Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v3. Less frustration™️, A REAL WINNER AT LAST!!!!  (Read 86996 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
4th is better than 5th  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Snippets for one of the EPs  :corn

What's with [GENRE] artists having such bad taste for synths?

Right off the bat, I notice quite some [BAND] influence here, which usually isn't a very good thing for me - I don't like their style and it's overused on a lot of [GENRE] imo.

So to the song, it feels way fresher and more interesting than the previous tracks, with nice style of their own and quite some folky influence.

This sounds like mine but ive got to disagree with the keyboards.  It's from a concept album and the keyboard patches are very different that normal prog bands.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I didn't know the EPs were supposed to have titles. That was just what I named my Spotify playlist. :lol

:lol

Me too! I'll think of a name and post. Lol
Forgot to answer this but yeah, didn't mention that about names, sorry :lol . Feel free to come up with a name if you want to tho.

Also, I'm reviewing writeups so I should be able to post snippets and the EP at 5th later today. So keep hangamanga going until then  :corn :corn :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
SNIPPETS
« Reply #1263 on: March 25, 2018, 03:33:23 PM »
More snippets, from the rest of the EPs  :corn :corn

The transition from the previous track to this one is very good, feels somehow natural and fitting.

Well, the flow here is kind of a mess

Synthpop? Oh boy.

Overall, still feels a bit like good background music, but it's more diverse and better structured than the previous song.

From a pretty bland track, to one that's been in my head on repeat for days.

To end the EP, a more upbeat track, interesting choice. But not sure if the best one, because feels pretty much like [GENRE] music but a bit more elaborate.

Oh, now to a track with vocals, nice.

I love how this track begins, with subtle beats and synths until the actual beats drop

I'll post results tomorrow, so here's your hangmanen without penalty for bad guesses :P

EPs:
ariich: ariich EP

tomislav95: Sometimes I Hide In My Mind: The Poetic EP
Goldfrapp - Thea
Goldfrapp - Stranger

Nekov: Soft Electronic EP

kingshmegland: Sacul's finals

Bolsters: NineteenEightyFour
The Midnight - Nighthawks
Gunship - Fly For Your Life
The Midnight - Nocturnal
Scandroid - Atom & E.E.V.
Scandroid - Datastream
Gunship - Tech Noir
Scandroid - On The Face of The Deep

EP songs:
?: Low Roar - Friends Make Garbage (Good Friends Take It Out)
?: Micah P. Hinson - Beneath the Rose
?: Koan Sound - 7th Dimension
?: Feed Me - Life Raft
?: Aisles - 4:45 AM
?: No More Pain - Bleed
?: Andrew Bayer - Paper Cranes
?: Ott - The Queen of All Everything
?: Trentemoller - Evil Dub (Original Mix)
?: Low Roar - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
?: Kyros - The Lamb, The Badger & The Bee
?: Umphrey's McGee - Rocker
?: Telefon Tel Aviv - Helen of Troy
?: Telefon Tel Aviv - You Are the Worst Thing in the World
?: Pantha Du Prince - Lions Love
?: Rae Morris - Physical Form
?: Telefon Tel Aviv - Your Mouth
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:37:13 PM by Sacul »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v3. Less frustration™️, SNIPPETS!!!
« Reply #1264 on: March 26, 2018, 01:43:56 AM »
Feed Me and KOAN Sound were artists I listened to when I was 15  :o never expected to see them on DTF. Maybe Nekov sent them? If so, probably Trentemoller as well

And guessing tomi sent Low Roar
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1265 on: March 26, 2018, 05:53:55 AM »
Aisles might be Rich, same for Umphrey's McGee

Overall, still feels a bit like good background music, but it's more diverse and better structured than the previous song.

To end the EP, a more upbeat track, interesting choice. But not sure if the best one, because feels pretty much like [GENRE] music but a bit more elaborate.

Both of those could be from my EP, not good...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: March 26, 2018, 06:30:09 AM »
Feed Me and KOAN Sound were artists I listened to when I was 15  :o never expected to see them on DTF. Maybe Nekov sent them? If so, probably Trentemoller as well

And guessing tomi sent Low Roar
Are you implying you're not 15? :neverusethis:. You got Trentemoller and Low Roar right  :tup

Aisles might be Rich, same for Umphrey's McGee
Not at all :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I didn't know the EPs were supposed to have titles. That was just what I named my Spotify playlist. :lol

Me too! I'll think of a name and post. Lol
Forgot to answer this but yeah, didn't mention that about names, sorry :lol . Feel free to come up with a name if you want to tho.

