1 (7.7%)
Music nerd with German music fetish - Parama
1 (7.7%)
Old man with passion for deathmetal vocals - TAC
2 (15.4%)
Train of Naught
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. THE END.... OR IS IT?  (Read 59632 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. #3 Is an album with a dog
« Reply #1015 on: February 12, 2018, 02:51:59 PM »
I don't know if the Semistereo album would be really your thing, so to speak. Then again, I wasn't sure whether Train would like it as much, but I don't think I'd have been top 2 if he didn't :corn

In 2016 I finished second, so I have good hopes for a win this time around :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1016 on: February 12, 2018, 03:30:47 PM »
I never win anything so I don't expect to win here either

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. #4 Exceeded the weight limit
« Reply #1017 on: February 12, 2018, 04:23:46 PM »
I'm too busy arranging The Hirsch Effekt's stay at MY PLACE that's right :hat I'ma host them next week and seeing them live the next day hype hype

I'll try to get to results but kinda busy today

Really? Wow, that's pretty awesome dude

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1018 on: February 13, 2018, 02:42:26 AM »
Yeah dude, I just happen to live close to the venue of Complexity Fest and they still needed a place to sleep. Looking forward to it

I would have never guessed Cry Wet Smile Dry as your favourite even after you told me that your best was in the middle of my personal ranking. It's one of the least special talking about songwriting, but I still enjoy it a lot. One night at 1.30 AM I woke up my entire family trying to hit the highest note of the chorus  :lol. That one and Sleep All Eyes Open are the closest pair of songs on the album to me and it makes sense that are both your favourites.
I take Jitterbug as my favourite because it's a unique track and I don't know how such a thing has been conceived, but it works.

4 songs in the top 12 is well above my initial expectations, maybe Clammy Lammy and Spell With A Shell will rise the ranking in the future because they are both amazing (Song of a Dead Pest is another one I love, but I get you can be indifferent about it).

It was really a fun roulette, the singing parts registered by yourself in one of the first rounds were cool despite noone has guessed anything and the suspence was high for every elimination (Gentle Giant vs Rush in particular for me). Fogey jokes deserve a special mention too  :lol

I think Spell With a Shell is already highger in the rankings if I revise it now but Come Back Clammy Lammy isn't. I guess for me the enjoyment was less in the special songwriting such as Jitterbug but more in just the catchy hooks that the album is filled with, Cry Wet Smile Dry happened to be the most pleasantly catchy one along with Sleep All Eyes Open.

And yeah I'd love to have more excuses to do those singing games :lol that was a lot of fun to do, but with the obscurity of most bands in this roulette it's just too hard to guess
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1019 on: February 13, 2018, 06:05:51 AM »
From the few reviews I see online Come Back Clammy Lammy is the best or the worst track of the album for some people. I did not even have a strong opinion for some time, but I recently added it to the large group of songs I love

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1020 on: February 13, 2018, 08:59:50 AM »
singing this will be the day that i die

:soon:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1021 on: February 13, 2018, 12:49:49 PM »
Since it's at the point where it can't really influence train's opinion any more I'm curious how each of you would rank the songs on your albums?

Mine:
If or When
Writhe
Self-Inflicted Disguise
Like the Weather
Sunlight == So We Are

Vessel

not that vessel is bad just that it doesn't match up to the rest & doesn't quite fit with the rest of the album but doesn't really bring it down much either

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1022 on: February 13, 2018, 01:14:16 PM »
Something like this I think:

The Search
Sin
A New Tomorrow
35 Dollar Special
Loneliness at the Door
Your Drama
The Storm Behind Your Eyes
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1023 on: February 13, 2018, 03:59:57 PM »
I'm literally going insane over here ngl

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1024 on: February 13, 2018, 04:09:55 PM »
Hey Train, relax and enjoy torturing these dudes.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1025 on: February 13, 2018, 04:12:24 PM »
hey at least I'm not a losing loser like you  :loser:
yet

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1026 on: February 13, 2018, 04:17:57 PM »
Announce it song by song.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1027 on: February 13, 2018, 04:28:20 PM »
Lol Vessel was like the only tolerable song on the Exist album, all the other songs had screaming on them :(

35 Dollar Special? More like 35 Dollar one-way ticket to bad music island

boom roasted
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1028 on: February 13, 2018, 04:32:21 PM »
Lol Vessel was like the only tolerable song on the Exist album, all the other songs had screaming on them :(

35 Dollar Special? More like 35 Dollar one-way ticket to bad music island

boom roasted
I'd be more worried by this comment if I wasn't already in the top 2 but also you're not a fogey yet you like heavier stuff than I do  :loser:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1029 on: February 14, 2018, 11:51:51 AM »
 :(

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1030 on: February 14, 2018, 12:01:57 PM »
Results tomorrowwwwwah and Hypno5e just released a sick toon

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1031 on: February 14, 2018, 12:13:51 PM »
I'm going to die tonight so I guess I'll never find out who won

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1032 on: February 15, 2018, 08:33:06 AM »
 :corn

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1033 on: February 15, 2018, 08:39:54 AM »
lol @ your sig

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1034 on: February 15, 2018, 08:53:28 AM »
i was wondering when someone would notice that

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1035 on: February 15, 2018, 10:17:17 AM »
 :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1036 on: February 15, 2018, 10:31:46 AM »
It's been 3 days

This level of suspense is honestly exhausting I literally barely care & just want train to finally post results so I can move on with my life

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1037 on: February 15, 2018, 10:50:25 AM »
Gonna have to be yet another extra day!  :'( :'( :'( I expected to get home around 4 and get 2 hours to listen to and writeup both albums but i got home just half an hour ago and immediately had to trabel back to Amsterdam.

TL;DCAYL (too long;dont care about your life) no juicy results today, tomorrow is a guarantee though!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1038 on: February 15, 2018, 11:00:59 AM »
Okay can I just cede to elite so we can end this already I really don't care anymore

Again, this is why you do all your writeups in advance dude

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1039 on: February 15, 2018, 11:04:34 AM »
Whatever. It would seem as if its easy to call it off because im so close to finishing, but in reality i just have no time for this stuff in my life right this second. If you cant respect that thats fine

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1040 on: February 15, 2018, 11:07:03 AM »
Trainy, you've gotta embrace my style and keep teasing and failing your players no matter how much it hurts you  :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1041 on: February 15, 2018, 11:30:06 AM »
sorry man I'm just really frustrated with this rn, take your time

sacul where's your results :neverusethis:

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1042 on: February 16, 2018, 06:15:26 AM »
Okay, it's time!!!!!!

Parama: Exist - Sunlight
I thought the East of the Wall comparison sounded a bit ridiculous but after more listens I started kind of feeling that connection between The Apologist and this not musically but more in terms of song writing/structures. This is an album that isn't afraid of departing current themes and delve into a whole new mood to expand the range of styles within a song. If I'm correct, most of the music revolves around a back and forth tossup between blackened progressive metal with and noodley noodley proggy solo sections with laid back rhythm sections.

The first song on the album, "Writhe", also happens to be my favourite on the album. The way they constructed this song is just fantastic, even though I've been impartial to those technical proggy guitar solo sections for a long time and still am a bit. The way the heavy front section ends with that breakdown kind of similar to some Persefone breakdowns I heard, and then uses that same motif to lead the quiet section and then picks up the pace with that sick bassline and builds up to a last climax...... etc.. you get it, I just really like the way this song is puzzled together, it's one of the best of this round for sure. "Self-Inflicted Disguise" moves on to a more bent guitar sound and actually sounds more akin to tech death at times than anything (really, sometimes I have no clue whether to call this black or death metal), but for the sake of ease, let's just call it 'extreme'. On this track once more, the ability to move into an entirely different mood in the matter of a minute is mindboggling, it never even sounds glued together.

