Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v3. Less frustration™️, A REAL WINNER AT LAST!!!!  (Read 87003 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
RESULTS!!!!!!
« Reply #1155 on: March 09, 2018, 10:37:23 PM »
Here it is, fellas, the final round! For half of you :P. To those that leave us, you've sent some great tracks and will make me check several albums so thanks for playing :metal

Elite: Kayo Dot - All the Pain in All the Wide World
This song is a mess in plenty of senses, the most noticeable for me being the production, too compressed and muddy but I guess that was the idea. The second and most important one, is the songwriting: this is just all over the place, with Toby rambling, instrumentation meandering more and more. I don't understand what this song was trying to do other than maybe establish a kind of psychedelic, synthwave-y atmosphere, probably inspired after watching Drive (while thinking it was a good movie :neverusethis: ). So... yeah, this is just one giant mess that hardly has any identifiable sections, filled with bland melodies, and that overstays its welcome. It doesn't inspire any negative feelings - just bores me a lot. 2.5/5

Parama: Spectral Lore - The Veiled Garden
Actually the beginning of this song is pretty interesting, for the first 3 minutes, despite not being much up my alley. Then I get a little bored but things get cool in that ambient section at around minute 6. The buildup is well done, then it breaks into heavy guitars, and... blast beats. And more black metal of course. For another 6 minutes in which I've lost the little interest I had. Sure, I'll give it that the songwriting is pretty varied here, but black metal is a sound and aesthetic I don't like from the go, one that just subtracts by default so unless there's something that really compensates for it, it's likely it won't get a good score from me.

This track certainly feels more accomplished and ambitious than most black metal I've listened to, so I see why you love this record so much. Sadly, it's not really my thing but I'll give it some merit. 3/5

Bolsters: Purity Ring - begin again
This is a pretty repetitive song, using very few melodies and lyrics that rhyme too much. Hooks feel kind of cheap and generic. I don't like the trap-influenced beats on this track nor how processed the vocals and keys feel. But, it's not really a bad piece. Despite its shortcomings, I find the production to be decent, and overall it's enjoyable - more of the passive kind you'd get by something on the background. Just another pop song. 3/5

kingshmegland: DADA - Star You Are
When the guitars appeared, almost thought this would be a lame adult contemporary track or something :lol . Anyways, I don't understand the lyrics too much but they seem to be about a toxic relationship, or a creepy follower/stalker? Kinda contrasts with the soft instrumentation in a nice way. Which is pretty cool but way overshadowed by the acoustic guitars in the mix imo. Certainly the vocal harmonies are quite well arranged and pleasing... when the melodies are. Parts like 'I wanted too much' feel kind awkward and the singer's voice becomes a little grating.

Other than that... it feels like a pretty simple ballad in terms of structure and arrangements. I'm not sure there's much special about this track. 3.5/5

home: Ólafur Arnalds - Tomorrow's Song
This style reminds me of some of Nils Frahm output, lovely piano songs with some sounds from the instrument, the chair, hammers hitting the strings, etc. And this... is nice little song, but just that. Could easily have been part of a soundtrack as it is comfy and pleasant to listen to, but rather forgettable. I feel this guy has way better tunes on him. 3.5/5

Train of Naught: Kauan - Kit
I'm a little conflicted with this one - it has such great beginning, with a lovely ambient section with interesting samples, and a great buildup, tinged with melancholy. Love the electric guitar on this track, mostly the clean playing. And there are some excellent vocal harmonies. Yeah it's pretty nice. Until... the second breakdown, with the acoustic guitars and the slow metal music building up. To end up in... nice riffs but lame growls, instrumentation nowhere close as intense as before. And the song ends up abruptly, but you already warned me of that. I don't know, has this track ended up earlier, would have definitely gotten more points from me. +3.5/5

Kattoelox: Cat Stevens - Where do the Children Play?
I wonder why this guy wants to know the whereabouts of minors? :P About the song, at first I was just bored because it felt like another folk song. But it's been slowly growing on me - I like how each chorus adds something small but interesting, the synths have a lovely sound, the occasional background vocals add up to the mood, and I like how the drums break in. It's a simple song, but a pretty comfy one.