Also, I'm reviewing writeups so I should be able to post snippets and the EP at 5th later today. So keep hangamanga going until then  :corn :corn :corn

Parama wants that EP to die!

:biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: March 26, 2018, 06:44:01 PM »
Let's begin with:

Aisles - 4:45 AM
Right off the bat, I notice quite some Rush influence here, which usually isn't a very good thing for me - I don't like their style and it's overused on a lot of prog imo. So I think the more interesting parts here are when they get far from that influence. It has some nice things going on with the vocals at times, and the guitar solo is ok. But that's... pretty much all there is to it, really. Had I been a huge Rush fan I'd have probably enjoyed these melodies a lot more, but I don't. It just feels like bland prog copycats of that band, very safe music. 3/5

Kyros - The Lamb, The Badger & The Bee
What's with prog artists having such bad taste for synths? These are fairly generic, cheesy ones, at least at the beginning. There are some original bits on this track, mostly the instrumental sections (well just the beginning, boring guitar solo), and the break at min 5, but for the most part, is feels like a less inventive, poor man's Haken, mostly on the chorus. +3/5

Umphrey's McGee - Rocker
I've actually listened to another album by these guys, I think it was Anchor Drops. I need to revisit it because I enjoyed what I listened some years ago. So to the song, it feels way fresher and more interesting than the previous tracks, with nice style of its own and quite some folky influence. I quite like the clean guitar melodies here. Chorus is just ok. And that's pretty much it, feels kinda repetitive for what it is, but it's pleasant enough I guess. 3.5/5

No More Pain - Bleed
The intro really reminds me of Tool, mostly the drums and bass, and the buildup to the first riffs is great. And it goes great until it reaches the forum, which is prog metal 101. After that there's more Tool goodness and the chorus again. And then a pretty standard, safe and boring instrumental section that adds nothing and drags for too long, only showing how much of a mess the whole song is, being pretty inconsistent in style and mood, lacking any focus. And I love songs that go through many styles, this one just doesn't have any common direction between all of them.

Which is a shame since I like the heavy parts quite a bit, and that cool dissonant, menacing section at around min 9 would have worked way better had the song somehow built up to it, because it's pretty good. +3/5

Flow
This EP kinda feels consistent in how these groups write their melodies and structure their chord progressions, however, there's no real flow to these songs - from the first track to the second one things got a little heavier, then pretty chill on Rocker, only to become quite heavy on the last track... which would make more sense had there been one or two more songs before the calmer one, but this way, the buildup feels cut. I think Rocker would have made for a pleasant opener, flowing into the Aisles track fairly well, and from there, getting heavier and climaxing in Bleed's distorted ending. 3/5

Final score
RP: 0
Flow: 2
EP Score: ((3 + 3.25 + 3.5 + 3.25) * 4) / 4 = 13 (out of 20)
Total: RP + Flow + EP score = 0 + 3 + 13 = 16

It's sad you were cut, king, but thanks for playing! You've left me with several albums to check out, like The Raconteurs and Echolyn ones which are pretty good ;D

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: March 26, 2018, 06:46:36 PM »
EPs:

Goldfrapp - Thea
Low Roar - Friends Make Garbage (Good Friends Take It Out)
Goldfrapp - Stranger
Low Roar - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight

Trentemoller - Evil Dub (Original Mix)

Umphrey's McGee - Rocker
No More Pain - Bleed

The Midnight - Nocturnal
Scandroid - Datastream
Gunship - Tech Noir

EP songs:
?: Koan Sound - 7th Dimension
?: Feed Me - Life Raft
?: Andrew Bayer - Paper Cranes

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I figured.  Thanks for having me!! I had a blast!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Koan, Feed Me, Andrew Bayer, Pantha = ariich?
Micah, Ott, Rae Morris = Nekov?
Telefon Tel Aviv = Tomislav?

Offline Tomislav95

I have no idea what Telefon Tel Aviv is.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I figured.  Thanks for having me!! I had a blast!
Hope to see you in my next roulette  :metal

EPs:
Koan Sound - 7th Dimension
Andrew Bayer - Paper Cranes
Feed Me - Life Raft

Goldfrapp - Thea
Goldfrapp - Stranger

Trentemoller - Evil Dub (Original Mix)

Umphrey's McGee - Rocker
No More Pain - Bleed

The Midnight - Nocturnal
Scandroid - Datastream
Gunship - Tech Noir

EP songs:

Posting 4th before I enter classes, very :soon:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
4 IS FOR BAD LUCK
« Reply #1274 on: March 27, 2018, 05:43:17 AM »

