Author Topic: In Appreciation of Tony Levin  (Read 1426 times)

Online HOF

In Appreciation of Tony Levin
« on: July 02, 2020, 10:58:12 AM »
I was YouTubing around last night and this cool little video of Tony demoing a Chapman stick came up:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=78hlYpydv5g

Then this morning I see that Tony was ranked 42 in Rolling Stone’s Top 50 Bassists list (low maybe, but who cares really?):

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/50-greatest-bassists-of-all-time-1003022/tony-levin-1003071/

We all probably know Levin from LTS, King Crimson, and Peter Gabriel, and I think most people know he’s done hundreds of sessions and played with a ton of notable people (Lennon, Paul Simon, Bowie, Lou Reed, and so on). But I was looking over the partial list on Wikipedia this morning and spotted a couple higher profile recordings I wasn’t aware of (Pink Floyd’s Momentary Lapse of Reason, Alice Cooper’s Welcome to My Nightmare for example).

Anyway, I’ve always had a soft spot for Tony’s playing, and I think I could just watch him mess around on a Chapman stick for hours. Also, he looks exactly the same as he did 30+ years ago. Ageless and endlessly talented.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: In Appreciation of Tony Levin
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 11:01:22 AM »
And really really consistent and inventive and constantly evolving as a player IMHO. One of my personal alltime favourite bass players
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online HOF

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 11:11:40 AM »
And really really consistent and inventive and constantly evolving as a player IMHO. One of my personal alltime favourite bass players

Yes! He plays in several different styles with different bass instruments, and has innovated in a number of ways (the “funk fingers” being a notable example). And he’s just so darn creative. That Elephant Talk opening lick is so cool and a great example of his creativity.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 11:15:28 AM »
Fantastic showman, seen him with King Crimson, Gabriel, and Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe, and he was always tremendous.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »
Love his playing on the Levin Minnemann Rudess albums.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online HOF

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 12:02:38 PM »
Oh, neglected to mention, he not only plays bass but he also *sings* bass. Dude literally breathes low end.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 12:05:24 PM »
Oh, neglected to mention, he not only plays bass but he also *sings* bass. Dude literally breathes low end.

And he plays tuba as well.

Online HOF

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 12:16:37 PM »

And he plays tuba as well.

Yeessss

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 12:20:38 PM »
in the words of Peter Gabriel, he is "the king of the botom end, the emperor of the bass guitar"

Online HOF

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 12:33:17 PM »
in the words of Peter Gabriel, he is "the king of the botom end, the emperor of the bass guitar"

Love that quote!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 12:38:59 PM »
Amazing player.  He is on my Mount Rushmore of bass players, on the strength of his work on the LTE albums, with Peter Gabriel, and on KC's Discipline.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 12:54:22 PM »
Absoluteley marvellous musiscian.

Have seen him live with Peter Gabriel, 3 times and King Crimson 3 times.

Wish I could have seen him much more, also doing his own music.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 02:57:46 PM »
I was thinking, a few weeks ago when I was putting a ton of music on my new phone, that I have a lot of albums with Tony Levin playing on them, and not just King Crimson either! Of course, there's LTE, but also the Bruford Levin Upper Extremities (BLUE) studio and live albums, the two Bozzio Levin Stevens albums, Levin Torn White, Levin Minnemann Rudess, and the ABWH album. I'm probably forgetting a couple, but I know i don't have any of Peter Gabriel's albums yet (I've been waiting to see if he'll release them in a box set like Tony and Phil have had in the last few years).

Personally, I'd rank him a lot higher than 42 out of 50, as he is a beast at the bass and Chapman stick, and pretty much anything else he can get his fingers on!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 03:21:29 PM »
Don’t know if a Peter Gabriel box set is something that ever happens or not. He remastered everything about 20 years ago (man its been that long), and he more recently did a 25th anniversary edition of So. Maybe a full remix of the catalog happens at some point, but I don’t know that he would ever be able to finish something like that the way he works.

I will say that the remaster editions tend to be priced somewhat cheaply on Amazon ($9-12 range).

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 04:43:02 PM »
Don’t know if a Peter Gabriel box set is something that ever happens or not. He remastered everything about 20 years ago (man its been that long), and he more recently did a 25th anniversary edition of So. Maybe a full remix of the catalog happens at some point, but I don’t know that he would ever be able to finish something like that the way he works.

