Author Topic: Christmas music  (Read 3650 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Christmas music
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:54:55 AM »
 You know how I am about Christmas music, and I’m going to start my top 100 Christmas songs on Friday. It evolves every year, and this year there will be a new number one.  However, I am a little bit meh  on a few playlist that I have made in the past. I am always looking for new music to put on playlists. Can you guys recommend me your favorite Christmas music? It would be something unique, or can be something that’s a standard. Either way, I’m only going to put  recommended songs that I like on my playlist LOL
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
Re: Christmas music
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 06:57:27 AM »
Happy you did this because I am so sick of all the Christmas music I normally listen to.  Great to get some new ideas!
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online kaos2900

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 06:58:53 AM »
I LOVE the Alpha Rev Christmas album. I also enjoy the Sarah McLachlan and Kelly Clarkson Christmas albums. Also, you have to have some Mannheim Steamroller.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 07:13:25 AM »
Happy you did this because I am so sick of all the Christmas music I normally listen to.  Great to get some new ideas!

I hope so. Check the top 100 I’ll stwrt Friday. You’ll have some new music on there for sure lol
I LOVE the Alpha Rev Christmas album. I also enjoy the Sarah McLachlan and Kelly Clarkson Christmas albums. Also, you have to have some Mannheim Steamroller.

Well obviously I’ll have MS. Joy to the world is my kam

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 07:17:43 AM »
We have a radio station in Chicago that changes to all Christmas music on November 1 each year, but they tend to focus on the same 20-30 classic songs and play them over and over.

A lot of musicians (pop, country, etc.) have done Christmas albums, so if you're looking for variety, try searching for those.  That same radio station has been playing some Kelly Clarkson Christmas songs, which I found so refreshing compared to hearing Jingle Bell Rock again and again.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 07:25:00 AM »
It's not Christmas without the Chtulu mythos mashup songs of the HP Lovecraft Historical Society  ;D

https://store.hplhs.org/collections/filk
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 07:53:06 AM »
I'm not a christmas music fan at all, but I love this funky Vulfpeck song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5K3UgrPdbQ

Sleep Party People did a haunting version of Silent Night which is pretty rad as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wbRmDVU638
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 08:38:17 AM »
I saw this song being plugged on Twitter around this time a few years back.  A pretty darn rocking song.

Trucker Diablo - We're Gonna Rock This Christmas

Offline bill1971

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 08:40:33 AM »
I really love the 1st Trans Siberian Orchestra album. Nothing new I know. Otherwise I am pretty much a corny traditionalist.

Also check out Morris the Moose and other songs by the Peppermint Kandy Kids, your life will never be the same. :)
Kidding aside I grew up on that album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42_wsfIF8gA

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 08:43:06 AM »
Best Christmas Song Ever - "I Believe in Father Christmas" by Greg Lake.

Oh, and "We Wish You A Wombling Merry Christmas" by The Wombles, of course...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 09:25:24 AM »
I like to collect odd Christmas songs and I'm always looking for more.

Here's one of my favorites from the Asylum Street Spankers Red Nosed Reindeer Blues

Actually, that entire album is pretty fun.

[edit] Here's one I added to my play list last year. I Know What You Want for Christmas -- Kay Martin and Her Body Guards [/edit]
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:30:39 AM by Podaar »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »
I don't get the hate really, for most Christmas songs.   Maybe it's because I grew up on Elvis and Andy Williams, but I LOVE "All I Want For Christmas", and "Step Into Christmas", and "Last Christmas".   Oddly, since I'm a McCartney freak, the one song I don't care for is his.   Then again, I'm not really a McCartney SOLO freak, but a Beatles freak.   

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 10:25:51 AM »
I don't get the hate really, for most Christmas songs.   Maybe it's because I grew up on Elvis and Andy Williams, but I LOVE "All I Want For Christmas", and "Step Into Christmas", and "Last Christmas".   Oddly, since I'm a McCartney freak, the one song I don't care for is his.   Then again, I'm not really a McCartney SOLO freak, but a Beatles freak.   

I don't think anyone in this thread is hating on Christmas songs. Just the opposite, really. I love Christmas songs and probably my favorite piece of music all time is O Holy Night. The "fall on your knees, o hear the angel voices, o night divine" is chill inducing every single time I hear it...and this coming from an atheist.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 11:34:32 AM »

Ugh...I cannot stand that McCartney song.

I'm fairly traditional when it comes to Christmas music.  I like most of the classics (including those that are religious in nature), with Sleigh Ride and Carol of the Bells probably being my favorites.  The TSO stuff is ok once in a while as a change of pace, but too much of it is...well...too much.  I was going to say that Amy Grant did a Christmas album that I really like, and then I see that she's done a shitload of Christmas albums.  The one I'm talking about is Home for Christmas.  It has many traditional Christmas songs and one called Breath of Heaven that I think is an original.

Back in the early days of our relationship, my wife had me buy an album called "Music Box Christmas" (or something like that) by someone named Rita "Don't Call me Lita" Ford.  It's basically a bunch of recordings of music boxes playing Christmas songs and is ANNOYING AS FUCK, and I strongly recommend you all avoid it like the plague.

George Winston did an album int he early 80s called December that I like.  However, it's most memorable to me for what I recall as being a rather hilarious disclaimer in the liner notes about the album not endorsing Christianity or any particular religion.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 11:38:48 AM »
Yeah, George Winston is pretty much a nerd that way, but that December album is fantastic. It contains my all time favorite rendition of Carol of the Bells...mesmerizing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 11:42:21 AM »
Love the holiday, HATE the music. I do like the orchestral stuff, but anything else I despise. Why? I've been hearing this annoying shit for 32 years. I don't want to hear it anymore!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 11:56:53 AM »

One of my favorite Christmas albums of all time, by one of my favorite bands, featuring some great renditions of classic songs, but with a Flecktones twist, including the highlight of the album, "The 12 Days Of Christmas". It features each day-verse in ascending chromatic keys, each featuring a time signature based on the day (3rd day is a waltz in 3, 7th day is in 7/8, 11th day is in 11/16, etc.).

Definitely check this out if you want jazzy/blues/folk-inspired renditions of classic X-mas tunes, with a banjo!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 11:57:18 AM »
^Sounds great, Marc. I'll check it out

I don't think anyone in this thread is hating on Christmas songs.

Love the holiday, HATE the music. I do like the orchestral stuff, but anything else I despise. Why? I've been hearing this annoying shit for 32 years. I don't want to hear it anymore!

Well, no one was until Zook popped in.  :lol

Offline bill1971

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 12:16:19 PM »
One of my favorite Christmas albums of all time, by one of my favorite bands, featuring some great renditions of classic songs, but with a Flecktones twist, including the highlight of the album, "The 12 Days Of Christmas". It features each day-verse in ascending chromatic keys, each featuring a time signature based on the day (3rd day is a waltz in 3, 7th day is in 7/8, 11th day is in 11/16, etc.).

Definitely check this out if you want jazzy/blues/folk-inspired renditions of classic X-mas tunes, with a banjo!

-Marc.

That sounds very cool. :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 12:18:12 PM »
One more I forgot...Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson did a Christmas album in the early 2000s.  Lots of good stuff, including something called We Five Kings, which, IIRC, is a version of We Three Kings but done in 5/4 or 5/8 time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 12:19:08 PM »
One more I forgot...Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson did a Christmas album in the early 2000s.  Lots of good stuff, including something called We Five Kings, which, IIRC, is a version of We Three Kings but done in 5/4 or 5/8 time.

That's probably my favourite Christmas album actually, not that I know a lot of them. First Snow on Brooklyn is my favourite from that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 02:04:25 PM »

-Marc.

Their version of Linus and Lucy alone is worth the price of admission! Great call Marc.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »

-Marc.

Their version of Linus and Lucy alone is worth the price of admission! Great call Marc.

Nothing beats the original for my money, though.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:04:13 AM by Stadler »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 02:09:18 PM »
I grew up listening to 'crooners' singing Christmas classics. Maybe it's a comfort thing but that's what I enjoy most... Dean Martin for example
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »
I grew up listening to 'crooners' singing Christmas classics. Maybe it's a comfort thing but that's what I enjoy most... Dean Martin for example

Andy Williams for me. Can't not think of my Mother whenever I hear him sing It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 02:25:56 PM »

Andy Williams for me. Can't not think of my Mother whenever I hear him sing It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year.

You and me both, Podaar, that very same song. Always conjures thoughts of my mother in the kitchen with the stereo doing holiday stuff. Happy times...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 02:36:55 PM »

You and me both, Podaar, that very same song. Always conjures thoughts of my mother in the kitchen with the stereo doing holiday stuff. Happy times...

You are either near my age or just have an old soul.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 02:42:48 PM »

26. Just a brittle, old soul  :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 03:03:25 PM »

26. Just a brittle, old soul  :lol

God damn! I've got four children older than you!  :biggrin:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 03:39:29 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 04:11:06 PM »
We have a radio station in Chicago that changes to all Christmas music on November 1 each year, but they tend to focus on the same 20-30 classic songs and play them over and over.

Yes. 93.9.  I’m already sick of that station. I put you down for maybe a song or two every once in a while but they’re the same songs over and over again. I like a variety in my Christmas music. Those are the songs other than maybe 10% of them that in my opinion are timeless classics that I try to avoid.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 04:18:40 PM »
 OK. OK. I’m seeing a lot Andy Williams in this thread. I don’t mind Andy Williams, except it’s the most wonderful time of the year is probably the most overplayed song of the holiday season and I’m already sick of it. Anything else by Andy Williams I’m down with. His version of sleigh ride is one of my guilty pleasures to be quite honest.

I grew up in the 80s, and my dad was relatively young at that point so I grew up with Manheim steam roller at Jon Anderson’s three ships which is still one of my favorite albums.  Call cell Amy Grant and the carpenters have many songs that in my opinion are timeless.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 04:29:31 PM »

And the Gary Hoey instrumental albums

Danger Danger ‘s Naughty Naughty Xmas is my favourite Xmas song.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 04:59:25 PM »
Oh here’s my favorite: (this won’t be on my list because my wife would kill me if I played this in public)

https://youtu.be/Zn1eH--7IMU

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2017, 06:21:36 AM »
I've purchased both the Alpha Rev and Bela Fleck albums listed above. Thank you, folks!