On a side note, took me a while to realize this song is from 1970! Definitely a great version you sent me. 4/5

Nekov: Agnes Obel - Familar
Now I realize where I had listened to this track before, was it a part of Dark's soundtrack, right? Seems you've been digging it :P . Anyways, this track is pretty nice, I like the strings here, and her voice, while not singing in a very unique style, fits well the mood. The other vocals are a little weird, in the sense they feel somehow processed and unnatural, but again, they fit. Somehow it felt the whole track was about to build up to something or change in mood or structure near the end, and it didn't. Which is ok. Overall, nice lovely song. 4/5

Tomislav95: MGMT - Little Dark Age
Heh, I remember this album was memed, because the day of release /mu/ was flooded with yellow posts :lol . Anyways to the music, we got some interesting synthpop with more discrete beats instead of the typical bombastic ones. Vocals are quite processed and along with synths, they all have a sound of their own, I'll give them that. It's kinda quirky and fun, trying to be spooky. And the little instrumental sections are pretty cool.

I guess my main complaint is that it feels a little repetitive, mostly the vocals varying very little in the melodies it sings. But I'll admit it grew on me quite a bit. 4/5

ariich: Oddarrang - Central Sun
This is quite the obscure but intriguing submission I always get in roulettes. I just can't think of a genre tag, it's kinda jazzy but also post-rock-ish but also uuhhhh folk something? It's definitely an atmospheric piece that for some reason would fit as a soundtrack to... something :lol . I really like the melodies played by the strings here and the vocal harmonies fit nicely. I don't know what else to say, it's a pretty interesting track and a creative one. 4/5

Positions
Nekov 34.5
ariich 34
Bolsters 33.5
tomislav95 +33
kingshmegland +32.5
-----------------------------
Elite 32.5
Train of Naught +32
Parama 31
home 31
Katteolox 31

From three ties last round to a clean top 5 now, congratulations to those that have entered the EP round! I'll post rules soon, but they'll likely be the same as my previous roulette's. Start planning something, haven't defined a submission date yet so take your time.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Finals
As I said in the OP, there's an EP round for the top 5 players to determine the winner. Rules are the following:

• Minimum of 3 songs.
  • Minimum EP length of 15 mins.
  • Maximum of 15 mins per artist.
  • The recommended maximum length for the EP is ~30 mins, the absolute maximum is 35 mins.
  • Flow will be taken into account, but it will have a small influence in the score (more on this later)
  • When you send it, include a tracklist with the song names (duh) and the track lengths.
  • A zip/RAR file with the tracks is preferred since I do most of my listening on my music player - please correctly tag your files. Spotify or youtube playlists work as well. If you can't in any of those ways, give me the tracklist and I'll get the files or whatever is needed.
  • Don't manually alter the songs' volume in order to normalize them, just add ReplayGain Track info to each.
  • Deadline is Tuesday at 11:59 PM
Scoring
So I didn't want something that would make Nekov the only winner even if he screwed up, making this final round pointless. But even then, it'd be unfair to make him lose right away without taking the first 10 rounds into consideration, so a "best EP wins" wouldn't work. Ultimately, I've crafted a middle-of-the-road system, so that if he fails, the bottom players might have a chance to steal the crown if they shine, or tie the first place at least. The rest can also take the first spot if they do well ofc. So, how your EP shall be scored:

• Since not all EPs have the same amount of songs, a way of "normalizing" was needed, so I'll individually score your songs out of 5, multiply each by 4, and take the mean of that, so the EP score will be out of 20.
  • Flow will be scored out of 5 in positive integers, and added to the previous score. This takes into account how well songs transition into each other, and how it all works as a single piece overall.
  • The bottom player's score will act as the zero or base for the "roulette points" (RP) - it's the difference between a given person's score and the player's at #5. This means king will have zero RPs, and Nekov +1.5.
So the score should look like:
Score = EP average out of 20 + flow + RP
Thus, the maximum score you can get on this round is 25+RP.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:59:13 AM by Sacul »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
EP rules: send something that sucks

