Author Topic: The US Government Shutdown  (Read 1140 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: The US Government Shutdown
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2019, 06:14:16 AM »
Just to understand this weirdness a bit more, what's the td;lr, dumbed down version of a shutdown? it is like they show in the movies, with no trash being collected anymore, parks being closed and government people having to stay home because there's nothing to do?

And am I wrong in assuming that the USA is the only nation when there's such a system? I don't really get why a political dispute has to translate into everyone else in the nation not being able to do anything... a couple of years ago the major of Rome, capital of Italy, was forced to resign by political struggles and there was a vacancy for months. The capital still went on, just like basic services in Italy went on after the general election of March 2018 when it took 4-5 months to finally form a government. Maybe it's simply being naive of the US political system but from the outside this "We're at an empasse, therefore almost everyone else in the entire nation has to stay at home with no pay" seems.... weird.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2019, 06:29:56 AM »
Random thought I had. Why do we have to continue to pay federal taxes if the government is shut down?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2019, 06:32:02 AM »
Random thought I had. Why do we have to continue to pay federal taxes if the government is shut down?

This is only a partial shut down of non essential personnel. The number 800,000 keeps being used.....so, it’s ‘only’ 800,000 federal employees.....of which....have been deemed non essential.

More evidence the government is bloated and can be reduced significantly
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2019, 08:31:53 AM »

This is only a partial shut down of non essential personnel. The number 800,000 keeps being used.....so, it’s ‘only’ 800,000 federal employees.....of which....have been deemed non essential.

One would think the Coast Guard, a branch of our military, might not be considered non- essential
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2019, 08:35:29 AM »

One would think the Coast Guard, a branch of our military, might not be considered non- essential

Them and as vtgrad was talking about....the loan industry.....seem to be pretty essential. I'd guess they justify the Coast Guard cut as 'we still have the Navy' but that's a stretch.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2019, 08:38:39 AM »
TSA, Air Traffic Controllers.  Pretty essential too.  I’m sure there are more groups that are also pretty essential.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Harmony

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2019, 08:43:20 AM »
Like the FBI.  Oh well, some of them are working.  They arrested Roger Stone today.   :corn

Flights are delayed at airports today because of the shutdown.  This is the beginning of the end.  I always said once air travel is impacted, this nonsense stops.  And I am so glad my family's usual vacation got delayed for other reasons.  NO WAY I'd want to be flying anywhere these days.  The airline companies must freaking out about how much revenue this could impact.  Don't think they aren't sharing their concerns with their congressmen and women.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2019, 08:59:43 AM »
Yup, La Guardia is halting flights.  I have to go to LA for work Monday morning.  This is going to be a nightmare

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2019, 09:20:58 AM »
Like the FBI.  Oh well, some of them are working.  They arrested Roger Stone today.   :corn

Flights are delayed at airports today because of the shutdown.  This is the beginning of the end.  I always said once air travel is impacted, this nonsense stops.  And I am so glad my family's usual vacation got delayed for other reasons.  NO WAY I'd want to be flying anywhere these days.  The airline companies must freaking out about how much revenue this could impact.  Don't think they aren't sharing their concerns with their congressmen and women.

Many of them have already lost in excess of $25M. I think it was either Jet Blue or American Airlines that was just about to open up a whole bunch of new routes. The planes are ready to go, captains were hired, etc... They can't get the planes off the ground because the FAA is shutdown and no one can approve the new flight paths they're requesting. They were projecting certain revenues based on those flights being in place and they don't even exist yet because of the shutdown.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2019, 09:22:12 AM »
From my career perspective of the shutdown - FDA inspections are not being completed. So our food, drugs, medical devices are not being monitored. Any new submissions for the FDAs clearance/approval are not being accepted/processed. So that is going to set a lot of companies back. The timeline for a submission to clearance for a new medical device is generally 6 months. So now if you planned to submit this month, with clearance and going to market hopefully in July - throw that business plan out the window.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2019, 01:01:39 PM »
Seems the air travel stoppage today did it, the senate is expected to pass a funding bill to reopen the govt for a whopping 3 whole weeks.
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2019, 01:03:46 PM »
Seems the air travel stoppage today did it, the senate is expected to pass a funding bill to reopen the govt for a whopping 3 whole weeks.

This was what I was asking for, although I know this isnt a solution, but if both sides can't come to some agreement, at least get the government open so we all can continue our lives and then you congress people can keep arguing with each other.  I just fear we will be back here in 3 weeks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • First Follower
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2019, 01:05:18 PM »

This was what I was asking for, although I know this isnt a solution, but if both sides can't come to some agreement, at least get the government open so we all can continue our lives and then you congress people can keep arguing with each other.  I just fear we will be back here in 3 weeks.

Oh yeah, I fully expect them to get absolute dick done in 3 weeks.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2019, 01:06:19 PM »
I suspect it's the exact same bill they were going to do before Christmas. Things just got bad enough that Mitch decided not to stonewall it any longer.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • First Follower
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2019, 01:33:41 PM »
I think it is.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2019, 01:52:58 PM »
Ann's not happy. At all. In fact, she's livid:

"Good news for George Herbert Walker Bush: As of today, he is no longer the biggest wimp ever to serve as President of the United States"

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/1088888030901882880

(minor detail: that recently-deceased "biggest wimp" George H.W.Bush? This was his resume:

1. WW2 fighter pilot
2. Congressman
3. US ambassador to the UN
4. Republican Party Chairman
5. US ambassador to China
6. CIA Director
7. Vice President
8. President)

The American President is in a very tricky situation now. He needs to balance the needs of his country (fairly important) against the threats of the extreme right-wing whack jobs who helped elect him (very important).

If he had any kind of actual integrity, bravery and far-sighted concern for the county, he'd tell Ann Coulter to go and fuck herself. Therefore he won't.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts' desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron" - H.L.Mencken, 26th July 1920.

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very very large brain" - American President Donald Trump, September 26th 2018.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2019, 01:56:28 PM »
You left out the all important needs of his very fragile ego. I suspect that's what would win out.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • First Follower
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2019, 02:07:49 PM »
I kind of wish he would tell her to go fuck herself if only to know what the sound of 150 million collective jaws dropping in unison would be.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2019, 02:17:30 PM »
I kind of wish he would tell her to go fuck herself if only to know what the sound of 150 million collective jaws dropping in unison would be.

To get an idea of that just hearken back to election night 2016

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2019, 02:19:27 PM »
Ann Coulter is Bill Maher's opening guest tonight. 

*Grabs popcorn*

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • First Follower
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2019, 02:20:59 PM »

:rollin true that

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2019, 02:39:14 PM »
Ann Coulter is Bill Maher's opening guest tonight. 

*Grabs popcorn*

That's enough to get me to watch that.   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2019, 03:14:16 PM »
Ann Coulter is scary, no thanks on watching her and not even sure why anyone cares what she has to say.

:lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2019, 12:27:29 PM »

I think Jingle is right as rain
warflwwcesfw.
That's meme-speak for "We are really f*****g lazy when we can't eve say full words".