Author Topic: The Sea Within (feat. Stolt, Gildenlöw, Reingold, Brislin, Minnemann)  (Read 24589 times)

Offline Fritzinger

There is a new supergroup, consisting of Roine Stolt, Daniel Gildenlöw, Marco Minnemann, Jonas Reingold and Tom Brislin!! I am super hyped for this!

The Sea Within – a new art-rock group formed by Roine Stolt (Transatlantic, The Flower Kings), Daniel Gildenlöw (Pain of Salvation), Jonas Reingold (The Flower Kings, Karmakanic, The Tangent), Tom Brislin Music (Renaissance, Spiraling, Yes Symphonic, Deborah Harry) & Marco Minnemann (The Aristocrats, Steven Wilson, UK, Joe Satriani) – have announced they will release their as-yet-untitled debut album in Spring 2018.
Follow the band online below:
www.facebook.com/theseawithin1
www.twitter.com/theseawithin1
www.instagram.com/theseawithin1
Roine Stolt comments on how the project came together: “I think all it started as a suggestion from the record company - putting together a new band, starting fresh, seeing if collective writing could spawn a unique style. Call it a supergroup if you want - I think we can handle that.”
The members recently entered Livingston Studios in London to begin recording the basic tracks, and found an instant chemistry in the way they worked together. “Going into the studio in London was taking a great risk as we had not been in the same room together beforehand.” Roine continues: “We had just sent demos around and didn’t really know if we could make great music together, but we managed to track almost 2 hours of new music, a mix of collective ideas. We also had a lot of great ‘off-time’, sharing laughs and stories in local pubs – that part is important.”
Currently the members are putting the finishing touches on their debut album, and of the music’s direction Roine says: “There are elements of prog, pop, art-rock and many cinematic elements. I suppose the music comes from within our collective memories of all that we love as far as sounds, visions and poetry. We hope that discovering the music will be a journey for the open-minded fan - something as fresh and uncertain and unfolding as it is for us.”
The Sea Within has also announced their first confirmed live date, taking to the stage at Night of the Prog Festival 2018 at Loreley, Germany on the weekend of 13-15th July 2018 alongside Camel, Big Big Train, Riverside & more. Tickets are available now here: https://www.nightoftheprogfestival.com/en/home-2/

- Facebook page of insideout (https://www.facebook.com/InsideOutMusic/?ref=br_rs)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Sea Within (feat. Stolt, Gildenlöw, Reingold, Brislin, Minnemann)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 05:53:51 AM »
Nice! That has major potential to be really good.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:44:30 AM »
Now THIS is a supergroup I'm really excited about.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 07:14:50 AM »
Yasssssss

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:00:55 AM »
I'm very interested to see where this goes.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 08:09:47 AM »
I wonder who the "mastermind" will be behind this project. Roine and Daniel were/are both the leader and composer of most of the material of heir respective bands. I think it will be pretty easy to tell since both of them have a very distinctive style.

I personally hope that Roine's jazzy/"flower"y style will fuse with Daniels sinister style. That would be totally awesome. Plus, Daniel is one of the greatest singers the progressive scenes has ever seen. I hope he takes the role as lead singer. Roine and Daniel have worked together in The Flower Kings and Daniel didn't get to sing so much. Instead, the (not bad but) mediocre voices of Roine and Hasse were much more prominent. The most obvious part where you can hear the difference in their abilities to sing is the finale of Devil's Playground in my opinion. Roine sings something, and then Daniel kicks in and makes Roines vocals seem pretty bland.

Also, this band has one hell of a rhythm section! Reingold is a great bass player (Unfold The Future!!!) and, well, I guess Minnemann doesn't need to be talked about.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 08:16:39 AM »

You know my love for anything Jonas.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 08:22:45 AM »
Wait! What? A new supergroup without MP? Is that really possible? LOL

I am super excited to see how this unfold, it has potential to be something really great.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 09:54:26 AM »

Marco has just posted this picture. If I didn't know any of those guys I'd say the dude in the middle is the clear leader :D Which is good, I hope Roine does not take over and creates a Flower Kings replacement.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 11:27:01 AM »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 11:45:52 AM »
So exited about this... has huge potential

Daniel will be the main vocalist Jonas said in FB messenger.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 11:54:24 AM »
Jonas Reingold wrote one of my favorite songs of 2016, Karmakanics Dot, God the Universe and everything else noone cares about.
Daniel and Roine are quite good composers too.... 😉

With those three beeing swedes (although Jonas is now living abroad) I hope they do play live in Sweden next year.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 09:02:31 PM »
very much interested in this! Nice surprise :-)

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 10:13:57 PM »
Excited about it too. I hope the other band members get paid.  ;D

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 10:36:07 PM »

I think the other band members go into this knowing what they do as opposed to the one you are referring to....  ::)

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 11:49:10 PM »

I think the other band members go into this knowing what they do as opposed to the one you are referring to....  ::)

what did i miss??

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 01:20:06 AM »

what did i miss??

Nothing that is your or my buisness.... a former member complaing after no longer being a part of PoS

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 01:59:56 AM »
Ah, are we talking about Ragnar? I never understood what really went down there...

Anyway, I'll definitely check them out at the Loreley at Night Of The Prog!! I am way more certain that this will be good than I was about a certain other supergroup.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 03:26:22 AM »
Ah, are we talking about Ragnar? I never understood what really went down there...

No one does except the ones involved and I don't see how it is anyone elses buisness

For anyone who thinks Ragnar should have had truckloads of gold (and anyone else as well) I highly recommend the two seasons of "I Set Myself on Fire" on:

https://mapenzifilm.se

If after seeing this, you still think PoS is a money machine you need to get yourself checked....

