Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v3. Less frustration™️, A REAL WINNER AT LAST!!!!  (Read 86965 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v3. Less frustration™️, HANGMENEN TIME!!!
« Reply #210 on: December 10, 2017, 02:36:22 PM »
Of course.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #211 on: December 10, 2017, 03:14:23 PM »

Stadler sent Phil Collins?

No, but I'm pretty sure it was a fogey.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: December 10, 2017, 03:56:31 PM »
Indeed.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #213 on: December 10, 2017, 04:03:48 PM »

Stadler sent Phil Collins?

No, but I'm pretty sure it was a fogey.

Obvious statement is obvious.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2017, 09:18:51 PM »
Results? :soon:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2017, 09:30:11 PM »
:corn :corn :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: December 10, 2017, 10:15:39 PM »
Where's Bolsters' moving SOON when you need it?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #217 on: December 10, 2017, 10:54:59 PM »
Here they are! I'm glad scores on this round don't count :lol. It seems that, the more you stay away from the generic section of a genre, the more likely I am to enjoy it :P

Lethean: Arcturus - Angst
I've heard of this group, some Ulver side project, and this seems from their last album, without Garm. Although Avant-Garde Metal, mostly blended with Black Metal, isn't my thing, I think I'll still their first albums a try. Sadly, this song doesn't really do anything to me, it feels very one-dimensional with those boring blast beats through most of the track. The chorus is ok, but kind of feels almost like a power metal one with some growls lol. 2.5/5

Kattoelox: Skyclad - Inequality Street
I think these guys might have watched Forrest Gump a bit too much :lol. Like, lyrics aren't really good and they repeat the chocolate box thing over and over. Over some actually nice, if cheesy, folk metal. I enjoy the violin work here, and the instrumentation isn't boring either. It's just too cheesy for me to take serious, and too dumb to take non-seriously I think. +2.5/5

Puppies_On_Acid: Kardashev - Between Sea and Sky
Well, this definitely is heavy and layered, but man, this isn't really my kind of thing in general - it's some kind of atmospheric deathcore I think? I like the calm sections, even if they aren't the most original, but there's a cool atmosphere here. But I'm not into the heavier sections afterwards at all. I don't have much to day, I don't feel the song has much to offer to me. +2.5/5

jingle.boy: Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight
I swear I've heard the same vocal melodies somewhere else but can't remember. Anyways, the drum machine and background guitars are nice, and Phil's voice is ok. I like how the background vocals become robotic throughout the song. I don't really care about the lyrics, he repeats the same phrases way too many times for it to become a little annoying. For some reason I kept waiting for some emotional climax, like the song was building up towards it, and it kinda gets there when the drums kick in, and he starts singing more intensely. But then it all starts to fade out and that's it. So, uhhm. It's an ok song I think? 3/5

TAC: Aeolias - Ergosphere
This is an interesting submission, I like the singer's low register. And although this has got an interesting atmosphere, and riffs are ok, somehow feels like typical prog metal with some power metal vibes, or the other way around? It's not really the kind of music I'm looking to listen to more of these days. It's a good song, but I just don't really feel attracted to this style anymore. 3/5

Luoto: Embreach - The Lake
For some reason I feel I've heard this many times before. Just feels like generic melodeath with some proggy vibes - that kind of music isn't really my thing. I like the chorus with the background vocals, and the clean sections are nice, mostly the vocal harmonies at the end, but overall I am not really into this. 3/5

Parama: Deathspell Omega - Phosphene
Of course I've heard this band being played at some plug sessions but don't remember a thing so let this pass. I think this track is interesting when it's not being boring black metal with those blast beats and growls at the same time, which is almost half the song. But I really like change of structure of the last quarter of the song, the whole atmosphere and riffing being on point.

Although I understand your comparison to Converge, Deathspell being more chaotic and heavy, I prefer the other band's music for their raw, honest emotional expression, and great riffs of course. This song just feels like some satanic worshiping (which is likely the case), and that's kind of a mentality/emotional state I can't relate at all, which may be why I don't connect with black metal at all. 3/5

Bolsters: Taylor Swift - I Wish You Would
I'll admit I went into this one a little biased but I tried my best to overcome that and try be fair. I like the electronic percussion here and the guitar sounds are nice. It's a bit of a layered song with some nice synths here and there. But I feel the chorus is repeated way too often so it ends up being not so memorable, and the amount of times she repeats the same lyrics ends up annoying me. I often find with this kind of pop music that there's more focus on vocals and lyrics with the rest of the music just serving as background. Vocal melodies weren't really interesting at all sadly. I wouldn't say it was a bad track, but it's not really something I'd like to go back - I feel I've burnt on it after just 4 listens. I guess I just would like something with a bit more depth. 3/5

Tomislav95: The Mountain Goats - This Year
After plenty of heavy songs, a nice indie folk serves as a necessary interlude. Sadly, this is just nice. Instrumentation is very one-dimensional, with very little variation throughout, and I don't really care for the lyrics, which seem the point here. Dunno, it's very simple and repetitive, there's not much relistening value to me. +3/5

twosuitsluke: Shining - House of Control
Well this is definitely different from their Blackjazz record and I think you mentioned come industrial influences. I've only heard one other track from this album before, and that had some cool sax going on. This one, uuhhhh... it's kind of weird. I don't like the guy yelling during the calm sections. Cool how the chorus progresses, in the last instance with the strings and piano buried in the mix. The last chorus is actually very nice.

I think my problem with the song is that there are not enough interesting things going on with the instrumentation beyond the chorus, and the vocals are pretty one-dimensional for a track that switches moods a few times. Sure they've got a unique sound to them but for some reason it just doesn't appeal to me, or rather, I can't connect with this. 3.5/5

Train of Naught: Long Distance Calling - Black Paper Planes
So this is kinda progressive post-rock or something? It's... cool. I mean, it's one of those songs that you like when you're listening to them, but some time later you can't recall a single note from it. Riffing is nice, drums are great, but somehow it feels like another song's instrumental version. Or just as this was part of a soundtrack or something? For some reason I feel I've heard something like this done plenty of times before but can't pinpoint exactly where. Which is frustrating because there are cool things here. 3.5/5

wolfking: Sieges Even - Stigmata
I think I can hear some strong Rush influence here, and that's usually not a good sign to me. I don't really like the abuse of those 80s guitars through most of the song (way too prominent in the mix), but I like the chemistry between the players here, mostly the drummer and bassist. The atmosphere is nice, but I don't really like the vocal melodies nor the lyrics. So the instrumental sections are definitely more interesting to me here, even if they don't blow my mind or anything. 3.5/5

home: Ab-Soul - Terrorist Threats
Among so much metal, a hip-hop song is always welcomed, even if just as a change of pace. The more I delve into hip-hop, the more I appreciate the tough work that is to get creative, addictive beats and not falling into generic tricks into production and rapping. Which this song suffers a bit from. It's got an interesting atmosphere, mostly with those cool synths and vocal harmonies. Guy has flow and it's good, but I feel all the vocals and the chorus are kinda generic in their delivery and melodies. And lyrics are kind lame - I doubt that even if all gangs got together, they wouldn't stand no chance against the military :lol. 3.5/5

Nevok: Arcadea - Rings of Saturn
I really like the synths here, very cool sound and melodies. Vocals are ok, I like how they're a little more buried in the mix and have this digital feel to them. The rest of the song felt like some ok Mastodon, which isn't a band I'm into. Decent song. 3.5/5

Elite: Agent Fresco - Bemoan
Yeah I remember you sent me another of their songs on the previous roulette and it did ok, although not enough to make me check the record. I think my issue is the lack of balance between the different sections of the songs, they just jump to each other without pause, and vocals are present the whole time, not leaving the instrumentation stand on its own or have its moment, only towards the end. It feels it would do better with a bit more of subtlety for the kind of music it was trying to make, because I quite like the piano and the melodies in general. Just feels a little rushed in general to me. 3.5/5

Evermind: Dark Empire - From Refuge to Ruin
I feel with this one the same way as with TAC's song - I am just not into this style of music. The melodies, guitar tone, artwork, even the singer's voice, I feel I've heard it all before and didn't find it interesting then, nor find it today I guess. It's just the kind of music I don't get much enjoyment from, even if it's a solid track and well-written. 3.5/5

ariich: Maribou State - Steal
Yeah I've been delving into chill electronic quite a bit this year so this was a good choice. I like the singer's voice and the overall atmosphere. Even if some of the sounds here are kinda generic for this kind of music, they're used in a very subtle, nice way and avoid becoming just another bland background music. I'm not sure if I'm into the "steal" sample, it's kind of dumb. But overall this has got a great vibe. 4/5

