Author Topic: Myles Kennedy Solo Record - Year Of The Tiger  (Read 10068 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Myles Kennedy Solo Record - Year Of The Tiger
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2018, 07:36:45 PM »
I can dig this. By coincidence, I've been getting into alt country like Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson as of late. Not minding the country vibe at all.
Hell yes. Stapleton, Simpson, Jason Isbell, Turnpike Troubadours, and the like are all artists that I've really gotten into over the past couple years. Hearing Myles drift in that direction (while still not being nearly as country as any of those guys) is right up my alley.

I realized his Nashville show was on a Saturday, so I grabbed a ticket last night. Can't turn down a $20 to see someone as awesome as Myles, even if it is a long ass drive for me.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2018, 07:49:30 PM »
I'm seeing him in LA at the Troubadour on a Sunday.  It's like if AB is playing in a venue in LA or Anaheim, and I don't have any big life-changing plans (such as moving to another county the day after the concert), I'm going to see them at any price on any day no matter what.

The fact that this show is on a Sunday (I can always take Monday off, no problem, for rest.  I saved some vacation hours just for these occasions) and the fact that the tickets were only $25 fees included.  It's a must-go.  I'll try to weather the LA afternoon traffic (probably take around 75 minutes from Anaheim to LA with decent traffic) for a show like this.  I'll already missed AB last year due to moving.  I'm not missing this show at all.  Myles on an acoustic guitar for a full concert incorporating AB tracks, Mayfield Four, stuff he did with Slash, and his solo album (which I'm really digging the three songs so far) and a few covers of his choice.  It's pure bliss.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2018, 10:38:51 PM »
Sure, one more song is released a week before the album is out.  Love Can Only Heal.

This was the only song that Myles decided to retain from his first unreleased solo album before he shelved the album altogether.  This was a pretty powerful sounding track in how its structured and letting the song keep building itself up.  The ending of it had that big ending vibe that AB can and have done. 

Well, four songs is out before the album is out, and I like all four of them in its own unique way, so this should bode well for the rest of the album.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2018, 05:25:57 AM »
I can dig this. By coincidence, I've been getting into alt country like Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson as of late. Not minding the country vibe at all.

I say this positively, and with the knowledge that you're looking at just the tip of the iceberg, but if you're into Stapleton and Simpson, you have a nice little list of things to check out:  The Allman Brothers.  Waylon Jennings.   Kris Kristofferson.  Hank, Jr.    Even Willie Nelson (though I know his voice is polarizing).  I get it, Stapleton is talented, but I watch people falling all over him and I think "Fucking Gregg Allman wants his gig back".   There is really nothing that new about the new wave, it's just in stark contrast to the bro-stuff that's out there. 

I consider "CHris Stapleton" to be the "Lady Gaga" of country; yeah, talented, yeah, something to offer, but all been done before and just as good (The Allmans; Madonna). 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2018, 09:57:42 AM »
Myles did his first show of the solo tour last night. The set is a cool mix of solo stuff, AB, Slash, Mayfield Four, and covers.

Devil on the Wall (solo song)
Standing in the Sun (Slash song)
Before Tomorrow Comes (AB song)
All Ends Well (AB song)
Addicted to Pain (AB song)
Life Must Go On (AB song)
Rise Today (AB song)
Starlight (Slash song)
Open Your Eyes (AB song)
Traveling Riverside Blues (cover)
Year of the Tiger (solo song)
Eden (Mayfield Four song)
Levon (cover)
Haunted By Design (solo song)
Watch Over You (AB song)
Mars Hotel (Mayfield Four song)
Going to California (cover)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2018, 10:00:22 AM »
I feel like it's a little odd that he didn't play more solo songs. Definitely a cool setlist though.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2018, 10:13:33 AM »
I feel like it's a little odd that he didn't play more solo songs. Definitely a cool setlist though.

