Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v3. Less frustration™️, A REAL WINNER AT LAST!!!!  (Read 87011 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v3. Less frustration™️, RESULTS SOON!!!!
« Reply #525 on: December 21, 2017, 04:29:15 PM »
My over the Atlantic friends are up late!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #526 on: December 21, 2017, 04:32:30 PM »
My over the Atlantic friends are up late!
IT'S BED TIME DAMMIT

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: December 21, 2017, 04:35:05 PM »
 I'm ready for bed right now and it's 6:30 p.m. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #528 on: December 21, 2017, 04:40:43 PM »
Sacul you're never allowed to use soon again tbh  :corn
Valve time

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
RESULTS
« Reply #529 on: December 21, 2017, 04:41:55 PM »
Well, was hoping to provide more thorough writeups like Parama's now that there are less players and have given everything many listens, but I feel I'm far from that for most of these. Some feedback and recommendations are definitely appreciated. Also please notice that, between songs that have the same score, they aren't ranked at all now that it doesn't matter.

Bolsters: Tove Lo - Hey You Got Drugs?
This is pretty much the kind of radio pop I'm not fond of. Not because it's just on the radio (I'm not such hipster), but it just lacks much personality - I feel I've heard these kind of melodies and synths and even similar voices over and over in TV, ads, lame trailers, etc. Maybe it was just her music being played all the time, but it's not a sound I am fond of at all at this point. It's a bit more well-written than I was expecting tbh. Lyrics are stupid tho, I don't like songs about drugs like these. It's also pretty repetitive in structure. Dunno, it's not bad, but not something I really want to come back to. 3/5

Nekov: Vasudeva - Thought Pool
This is kind of a uuhhh proggy post-rock thing? It's kind of hard to talk about it, for I enjoy it when I'm listening to it, there are good vibes here and atmosphere is cool, but feels just like an interlude between more interesting sections (it sounds like the intro to the next song), or as background music to some emotional film or something. I think it's just lacking substance and I have a hard time remembering how this sounded even after 5 listens. 3/5

Train of Naught: Blonde Redhead - Misery is a Butterfly
I am not really sure what this song is about, it basically repeats the same rhythms and melodies throughout all its duration - it's quite one-dimensional. Sure it adds and subtracts some things here and there to keep it dynamic, but when I'm not really enjoying the base it becomes a little annoying and boring.

Also, I don't really like the singer's voice here - feels unnaturally high pitched, and her delivery just feels somewhat dumb to me, forced.

It's not a bad song, I'd even say it's enjoyable... as background music. I don't have much to say, but that's because there's not much to this track imo. +3/5

Kattoelox: Levin Minnemann Rudess - Lakeshore Lights
I vaguely recall listening to this album way back when it was released but I don't remember a single note from it. And I guess I can hear why.

It feels it tried the same approach as the LTE albums (half the lineup is here after all!), but ends up being a poor man's version of those fantastic two albums. The songs have many sections that just have really nothing to do with each other and the flow isn't very good either. Individually they're cool but the whole is kind of a mess.

On the bright side, they've got quite a bit of chemistry and their playing is top notch. And I really like Rudess' synths here, they've got a great sound.

All in all, it's still more interesting than what DT have been doing lately. 3.5/5

Luoto: Chaos Divine - Landmines
I can hear quite some Devin Townsend influence here, which is always nice, mostly with the layered guitars. For some reason this sounds too much like modern progressive metal and can hear many of its influences. And while it wouldn't be a problem if I really liked that particular sound, it is one here. I hate this is one of those instances in which I find myself having a hard time explaining what is about this song that doesn't work for me, because it's not really bad at all, but I guess I'll try. I don't like the singer's voice and his melodies are kind of boring, guitar's tone and playing feels quite generic besides the layered style, synths are ok but feel too buried in the mix. Production is quite bad, compressed and instruments are barely noticeable. I like the structure of the song tho, leaving some nice instrumental bits and not repeating itself exactly each time a section is played again. For some reason, after 5 listens, I can barely remember some of its melodies. 3.5/5

Evermind: Delerium - Silence
I think I may have sampled this album some months ago, just checking bits here and there but not whole songs. Until now!