Stadler: The Flaming Lips - Do you even Realize??
Well, definitely didn't expect this from you so color me surprised. The chorus is pretty nice, and I like the vocal harmonies and little synths and details throughout the chorus. The vibe and instrumentation are quite nice, even if the main melody feels a little cliched somehow. Somehow I feel this is probably one of the band's most straightforward tracks and they have more interesting things in them. My only complaints are that it might be a bit too short, and lyrics are a little cheesy, but overall it was quite a nice song. 4/5

kinghmegland: The Raconteurs - The Switch And The Spur
Definitely a very interesting submission. Like you said, some pretty old music but with a modern twist - I tend to prefer those things. Use of trumpet here is very good and lovely. Although a pretty simple song, it's my favorite of the round. I like old vibes, the piano, the very cool guitar work, and the drumming is on point. I don't know, this just appeals me quite a bit, and it's fun to listen to. +4/5

You've tested the waters, now it's time for the elimination round! You have 48 hours to send from now on, and think hard or you'll get the axe :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I suppose I settled on that one because I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for in particular (if you are at all) and that one was testing some iffy waters. I have a few ideas I'm going to think about hard tomorrow before sending. Interesting reactions to all the songs.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
not last place, nice  :corn
anyways you already have my "song to be eliminated with" entry so have fun

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Wow, when the description for the 4th place entry is "I'm just not into this", it's probably not a great round. :lol

Pleased with 3rd place myself, and glad you dug it! Maribou State have only one full length, which you should check out, it's pretty varied (which is obviously hard to get across in a single song). They also have a bunch of EPs, some of which are great, some of which are a bit dull.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Well, after testing the waters, and getting shot down  :P I sent something I think you will enjoy for the real elimination round. Hopefully it doesn't get me eliminated.  :corn Enjoy!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Sent my first real, and possibly final, submission.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Alright, that's fair.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh, that wasn't the elimination round? Alright, let's have a look and see what we can come up with.  Just a heads up, I don't read rules and shit.  Even though everything will be explained cleary to everyone, I just don't fucking take any notice.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad, In the Air Tonight?  WTF?!

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Sent :corn
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Kids these days need to be cultured.  I'm going all classic, all the time.  Which - most likely - means 1 more round.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Kids these days need to be cultured.  I'm going all classic, all the time.  Which - most likely - means 1 more round.
Yeah but that was an especially odd choice when Sacul said he doesn't tend to like older music, or cheesy music. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah but that was an especially odd choice when Sacul said he doesn't tend to like older music, or cheesy music. :lol

I'm determined to prove him wrong about "old" music.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
[url]And lyrics are kind lame[!/url]
He's got some great lyrics, especially on Control System. However on his last album he kind of tries to hard to be woke in a pretty cringey way, with lots of pseudointellectual lyrics devoid of any real meaning.

I'll send shortly!
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I suppose I settled on that one because I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for in particular (if you are at all).
I'm just looking for interesting music that doesn't fit into the Power / Death / Black Metal genres for the most past :P

I'm determined to prove him wrong about "old" music.
I've got absolutely nothing against old music (I love Mike Oldfield, Pink Floyd, and I quite like some King Crimson and The Stooges among others), I just don't really connect with a lot of it, or at least the stuff I've tried.

He's got some great lyrics, especially on Control System. However on his last album he kind of tries to hard to be woke in a pretty cringey way, with lots of pseudointellectual lyrics devoid of any real meaning.
Let me guess, they're anti-Trump or something? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I've got absolutely nothing against old music (I love Mike Oldfield, Pink Floyd, and I quite like some King Crimson and The Stooges among others), I just don't really connect with a lot of it, or at least the stuff I've tried.

I gave you Sorrow in your 1st roulette, and you rated it a 6.  :P

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
And I stand for that score, although I should revisit that album, it's been a while :P.

The Stooges' Fun House is a banger  :metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Woot!!  I'll send a song tonight!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
If I don't get knocked out in this round, I'll surely get knocked out in the next  :lol Just sent mine.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Tomislav95

How can you not know In The Air Tonight :o
Will send today.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
If I don't get knocked out in this round, I'll surely get knocked out in the next  :lol Just sent mine.
There's only one elimination round, all players that aren't cut will play until the end :P

How can you not know In The Air Tonight :o
I don't know, they don't play his music much around here I think, and I've never been a radio listener so :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh, that's right. Still getting used to these things   :biggrin:

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Wow.  Seems I've completely blew my wad in the preliminary round.    I'm like the NFL team that goes 4-0 in the preseason and loses their first four games when they count...  Ah well.  Sent.

Offline Tomislav95

Sent something fantastic :azn:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent. Elimination, here I come!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
I'm just looking for interesting music that doesn't fit into the Power / Death / Black Metal genres for the most part :P

I don't consider Colors to have much metalcore in it, it's basically progressive death metal. All is not lost :P
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Right :lol Colors is heavy as shit. Sometimes (read: almost always) it's really impossible to read your tastes, Saculman.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.