1 (7.7%)
Music nerd with German music fetish - Parama
1 (7.7%)
Old man with passion for deathmetal vocals - TAC
2 (15.4%)
Train of Naught
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. THE END.... OR IS IT?  (Read 56568 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. ROUND 5 UNDERWAY
« Reply #560 on: January 12, 2018, 04:52:27 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure about 7/8, cause in this particular round, mediocrity definitely wouldn't win

I'll get home soon, think I'll do one more writeup before going to bed. Prepare yourselves :cow:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #561 on: January 12, 2018, 04:54:55 PM »
No, I’m going to bed now. I’ll prepare myself some other time.

Oh wait, I’m already in next round! :neverusethis:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #562 on: January 13, 2018, 02:53:04 AM »
Coming in at the #3 spot, just barely edging out Elite's song, here's probably the second heaviest song of the round. :lol I swear I'm not biased towards heaviness cause the top 2 are a fair bit less heavy. This may not have fully lived up to the hype and the fact that the second half is so good leaves a bit to be desired for during those first 6-7 or so minutes. Some serious versatility here for a band I thought to be pretty formulaic, that mellow and uplifting repeating line at the end caught me completely offguard but it was really beautiful, I could totally see why people love this. The vocals in the intro on another song I got in my first roulette were pretty repulsive and I'm glad to note they don't do growls that extreme here, the more natural sounding harsh vocals are really good. I'm not sure if I'm a very big fan of the saxophone bandwagon that all of metal seems to be jumping on, but the sax here is very seemlessly merged into the track so it doesn't really detract from the song.

If you know this song and have been reading the writeup, it should be pretty clear that it is Hiindsiight by Enslaved, sent by Parama!

1. ???
2. ???
3. Enslaved - Hiindsiight
4. maudlin of the Well - They Aren't All Beautiful
5. ???
5. Aereogramme - Dreams and Bridges
5. ???
8. ???

There's a chance I'll finish the round by the end of the day, if nothing unexpected comes up. The way I'm gonna break it up this time is do the top 2 next at the same time, and the other 3 also in 1 post.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 03:05:55 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #563 on: January 13, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »
Time to announce the winner and runner-up!! The winner ended up being a fair bit better than the runner-up but they're still both amazing and I'm probably gonna check out both albums as soon as possible.

So this round's winner was between twosuitsluke and home, both sending me recent discoveries of theirs. One is more rhythmically oriented in the direction of more recent Leprous material, with vaguely similar vocals (though not too much) and catchy melodies. It is a song that I would never really say is out of this world, but it is just so consistently great and spotless, the replay value on this one was huge, and therefore probably the song I was looking forward to the most in this round. The other had a more somber feel to it and was a little more versatile, swinging from our newly-established genre in the plug.dj room called 'Dear Hunter music', to a post-rock middle section and a very strong, more Manchester Orchestra meets Arcane Roots kinda vibe to it (I have no clue how I come up with these comparisons). That one line 'please pull me under for one more embrace' is so beautiful, it's pretty much been perpetually stuck in my head the last week. Going back to luke's song, it is definitely more on the forefront, very strong/dominant vocals rather than the more atmospheric/haunting ones from home's song. What made one song edge out the other by a fair margin was just that it had more layers to it, and was overall a more rewarding listen.

Both fantastic tunes, but if it wasn't clear from the writeup already, home wins this one and I think thats his 3rd win already. :omg: This means you're both through to the instrumental round, and the time limit is still 12 minutes in case you changed your mind and willing to send something longer this time.

1. OWEL - Float
2. Port Noir - Black from the Ink
3. Enslaved - Hiindsiight
4. maudlin of the Well - They Aren't All Beautiful
5. Aereogramme - Dreams and Bridges
5. ???
5. ???
8. ???

I feel pretty bad letting the other two #5's (actually one of them is looking to surpass Aereogramme so it would be the only #5 and the other two would be shared #6) wait in suspense because as I said, they shouldn't have a worry in the world, I enjoy both a lot more than the #8. But of course I can't reveal anything yet because that would ruin the whole purpose of this elimination thing. You shall suffer for max 1 more day, but probably just for about 4-5 more hours.

Oh yeah so these are the remaining songs:

* Lör - Eidolon
* Sunny Day Real Estate - Seven
* Kingcrow - In Crescendo

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #564 on: January 13, 2018, 09:35:12 AM »
Uh oh...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #565 on: January 13, 2018, 09:40:26 AM »
well i wasn't eliminated so w/e

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #567 on: January 13, 2018, 10:53:34 AM »
honestly my money is on sunny day real estate going out because i could see train being turned off by the vocals, but what do i know

Offline LordCost

« Reply #568 on: January 13, 2018, 11:23:00 AM »
I bet on Kingcrow instead

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #569 on: January 13, 2018, 11:26:51 AM »
honestly my money is on sunny day real estate going out because i could see train being turned off by the vocals, but what do i know

You mean the cheesy power metal (which it ain’t) might make it?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. R5 RESULTS / SEND INSTRUMENTAL
« Reply #570 on: January 13, 2018, 01:24:03 PM »
Alright fuck it, time to put one of you out of your misery, it has to be done. :sadpanda:

So here we have two progmetal giants battling against an emo/alt rock song. Needless to say, I'm more familiar with the former, but I consider some Brand New material to be emo and really good at the same time too. So I'm gonna break these all down 1 by 1:

lonestar, the length worried me. As I said I'm familiar with the Eidos opener "The Moth", it's catchy with a very intense chorus, versatile but at the same time very concise and easy to digest. The main riff in this reminded me a lot of Prophets of War, curious if that's a common though cause it really does sound similar. And I guess I'm one of the few who really likes Prophets of War so that's a good thing. :lol The only thing I thought was a bit grating at the start was that piano passage but it's grown on me. I can't stress how much I dig emotional vocals and these definitely make the cut in that regard. It did not nearly have as much going on as the other prog giant this round though, that song was all over the place and this one in comparison was pretty tame.

Tomislav, the only time I ever heard of this band was in a Southpark band where they were discarded by the goth kids as 'that band all the emo kids listen to', no other preconceived notions here. It was a fair bit heavier than I expected but the vocals were more on the tame side compared to what I've come to expect from emo. The chorus never really clicked with me and apart from that nothing in this song really made up for that, since most was just 'solid' and nothing outstanding. In some rounds it would have perhaps made it through but this round was pure quality and therefore Seven kind of stuck out like a sore thumb to me. 

TAC, let me clarify someone to everyone here. This is not a powermetal song, not even close. :lol The symphonic elements in the intro are okay but I'm glad they kept it on the down low because I'm not a huge fan of overly symphonic stuff in metal. The lead guitar in the intro frankly reminds me a lot of Queen and BTBAM, that kind of dark theatric sound. As I said in the previous paragraph, this song has a lot going on, it's all over the place, and whether that's a good thing or bad thing just depends on how everything stuck with me. Instrumentals overall were really good, I loved the constant tempo switches. Vocals weren't bad but not astoundingly good either. Bass, fucking sick. They have that signature Korn bass sound that I love, really low and chugging. Then there's that one riff that recurs and first shows up I think around 4:20. Near the end kind of threw me off with that really fast guitarbattle-like solo section, I don't like that overly shreddy stuff. They picked up the quality after that again though, no biggie. For the most part, top notch tune.

Only fucked with the order so the people that made it through would maybe misinterpret it and be in suspense for just a little bit longer. The person who is eliminated will probably have figured it out at this point though, the writeup made it pretty apparent.

Lonestar, I will probably never forgive you for kicking out The Lantern by Slice the Cake, but your song was unfortunately too damn good to get my revenge just yet.

Tomislav, this was sadly a miss, I enjoyed some parts of your song, but barely. It was a pretty big step down from all the others and that means the throne for Train roulette champion has been opened up. :(

TAC, your song ended up edging out LoCo's for #5, there never really was a chance of it being bottom 2 even. Next round is instrumental, so no need to worry about clean/harsh vocals at the moment. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #571 on: January 13, 2018, 01:28:52 PM »
rip in power metal
i'm gonna get cut next round because i sent a shorter song  :corn

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #572 on: January 13, 2018, 01:36:11 PM »
 :'(
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #573 on: January 13, 2018, 01:36:50 PM »
the throne for Train roulette champion has been opened up. :(

last time's runner-up here, ready to take it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #574 on: January 13, 2018, 02:50:20 PM »
Awesome!! :metal
Power Metal Rules!! (Especially the cheesy kind)

Will send tonight!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #575 on: January 13, 2018, 06:32:57 PM »
And the fogies hang on for another round!!!! Sweet, been itching to send this one since I saw the 12 minute instrumental round, most of the others I've played in have had too short of a time limit to send this ten minute monster....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #576 on: January 13, 2018, 06:54:44 PM »
And the fogies hang on for another round!!!!

Train: "It's an instrumental round."

TAC: "Jingle Boy is a clown?"
Lonestar: "She has a hairy mound?"

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #577 on: January 14, 2018, 05:44:34 AM »
 :lol :lol

And the fogies hang on for another round!!!! Sweet, been itching to send this one since I saw the 12 minute instrumental round, most of the others I've played in have had too short of a time limit to send this ten minute monster....
I think the spotify link is to the full album so I'm kinda confused, I'm just gonna assume it's the song you mentioned in the PM, but seeing as that one is 8:30 this comment kinda threw me off, can you confirm?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #578 on: January 14, 2018, 06:50:18 AM »
He's always exaggerating his length.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #579 on: January 14, 2018, 08:06:08 AM »
:rollin

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #580 on: January 14, 2018, 09:03:38 AM »
swinging from our newly-established genre in the plug.dj room called 'Dear Hunter music', to a post-rock middle section and a very strong, more Manchester Orchestra meets Arcane Roots kinda vibe to it (I have no clue how I come up with these comparisons).
Seems like I should join the plug.dj room again sometime soon then, that genre sounds right up my alley! Speaking about it, their newest song is by far their most obvious TDH inspired song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq1maKL374Q
The couplets especially remind me a lot of the church and the dime.

I'll find a song tomorrow, most of the instrumental music I listen to is post-rock and you already know my favourite post-rock bands, but I'm sure I have some more songs saved on Spotify.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #581 on: January 14, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »

TAC- 1
Me- 0

Yeah man, that's the one. Typed the comment before checking the song length.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #582 on: January 14, 2018, 12:07:11 PM »
:lol I think TAC has established himself as the class clown of the Train Roulette III at this point

Speaking about it, their newest song is by far their most obvious TDH inspired song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq1maKL374Q
The couplets especially remind me a lot of the church and the dime.

I'll find a song tomorrow, most of the instrumental music I listen to is post-rock and you already know my favourite post-rock bands, but I'm sure I have some more songs saved on Spotify.
Wow, I do hear that Church and the Dime comparison, cool. Really good song, are they releasing an album this year?

Post-rock is also my go-to instrumental music, yeah, though that ASIWYFA song you sent parama when I was secondary judging didn't really grab me

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #583 on: January 14, 2018, 12:37:29 PM »
Post-rock is also my go-to instrumental music, 

Now you tell us??
Wait, what is Post-rock?

Pretty sure I didn't send Post-rock.. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #584 on: January 14, 2018, 12:45:06 PM »
Well, it's more like if I need to study or do something that requires focus I want something inoffensive/non-distracting playing, so I usually go with post-rock.

It's very atmosphere-oriented rock music, usually enhanced with tons of guitar pedals to create various soundscapes, and usually at least two guitars for multi-layered riffs. Agneya by God Is An Astronaut which I sent you borders metal but for the most part is considered post-rock. Here's an example of a song that points at all the post-rock sounds and cliches (though not instrumental) and also one of my favourites by this particular band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5tNHYjx2bQ

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #585 on: January 14, 2018, 12:56:43 PM »
Hhmm...OK. I think I have one Post Rock-ish album Saved on Spotify. How do you feel about female vocals on your Post Rock?

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #586 on: January 14, 2018, 02:19:51 PM »
Sent that band I very nearly sent in the first round.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #587 on: January 15, 2018, 12:51:17 AM »
Hhmm...OK. I think I have one Post Rock-ish album Saved on Spotify. How do you feel about female vocals on your Post Rock?
Not sure I've heard any before, and if I have, I don't really remember. Can't help you with this one

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #588 on: January 15, 2018, 07:12:58 AM »
Train, I have a question. Not that I expect to get there, but the last round is a CD round. Do you want one band's CD, or do you want us to make a Mix CD for you?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #589 on: January 15, 2018, 07:53:08 AM »
I've answered this in PM/FB chat before but wasn't aware it was so vague so I'll say it once more here as well :lol it's just an album round like every round in ariich's roulette, meaning no own mixes, just an album the way it has been released. Length restrictions I believe were 80 minutes (no minimum) but that's in the OP. I'll edit this post later if it turns out it was different.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #590 on: January 15, 2018, 07:56:27 AM »
OK Great. What is PM/FB? I missed it.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #591 on: January 15, 2018, 07:59:17 AM »
Hahahaha sorry :lol that's Private Message (DTF messages) and Facebook chat. I wasn't sure because some of the participants I have added on Facebook as well so I communicate through there sometimes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #592 on: January 15, 2018, 08:00:59 AM »
What's Facebook?  ;D

I'm not on it.
DTF is my Facebook.

Besides, I figured no one expected TAC to be anywhere near the final round, so why include him in the conversation.. :lol
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:06:48 AM by TAC »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #593 on: January 15, 2018, 11:39:23 AM »
It's not a group conversation or anything :lol just 3 of the participants either occasionally or always use it to send me songs and give descriptions instead of DTF, and one of them happened to ask me about the final round too.

I'm starting my first listen now, and since I got all songs now we can do hangmanen again!

___ _______ _______ - _______
_______ - ______ __ _____ - ____ __: ________ _______
______ _______ - ________'_ ____
____ ____ - ___ ______ ___ ___ _____ ____ _____ ______ __ _ ___ ______?
__________ _______ ______ - _________
______ - ________
___ ___ _______ - ____________

:2metal: :2metal: :2metal:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. ROUND 6 UNDERWAY
« Reply #594 on: January 15, 2018, 11:48:35 AM »
lol @ the super long song name  :lol

I
Want
The

a