Yeah, I'm hoping he adds more solo songs in, technically the record doesn't come out till Friday, so maybe he'll add more songs from the record to the set after it's out.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2018, 10:13:59 AM »
Man I would love to see this show.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2018, 10:28:17 AM »

Am I the only one that doesn't give a fuck?  :rollin I'd go see him do a 2 hour set of Blink 182 songs!

Online Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2018, 10:36:59 AM »
I will be happy regardless when I see him in May. However, I was really hoping for less AB, and more Mayfield Four and solo material. Fingers crossed that come May, we'll get just that.  :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2018, 11:35:04 AM »
For some reason, I don't think that setlist is complete.  I know the order is not right, since there was a video of him going from the Elton John cover of Levon to Open Your Eyes.  Also, in all the few non-radio solo sets he's done, he always played Hallelujah, but it was not on setlist.fm.  I wonder if he did play it?

Still, him playing Life Must go On, All Ends Well, the Mayfield Four songs, and Led Zeppelin's Going to California are great adds.  Also, I think the reason why it is still AB-heavy and not too much solo stuff is because the Year of the Tiger album is not out yet, and that this was the first time he played a set in South Africa (with the exception of the Kings of Chaos appearances he did in 2013), and AB haven't played a show there yet.  I mean if the set is still AB-heavy and not more solo songs by the time he plays in Europe and the states, then there may be a problem.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2018, 12:34:32 PM »
^ Yeah it might be incomplete, I just pulled it from setlist.fm so I have no clue.

It is 17 songs though, so that might be everything.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2018, 05:00:13 PM »
Man....Love Can Only Heal moved me to tears

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2018, 06:58:30 AM »

Yeah, by far my favorite of the singles he has released. It's the type of song I pictured when I thought Myles Kennedy solo project.

It just builds and builds and builds - layer after layer and then he climaxes with a lap steel solo? Yes, absolutely. Love it.

For those who haven't heard it yet -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUxZNFkmbOE

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2018, 09:41:11 AM »

Yeah, by far my favorite of the singles he has released. It's the type of song I pictured when I thought Myles Kennedy solo project.

It just builds and builds and builds - layer after layer and then he climaxes with a lap steel solo? Yes, absolutely. Love it.

For those who haven't heard it yet -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUxZNFkmbOE

Holding. Out. I've only heard Year of the Tiger a couple of times. Refused to listen until release day. Tomorrow I head over to Best Buy to get the exclusive version...and my wife has a bundle pre-ordered that hopefully will get here this weekend.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2018, 09:52:07 AM »
 :lol Sorry didn't mean to tempt you!

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2018, 09:53:18 AM »
:lol Sorry didn't mean to tempt you!

:lol

No worries at all. I'm good. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2018, 10:06:49 PM »
I was fortunate enough to have a full listen of this record.

It.

Is.

AMAZING.

Seriously great variety and that Myles touch to everything. It's such a great album and I'm not even much into the whole Americana vibe.

Don't want to say much more than that, but I will say that "The Great Beyond" is stupid good. It might be the darkest song on the record - probably the heaviest too (no electric, don't worry) - and boy is it captivating.

Ugggh he's so talented!
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2018, 06:53:14 AM »
^ Sweet!

Listening the record now!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2018, 07:00:29 AM »
I was fortunate enough to have a full listen of this record.

It.

Is.

AMAZING.

Seriously great variety and that Myles touch to everything. It's such a great album and I'm not even much into the whole Americana vibe.

Don't want to say much more than that, but I will say that "The Great Beyond" is stupid good. It might be the darkest song on the record - probably the heaviest too (no electric, don't worry) - and boy is it captivating.

Ugggh he's so talented!

Agreed on the Great Beyond. When it first started I was like What the Hell, but then that chorus hit and my mind exploded.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2018, 08:17:14 AM »
Listened to the record once all the way through, really liking it a lot! Definitely will take some time to sink in, but overall I really like what Myles has accomplished here.

