Author Topic: Social media: The Death Knell of Society  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
Re: Social media: The Death Knell of Society
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2019, 01:19:17 PM »
I think there is a kernel of really profound truth in that second paragraph.   I don't quite feel we've adopted a "gullible" attitude; I don't think people are "falling for" things, per se.  But I do think that some have "gamed" the system in a way, by turning it into a personal MORAL failure to be critical (in the classic sense) of facts.    I don't know why ANYONE wouldn't be apoplectic over the vernacular "MY truth".  There is no "my truth".   When I see "my truth" I see bullying, I see marketing, I see deception.   To varying degrees, I grant you, but I see a way of warping the perception of the message.   If I'm right, if my information has veracity, I shouldn't have to couch it with the warning that this is "my truth", and wrap it with the Kevlar that social media has provided us for "opinions".   

That's the biggest "sin" of social media, if you ask me.  It used to be that "opinions were like assholes; everyone's got one", the "asshole" analogy being apt, because it implicitly said that opinions were best kept to oneself.  Not today; we have to declare everything, and we're at the point now - see the "New Zealand" discussion in another thread - where if you DON'T declare your opinion for all to see, you're branded, factually, with an adverse position. Think about that; you're being judged if you DON'T take, actively, the position perceived as "right" by the audience in question.

That should bother some of you a lot more than it apparently does.

but what I don't like about your approach is you seem to turn it right back around into shaming people for just HAVING an opinion.

That might be what it "seems", but it's not what it does.  Nowhere in there is there any shaming of having the opinion.  In fact, just the opposite, as I clearly say that EVERYONE has an opinion, and, implicitly, that they are entitled to that.   I fully cop to shaming someone for thinking their opinion carries any weight whatsoever in influencing the behavior of others.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2019, 01:29:48 PM »
I fully cop to shaming someone for thinking their opinion carries any weight whatsoever in influencing the behavior of others.

Yup, and that's what bothers me most about social media.  But not just for thinking their opinion carries weight, because it almost does in some way.  Once you put your opinion out there and get likes or supportive comments, doesn't your opinion then carry some weight at least in your own bubble?  That's what turns me off so much about this, if you say "Trump sucks" and get 100 likes, aren't you then more likely to do something similar again?  You begin to feel not only that others agree with you, but that your opinion becomes truth because you got so many likes.  But of course, this is all in a bubble, your opinion still doesn't carry weight but you feel this empowerment. 

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2019, 01:48:45 PM »
I deleted that last post because I was going down a bad road, I don't know wich of us is in a mood today (most likely me) but Stadler is triggering my fight or flight reflex so I'll just stop now because the conversation was actually good, carry on.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2019, 02:09:03 PM »
I fully cop to shaming someone for thinking their opinion carries any weight whatsoever in influencing the behavior of others.

Yup, and that's what bothers me most about social media.  But not just for thinking their opinion carries weight, because it almost does in some way.  Once you put your opinion out there and get likes or supportive comments, doesn't your opinion then carry some weight at least in your own bubble?  That's what turns me off so much about this, if you say "Trump sucks" and get 100 likes, aren't you then more likely to do something similar again?  You begin to feel not only that others agree with you, but that your opinion becomes truth because you got so many likes.  But of course, this is all in a bubble, your opinion still doesn't carry weight but you feel this empowerment.

Then there's all the spiraling that comes of that.  You DON'T think Trump sucks?  Well, then you must be insane, racist, uneducated, etc. - a personal attack - because you can't possibly be normal and smart and have an opposing view, because I'M normal and smart and... it's a vicious circle. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2019, 02:10:48 PM »

Then there's all the spiraling that comes of that.  You DON'T think Trump sucks?  Well, then you must be insane, racist, uneducated, etc. - a personal attack - because you can't possibly be normal and smart and have an opposing view, because I'M normal and smart and... it's a vicious circle.

And I would say the same thing to you as, I presume (might be wrong), you'd tell a minority who is being verbally attacked by (insert whatever hate group we're all supposed to be okay with). Such is life. Talk to them if you can, and if you can't, suck it up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2019, 02:13:39 PM »
My example was "Trump sucks' but you change that to "Trump rocks" and you get a similar response and next thing you know the two previous friends now have their social media hoardes who agree with each of their sides and now these two hate each other.  Just keep me out of this cycle.  I don't mind having political discussions but when "likes" and the publicity comes in, I don't want to be involved.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2019, 02:15:35 PM »
My example was "Trump sucks' but you change that to "Trump rocks" and you get a similar response and next thing you know the two previous friends now have their social media hoardes who agree with each of their sides and now these two hate each other.  Just keep me out of this cycle.  I don't mind having political discussions but when "likes" and the publicity comes in, I don't want to be involved.