For some reason this makes me think of a religious or New Age version of The Gathering's Souvenirs - the singer strikes me as having a similar style. Although she may be overdoing it a little bit at times, I have to compliment her passionate, strong delivery during the chorus, which has some pretty cool melodies.

In terms of sound, this definitely feels a little dated, with those synths, electronic piano, and the gregorian chants. Plus the simple sampled beats. But it's also a sound I enjoy (not love) so it doesn't hurt too much. In a way it also reminds me of that other electronic song you sent me in the previous roulette, and in both cases, these are surprisingly well-written tracks and don't make me cringe - I just have encountered awful religious/spiritual music. Sure it has a pretty basic, simple structure, but it works ok.

All in all, it's a solid track that feels a little dated and it's certainly enjoyable a listen, but, after 5 listens, I feel it doesn't have much replay value. Like I've heard everything it had to offer and don't feel compelled to go back to it. +3.5/5

home: NF - How Could You Leave Us
This was definitely a bit of a tough song to listen to and write about, because of the raw emotional delivery and intimate topic. On the one hand, the melodies are simple and moving, the atmosphere is moving, and lyrics are crushing. On the other hand, the piano melodies become pretty repetitive since they don't vary at all. And the little sounds of the guy sobbing were a bit too much, as well as him crying near the end of the track. I mean that, personally, I don't like to hear people outright crying in my music - when they're close to it and delivering some raw, powerful vocals, yeah, but not lamented crying. So yeah, it's a difficult listen, but probably goes a bit more than it should to express the emotions it is about. +3.5/5

tomislav95: Daughter - Medicine
This song is rather simple, but effective. I like the subtle piano, the vocal harmonies, and the soft electronic beat, it all helps create a lovely atmosphere. The singer's got a nice voice too. My only complaint would be that the climax doesn't feel too cathartic, and the song could have been a little longer. Wasn't very impressed at first but it managed to grow a bit on me, not enough to love it, just to be a pretty pleasant and emotional listen. 4/5

Elite: Oh Wonder - Technicolour Beat
Well I definitely didn't expect something like this from you so it's a nice surprise. For some reason I feel I've already listened to the the main sample on this song somewhere else. It's a short electropop song, I like the beats and the claps as part of the percussion. The male/female vocal duo works well, even if the girl has definitely more presence. There's some cool piano in the background, I like it. Although it's pretty standard in terms of structure, I like how the last chorus is a little different with those cool synths, giving it a different feel. Although it reminds me of other modern artists, it's got cool enough melodies and vibes for me. 4/5

Parama: White Ward - Deviant Shapes
This song starts pretty interesting with those spoken word samples, the slow riffing, and the electronics. Then it breaks and becomes heavy (yay), just to fall into blast beats and growls (meh). But I'm glad that part is fairly short and some lovely sax appears then some nice riffing. It all goes pretty cool and nice until more black metal appears. With time I'm more sure that shrieks/growls + blast beats is definitely something I won't ever be really fond of, so it shows when those are by far my least fav sections of the songs you've submitted so far (except Georgia).  So yeah, dunno if the rest of the album leans more towards the more atmospheric and electronic parts of this song, but this track was solid overall. 4/5

kingshmegland: Echolyn - Past Gravity
I'm not even sure I've heard of these guys before, but am glad you sent them. They play that particular style of prog that's more focused on melody, arrangements, and subtlety than complexity.

This is is curious, because many of the particular sounds, like the synths and keys, sound quite retro, yet the songwriting is very modern. I like how organic everything sounds and each instruments are clearly separated from each other. Singer may sound a bit like typical for this genre, but he delivers a convincing performance. There are also some strings on the background providing textures for the whole thing, and I'm glad they aren't more prominent.

The overall structure is interesting, with sections changing slightly when they're reprised. The buildup to the climax is pretty cool, and I enjoy the aftermath with those soft samples and the post-rock-ish guitars. Overall the amount of piano is quite satisfying by the way.

Although it doesn't hit me as strong as it does to you king, it was a very solid track and I'm looking forward to listening to the whole thing. +4/5

ariich: The Reign of Kindo - Let It Go
I recall listening to one song from these guys in Plug and wasn't too keen on that particular track. But I am on this!