Their clean vocals are good, most of the time sounds to me like a combination of The Ocean and VOLA, and I can't help but wonder if I would like the album less or more if they made more use of the clean vocals during the non-metal sections. Given my opinion on "Vessels", I think 'less' is more likely, as that just felt like a complete buzzkill. The album has such a good string of music for more than the first half of the album, and judging by this album, I know these guys are great at balancing their music. Sometimes a ballad at the end of an album works, to give it kind of a feel of redemption. Putting it right in the middle of two songs that have no musical themes in common and just sound completely different in general just sounds weird.

"So We Are..." is another good one. Does not exceed the desirable length, and is the one song that proves the point that Exist can pull off great mixed vocal performances.

Pretty much from beginning to end, this album has some of the best metal I've heard in a while, some of the most interesting song structures, but also a couple grating technical wankery moments that to me were the core detractor for most songs. Some songs gave it a nice flair and made me forget about it for the most part like "Writhe", but some make it stick out like a sore thumb, I found the second half on "Like the Weather" to be a bit annoying. That leading right into "Vessel" was unfortunate since it created an extended string of music on this album that I found to be subpar, instead of 2 separate sections of those. "If or When" has some great moments, especially when it comes to those seemless heavy/soft transitions. I think the clean vocals don't really work as well during the metal moments, but back in that soft section they're really good. I understand why you thought I'd like this, it is definitely one of the most varied and outstanding songs on the record and has a certain factor of catchiness to it that some might say the album lacks (I don't, though).

What kind of disappointed me is that the closer, "Sunlight", is the longest song on the album but also one of the least interesting? I feel like it spends a lot of time uncertain whether it's building up to something and then just ends on a low note with some completely newly introduced female vocals. The jazzy instrumentals on this song however were great and were mostly the reason why this ranked higher than it otherwise would have.

Semistereo - Trans Earth Injection
Feels kind of weird receiving an album from a band that I have seen play a set right after you just this year, in which they very likely played some of these songs, but I remember none of them. I vividly remember not liking his vocals on Alarion though, which is funny because I actually think he fits Semistereo's sound so much better. I mean, he still has kind of an annoying tone to his vocals, that 'whiny' touch, but it also holds some charm for unexplainable reasons. Comparing this to Exist, this album is defninitely less technical, less musically explorative, would even go as far as saying less interesting. BUT, I love dramatic music and this definitely fills that hole for me, the vocals and slightly somber guitar and synth tones more than satisfy that need. Speaking of, I'll move on to the best song of the round, "The Search". This song includes everything I just mentioned, and packages it so nicely. The way that main riff returns at the end and that "I feel broken" line which is both dramatic and super catchy, just amazing. There's many moments like that on the album that, while they don't quite capture the heights of "The Search", are still incredibly good.

Now the most unconventional song is probably "35 Dollar Special", but it is great. At first I thought "What is this song doing on the album? And even moreso, why in the dead middle?" but now it serves as a great slow-burning post-rock tune to change up the fairly straightforward prog metal. And even on itself it is a great tune, and the saxophone complements the climax really well. This is followed by what is quite easily my least favourite song on the album, "The Storm Behind Your Eyes". There is not much I can say to 'justify' not liking it, the chorus is just kind of annoying and in my opinion it brings out the worst aspects of that singer's voice.

"Your Drama" came as kind of a surprise to me, as I hadn't heard anything as heavy from them before. Well, there were some semi-heavy chugging riffs on "The Search", but nothing as 'aggressive' as the opening of this song. Apart from that, it doesn't really stand out in any way.

Then the album closes with "Sin", which reminds me a lot of "The Search", in that it's got a really good catchy chorus, is of equal length and equal song structure, with the end reprising the beginning, and in that they are both very very good songs. I do however, feel that "The Search" would have been a superior album closer.

I cannot say as much about this album as I can with Exist, since it just doesn't have as much to it, it is a more linear album and there's nothing wrong with that. All the way through this is solid, no major clunkers. The only thing that keeps me from 'loving' the album is that the singer has a couple of weak points on the album and musically this isn't anything I've never heard, but it's just really good at what it does.

They were pretty close, but I've made up my mind about the winner a few days ago already. The Exist album is definitely more akin to my kind of heavy music, something trhat makes a lot of sense to send to me. The Semistereo album was obviously more in line with modern progressive metal, dramatic vocals the way I like them and interesting instrumentals that weren't too complex or anything.

I'm giving the edge to Semistereo here, congratulations Elite!

Lonestar = Red
TAC = Orange
LordCost = Purple
Parama = Blue
Elite = Green

1. The Search
2. A Heart, an Eye, and a Womb
3. Sin
4. Writhe
5. Self-Inflicted Disguise
6. Cry Wet Smile Dry
7. Sleep All Eyes Open
8. So We Are...
9. Will Bleed Amen
10. In a Gale of Inferno
11. Signs
12. Revolution Come Undone
13. A Dream Within a Dream
14. Loneliness at the Door
15. Destined to Remember
16. Wind and Rains is Cold
17. Your Drama
18. A New Tomorrow

19. There's Good Cud
20. If or When
21. 35 Dollar Special
22. Hear My Call
23. Jitterbug (junior is a)
24. Whispers of a Ruin
25. Never Like This (A Dream)
26. Horizons
27. Sunlight
28. Eternally Mine
29. Breach of Faith
30. The Sound of Knell
31. Ain't He Messy Though
32. Erasure
33. Coma Back Clammy Lammy
34. Spell with a Shell
35. Like the Weather
36. Mindlessness
37. Temple of the Forsaken
38. The Storm Behind Your Eyes
39. Airways
40. Song of a Dead Pest
41. Hand of a Serth
42. Vessel
43. Clean That Evil Mud Out Your Soul

Best of playlists will be posted here... some day :neverusethis:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. THE END.... OR IS IT?
« Reply #1043 on: February 16, 2018, 06:27:57 AM »
 :o  :o  :o

Wow! Thanks man :)

This really was a fun roulette to be part of, glad to have played, and I'm honestly a little surprised that I won in the end, because this was not my first choice to send in the final round (for those wondering, I had 'The Mantle' by Agalloch put aside for the entire roulette, only to find out Train accidentally left them off the banned list..).

Funny to see my top two songs from the album end up in the top three of this round as well. It certainly is catchy, you'll likely find yourself with both of those songs stuck in your head for the coming days.

Thanks to all the other participants for playing as well. It was fun!
Squ

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1044 on: February 16, 2018, 06:50:56 AM »
Congrats! :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. #4 Exceeded the weight limit
« Reply #1045 on: February 16, 2018, 07:59:39 AM »
congrats elite

and obviously I don't disagree about vessel, though it starts seeming less out of place after a billion listens but it's still a total momentum killer
mostly just wondering why like the weather is so low compared to most of the rest :P

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1046 on: February 16, 2018, 08:01:21 AM »
Congrats Elite, I'm passing the crown to you  ;D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1047 on: February 16, 2018, 08:13:23 AM »
The wanky guitar section in the second half of Like the Weather just kind of destroyed the mood for me. It's still not to a point where I didn't like the song, just less than most this round

Funny to see my top two songs from the album end up in the top three of this round as well. It certainly is catchy, you'll likely find yourself with both of those songs stuck in your head for the coming days.
They have been for over a week :azn:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1048 on: February 16, 2018, 09:06:13 AM »
that's like my favorite solo break on the entire album  :lol
but fair

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1049 on: February 16, 2018, 09:44:55 AM »
Two wins in a row, talk about being on a roll. Congrats bro!!