I will say that the remaster editions tend to be priced somewhat cheaply on Amazon ($9-12 range).
everything he released to date (audio wise) is on Bandcamp (including Flotsam And Jetsam)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 04:58:47 PM »
Love his photography. You should check it out as well.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 05:04:04 PM »
I was thinking, a few weeks ago when I was putting a ton of music on my new phone, that I have a lot of albums with Tony Levin playing on them, and not just King Crimson either! Of course, there's LTE, but also the Bruford Levin Upper Extremities (BLUE) studio and live albums, the two Bozzio Levin Stevens albums, Levin Torn White, Levin Minnemann Rudess, and the ABWH album. I'm probably forgetting a couple, but I know i don't have any of Peter Gabriel's albums yet (I've been waiting to see if he'll release them in a box set like Tony and Phil have had in the last few years).

Personally, I'd rank him a lot higher than 42 out of 50, as he is a beast at the bass and Chapman stick, and pretty much anything else he can get his fingers on!

-Marc.
I love everything Peter has done to date. Well worth listening to.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2020, 05:12:46 PM »
I saw him play a couple of times with Stick Men and boy is he good. One of my favorite bass players as well. He is extremely versatile, creative and skilled. You can hardly ask more of a musician.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 07:12:11 PM »
Tony Levin plays on one of my all time favorite albums: Alice Cooper Goes To Hell
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 07:14:50 PM »
Seen Tony play with King Crimson, Stick Men, and Peter Gabriel and the way the approaches the bass and the Stick is magical. It’s an art the way he plays it.

Online HOF

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 07:30:14 PM »
Now listening to Red Rain. This TL performance maybe gets overshadowed on So by Sledgehammer and Big Time (or even Don’t Give Up), but it’s a freaking powerful bass line.

Online HOF

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 08:40:19 PM »
Now listening to a 1976 album by Andy Pratt (who I’ve never heard of before today) that features some really tight and melodic bass work by Levin. Very cool melodic pop rock album. Very late 70s style and production.

Edit: though now I see Hugh McDaniel played some of the bass on the album, so not totally sure what’s what!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 08:46:57 PM by HOF »

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2020, 10:10:57 PM »
Now listening to Gorn, Levin, Marotta - From the Caves of the Iron Mountain.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2020, 04:58:41 PM »
I'd have to think about it but I think I may have seen him in more bands than Portnoy.

Great bassist and great guy too. 

Since we're naming all of these amazing albums he's been on, check out Buddy Rich's The Roar of '74.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2020, 03:28:51 AM »
Tony Levin is one of my favorite bass players in the world full stop! :metal

Online HOF

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2020, 03:29:21 PM »
Now listening to Clouds About Mercury by David Torn, which is apparently the predecessor to the Bruford Levin Upper Extremities lineup. It’s basically like a Discipline era KC album but with trumpet. I had no idea Chris Botti did anything this progressive actually. He shows up on a bunch of albums I really like (The Blue Nile’s Hats, Eric Johnson’s Venus Isle, Kip Winger’s first solo album), but never heard him in a context quite this experimental before.

Anyway, classic Tony Levin throughout this thing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2020, 01:06:56 PM »
Now listening to Clouds About Mercury by David Torn, which is apparently the predecessor to the Bruford Levin Upper Extremities lineup. It’s basically like a Discipline era KC album but with trumpet. I had no idea Chris Botti did anything this progressive actually. He shows up on a bunch of albums I really like (The Blue Nile’s Hats, Eric Johnson’s Venus Isle, Kip Winger’s first solo album), but never heard him in a context quite this experimental before.

Sounds like I need to check that out.

Online HOF

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2020, 01:15:55 PM »

So I had misread Wikipedia about this album. Botti played on the Bruford Levin Upper Extremities albums, but not on this one. The trumpet on Clouds About Mercury is a guy named Mark Isham. Still a very interesting album. A bit freeform at times, but an interesting mix of sounds.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2020, 02:45:40 PM »

So I had misread Wikipedia about this album. Botti played on the Bruford Levin Upper Extremities albums, but not on this one. The trumpet on Clouds About Mercury is a guy named Mark Isham. Still a very interesting album. A bit freeform at times, but an interesting mix of sounds.

I knew Botti played on Upper Extremeties. Really like that one a lot. Heard of Mark Isham but haven't heard his music.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2020, 04:32:06 PM »
I actually had his Resonator album. I wasn't really into it at the time but did enjoy some tracks. Places To Go and Utopia, along with Sabre Dance.

Need to check it out again
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2020, 06:05:35 PM »
I actually had his Resonator album. I wasn't really into it at the time but did enjoy some tracks. Places To Go and Utopia, along with Sabre Dance.

Need to check it out again

I like Resonator. I think it's one of his better Narada albums.