This has got a peculiar chill vibe, and it mixes progressive rock melodies that remind me of The Dear Hunter, with some jazzy vibes, without ever going into unnecessarily intricate playing. RYM tags this album as Jazz-Rock and Indie Rock, which seems fitting.

I definitely enjoy the simplicity of the song paired with the lovely mood it achieves - the intro reminded me of Nujabes for some reason. The piano and the trumpet are the highlight to me here, I just love the melodies they play and how they fit the overall vibe. Guitar's pretty cool as well and has got an interesting tone to it. I'm also glad there are a few instrumental bits, these guys feel they're just having a good time together. I like how the instrumentation on the last chorus is different, with the trumpet complementing the other melodies, and following on it until the end.

Definitely the biggest grower of the roulette to me, and one that I didn't mind putting on repeat while writing this. 4.5/5

Positions
ariich 8.5
Elite 8
kingshmegland 8
Parama 8
Evermind +7.5
home 7.5
Katteolox 7.5
Luoto 7.5
tomislav95 7.5
Bolsters +7
Nekov 7
Train of Naught +6.5
Solid round fellas, you've got 48 hours to deliver more great stuff :metal
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 05:05:01 PM by Sacul »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
I'm almost 100% sure I've played you Let It Go before :lol oh but yeah check out that reign of kindo album, I remember you liked the (instrumental) title track a lot too. Fair judgement on Blonde Redhead tbh, but still disappointing to be last

I'll send right away if I can find something suitable
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:52:10 PM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Awe yeah!!!! :metal

Glad you liked it.  The whole album will really pull you in. It's my favorite in their discography.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Maybe I can place decently in this roulette after all  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

I'm content with 4/5, didn't expect to blow you away tbh. What to send next hmm :justjen
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Honestly that's about what I expected you to say about that track. I was hoping that you hadn't heard it already, although I assumed you may have. I tried to pick the one that was most straightforward without typical heavy guitars, and the one with the most memorable motif - love the synth lead sound in that one too. Glad you enjoyed it, somewhat ;)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I was expecting a better score but I know why you feel that way, the whole album flows from one song to another so it might be better as a whole than in separate songs. I'll browse through my library and send something soon.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Sent.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Hell yeah!

Glad you liked it so much, I agree with Train of Naught that you'll probably dig that album quite a bit. Their third LP "Play With Fire" is also excellent, leans slightly more towards the jazzy but still not in an overly-intricate way.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm alright with this.

Forgot to send yesterday. :lol Sending in a few minutes.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Taking my chances with this next one, hope you enjoy it. Sent!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Sent!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm almost 100% sure I've played you Let It Go before :lol oh but yeah check out that reign of kindo album, I remember you liked the (instrumental) title track a lot too.
I mustn't have been paying attention then  :lol I'll definitely check the album soon.

Honestly that's about what I expected you to say about that track. I was hoping that you hadn't heard it already, although I assumed you may have. I tried to pick the one that was most straightforward without typical heavy guitars, and the one with the most memorable motif - love the synth lead sound in that one too. Glad you enjoyed it, somewhat ;)
Oh yeah the synth lead was my fav part of it :P

I was expecting a better score but I know why you feel that way, the whole album flows from one song to another so it might be better as a whole than in separate songs.
Yeah I feel I'd have dug it more had I been listening to it in an album context.

Offline Tomislav95

Sent. Sorry, I forgot to send yesterday :blush

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sent!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Merry Christmas folks, here's my little gift for you  :metal

?: ____ _________ _ _____ ________ ________ - ________
?: ___ _________ ___ __ ______ - ___ _________ ___ ________ ___ _____
?: ___ - ________ __ ________ ____ __________ __ ___________
?: ____ - _______
?: ___ _______ ____ - _______
?: _________ _______ - _______ ___ __ _______ ___
?: ______ - ______
?: ________ _____ - ___ ____
?: _______ _________ - _____________
?: _________ - ________
?: __ _______ - ____ ____
?: ______ - ____ ____ ____

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
La Dispute - King Park sent by home

D please
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
gimme dat E

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v3. Less frustration™️, Christmas gift!!!!
« Reply #547 on: December 25, 2017, 12:25:43 PM »
La Dispute - King Park sent by home
Was it too obvious? Lol