Overall thoughts -

- The singles will probably end up not being highlight songs for me.
- The Great Beyond has the most epic feel to it, very dark, and very good. That said, I'm glad Myles stayed away from doing the "epic" feeling song for the rest of the album.
- LOVE the acoustic guitar groove in Blind Faith.
- Mother is a standout lyrically for me, truly heartfelt stuff there.
- Nothing But A Name gave me chills, lyrically it was probably the most impactful song after only one listen through.
- One Fine Day is a great way to finish the record, once again, really love the lyrics and the acoustic guitar groove.
- Great instrumentation throughout the whole record. Very cool LZIII style layering of acoustic guitar, slide, lap steel, clean electric slide stuff, banjo, etc...
- Lyrically, my first impression is strong and that the subject matter pushed Myles to go a little outside his lyrical comfort zone.

Awesome first impression, looking forward to listening more and finding more detail and getting more familiar with the songs.

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2018, 08:43:20 AM »
Three hours and I shall be leaving to buy it!

Edit:

So the first couple of spins. Really enjoyed it. I knew what it was going in, so no surprise there. I think this was a real gutsy album to make for Myles. Not only does he get completely personal, but it is such a departure musically from what he is generally now known for. I like it. Love Can Only Heal and Blind Faith stood out to me immediately.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:03:15 PM by Samsara »

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2018, 08:23:14 PM »
After one listen, I really liked the album. Will definitely be listening more over the weekend. I do hope that when I see him in May, there's more solo material than there is in that setlist earlier in the thread.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2018, 06:46:57 AM »
My first listen was also very positive, though I wasn't able to pay complete attention to it since I was working. Can't wait to give it a proper listen.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2018, 06:45:51 PM »
Yeah, first listen is catching my attention pretty well. So far I really like it.

The Great Beyond  :metal
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2018, 07:12:39 AM »
Wow; this is really clicking.   I know it's early, but this is the album to beat for "Album of the Year" for me so far.

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »
TOUR SPOILERS BELOW

Looks like Myles is incorporating more Mayfield Four tunes. Mars Hotel and Don't Walk Away have entered the set.  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2018, 01:41:36 PM »
Yeah I saw a video of Don’t Walk Away and it’s beautiful, I love that song.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2018, 10:51:34 PM »
Oh yes, this album is hitting all the right spots for me. I love blues and bluegrass. Heck, I even appreciate certain types of country. He really shows his versatility, and the array of different instruments in his songwriting help make this album stellar. I haven't stop listening to this, and every day since I received the album, I've had a different song stuck in my head. Yesterday was Songbird. Today is Turning Stones. Great driving music too.

I'm with Stadler. Easily album of the year for me, and it's going to be hard for anything to beat it. Even the upcoming Tremonti record.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2018, 10:57:42 PM »
I haven't been able to stop listening to this record. I'll listen to other music, but wanting to go back.

My top songs are

Love Can Only Heal
Mother
Ghost of Shangri La
One Fine Day
Turning Stones
Haunted By Design

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2018, 11:03:08 PM »
It's still up there.   Really has legs. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2018, 06:32:00 AM »
Yeah it's holding up really well for me as well. Love Can Only Heal and Nothing But a Name have literally wrecked me multiple times  :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2018, 07:57:33 PM »
For those in Europe that cares, Myles has announced a second round of solo shows in Europe.  10 of those will be with a full backing band while the others will be by himself.  I wonder whose in the backing band.  With the group of rhythm guys he's played with, whether it is from AB, Slash's backing band, or the guys that did bass and drums for Year of the Tiger, the answer may not be as clear and obvious.  Anywho, here are the dates below.

Also, less than two weeks from the Troubadour show in LA!  I can't wait!!!  The setlists look pretty good.  Sure, some are AB heavy, but he's brought some songs that AB either rarely or never have played like Life Must Go On, All Ends Well, Losing Patience, You Will be Remembered, etc. and from the clips I've seen, they sounded good and had good crowd response.  He may have went a bit and overdone it by incorporating Cry of Achilles of all songs from his catalog to do, but it still sounded great acoustically.  He also brought an acoustic cover of The Trooper.

I'm still hoping for more different songs from Year of the Tiger.  5 is ok, and it includes Love can Only Heal, but I want to see more like Mother, Songbird, Ghost of Shangri La, etc. and more songs from Mayfield Four, and more obscurer AB songs and more covers I didn't expect him to do.  Man, blessed this guy, Myles Kennedy.  The possibilities are endless and he can pull them all off with an acoustic guitar.

I'M PUMPED!!!!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2018, 09:46:02 AM »
Great to see more tour dates, especially with a full band. So he hasn't announced who the band is then?

I'd guess Tim on bass and Z on drums, just like the record.

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2018, 08:27:41 AM »
Got to see the show over the weekend. What a blast. The venue was not announced as a sell out, but it was pretty damn close. Myles...man, there's a reason this guy is my favorite singer these days. What an incredible voice and humbleness about the guy.

The setlist on setlist.fm is predictably wrong. But not by much. Here was what he played (SPOILERS BELOW):

Devil on the Wall
Standing in the Sun (Slash feat. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators cover)
Before Tomorrow Comes (Alter Bridge song)
Mars Hotel (The Mayfield Four cover)
Addicted to Pain (Alter Bridge song)
Starlight (Slash cover)
Haunted by Design
Levon (Elton John cover)
Blind Faith
Songbird
Love Will Only Heal
The Trooper (Iron Maiden cover)
All Ends Well (Alter Bridge song)
Traveling Riverside Blues (Robert Johnson cover)
World on Fire (Slash feat. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators cover)
Watch Over You (Alter Bridge song)
Year of the Tiger

Encore:
Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen cover)
Rise Today (Alter Bridge song)

>>>>The order of that isn't right, but those were the songs he played. It clocked it at almost a full two hours. Here are some selected songs from the show (Mars Hotel, All Ends Well, The Trooper, Love Can Only Heal, and Hallelujah):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP6E30jbtx0&list=PLJI-MjWF9aD8IWEKoxzfuKamoAlPpZxI1

It was a great night, and man, what a voice. Check out the 4:18 mark of Love Can Only Heal. Myles ended up giving my daughter a pick, and Tim, his tech and guitarist (he comes on twice to play), gave her a setlist. The funny thing was, the setlist was completely wrong, as Myles types one out, but then just plays what he's feeling and what the audience wants to hear. So each show is apparently pretty varied. It was such a great time, and nice to have my whole family together for something like this.

The songs from Year of the Tiger really have nice energy live, and man, Love Can Only Heal...that song is the real deal. I'm a big fan of The Mayfield Four album called Second Skin, and was really happy Myles did "Mars Hotel." He had been doing three Mayfield songs from that record at shows, but we only got one this time. (He was playing Mars Hotel, Eden, and White Flag at certain shows) One he hadn't played on tour was a personal favorite from that Second Skin record, "Summergirl." I asked him to play it, and he tinkered with the idea for a second or two, and then said, "well, this isn't Summergirl, but it's melancholy just like it," and proceeded to play Love Can Only Heal. It wasn't on the setlist for the show that my daughter got, so I was thrilled he did it, as like many, it is my favorite tune from his solo album. And if you watch the video, you'll see it worked out just fine. (Just incredible.)

The opening band, Thomas Wynn and the Believers, was great. It was just the two singers of the band (Thomas and his sister Olivia), with Thomas also playing the guitar. They were outstanding. Great voices, Olivia in particular. If you like a little southern flavor in your rock, check them out.

Anyway, such a great performance and concert, and I was so happy we could make it. If you can make one of these, I really encourage you to go.