Rae Morris - Physical Form
On the one hand, it feels a bit like most modern Art/Electro Pop artists out there, and that's not even a style I enjoy immensely. On the other hand, this is catchy and well produced, with just enough style not to bore me. I sadly don't have much to say, it's not a very memorable track to me. 3/5

Goldfrapp - Thea
From a pretty bland track, to one that's been in my head on repeat for days. You know I'm familiar with Felt Mountain, but didn't like it enough to ban it and explore more of her music. Heck, I regret it, this is excellent - from the slowly building beginning, to the awesome chorus with those huge beats and her high vocals, to the pretty weird and creative vocal stuff she does at min 3. It's a pretty short song loaded with many cool ideas that are quite well executed. Probably my favorite chorus and song from the whole round. 4.5/5

I've known of these guys for quite some time but didn't check them out, thinking they were post-rock :lol . Well, seems they are atmospheric folk something? It's a pretty chill, feel-good song, and the harmonica feels quite fitting. And that's pretty much it, really. The song doesn't really go anywhere and I guess that's fine if you love this kind of music. I just find it pleasant, but nothing more. +3/5

Micah P. Hinson - Beneath the Rose
More folk! This time it feels more elaborate and interesting than the previous song - I like the clean guitar melodies throughout and the piano and accordion fit quite well. Guy's got a charming voice, and the whole vibe is pretty nice. Then it ends. Which is kinda frustrating because there are good ideas here I felt could have been expanded, but then, maybe it makes more sense in an album context than as a standalone track. +3.5/5

Goldfrapp - Stranger
More Goldfrapp, now with an acoustic guitar and strings instead of electronic beats, and her classic whistles. Her voice is as haunting as in the previous track, and probably even more than in Felt Mountain.  I like how this song progresses, adding more instruments on the second chorus, then some wonderful synths, and a last gorgeous chorus. It's a wonderful kind of songwriting I enjoy a lot, but it can also be a bit rare to find, mostly in pop artists - I really need to check out this album. +4/5

Yeah this is definitely more interesting than the other Low Roar song, with the electronic beats, the cello (?), and overall better songwriting and mood. I think the ending is kind of dumb and unfitting, with that noise going on for too long. But, just like that track, I don't have much to say about it, probably because both have a lot of style and lack much substance. But at least this one feel quite much like a closer, since it's the last track on the album it comes from.3.5/5

Flow
This is... confusing, because it begins with some poppier, more electronic songs, to switch towards folk-ish music til almost the end for no reason at all. Like, the stretch from Friends Make Garbage... to Stranger is very consistent in style and feels quite fitting and have a good flow, but the rest are quite out of place, except maybe Tonight*3 since it feels like a good closer despite being electronic in contrast with the mor organic previous tracks. Maybe had there been a more subtle change from style to style, I wouldn't have minded having both pop and folk in the EP, but as it is, I'm puzzled. 3/5

Final score
RP: 0.5
Flow: 3
EP Score: ((3 + 4.5 + 3.25 + 3.75 + 4.25 + 3.5) * 4) / 6 = 14.83 (out of 20)

Total: RP + Flow + EP score = 0.5 + 3 + 14.83 = 18.33

I'm sad I have to cut you right here, because you've sent me some great tracks throughout the roulette, and one of my favorites on this round. Thanks for playing, you've given me plenty of records to check out  :metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, I was quite sure I would be out soon. Also, that's quite a high score for 4th place, it seems we sent you good stuff  :smiley:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Nice, top 3!

And two of the top 3 are chilled out electronic EPs. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Dammit Rich :getoffmylawn:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Dammit Rich :getoffmylawn:
I bet neither of us wins now. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Tomislav95

Dammit I liked Physical Form so much I made this EP around it :lol thanks for having me, it was fun and I'm glad you liked some of my music :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
That Goldfrapp - Stranger song is fantastic, I'm glad I got that song in my roulette.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
twist ending, my EP is #1
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Now I'm getting a little worked up about this.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Also, that's quite a high score for 4th place, it seems we sent you good stuff  :smiley:
Indeed, there's quite a gap between the 4th and the top 3, and a difference of 0.32 between 3rd and 1st :P.

And two of the top 3 are chilled out electronic EPs. :lol
Bolsters' also has some chill electronic tracks :P. Not complaining tho, I love that stuff.

Dammit I liked Physical Form so much I made this EP around it :lol  thanks for having me, it was fun and I'm glad you liked some of my music :tup
Which is kinda weird since none of the songs really goes well with it :lol. But yeah, it was great to have you and would love for you to participate in a future roulette.

That Goldfrapp - Stranger song is fantastic, I'm glad I got that song in my roulette.
Thea is even better  :metal

twist ending, my EP is #1
:neverusethis:

Ok fellas, here's the deal: I'm gonna take a nap, study for a few hours afterwards, then post #3. The rest will be revealed tomorrow night, so you have more time to suffer  ;D

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
THREE OF A PERFECT PAIR
« Reply #1284 on: March 27, 2018, 09:54:29 PM »
Koan Sound - 7th Dimension
I think I recall Infected Mushroom recommending this EP in an interview some time ago, but didn't check it out. I've listened to The Adventures of Mr. Fox tho, and that's an ok EP. This song sound similar in that vein, with glitchy beats and nice synths, nice, but I feel it's a little repetitive overall? There's no much variance of the main melody and it pretty much loops it for most of the song, until that very nice break at the ending. And I think that's pretty much all I have to say about this song - it's simple and nice, but feels more like a good background track rather than something for active listening. 3.5/5

Andrew Bayer - Paper Cranes
I like the calm beginning of this track, it's soothing, and the beats don't ruin the experience when they appear. Synths have a very nice sound to them, and production is quite good. However, I feel the same complaint from the previous track mostly applies here - until the break at the middle, it keeps repeating the same melodies over and over. But I'm glad that after the break they're slowly reintroduced gradually instead of just jumping back to them like nothing had happened, giving all some sort of progression. So yeah I definitely prefer the second half of this track. Overall, still feels a bit like good background music, but it's more diverse and better structured than the previous song. +3.5/5

Ott - The Queen of All Everything
The transition from the previous track to this one is very good, feels somehow natural and fitting. The whole beginning, with the background guitars, gently introducing the beats along with the uuuhh synths? Or some pretty distorted vocals? I've got no clue, it's a little weird, but I like it!

I feel this song has definitely a better sense of melody than the previous tracks, and boy these synths are lovely, there are plenty of layers here and they all sound wonderful. I remember listening to a track from Blumenkraft and while it was nice, felt less refined than this track. The second half has some new additional melodies and beats are a little different, so there's a simple but very pleasing progression in the songwriting, reaching a layered, wonderful climax without ever going full bombastic.

Despite being almost 7+ mins long, it didn't drag at any point and kept me engaged and pleased. A definite improvement over the previous songs. +4/5

Feed Me - Life Raft
To end the EP, a more upbeat track, interesting choice. But not sure if the best one, because feels pretty much like brostep music but a bit more elaborate. There's bass wobbles, glitchy vocals and synth stabs, but they play some typical tricks of EDM with predictable outcomes - sometimes Infected Mushroom do these but going into unexpected ways, like a guitar solo instead of dropping the bass for example. It's a catchy track, but the simple melodies feel a bit like typical EDM, and get a little repetitive.

So... that's about it, it doesn't feel particularly memorable, like the background music you'd find in some commercials directed towards young people I guess. +3/5

Flow
This EP has a pretty good flow overall, the transition between the first three tracks feels logical, and like I mentioned, Paper Cranes flows into The Queen... very, very well. However, I feel Life Raft is out of place, not making much sense it being a party song after the serene, melancholic previous track. Despite that, you managed to get 4 tracks that, for the most part, have a common sound but executed in very different ways. 4/5

Final score
RP: 1.25
Flow: 4
EP Score: ((3.5 + 3.75 + 4.25 + 3.25) * 4) / 4 = 14.75 (out of 20)
Total: RP + Flow + EP score = 1.25 + 4 + 14.75 = 20

Damn, after leading my roulette almost since the first round, it's sad you didn't get the crown, considering how close you are to #1. Thanks for playing! Was a blast having you, now I have much new cool music to check out :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
congrats bolsters

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

Well Bolsters...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
LET'S GET IT ON!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Difference between #1 and #2 is pretty small, just 0.17. Also more snippets  :corn

Melodies are pretty catchy and memorable, and the sense of melancholy permeating the song is up my alley.

Synthpop with much emphasis on the pop, meaning pretty catchy melodies, but lame lyrics, mostly the chorus' ones

However, it feels pretty one dimensional in terms of structure, with not much variance throughout it, sticking to a same mood and melodies.

... somehow I get the feeling this is more of an interlude in an album or more fitting as a soundtrack rather than on its own, since I find myself enjoying it, but not being particularly amazed by anything in particular

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Number 2 is bolsters since none of my songs are synthpop. I guess the first song in the EP could be melancholic maybe? But that could also be Bolsters.
So, guessing 3 and 4 are mine, which doesn't sound so good

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'd say the telefon tel aviv tracks are pretty synthpop so that could be yours or not  :corn :corn :corn

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I think 2 and 4 are mine.