Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v3. Less frustration™️, A REAL WINNER AT LAST!!!!  (Read 87014 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Dying of old age here :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
It would seem that I'm glad I got eliminated when I had the chance.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
FINALLY
« Reply #877 on: February 05, 2018, 07:42:42 AM »
It would seem that I'm glad I got eliminated when I had the chance.   :lol
I was looking forward to all the dad rock you had in mind :P

I apologize for these taking so long, thought I'd have time since I've done rounds before while being out, but didn't plan my shit well. So, have your results!

Parama: The Ocean - Stenian (Mount Sorrow)
I remember having checked out this record some years ago but didn't get too far into it before dropping it. So let's see, was this worth it? Well, kinda. I like the beginning, it's pretty chill and sets up the main melodies before the heaviness slowly builds up.

The riff that breaks in kinda remind me of those in Obscure Sphinx's Void Mother - in fact the song at this point stikes me as similar to that album but of course doing something different, mostly on the atmosphere and the vocals. Which I don't find any interesting tbh, this songs wouldn't work as instrumental so I think it's just this singer that does nothing to me, his performance doesn't convince me.

Riffs are just... ok I guess? The guitars don't do anything particularly interesting here unlike the cool strings (they are that right?) that I wished were more prominent on the mix and had a bigger role in the songwriting. So yeah, Paramacore doesn't seem to work on me most of the time sadly. 3/5

home: OWEL - All I'll Ever Know
You're right, this band share many similarities with TDH, which for many would be a great attractive. But since I am not floored by Casey's music, the appeal won't get me from that place. And I guess it's alright? The chorus is ok, I like the instrumentation on it, but it's mostly the vocal melodies that I find fairly boring tbh, just not engaging for me. The rest of the song just feels like a bunch of fills between each chorus, with no real merit on their own - not bad, but they aren't of any particular interest. Maybe it's just that this band is too attached to their influences, for this is just a nice song that doesn't strike me a anything more than that. 3/5

Train of Naught: Mechina - On the Wings of Nefeli
"What do you get when you mix sci-fi/space sounding atmospheres with deathmetal, djent and Two Steps From Hell-like orchestration?" says your review on RYM, and in my case, I'd answer that while it's an original combination, in the end, it's just a mix of things I'm not fond of (except sci-fi atmospheres ofc), and the sum of them isn't very appealing either. The drumming is boring and predictable, guitar work is only interesting at times when it's glitchy, I don't care about the growls at all. The breakdowns are pretty nice actually, mostly the last section of the song. Sadly it ends in a transition with the next song, which is always annoying for roulette purposes. 3/5

kingshmegland: This Day and Age - More of a climb, less of a walk
So this is like proggy Indie Rock, kinda? One thing that annoys me from this genre (and from a lot of 2000s music) is the lack of good pacing and balance, with the singer overwhelming the song, almost never shutting up. Only does so at the end for a pretty cool ending, but really, I don't like this approach that many bands take, rushing into different parts of the song without any sort of good progression not instrumental breaks. Besides that, it's got some nice melodies yeah, but, I dunno, I don't feel this is any special at all, really. You said this was the band before The Reign of Kindo - dunno which members remain from this or if it was just a comparison, but I think I just prefer the latter. +3/5

Elite: White Moth Black Butterfly - Evelyn
This record seemed to be all over the place last year, which is weird because I haven't heard of these guys before (seems I have one of their albums wishlisted tho, huh). Anyway, to the song: it's kind of weird, with the strings and the operatic vocals around the middle not really fitting with the rest of the song, kinda like having a guest sax solo in a song - sure it's cool, but had it been better integrated in the songwriting, would have yielded better results. The main two singers make a nice duo, taking turns to sing and harmonizing together.

I find the chorus fairly mediocre tho, just bland melodies all over it. Atmosphere is quite nice, I like the strings, but I'm not sure if the drums should have had such presence in the mix - it's not doing anything remarkable so it doesn't hurt too much.

So, uh, yeah, this was ok. They have a style and I always appreciate that, but I think the songwriting here is pretty weak, with cool ideas that could have been better executed. 3.5/5

ariich: The Cat Empire - Song For The Day
I have a kind of allergy to ska, because of all the lame national bands here that are played on TV and radio. This seems a bit more interesting, with some reggae influences, and even some jazzy vibes. And... it's ok, I mean, it doesn't feel like something you'd put other than for background. It's got some cool melodies and there isn't something I particularly dislike about it, just that maybe I'm burnt on this kind of music and this doesn't offer something so different enough to appeal me. 3.5/5

Tomislav95: Kaddisfly - Campfire
I think I saw Parama saying this was El Cielo but better, and while I can hear the similarities in style, this is certainly different. From this track I don't perceive as much diversity or experimentation as dredg put on that record, bearing more similarities to normal 2000s alternative rock yet still having a sound of its own. For instance, the singer's voice and style don't strike me as unique, but the use of samples and piano give this more personality.