I keep my friend list relatively pruned and I turn off notifications for everybody (except George Takei). So I'm never dealing with any of that stuff. If I want to know what's going on with someone, i can go to their page. If I don't like, I can leave their page and not be bothered.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2019, 02:30:03 PM »

I keep my friend list relatively pruned and I turn off notifications for everybody (except George Takei). So I'm never dealing with any of that stuff. If I want to know what's going on with someone, i can go to their page. If I don't like, I can leave their page and not be bothered.

Yea totally, I've found the people who are essentailly my above examples and just stopped following them.  I don't need to watch that stuff play out, just makes me dislike them on both sides and Id rather not have negative feelings towards people I otherwise generally like.

Offline Kattelox

• Heart of an Eagle
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2019, 05:37:08 PM »
Yea I saw your post on facebook about deleting people, I hear ya man.  I get some friend requests and if I never met or talked to you to know who you are, I am not accepting it. I've got a few of those from progpower before too.  Facebook to me is too personal.  I don't mind if someone follows me on instagram or twitter, I don't find those social media platforms to be as personal as facebook and I don't need to follow back.  The other option which I've used on people who I know yet do not enjoy following, is to just unfollow them.  There's definitely people I know and even like but just have no interest in following their daily opinion posts that I am not interested in seeing so I can stay friends but just not have to see their latest radical article post and opinion mixed in with my music news (which I think is essentially all I follow anymore on facebook)

Also, I get a bit bothered myself with my own obsession with "likes".  I need to admit I get my own joy and pleasure when I post a video on twitter and it gets a like.  I don't have many followers on that platform (well any really, but twitter is my least engaged social media) so when I make an edited gaming video and someone likes it, I do feel an enjoyment out of that.  It definitely messes with my mind in ways that maybe our minds aren't capable of, yet.

Agreed with all of this, right down to being bothered by my own obsession with it. I sometimes like a whole bunch of things if only to let that person know that, hey, I haven't totally forgotten about you even though we rarely talk, but then I think, "Why am I doing that if..." and down the rabbit hole I go, questioning friendships and having an existential crisis.  :lol I'm thinking about getting rid of it entirely now that I've gotten past the thought that not having Facebook = not having friends. I can see everyone when I see 'em, and if not, well... such is life.
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2019, 05:48:10 PM »
It's funny because I think you are one of the only people I even comment on using facebook  :lol  I find myself mostly uninterested in sharing things on facebook, I've done my summer concert series of photos and videos for a few years now, but I don't really share status's or opinions and have begun to hardly post pictures anymore.  Facebook has just become the most uninteresting social media for me, yet I comment on all your shit because I find it not that far off from this forum in that you talk about music that no one else I know talks about, same with like the progpower group and DTF group.  Things like that are what keep me using it (well and folllowing my interests).

I also just find instagram to be a much better platform for following my friends in terms of that personal level that facebook used to be.  Since I don't follow bands much on instagram or anything that's really of my interests (those things I follow on facebook or twitter) my instagram feed is almost all just stuff posted from my friends and since it's a simpler format, you don't get the huge political rants or the arguing in the comments.  It's just my friends sharing their experiences and I can find some level of enjoying that and also sharing my own on that platform.

Offline Kattelox

• Heart of an Eagle
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2019, 06:10:36 PM »
And that's the rub isn't it? There's that inherent human element of "Well I'm kinda curious what's going on over here with so-and-so" and actually having the means to do that. We all like some level of interaction or understanding what's going on in 'the world' whatever that might refer to and with something as ubiquitous as social media (or even just Facebook at this point) it's so tough to find that 'sweet spot.'  :lol
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2019, 07:11:57 PM »
And don't forget the ads

Now, I shouldn't be talking too much given where I work (in online advertising) but mixing those targeted ads with your content really is a new way of advertising that really gets people these days and also manipulates in ways traditional advertising did not (which also had an effect on people with manipulation when TV ads started).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2019, 04:08:22 AM »
I deleted that last post because I was going down a bad road, I don't know wich of us is in a mood today (most likely me) but Stadler is triggering my fight or flight reflex so I'll just stop now because the conversation was actually good, carry on.

And yet, you're the one guy that I most want to hear from, because - and this is not an attack, just an observation, correct me if I'm wrong - I think you might be fine with using social media to force people to (pretend to be) "tolerant".   I'm fascinated by whatever rationale allows you to accept forcing someone else to think like you do.   Wouldn't you hate it if someone FORCED you to think like they do? 

Do you think it was just to force that kid in Sarasota to miss the prom (it's THE prom, by the way, not "prom") because of his unfunny and distasteful joke?