Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v3. Less frustration™️, A REAL WINNER AT LAST!!!!  (Read 86964 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #420 on: December 14, 2017, 10:19:16 PM »
Sorry if some of these writeups aren't very detailed, with 19 entries and trying to digest everything in so little time is the best I could come up with. Sadly, I had to cut some folks, so I thank everybody for participating! First, those that unfortunate that have the axe to fall on them.

Lethean: Threshold - Pilot in the Sky of Dreams
I think I tried another of their albums some years ago, Hypotetical, and wasn't really my thing. And this one is no exception. What is it exactly that I don't like? I'm not really sure, because the song is well-written, but for some reason I feel I've already listened to stuff like this many times already, and it's not even a style I particularly enjoy. Progressive metal like this band, Shadow Gallery, and Redemption don't really appeal to me at all these days. 3/5

jingle.boy: Ozzy Osbourne - Bark at the Moon
I found myself liking Black Sabbath quite a bit some months ago so was curious about hearing something from Ozzy. And... I'm disappointed. This feels like very standard 80s heavy metal? Maybe this was part of what influenced all that metal that came after, but it also doesn't sound any distinctive, at least not this song. It's a nice song yeah but this is not a style I was ever too fond of. 3/5

wolfking: Pendragon - The Freak Show
Although this one starts pretty cool with that riff, I quickly lose interest. Feels like it drags until the vocals appear, and they aren't really good nor their melodies are. I feel the same kind of thing about the Threshold song, it's not a bad song, but it's just not a style I'm particularly fond of nor am wanting to get more of it. 3/5

Stadler: Band of Horses - No One's Gonna Love You
I really was looking forward to your submissions, Mr Fogey, but this one isn't doing much for me. It's got nice vibes and melodies, but just feels generic Indie Rock to me, and that's not something I'm huge on. Also lyrics are bland, and they seem quite the focus here so it doesn't help either. Not bad at all, but not really something I enjoy much. 3/5

twosuitsluke: John Frusciante - A Song to Sing When I'm Lonely
Frusciante has always seemed like the most interesting member of RHCP, playing for The Mars Volta, and having written albums in many styles and genres. This one has slowly been growing on me. Despite the cool synths at the beginning, feels a bit like a standard singer-songwriter track tho, which is weird considering the album is tagged as Experimental Rock in a few places so maybe it's just this song. It's a nice song yeah, but just that, not one I find extremely memorable. +3/5

TAC: Sleeping In Traffic - Not Your Fault
This one's kind of conflicting to me - on the one hand there's lots of very cool guitar work here, mostly in that amazing break in the middle. On the other hand, lyrics are weak, and the sung parts feel like standard progressive metal for the most part. It's just not something I really see myself wanting to listen to more of. 3.5/5

Puppies_On_Acid: Soen - Orison
I've always listened to some songs from this band here and there during plug sessions, and never got too interested in them. Maybe cuz they felt like Tool 2: Electric Boogaloo or something. But seems that on this track, although the Opeth/Tool/Katatonia influences are still there, definitely has more personality than what I've previously heard from them. Cool riffs, but a bit too long tho, kinda drags for a while. Doesn't blow me away but it's enjoyable. 3.5/5

Now, I couldn't bring myself to just picking 10 because I know there would be lots of very cool stuff some of you guys could send me and I'd be missing on, but also knew some would end up just frustrated by the small intersection between our tastes. Thus, I'm gonna pick 12, as I am confident I can handle it well, and I hope we can all have a nice time together. So, props to everybody that got through!

home: mewithoutyou - Rainbow Signs
I don't know why I feel I would enjoy this track a lot more if I was already familiar with the band and this album. I like the buildup and the climax of the song is pretty cool albeit a little repetitive and drags a bit. Dunno, I like this song, but doesn't have the emotional impact I was expecting. 3.5/5

Tomislav95: The Sword - Maiden, Mother & Crone
I don't know man, I like stoner stuff like this, and although it's pretty cool and quite :metal, it feels just like heavier early Black Sabbath, with no much new stuff in the mix to make their style more unique. I feel you have better stuff you could send me. 3.5/5

Train of Naught: God is an Astronaut - Helios Erebus
This is one of three entries that could be described as "crescendocore". I think somebody sent me a song from "All Is Violent, All Is Bright" in the previous roulette and it did just ok. I like the first buildup, but the middle section with the piano is just wonderful. Second buildup is quite good too. But, the only things going on on this song are the buildups and just that. It's kinda one-dimensional and although I really like it when listening to it, I have a hard time remembering it afterwards. It's not completely generic, but it's not very creative either. 3.5/5

kingshmegland: Slow Motion Reign - Life Simulator
This is a bit of an odd one, it's kind of proggy but also atmospheric? I like the piano melodies. It's one that's definitely been growing on me, there are many things buried in the mix. It can be a little repetitive in structure and melodies tho, and I'd have definitely enjoyed some instrumental breaks - it just feels so busy and I prefer some little pauses from time to time. +3.5/5