Anyways, comparisons aside, this was a solid track. The chorus is quite catchy and memorable, and guitars don't do anything special most of the time except on those calmer bits which are nice. It's a well-paced and balanced piece, and... just that. Sure I like the ending and the breaks, but nothing here felt really outstanding. But I'm still curious about this album so I guess I'll give it a try anyway. 3.5/5

Kattoelox: Chris Joss - Tune Down
Oh yeah this is definitely not djent at all :lol. This is some pretty cool downtempo music like what I've been digging lately, kinda reminds me a bit of Air and Royksopp. The bass is simple and groovy, beats don't anything special, but work, and those guitars are pretty cool. It's a little weird that this song feels like it ended at around the middle, only to resume things again, which was kind of an awkward choice. I like the little jam vibes from this. So yeah, this is nothing groundbreaking but it's pretty cool and appeals me so I'll check this album, I love me some chill music. 4/5

Evermind: Bjorn Riis - Disappear
Seems this is from a solo album by Airbag's leader, nice. Never listened to them as I've heard of the Pink Floyd worship, and it quite shows here. As you mentioned, quite some similarities to Gilmour's On An Island because it's a very atmospheric, calm and guitar-centered song with some strings, but I don't mind since this got a bit of personality. I really like the buildups and the emotions here. His voice isn't the most interesting one so am glad the instrumentation is the focus.

So yeah, lovely atmosphere and great melodies, wished it had a bit more of a progression on the structure, but overall I like it quite a bit. +4/5

Nekov: Leech - Silent State Optimizer
I'll admit this has been quite a grower for me, went from not caring at all for this song to enjoying it a lot. Maybe it's because, for the most part, it's subtle and low, feeling like part of a soundtrack. Yet what won me was how engaging the whole thing feels, like a little journey instead of just a collection of nice sections with no progression at all.

It's quite easy on the ears, I love the soft piano and guitar work - so easy it feels not long at all despite clocking at 8:36 mins. I love the climax starting at the seventh minute, the synth work and the background sounds are very nice.

So despite having a few musical ideas that are repeated over and other with just enough progression, it somehow works for me. +4/5

Bolsters: Perturbator - Vantablack
Well this is almost cheating - only reason I didn't ban this was because, although I love Hotline Miami and Perturbator's songs are some of my favorites on it, haven't checked his stuff yet (apart from the song 'Humans are an easy prey' or something, which is rad). So yeah, this has got some damn good beats, very catchy and make me tap my feet on the floor - when a song gets a physical reaction out of me, you know it's a good tune (unless I cringe, which naturally occurs when exposed to power metal). Maybe I just like electronic music a lot these days. I love the synths here, so layered and rough, and his vocals are simple but very effective. Synth Pop / Wave is something I should definitely check out more of, because what I know it's excellent, like this track. 4.5/5

Positions

ariich +22.5
Bolsters +22.5
Elite 22.5
tomislav95 22
Evermind 22
Nekov 22
Parama +21.5
kingshmegland +21.5
Train of Naught +20.5
Katteolox +20
home 20

Some nice shifts in the standings, fellas. ariich is starting to lose the lead, so there's still hope for several players to get a chance to get into the final EP round. Send within the next 48 hours, I promise faster results now that I'm by myself.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Glad you liked that track. The abrupt halt in the middle is a little jarring but I love how chill it is. The whole album's a good listen. The art's cool, too.

Trends indicate my next pick will be a bomb, though  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I had no idea you were even aware of Perturbator's existence, just thought you'd be into some of his more chill and atmospheric tracks like this one. I was actually considering this and another Perturbator track for the EP (Femme Fatale if you're curious, and literally the only two song I had in mind for a potential EP :lol), but I needed something strong to get me back in the running - glad to see that it worked.

I'll send the next one tomorrow.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice. You should try the album since as you say, is a nice journey.

I know what I'm gonna send next, just need to figure out which song. I'll get on to that as soon as I finish listening to what I'm listening right now.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
 :'(

I think it's safe to say I'm the only person who gets hyped over that Mechina album :lol I'm in good company in the 3/5 camp though, Stenian and All I'll Ever Know are both amazing.