?: ____ _________ _ E____ _e______ ________ - ________
?: __e _e_e_____ E_d __ ___e__ - __e ___e_____ __e ______d_ __e ___e_
?: ___ - E_e____e __ e_e____e ___d E_e_______ __ e_e________
?: __e _______ __ee - _______
?: ____e____ _______ - _______ __d __ _e_____ __d
?: ______ - _____e
?: ___e____ ___e_ - ___ _e__
?: ___ee__ ___e_____ - _e________e_e
?: __e_d____ - ______e_
home: La Dispute - King Park
?: ______ - De__ De_d D___

Guessed letters: D E

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #548 on: December 25, 2017, 12:26:33 PM »
Frost* - Dear Dead Days

nekov?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: December 25, 2017, 01:58:15 PM »
Nope :P

+---+
 |    |
 O   |
      |
      |
      |
=======

?: ____ _________ _ E____ _e______ ________ - ________
?: __e _e_e_____ E_d __ ___e__ - __e ___e_____ __e ______d_ __e ___e_
?: ___ - E_e____e __ e_e____e ___d E_e_______ __ e_e________
?: __e _______ __ee - _______
?: ____e____ _______ - _______ __d __ _e_____ __d
?: ______ - _____e
?: ___e____ ___e_ - ___ _e__
?: ___ee__ ___e_____ - _e________e_e
?: __e_d____ - ______e_
?: Frost* - Dear Dead Days

Guessed letters: D E

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #550 on: December 25, 2017, 02:00:40 PM »
A?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #551 on: December 25, 2017, 02:01:54 PM »
au4 - everyone is everyone (and everything is everything)

dude your autogenerator needs to stop replacing stuff like parentheses and commas  :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: December 25, 2017, 02:09:19 PM »
show me R

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: December 25, 2017, 02:23:05 PM »
dude your autogenerator needs to stop replacing stuff like parentheses and commas  :corn
Feel free to contribute to the project, I'm kind of lazy now and it's not even finished :P

+---+
 |    |
 O   |
      |
      |
      |
=======

?: __ar ___r_____ _ E__ar _e______ _______a - _______a
?: __e Re_e_____ E_d __ __re__ - __e _a_e__a_, __e ____a_d, __e ___er
?: AU4 - Everyone is everyone (and Everything is everything)
?: _A__ - _a_____
?: __e _______ _ree - _a_____
?: ____er___ _______ - _r_____ __d __ _e_____ __d
?: ___a__ - _____e
?: ___er___ R__er - __r Rea_
?: __ree_a ___e_____ - _e__ar____e_e
?: A_e_d____ - __a___e_

Guessed letters: D E , ( ) A R

Katteolox waits 3 turns
Parama waits 2 turns :neverusethis:
Tomislav95 waits 1 turn

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #554 on: December 25, 2017, 02:25:51 PM »
Train of Naught: Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik's Skuggsjá - Skuggsjá

Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #555 on: December 25, 2017, 02:31:43 PM »
The Receiving End of Sirens - The Salesman, The Husband, The Lover

no clue who sent this, maybe luke?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #556 on: December 25, 2017, 02:31:54 PM »
i definitely see amendfoil
one of the songs could be called "our real"?

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #557 on: December 25, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »
one of the songs could be called "our real"?

You For Real with that? :corn

V
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: December 25, 2017, 03:46:02 PM »
no clue who sent this, maybe luke?
He didn't even make the cut  :lol

+---+
 |    |
 O   |
 |    |
      |
      |
=======

Train of Naught: Ivar Bjornsson & Einar Selvik's Skuggsja - Skuggsja
?: The Receiving End of Sirens - The Salesman, The Husband, The Lover
?: AU4 - Everyone is everyone (and Everything is everything)
?: _A__ - _a_____
?: __e _______ _ree - _a_____
?: ___ver___ _______ - _r_____ __d __ _e_____ __d
?: ___a__ - _____e
?: ___erv__ R_ver - __r Rea_
?: __ree_a ___e_____ - _e__ar____e_e
?: Amendfoil - __a___e_

Guessed letters: D E , ( ) A R V

Luoto waits 3 turns
Katteolox waits 2 turns
Parama waits 1 turn

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #559 on: December 25, 2017, 03:54:42 PM »
Fifth one is The .... Tree

There are apparently many bands with a name like that
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey