Material (total - 26:12)
1. The Roaring Silence
2. Where are you Going?
3. Time
4. Denise

Looks like the final four tracks are being treated as included "bonus material", similar to Spock's Beard's Noise Floor. And in actuality, despite being on two CDs, all the music could fit onto one disc, so that cements the idea that those last four tracks are just session extras and most likely are not meant to be a part of the album proper. Perhaps there's an overarching theme in those 8 songs that ties them together?

Either way, a total of 77:04 of music from these guys isn't too bad, even after six months of working together. I hope they used that time wisely and refined their pieces to perfection!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2018, 05:17:51 PM »
Looks good to me!

I don't see the issue with the "amalgamation of some serious talents" line.  Considering how much the term "supergroup" is overused these days, finding a more clever way to describe a handful of musicians coming together to make new music can't be a bad thing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2018, 05:28:37 PM »
There's no indication that it's a single album plus bonus disc like Spock's Beard's new one, so this may well be a fully-fledged double album. Would be cool to get some new extended compositions from one of the masters of that particular form.

Well, I guess my post above answers your question. The longest track, "Broken Cord" is just 14:20 long, and taking into account the four "bonus" songs, the average track length is about 6-7 minutes. I think we'll get some pretty tight songwriting with great chops throughout, knowing what guys like Marco and Jonas are capable of in terms of the rhythm department.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2018, 05:30:36 PM »
You know you're a prog fan when you utter (type) the words, "The longest song is only 14:20 long..." :lol :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2018, 09:15:10 PM »
You know you're a prog fan when you utter (type) the words, "The longest song is only 14:20 long..." :lol :lol

I was trying not to sound TOO much like that, but I guess it can't be helped.  :rollin

Given the pedigree of the band members, it wasn't wrong of me to hope for at LEAST one side-length epic. Maybe Roine is saving those compositions for the next Anderson/Stolt album?

I noticed earlier, after posting the track list, that the running order is different between the CDs and Vinyl, with "Sea Without" and "Broken Cord" having swapped places, mostly due to the length of the vinyl sides. I wonder how that'll affect the listening experience, especially if the album has a narrative that ties the 8 songs together.

-Marc.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2018, 12:03:30 PM »
Looks good to me!

I don't see the issue with the "amalgamation of some serious talents" line.  Considering how much the term "supergroup" is overused these days, finding a more clever way to describe a handful of musicians coming together to make new music can't be a bad thing.

Iagree with this.   "Supergroup" is used now for any band that has more than two members that played in anything that has more than two albums out.  You even see "supergroup" for bands that have the third touring guitarist for the non-Phil Black LA Guns and shit like that.  Please.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2018, 12:55:48 PM »
It's still a supergroup, whatever other fancy words you/they try and use to describe themselves.

And I take issue with this whole idea of "bonus material". It seems to me like there is no "standard version" being released, without the 2nd disc. So we all get the bonus tracks anyway. So why not just say they're part of the album? Also, both discs combined length would easily fit onto a single CD, at c. 77 minutes. It's a silly marketing gimmick and it needs to stop.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2018, 01:00:58 PM »
It's still a supergroup, whatever other fancy words you/they try and use to describe themselves.

And I take issue with this whole idea of "bonus material". It seems to me like there is no "standard version" being released, without the 2nd disc. So we all get the bonus tracks anyway. So why not just say they're part of the album? Also, both discs combined length would easily fit onto a single CD, at c. 77 minutes. It's a silly marketing gimmick and it needs to stop.

Perhaps they are "bonus" in that they don't fit with the rest of the album? Porcupine Tree had the same deal with The Incident, and Neal Morse had extra tracks on Testimony 2 that weren't a part of the main album's story (though in his case, they couldn't physically fit on the first disc anyway). Seems like Spock's Beard's upcoming album is also another case of "Bonus Tracks" on the regular edition of the album.

I think it's just a way for bands to put out more of their music rather than relegate these tracks to obscure B-Side status and never get released, or release them on some small-produced Fan Club disc, or worse, put them on compilations no one wants to buy for one or two "new" tracks.

-Marc.

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2018, 01:37:51 PM »
could be the bonus tracks are the ones with guestmusicians?

-"We have got Jordan Rudess from Dream Theater playing piano on one song. The legendary Jon Anderson sings on another track, while ‘wind ace’ Rob Townsend, who plays saxophone and flute with Steve Hackett, is also on the record. Each of them brings a different flavour to the music.”-

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2018, 05:06:05 PM »

Because, to some artists, crafting a cohesive album with a nice flow still matters, rather just recording everything and throwing it on to a CD in any order with no regard as to if everything fits, just because they can.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2018, 01:06:12 AM »

Probably, but only in the small prog-niche. Ask the people on the street and 99% won't have heard of any of them.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2018, 04:14:10 AM »

Because, to some artists, crafting a cohesive album with a nice flow still matters, rather just recording everything and throwing it on to a CD in any order with no regard as to if everything fits, just because they can.

I agree with this. If it destroys the "flow" of the album (even though it's not a concept album!), I think this is okay.
What I didn't understand is why Metallica released Hardwired on two discs. Those two would have fitted on one disc and nothing of the "flow" or anything would have changed. There exists a bonus disc of this album that is longer than the two regular album CDs combined.

In the end it doesn't matter to me, because I don't listen to CDs :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2018, 07:48:43 AM »

Probably, but only in the small prog-niche. Ask the people on the street and 99% won't have heard of any of them.

Word.  As good as this is, it's certainly not the Traveling Wilburys.   

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2018, 08:39:37 AM »

Word.  As good as this is, it's certainly not the Traveling Wilburys.

Or Sons of Apollo...right?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2018, 08:41:29 PM »
The first 30 seconds teaser:
https://theseawithin.lnk.to/TheSeaWithin
It does sound more modern than transatlantic or flower kings, cool!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2018, 08:42:50 PM »
I liked it!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2018, 10:36:47 PM »
Interesting. I'm not familiar with most of those musicians except Gildenlow's Pain of Salvation & Stolt's work in Transatlantic. I've listened to a few Aristocrats songs but I don't remember what they sound like. Can't say I'm very excited about this but I'll definitely listen to a full song whenever they release one.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2018, 07:20:02 AM »
What does it sound like? Is it heavy? Who sings? How do the drums sound?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2018, 09:22:09 AM »
it sounds potentially heavier than I would think when I think of "Art Rock."

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2018, 10:42:11 AM »
That's the problem with genre labels. They bring preconceptions. But they need to promote the album. So they have to try and describe the indescribable.