Most of the reason White Moth Black Butterfly got so much attention was because a lot of us were expecting a new TesseracT album last year, and when this dropped it was at least something to fill the void :lol if you didn't know that is the same singer as the current TesseracT guy so that's why.

Gonna send something more risky now
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
alright, if the best song i could possibly send scores low i guess it's time to send some true garbage

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Man are we all bunched up.  Will work on a song tonight.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I feel like if I got a +4 I should have a +22, but it's just a feeling since I have no clue what the + means
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Good to see Bjorn Riis doing so good in this roulette, but now I have no idea what to send next. :biggrin:

Edit: in fact I just realized that except that one intentional fluke in a power/prog-metal round, I've been doing pretty great in this roulette so far.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 10:01:00 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Glad you liked that track. The abrupt halt in the middle is a little jarring but I love how chill it is. The whole album's a good listen. The art's cool, too.
Yeah been digging a lot of chill music lately so glad you sent me that, I'll surely check the abum.

I had no idea you were even aware of Perturbator's existence
I've been for a couple of years but I should really check his stuff soon,  now I've got no excuse :P

Nice. You should try the album since as you say, is a nice journey.
Sure  :tup

Most of the reason White Moth Black Butterfly got so much attention was because a lot of us were expecting a new TesseracT album last year, and when this dropped it was at least something to fill the void :lol if you didn't know that is the same singer as the current TesseracT guy so that's why.
Oh that explains a lot then :P

alright, if the best song i could possibly send scores low i guess it's time to send some true garbage
looking forward to those olafur arnalds and julia holter tracks  :metal

in fact I just realized that except that one intentional fluke in a power/prog-metal round, I've been doing pretty great in this roulette so far.
Not bad for a roulette where you had no hopes for :P

I feel like if I got a +4 I should have a +22, but it's just a feeling since I have no clue what the + means
It's a fancy way of putting .25. I went through results on each round and realised they were counted well but somehow wrote your score for the previous round as +18.5 instead of +17.5, oops  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
genuinely considering sending this stupid avant-jazz metal thing I found that I accidentally kinda like but haven't bought yet, just for the memes, sacul will probably hate it

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I know what artist I'm sending but it's a toss-up between three songs. Hmmm

Offline Tomislav95

3.5 is ok but deserves more, it'll grow on you for sure.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I mean the song I sent has been underscored every time I send it but  :corn

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
few quick questions:
1. i won't make it to the EP round but how long is the EP max limit
2. accordingly, if we send a 10+ minute song before the EP round will we not be able to send a 10+ minute song during the EP round

Offline Tomislav95

Sent.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
few quick questions:
1. i won't make it to the EP round but how long is the EP max limit
2. accordingly, if we send a 10+ minute song before the EP round will we not be able to send a 10+ minute song during the EP round
Haven't planned it yet but I think I'll take the same approach as with my previous roulette. As for the 10+ min song thing, I'll think about it but it's likely I'll allow it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Dang, 35 minutes is short  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
The idea is to make an EP not an album :lol. I've also been considering doing a final album round instead -it's what the cool kids do these days, right?- but since I'm harder to please with individual records, a varied EP would probably be better.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll try my best to send something in 24 hours.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I think 40 is perfect for EPs but ehh  :lol
And yeah I would've probably sent one of the albums I already sent a song off of tbh

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm sending Sons of Apollo - Opus Maximus

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

....and let me interject,  Kansas - Opus Insert
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

I bet you'll get a high score :neverusethis
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Re: FINALLY
« Reply #902 on: February 06, 2018, 03:33:04 PM »
Maybe it's just that this band is too attached to their influences, for this is just a nice song that doesn't strike me a anything more than that.

Nah guess I just sent the wrong song, they have a lot of songs that are not as TDH inspired and are perhaps more uniquely OWEL. This was easily their most TDHesque song, in fact I think on some songs they do draw more on post rock bands like Sigur Ros.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Got 6 submissions so far, keep them coming folks  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sorry Sacul had some problems last night, sending mine in a couple hours when I'm on lunch.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent!

I've sent all the songs from my Sacul roulette playlist, now it's time to send random stuff I've never used anywhere (pretty sure it's not up Sacul's alley too).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I stopped caring about sacul's tastes and just sent stuff I really dig because playing to his tastes is really boring and unfun for me  :corn

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I stopped caring about sacul's tastes and just sent stuff I really dig because playing to his tastes is really boring and unfun for me  :corn

If I did that, I would've received 2/5 and 2.5/5 in every round.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Yup that's the idea

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sent. Very sorry for being late.