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 03:48:15 AM »
This looks very interesting indeed.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 06:38:15 AM »
Looking forward to this!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 08:33:54 AM »

Anyway, I'll definitely check them out at the Loreley at Night Of The Prog!! I am way more certain that this will be good than I was about a certain other supergroup.

I'm really looking at a reasonable way to plan two nights of that at the end of our UK vacation in 2018, mainly for this, Riverside, and Big Big Train, but it seems so damn expensive to get to and stay. German airports nearby don't fly to the US as cheaply as other places around, I'll probably have to stay well away from the festival and can't really grasp how I get there and back every day as it's somewhat remote. Any suggestions?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 06:55:57 PM »
Tour please.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 07:07:54 PM »
Glad to see Tom Brislin in the line-up, he was awesome with Yes-symphonic!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 02:15:49 AM »

I'm really looking at a reasonable way to plan two nights of that at the end of our UK vacation in 2018, mainly for this, Riverside, and Big Big Train, but it seems so damn expensive to get to and stay. German airports nearby don't fly to the US as cheaply as other places around, I'll probably have to stay well away from the festival and can't really grasp how I get there and back every day as it's somewhat remote. Any suggestions?

You can always camp on the NotP festival, so you can save some money on a hotel. Don't know how to solve that flight problem though...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 08:09:42 AM »
The lineup excites me.  The "art rock" description does not.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 09:38:14 AM »

I'm torn on that description to be honest. It can mean they put specific emphasis on artistic expression (vs for example technical prowess) which is perfectly fine, but it could also mean self-indulgent experimental crap. I'm particularly concerned with Gildenlöw in that regard, he's a bit ... self-centric. He wouldn't hesitate going Yoko Ono.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 09:41:56 AM »
Looking forward to hearing something by this band. As Rumby points out, it could be great, or could be a big jerk off.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 09:51:38 AM »

I'm torn on that description to be honest. It can mean they put specific emphasis on artistic expression (vs for example technical prowess) which is perfectly fine, but it could also mean self-indulgent experimental crap. I'm particularly concerned with Gildenlöw in that regard, he's a bit ... self-centric. He wouldn't hesitate going Yoko Ono.

Yeah, I mean, I assumed that they were more or less referring to "art rock" as a subgenre, rather than a very loose description of "putting specific emphasis on artistic expression," as you put it.  And, yeah, Gildenlöw's eccentricities (and Stolt's as well, for that matter) make me a bit nervous.  I'm not writing it off.  But my enthusiasm for the lineup is much more tempered than it might otherwise be.  I am officially in "wait and see" mode.  I hope it's good.  But I won't be surprised if it is something I don't connect with.  Part of me wishes that if Gildenlöw and Stolt have some free time, that they would do another Transatlantic album.  But then again, while I loved the first three, the last one didn't do too much for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 10:00:43 AM »
Agreed 100% on all you said, including Transatlantic.

Just in general, I have to say, whenever it's just a different rotational lineup of usual suspects (MP, Stolt, Morse etc etc), I just end up in "I'll listen, but expectations aren't high" mode. At some point the reality is, most musicians end up repeating themselves one way or the other, and just shuffling the order around isn't going to change that.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »
Agreed 100% on all you said, including Transatlantic.

Just in general, I have to say, whenever it's just a different rotational lineup of usual suspects (MP, Stolt, Morse etc etc), I just end up in "I'll listen, but expectations aren't high" mode. At some point the reality is, most musicians end up repeating themselves one way or the other, and just shuffling the order around isn't going to change that.

You're forgetting Daniel here, he has never really repeated himself.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2017, 05:49:56 AM »
Something awesome just clicked with me here. The Tom Brislin who's joining The Sea Within is the same Tom Brislin who guested on a podcast I regularly listen to back in April, and they introduced me to Jason Falkner's Afraid Himself to Be, and made me fall in love with the song instantly. It was just one of those moments that got me quite excited.

Here's their cover of Afraid Himself to Be, and they also covered Yes' South Side of the Sky.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2017, 10:46:38 AM »
Something awesome just clicked with me here. The Tom Brislin who's joining The Sea Within is the same Tom Brislin who guested on a podcast I regularly listen to back in April, and they introduced me to Jason Falkner's Afraid Himself to Be, and made me fall in love with the song instantly. It was just one of those moments that got me quite excited.

Here's their cover of Afraid Himself to Be, and they also covered Yes' South Side of the Sky.

thanks for mentioning this as I would like to check this out; and I am a very big fan of Jellyfish and of course Jason Falkner was a member on their 1st album, and much of his solo work.

Also I recently checked out Tom Brislin's solo debut album from 2012 "Hurry Up and Smell the Roses" ( https://tombrislin.bandcamp.com/album/hurry-up-and-smell-the-roses) and it's really quite good. Sort of piano driven singer/songwriter. But he actually has quite a good voice and the songwriting is really impressive.

I know he had a band before joining Yes and Renaissance, Spiraling, which I'd be curious to check out again.

But I hope he brings some songwriting to this project, because that solo record really shows his talents.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:32:28 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »
thanks for mentioning this as I would like to check this out; and I am a very big fan of Jellyfish fan and of course Jason Falkner was a member on their 1st album, and much of his solo work.

I love Jellyfish! Another band this particular podcast introduced me to. Shame they only ever made two albums.

Indeed... they were awesome. So glad I had the opportunity to see them live when I was in London in the summer of 1991.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2017, 01:13:34 PM »
"The Kings of Art-Rock."  :hat