Nekov: Papir - IIII.II
I really like the guitar tone, it reminds me of GYBE!'s first two albums. Somehow it's an hypnotic track and doesn't feel too long for a 9-min track. I think it's because it's more of a psychedelic rock song than a post-rock one, having some improvisational feel to it. Guitar work here is pretty good and engaging, kinda reminds me of My Brother the Wind. It reaches a nice climax but just doesn't stop there, I like how it slowly calms down. It's a bit of an ethereal song and although it's quite crescendocore, it's got just enough unique style to appeal to me. 4/5

Evermind: Easily Embarrassed - Little Trees and Mysteries
Didn't expect you liking this sort of music, but stranger things have been seen. I like the intro, very cool synth work. Then it kicks in and becomes more interesting with the dub and the glitches and stuff. Kinda reminds me of Shpongle and Hinkstep (check Tales of the Inexpressible and and Sunrise From the Treetops respectively if you like this kind of music). It's certainly pretty fun, I like this kind of music, pretty cool as background. 4/5

Luoto: Eastern High - Afterglow
I like how this song evolves and builds up, reaching a cool guitar solo. Dunno why I was expecting to hear growls at any moment, and I'm glad they never appeared. I really like the use of vocal harmonies throughout this track and the, uh, Nordic vibes I think? Took some time to grow on me, but enough to save you. 4/5

Parama: Georgia - Move Systems
This song is definitely very weird, and took time to grow on me. It's got this industrial vibe throughout it and although I could see others hating on it, I'm enjoying it. Melodies are pretty unusual yet quite catchy. I like the synths quite a bit. As usual with pop stuff, I wished there was some kind of instrumental break here and there, because it can get repetitive otherwise. But yeah I like these sounds, risky choice but ended up well. 4/5

Elite: Ninet - Paper Parachute
Oh boy, Steven Wilson must have had a heart attack when listening to this album or song at least - it's extremely compressed! Which is a real shame since the production is great and music is pretty cool. Although not groundbreaking at all, it's some very intense alternative rock, and Ninet's brilliant performance sells it. It's a short song, but pretty good for what it does. 4/5

Kattoelox: Incognito - Jacaranda
Yeah this is definitely better than your previous submission. I've been delving into Snarky Puppy a lot lately and this reminds me of them and appeals to me. Has a very nice chill atmosphere without ending up feeling like boring Smooth Jazz, just nice compositions and playing. The structure of the song is quite simple but I don't mind when it's this enjoyable. 4/5

ariich: Petter Carlsen - Spirits in Need
I'll admit at first I was worried you'd get the axe, but this has grown on me recently. Style kinda reminds me of Anathema and dredg to an extent and it's very nice and atmospheric. Got a great climax. Kinda wished there were more instrumental breaks in general but it's very enjoyable nevertheless. 4/5

Bolsters: Lykke Li - Heart of Steel
Was a little underwhelmed at first but this one has grown on me, definitely more interesting than your previous submission. Lovely atmosphere and instrumentation (mostly the piano), I like all these catchy melodies and the harmonies. Kinda wished it had some instrumental breaks from time to time tho. +4/5

Positions
Bolsters +4
ariich 4
Katteolox 4
Elite 4
Parama 4
Luoto 4
Evermind 4
Nekov 4
kingshmegland +3.5
Train of Naught 3.5
tomislav95 3.5
home 3.5

Great job everyone! Now you've got 48 hours to send :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v3. Less frustration™️, SOON!!!
« Reply #421 on: December 14, 2017, 10:21:01 PM »
i have absolutely nothing prepared for the rest of this roulette! perfect!
converge still sucks

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v3. Less frustration™️, SOON!!!
« Reply #422 on: December 14, 2017, 10:23:39 PM »
Maybe I should ban you and have TAC send me sweet-ass Winger in every round  :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v3. Less frustration™️, ELIM. RESULTS!!!
« Reply #423 on: December 14, 2017, 10:27:40 PM »
nah i can send winger by myself

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #424 on: December 14, 2017, 10:34:11 PM »
Didn't quite make the cut.  :'( I may have played it too safe with my song choice. Oh well, good luck to everyone else!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #425 on: December 14, 2017, 11:27:41 PM »
I'll send something later tonight.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #426 on: December 15, 2017, 12:09:42 AM »

Yeah, this :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #427 on: December 15, 2017, 03:20:58 AM »
Jesus, I barely made it :o
Expect my song in 10 hours or so. If not, then tomorrow.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #428 on: December 15, 2017, 03:36:41 AM »
I forgot that I should refrain from sending favourite songs, I always end up getting disappointed.

roughly the same, I made a playlist but nothing there is really saculcore.

