Author Topic: Guns are Icky  (Read 27566 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Guns are Icky
« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2019, 09:45:39 PM »
Ugh, there is no end to sight to these kinds of tragedies.  :( :(

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2019, 05:46:47 AM »
One of the dead is a 6 year old kid  :sad:

Offline Harmony

« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2019, 08:37:48 AM »
Hey Gilroy is only 246th mass shootings so far this year though.  'Merica!  Are we great yet?  :censored
Since when is a military occupation considered small government?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #143 on: July 29, 2019, 09:27:26 PM »
Welcome to America, 2019...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2019, 03:45:05 AM »
Hey Gilroy is only 246th mass shootings so far this year though.  'Merica!  Are we great yet?  :censored

I wonder how many other countries of the world you have to put together to reach 246 mass shootings in the entire histories of said countries.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: July 30, 2019, 06:05:18 AM »

I wonder how many other countries of the world you have to put together to reach 246 mass shootings in the entire histories of said countries.

Sweden can contribute with 3 if we count shootouts amongs criminals and the the military beeing sent in to handle protesters

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mass_shootings_in_Sweden

But Sweden is a small country.... take the 246 from the US of A and multiply with 10 (million in Sweden) divided by 327 (million in USA) and we should have had 7.5 mass shootings this year alone to be equal.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 06:12:23 AM by SwedishGoose »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2019, 06:22:19 AM »
Var i sverige bor du?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2019, 06:31:38 AM »

Sweden can contribute with 3 if we count shootouts amongs criminals and the the military beeing sent in to handle protesters

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mass_shootings_in_Sweden

But Sweden is a small country.... take the 246 from the US of A and multiply with 10 (million in Sweden) divided by 327 (million in USA) and we should have had 7.5 mass shootings this year alone to be equal.

I know this is completely unrelated, but I saw this last night and couldn't not post it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2019, 08:50:14 AM »
Welcome to America, 2019...

I feel its like they're making money off the shootings. $100 for one of those.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

"We can't rewrite history. We can learn our own history, and share it with other people. While, we learn, from them, their history." -Me,Myself,I

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2019, 10:07:02 AM »
I completely agree, and there's enough of a fearful environment created that there is a market for this.

Bulletproof backpacks for school. No matter how many times I see it, it'll never seem right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2019, 10:13:07 AM »
Right, Might as well just buy a bulletproof vest. A bulletproof vest will also protect the front.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

"We can't rewrite history. We can learn our own history, and share it with other people. While, we learn, from them, their history." -Me,Myself,I

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2019, 10:25:15 AM »
Right, Might as well just buy a bulletproof vest. A bulletproof vest will also protect the front.
Or maybe, I dunno, invest it for the kid's fucking future? Or, buy 120 lottery tickets. You'd probably get better odds of it being a worthwhile investment.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2019, 11:10:03 AM »
It'll be interesting if/when one of those backpacks save someone's life.  It is sad though and the business is probably good, I can see every scared parent buying these.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2019, 11:17:55 AM »
It'll be interesting if/when one of those backpacks save someone's life.  It is sad though and the business is probably good, I can see every scared parent buying these.
True enough, and damned patriotic, to boot. What could be more American than capitalizing on the irrational fears of others?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2019, 01:06:15 PM »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2019, 05:30:55 PM »
Jaså!
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2019, 09:02:11 PM »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2019, 05:45:58 PM »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2019, 03:15:25 PM »
I'm not a anti gun extremist, but I do think they are the most worthless thing man has ever created. I mean I get it,  I can see why people have them for protection.  I also realize guns don't kill people, but people kill people. However, guns make it easier for people to kill people and are too easy for bad people to acquire.
 I would be happy if every gun (firearm) on this planet was put into a big melting pot and turned into garden tools or whatever.
The bible speaks of a time when "they will beat their swords into plowshares and the spears into pruning shears".  I think this will apply to guns too..
 See how I brought religion into this, lol.  It is the appropriate forum after all.  :biggrin:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2019, 09:12:25 AM »

MirrorMask, this isn't to you, but you mention other countries, so you get the quote...

Instead of snark, why not ask legitimate questions about why one human in AMERICA is more likely to want to actually take, in cold blood, the life of another human in America?    Why not ask about all the other, related, things that aren't in other countries.  How many other countries pound opioids like we do?  'Merica, are we great yet?     How many other countries abuse illegal drugs like we do?   'Merica, are we great yet?   How many other countries experience depression (and consume anti-depressants) like we do?  'Merica, are we great yet?  How many other countries experience anxiety disorders like we do?   'Merica, are we great yet?   How many other countries have obesity rates like we do?   'Merica, are we great yet?  How many other countries medicate themselves with television like we do?  'Merica, are we great yet?    How many other countries divorce like we do?   'Merica, are we great yet?   How many other countries have the rape statistics like we do?  'Merica, are we great yet?   How many countries have the total CRIME statistics we do?  'Merica, are we great yet?   How many other countries are watching their suicide rates SKYROCKET like we are?  'Merica, are we great yet?

All these things go to a mindset, and may - or, let's be fair, may NOT - be related to that first question of why so many Americans want to cause the death of OTHER Americans.    We're a troubled, divided country, and it's not getting any better any time soon.  I personally don't see a lot of difference between having a problem and taking it out with bullets in a school, or having a problem and taking it out with heroin or opioids, or taking it out with a noose in a bedroom closet or hotel room. 

And for all the vaguely anti-Trump snark, we can easily ask if "we're believing in the change yet", because this isn't new.  This is has been going on since the late 90's.   And it's NOT guns, despite what Chris Murphy et al. want you to believe.  We've had this level of guns for the better part of a century, but the "mass killings" are a relatively new occurrence (as I said, the late '90's).   We have a ton of guns, but they are increasingly being consolidated in fewer owners, so that the number of OWNERS isn't as out of whack as some of the stats want to claim.  We HAVE to start asking, "why are some of our citizens willing to pull that trigger and end someone's life"?   

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2019, 09:28:35 AM »

MirrorMask, this isn't to you, but you mention other countries, so you get the quote...

Instead of snark, why not ask legitimate questions about why one human in AMERICA is more likely to want to actually take, in cold blood, the life of another human in America?    Why not ask about all the other, related, things that aren't in other countries.  How many other countries pound opioids like we do?  'Merica, are we great yet?     How many other countries abuse illegal drugs like we do?   'Merica, are we great yet?   How many other countries experience depression (and consume anti-depressants) like we do?  'Merica, are we great yet?  How many other countries experience anxiety disorders like we do?   'Merica, are we great yet?   How many other countries have obesity rates like we do?   'Merica, are we great yet?  How many other countries medicate themselves with television like we do?  'Merica, are we great yet?    How many other countries divorce like we do?   'Merica, are we great yet?   How many other countries have the rape statistics like we do?  'Merica, are we great yet?   How many countries have the total CRIME statistics we do?  'Merica, are we great yet?   How many other countries are watching their suicide rates SKYROCKET like we are?  'Merica, are we great yet?

All these things go to a mindset, and may - or, let's be fair, may NOT - be related to that first question of why so many Americans want to cause the death of OTHER Americans.    We're a troubled, divided country, and it's not getting any better any time soon.  I personally don't see a lot of difference between having a problem and taking it out with bullets in a school, or having a problem and taking it out with heroin or opioids, or taking it out with a noose in a bedroom closet or hotel room. 

And for all the vaguely anti-Trump snark, we can easily ask if "we're believing in the change yet", because this isn't new.  This is has been going on since the late 90's.   And it's NOT guns, despite what Chris Murphy et al. want you to believe.  We've had this level of guns for the better part of a century, but the "mass killings" are a relatively new occurrence (as I said, the late '90's).   We have a ton of guns, but they are increasingly being consolidated in fewer owners, so that the number of OWNERS isn't as out of whack as some of the stats want to claim.  We HAVE to start asking, "why are some of our citizens willing to pull that trigger and end someone's life"?

Disillusionment and anger with what seems to be an unfair system that causes strain on 'normal' folks is a pretty compelling reason that is taboo to consider for many. I don't see that taken as a serious proposition by the 'mental health!' crowd in DC. Nor do I see mental health actually being taken seriously by them.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 09:37:07 AM by portnoy311 »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #161 on: August 02, 2019, 10:52:29 AM »
We might disagree on the details, but I think we see eye to eye on this point.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2019, 01:18:58 PM »
Stads and Portnoy 311 both make some very good points about our differences when compared to other countries... but in the end, I believe that we are destroying ourselves from the inside out.  It's not the direct fault of the Right, Left, Moderate, or unconcerned (these are just platforms to further divide us), it's "our" faults collectively as a country.  The majority of "us" (the collective country, not this forum of course) simply take no thought for those around us and when "we" do think those long thoughts, we just don't care if "we" are not directly involved.

Glen Bateman said it best I think: "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home."
--Glen Bateman" from The Stand (1978) by Stephen King
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2019, 03:24:38 PM »
Walmart in El Paso, Texas...reports vary to as many as 20 dead.

New info- white guy, using an AK47 style assault rifle...Trump fan who left behind an unbelievably racist manifesto. What a shocker.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 04:58:46 PM by lonestar »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2019, 07:44:56 PM »
Shooter on Twitter:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #165 on: August 03, 2019, 10:26:36 PM »
Saw those, this kid was fucking miles off the homegrown white terrorist deep end.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #166 on: August 03, 2019, 10:28:23 PM »
I feel pretty confident that within a week, two tops, this story will have become how democrats are talking about gun control and how dumb it is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: August 04, 2019, 02:43:22 AM »
Dayton Ohio, 10 dead and 16 wounded. Same day as El Paso Texas....
I know some of you keep saying that it's not the guns but they sure do help though.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #168 on: August 04, 2019, 05:07:48 AM »
Instead of snark, why not ask legitimate questions about why one human in AMERICA is more likely to want to actually take, in cold blood, the life of another human in America?    Why not ask about all the other, related, things that aren't in other countries.  How many other countries pound opioids like we do?  'Merica, are we great yet?     How many other countries abuse illegal drugs like we do?   'Merica, are we great yet?   How many other countries experience depression (and consume anti-depressants) like we do?  'Merica, are we great yet?  How many other countries experience anxiety disorders like we do?   'Merica, are we great yet? How many other countries have obesity rates like we do?   'Merica, are we great yet?  How many other countries medicate themselves with television like we do?  'Merica, are we great yet?    How many other countries divorce like we do?   'Merica, are we great yet?   

I'll stop at this one question/category, and answer at a minimum ... Canada is a unequivocally a big fat yes to all of the above (probably not the obesity one - not as HIGH as the US, but there is an obesity problem.  We may not be at pandemic levels yet, but it is alarmingly high).

'Merica, are we great yet?   How many countries have the total CRIME statistics we do?  'Merica, are we great yet?

Does that include gun-related crime, or do you want to normalize for the fact that that US has what ... 10x the guns in circulation than any other 1st world country?  (yes, somewhat snarky comment)

We're a troubled, divided country, and it's not getting any better any time soon.  I personally don't see a lot of difference between having a problem and taking it out with bullets in a school, or having a problem and taking it out with heroin or opioids, or taking it out with a noose in a bedroom closet or hotel room. 

This I would absolutely agree onTo that end.  Nonetheless, you (US society) recognize that opioid abuse is a crisis, are are taking steps to resolve/limit/eliminate them, are you not?  Why not the same fervor with firearms?

The goose said it best.

I know some of you keep saying that it's not the guns but they sure do help though.

So Stads, while you go on defending "it's not the guns", people continue to lose their lives needlessly while people like you  insist on looking for the answer to a solve different question.  Not a shot at you, just pointing out how you prefer to solve the root cause, rather than even try to address one the symptoms.

When someone has a heart attack, the prescription isn't "go home and lose weight".  You get their fucking hear re-started to solve save the patient. You seem willing to sacrifice patients because the root issue is complex.

Any defense of why the US isn't taking immediate and radical steps to address gun related deaths is just sad and pitiful.
Fox = drip-feeding dumb people with rage-porn. CNN = drip-feeding smug assholes with moral reassurance.
I'll do my best, but this? The guy's getting Llamathrust.
Happy is the dog that stops and licks his balls.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #169 on: August 04, 2019, 05:23:07 AM »
It's not guns themselves who kill people, it's people using them.... just like it's people hijacking airplanes and crashing them into buildings.

But then again, after 9/11 airport security measures drastically changed and tightened and so you're no longer able to enter a cockpit with a knife.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: August 04, 2019, 05:55:24 AM »
It's not guns themselves who kill people, it's people using them.... just like it's people hijacking airplanes and crashing them into buildings.

But then again, after 9/11 airport security measures drastically changed and tightened and so you're no longer able to enter a cockpit with a knife.

Let's just imagine if the aviation lobby took the same approach as the gun lobby!?!?
Fox = drip-feeding dumb people with rage-porn. CNN = drip-feeding smug assholes with moral reassurance.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #171 on: August 04, 2019, 06:07:59 AM »
Well, but as I said previously, it's not that the situation can change overnight. I'll never be like "D'uh, another shooting yesterday, and today people still can shoot freely, the USA is incompetent"... look at the suicides from the Golden Gate Bridge, it took decades for people to decide what to do.... now there's a safety net, but whatever the solution could and should have been, the situation where there was this big famous bridge with no protections whatsoever from the ocean 70 meters below could no longer go on.

Same with the guns issue, the Titanic taught us that there couldn't be so few lifeboats for so many people, 9/11 taught us that there couldn't be free access to the cockpits, 250 guns shooting should teach that the current situation can't go on any longer.... but it's not that a solution can be applied overnight, it will take time, efforts, and a nationwide conscious decision to change the current status quo. Damned if I know the easy solution about it of course.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: August 04, 2019, 06:40:02 AM »
Damned if I know the easy solution about it of course.

That's the point... there is no "easy" solution.  It's hard, and the gun lobby makes it even harder still.  It was easy, it would've been done long before now.

I honestly don't believe it will ever change in my lifetime.  I think it's going to take Gen Y and Millennials being in a dominant position of political power to start.  If Sandy Hook couldn't unite people to address the issue, nothing (given the current political climate and who wields the power) will.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #173 on: August 04, 2019, 06:47:01 AM »
Took the words right out of my mouth, Chad.  If Sandy Hook didn't make certain persons want to make changes, nothing will.  :( :(

I have been consistent in that I do not think these mass shootings will just go away if gun laws change, but, damn it, something needs to change.  There should be tougher restrictions. 

And while I get the frustration and anger, I don't think screaming about guns every time there is a mass shooting helps.  When something like this happens, the blame lies at the feet of the nut job(s) who committed the crime, first and foremost.  Blaming guns first and loudly just makes the NRA and extremists of their ilk dig their heels in that much more, and change gets further away in the rearview mirror.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: August 04, 2019, 07:09:33 AM »
When something like this happens, the blame lies at the feet of the nut job(s) who committed the crime, first and foremost.

Thoroughly disagree on this point. These "nutjobs" were not born wanting to do these things, and to say the blame lies primarily at their feet is just a way of abdicating responsibility for the causes of a) why these primarily white young men are radicalised into right wing terrorists b) why they are then so much more capable of causing mass damage when they do decide to take right wing talking points to their "logical" extreme when compared with every other civilized nation on earth. Every country has its shares of "nutjobs" but when every other civilized nation has single or rarely double digit shootings a decade, you cant place blame on the individuals when the US manages to get to the tiriple digits in 6 months.