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
At least I went out on a good note  :lol This was fun, Sacul - thanks for letting me play. Hope you check out some more Incognito and Chris Joss. :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hahaha I completely blew it
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
EP rules: send something that sucks
Seems you're eager to send one :P

At least I went out on a good note  :lol This was fun, Sacul - thanks for letting me play. Hope you check out some more Incognito and Chris Joss. :)
Thanks for playing! I started checking the Incognito album some days ago, it's quite nice, and have the Chris Joss and Cat Stevens ones saved as well.

Hahaha I completely blew it
Quite a shame since you were in the top 3 for most of the roulette  :lol . Thanks for playing!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:14:05 AM by Sacul »

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
you just disliked my song in purpose
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Or maybe you sent a boring track in purpose to stop your current streak of roulette wins :vomitard:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i don't know why you would send kayo dot in a roulette, they do suck, so

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
oh

Alles kits, Sacul?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Tomislav95

I didn't expect it to get to the EP round but now I want to win, of course :azn:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Or maybe you sent a boring track in purpose to stop your current streak of roulette wins

it's all your fault

i don't know why you would send kayo dot in a roulette, they do suck, so

well, at first I wanted to send Marathon by Kayo Dot, but I bet Sacul wouldn't have liked that either. You might though.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i've listened to choirs of the eye several times and never liked it, so, doubtful  :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've listened to Hubardo, which wasn't my cup of tea, but And He Built Him a Boat and some tracks from Part the Second are pretty good :P

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Part the Second is maudlin of the Well, though, which I've always enjoyed more than Kayo Dot.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah forgot to mention I was referring to Toby Driver in general :P

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Bath blows Part the Second out of the water
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've updated the post after results with info about the EP round. You've got some days to prepare and EP and send it.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice. I have absolutely no idea what I'll send to bee honest. That first place now might be my consolation price
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Got 1 EP and another that has to resubmit so far  :corn

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
EP ROUND SUCKS
« Reply #1175 on: March 13, 2018, 09:13:55 AM »
I started a new job yesterday and also started attending school so I've had very limited time. I've put together a couple of songs and I'm working on the order. Should send something soon.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Only waiting for the new dad to send his EP - if you need a bit more of time, let me know.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Ariich's EP:

Dream Theater - Honor Thy Father
Devin Townsend - Babysong
Justin Bieber - Baby

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
The Ronettes - Be My Baby
Squ

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Salt N Pepper Push It. Ooh Baby baby, baby baby!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Anathema - Childhood Dream

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
:lol Thanks dude. Will try to send it today, but it might need to be tomorrow if that's OK.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah don't worry mate. I'll begin listening today and will give your EP a few additional spins to compensate so all entries make me suffer the same amount of times :P

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Thanks, EP now sent!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thanks, EP now sent!

Rock A Bye Baby
Baa Baa Black Sheep
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Hush Little Baby

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Thanks, EP now sent!

Rock A Bye Baby
Baa Baa Black Sheep
Hush Little Baby

You are correct

about the number of tracks.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
If I had made it this far I would've sent the same Rhapsody song in 4 different languages + an instrumental version
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
If I had made it this far I would've sent the same Rhapsody song in 4 different languages + an instrumental version

I think you weren't around back then, but I did kind of the same thing when I got to the final EP round in Parama's elimination roulette. My EP was half acoustic guitar ballads (Arstidir, Mark Knopfler) and half power metal (Primal Fear, Serious Black). :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thanks, EP now sent!

Rock A Bye Baby
Baa Baa Black Sheep
Hush Little Baby

You are correct

about the number of tracks.

1 for 2 then!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

I think you weren't around back then, but I did kind of the same thing when I got to the final EP round in Parama's elimination roulette. My EP was half acoustic guitar ballads (Arstidir, Mark Knopfler) and half power metal (Primal Fear, Serious Black). :lol

You're doing the lord's work with that kind of EP  :lol