Sent Rick-and-Morty-core
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #429 on: December 15, 2017, 03:47:29 AM »
Sent Rick-and-Morty-core
Get Schwifty?

I don't know what saculcore is tbh. It's hard to get your tastes, man :justjen
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: December 15, 2017, 04:06:17 AM »
Tim and Chad, I'll give you boys a lift, we're going down to the pub.

Looking at the bands that got through, considering I've never even heard of any of those band names (except The Sword, which I still haven't heard anything from)  the three of us simply didn't stand a chance in this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #431 on: December 15, 2017, 04:22:00 AM »

Looking at the bands that got through, considering I've never even heard of any of those band names (except The Sword, which I still haven't heard anything from)  the three of us simply didn't stand a chance in this.

Oh, I knew that from the beginning.  Definitely not a match if Bark at the Moon = Standard 80s metal?  :lolpalm:

Kids these days.   ;) :P
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #432 on: December 15, 2017, 05:00:54 AM »
No more eliminations right? Time to send abhorrent black metal :metal
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #433 on: December 15, 2017, 05:13:10 AM »
Made it.  Alright, I'll send tonight!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: December 15, 2017, 05:15:26 AM »
 :D

You should check that album out, I think that one is like the 3rd best track out of the 4, but since the others were longer than 10 minutes I couldn't send them. It's a pretty solid album.

As well as the other guys, I have nothing prepared so I'll spend some time looking at you RYM and seeing if there is something in my library you haven't listened to yet.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: December 15, 2017, 06:12:26 AM »
And sent

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #436 on: December 15, 2017, 06:19:01 AM »
Sweet. Will send soon. :)

Incognito has several stellar albums, they got me into smooth jazz. The album with Jacaranda (Eleven) and 100 Degrees and Rising are musical joys to hear.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:28:57 AM by Kattoelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #437 on: December 15, 2017, 06:28:07 AM »
Whoo, just made it across. Now I can sent whatever shit I want for the next rounds  ;D
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: December 15, 2017, 08:17:15 AM »
Wow, I'm actually in! I also have nothing prepared as I assumed I will get eliminated.

Time to send Powerwolf and Sabaton and whatnot.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #439 on: December 15, 2017, 08:57:49 AM »
i sent some :corn-core

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #440 on: December 15, 2017, 09:28:33 AM »

Join you?  First round's on me.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: December 15, 2017, 09:34:17 AM »
Sent!

It's fun sending bands I would've never sent in anyone else's roulette.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: December 15, 2017, 09:48:24 AM »
Sent!

It's fun sending bands I would've never sent in anyone else's roulette.

Same. I'm deliberately sending picks from genres I'm only kind of familiar with (but enough to know what I like and don't like). Trying to avoid prog-power metal as much as possible and pick other favorites that Sacul also might enjoy is a fun challenge :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: December 15, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »
I'm having a similar approach, no prog or power metal, no standard prog, just going with little known bands that do something else.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: December 15, 2017, 10:02:09 AM »
^^ Funny thing is there are picks I want to send that are actually REALLY popular but I don't see a shred of evidence on RYM or last.fm that he's listened to them. So that's kind of cool.  :biggrin: There's also some DT-related stuff I don't see but that might be dangerous to send :)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: December 15, 2017, 10:04:41 AM »
Also, we could all agree to send Power/Prog/Black metal for a couple of rounds just to bother him  :P

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: December 15, 2017, 10:08:21 AM »
Let's not do that, it's never fun to receive music you know you don't like.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: December 15, 2017, 10:17:50 AM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: December 15, 2017, 10:23:24 AM »
:lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #449 on: December 15, 2017, 10:38:25 AM »
Also, we could all agree to send Power/Prog/Black metal for a couple of rounds just to bother him  :P
way ahead of you  :hat

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #450 on: December 15, 2017, 10:47:41 AM »
Better yet, we can all send power metal every round now, as there's no more elimination. :biggrin:

Glad you liked the Petter Carlsen, Sacul, I know what you mean about the initial listen(s) - the earlier part of the song is nice but that's kind of it, but once you know the song and how it builds up towards the end it's great.

And sent!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #451 on: December 15, 2017, 11:24:36 AM »
Send White Lion
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: December 15, 2017, 02:31:20 PM »

Join you?  First round's on me.

You're in.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: December 15, 2017, 05:08:06 PM »
Sorry I haven't sent anything yet, just got home, will send something later tonight.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #454 on: December 15, 2017, 06:06:35 PM »
Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC