Author Topic: When the backing vocalists are better than the lead vocalist  (Read 2710 times)

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: When the backing vocalists are better than the lead vocalist
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2022, 04:02:07 PM »
It's worth noting that often times people with atypical voices sound great singing backup. When your goal is to contrast/compliment somebody else you've got a decided edge. People like John Sykes are a good example of that. A better one would be Linday Buckingham. Not a great singer on his own, but wonderful singing backup. I don't know as DeGarmo or Sambora would have been very good on their own, but behind behind Tate or Bon Jovi made everybody involved better. Backing vocals just add a nice quality.

I've seen that play out with a lot of the old fart bands I've seen. The lead singer will do his thing right up to the chorus, and then he'll switch off with one of the hired guns and sing the less challenging harmony part. With three people singing it'll largely go unnoticed and people think the main guy still has it. Layered vocals cover a multitude of sins.

I think that's one of the underrated tricks of good harmony vocals, finding contrasting voices that blend well.  It can be a challenge when the main vocalist tries to do all the leads and harmonies alone in-studio.  Even if they try and alter their voice for some parts, it's still all coming from the same set of vocal chords, so it can sound smaller than a good group of varied voices.  That's why it's fascinating how some vocalists can create such huge vocal sounds all by themselves in the studio. 

I don't like that trick of having the the backup singer take the chorus melody live.  I understand why it's logistically tempting to do, and I'm sure there are times it can work, particularly if they have similar voices, but I've seen songs completely ruined because now the prominent line I'm hearing is an unusual harmony line, and the iconic chorus is coming from an unfamiliar voice. 

Online HOF

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2022, 04:30:59 PM »
PG,

Chris DeGarmo is an amazing singer. his voice is thinner than Tate's, and in general, not as captivating as a lead vocal. HOWEVER, DeGarmo, live, hits all those high notes above Tate. Which...think about that. With Tate as the main singer, DeGarmo is doing the high harmony. It's actually one of the missing elements of the band that no one (but seemingly me) talks about.

And Eddie sometimes went higher than Chris, the end of Another Rainy Night being the prime example there. With the backing vocals on Empire especially, the standard way they did them was to have Geoff sing the low notes because he had the range, and then Chris, and then Eddie.  I can't think of an instance where Chris and/or Eddie sang a harmony vocal lower than Tate. I think Eddie did a decent job of picking up the slack after Chris left, but you're right, it wasn't the same.

Chris Squire is another who falls into this group.  He never could have been the lead singer, but his harmony vocals MADE those Yes shows in the '70s and '80s.

It may be a studio thing mostly, but Squire sounded great singing lead vocals on Fish Out of Water.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2022, 05:03:22 PM »
This past weekend, I had the pleasure of seeing Sevendust perform back-to-back livestream broadcasts of two of their albums—Seasons and Home. All five band members sing, but it is lead vocalist Lajon Witherspoon and guitarist Clint Lowery who do the harmonies. The performance of Seasons was simply a master class in harmony singing by Lowery, particularly the song “Burned Out,” which spurred the idea for this blog.

It's always annoyed me seeing people lump Sevendust in as yet another talentless nu-metal band.  Some people at least grudgingly admit Lajon is a good vocalist, but it's less recognized that Clint is a pretty good secondary lead, Morgan adds energy with his exclamations, and their harmonies are uncommonly good for a band that heavy.  00s Mercenary is one of the few bands heavier than them with an even better vocal attack for duel leads and four-member harmonies. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2022, 05:22:56 PM »
Sinead O'Connor doing backing vocals in Gabriel's Come Talk to Me immediately comes to mind.

Anyone doing backing vocals for Peter Gabriel qualifies.

Get the hell out of here with that!

Secret World Live has entered the chat.

Can't remember her name, but she did a great job as well on it. That video will never not make me tear up.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2022, 05:56:06 PM »
Paula Cole.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2022, 06:21:48 PM »
Yep. Secret World Live is easily one of my top 3 favorite concert DVDs/Blu-rays ever. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2022, 06:27:58 PM »
I'm lost.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2022, 06:28:34 PM »
I'm lost.

That would be your permanent status if you knew was Facebook was and had an account.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2022, 06:40:15 PM »
Just watch it. It's awesome. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2022, 06:42:30 PM »
Oh, and Richie Sambora for pretty much the entirety of Jon Bon Jovi's career.

Oh I don't know about that. Richie's voice was a great compliment and contrast to JBJ's, but there's no way Richie could've carried a band as a lead vocalist. He didn't have half of the character in his voice as JBJ did.

Online HOF

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2022, 06:44:41 PM »
I'm lost.

Let me help you.

https://youtu.be/zQ4zYSUJg8c

I know we’re talking about Paula Cole here, but Manu Katche is such a monster on this song.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2022, 06:45:32 PM »
I'm lost.

Let me help you.

I know we’re talking about Paula Cole here, but Manu Katche is such a monster on this song.

For sure.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2022, 09:42:55 AM »
PG,

Chris DeGarmo is an amazing singer. his voice is thinner than Tate's, and in general, not as captivating as a lead vocal. HOWEVER, DeGarmo, live, hits all those high notes above Tate. Which...think about that. With Tate as the main singer, DeGarmo is doing the high harmony. It's actually one of the missing elements of the band that no one (but seemingly me) talks about.

And Eddie sometimes went higher than Chris, the end of Another Rainy Night being the prime example there. With the backing vocals on Empire especially, the standard way they did them was to have Geoff sing the low notes because he had the range, and then Chris, and then Eddie.  I can't think of an instance where Chris and/or Eddie sang a harmony vocal lower than Tate. I think Eddie did a decent job of picking up the slack after Chris left, but you're right, it wasn't the same.

Chris Squire is another who falls into this group.  He never could have been the lead singer, but his harmony vocals MADE those Yes shows in the '70s and '80s.

It may be a studio thing mostly, but Squire sounded great singing lead vocals on Fish Out of Water.

I don't disagree, but I don't think he could have been a full-time lead singer.

I'm lost.

Let me help you.

I kept waiting for her to break into the Dawson's Creek theme song.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2022, 10:01:06 AM »
I saw her life.  Her voice is powerful.  And yeah, that song is overplayed.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2022, 12:17:31 PM »
She is god-tier on Secret World Live.  Unfortunately, her solo material was like the worst coffeehouse hippie pablum.  Talk about disappointment.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2022, 12:38:36 PM »
First one I thought of.

Warren Haynes in the Allman Brothers.
Second one I thought of.

Oh I don't know about that. Richie's voice was a great compliment and contrast to JBJ's, but there's no way Richie could've carried a band as a lead vocalist. He didn't have half of the character in his voice as JBJ did.
I don't think that's the metric we're going for, unless I'm completely misunderstanding.  I don't think projecting what someone could have done is the point, just which one is a better singer, and Sambora is now and always was a better singer than Jon Bon Jovi.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2022, 11:21:20 PM »
Richie Kotzen's background vocals stuck out like a sore thumb on Poison's Native Tongue. He was clearly a better singer than Bret Michaels although I still liked Bret's vocals, regardless.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2022, 03:57:14 AM »
I wouldn't say better, because James Hetfield is a god, but damn I loved Jason Newsted's back up vocals.

At times Metallica almost sounded like a death metal band!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2022, 03:58:54 AM »
I wouldn't say better, because James Hetfield is a god, but damn I loved Jason Newsted's back up vocals.

He added such an extra dynamic with his vocals in a live setting.  Great contrast to James too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2022, 04:20:59 AM »

He added such an extra dynamic with his vocals in a live setting.  Great contrast to James too.

Yea totally. Too late to try and get Jason in the top 25 vocalists thread?  :lol

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2022, 04:39:03 PM »
The Reasoning's first two albums had two male singers and one female one. It started out with them equally sharing vocals, but after one of the dudes left by album 3, the other guy kind of got relegated to being back-up for the girl, and he left too, so the fourth and final album was pretty much just the girl singing.

I always thought that both of those dudes had much more interesting singing voices than her. Yes, her singing is impressive at first, especially with the dynamic of the other two, but she had a very specific way of singing that got very one-note after a while. But she was the star of the show; she shared the same last name as the band's founder so I'm guessing they were either married or siblings.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2022, 04:59:16 PM »
Huh, this is confusing.  Jones is way too common a name to go by.  I'm not a big enough fan of Big Big Train to have really explored their affiliated bands (heard a few Magenta albums), but Google tells me that she was married to Ian Jones from Karnataka, but later married Matthew Cohen from The Reasoning, so she might not be related to Gareth Jones at all, no mention of them being siblings that I can tell. 

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2022, 05:20:03 PM »
I completely forgot Gareth Jones existed. She was credited as Rachel Cohen on those albums, so I was talking about Matthew.

She must have been married to the Karnataka guy before that; I never knew that, so sorry for any confusion from my end.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2022, 05:24:02 PM »
Are you guys talking about real bands?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2022, 05:27:43 PM »
I mean... it USED to be a real band.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2022, 05:42:43 PM »
Are you guys talking about real bands?

:lol

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2022, 06:20:08 PM »
Big Big Train is a Big Big band, here, no?

Online HOF

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2022, 06:25:58 PM »
Big Big Train is a Big Big band, here, no?

Kind of (there are a dedicated few of us!), but I think you are talking about a different band. They don’t have any members who were in Magenta.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2022, 06:37:08 PM »
No, they're a layer removed, sharing at least one member with The Reasoning.