Does this make you an asshole?

Yes
23 (38.3%)
No
24 (40%)
Kevin Moore
13 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: DRIVERS OF DTF. DO YOU AGREE? DISAGREE?  (Read 4053 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
DRIVERS OF DTF. DO YOU AGREE? DISAGREE?
« on: November 22, 2017, 07:48:28 PM »
Does this make you an asshole?

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: DRIVERS OF DTF. DO YOU AGREE? DISAGREE?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 08:19:08 PM »
ARe those shopping carts in a corral? And you’re asking if we disapprove of just leaving one out?

Also, yes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:26:16 PM »
This is truly a difficult question. In many situations, people prefer to stay in the same lane, thereby making the few people driving in the extra lane to "cut ahead" of others look like assholes. It feels like a dick move. However, ideally, if everyone did this, and merged every other car (zipper method), it'd be more efficient for everyone.

So idk. I don't get as angry about it as I used to, but I'm still convinced there's something inherent about driving that makes you think everyone else around you is basically an asshole regardless of what they do.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 08:33:46 PM »
That's actually the correct way to do it. It's a merge, not a yield or exit only lane. You zipper merge at the end.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 08:39:36 PM »
Sadly, since it looks to be a merge, it is up to the cars to the left to either speed a little so that the merging car can get behind you or slow down and let the merging car merge.  Also, if there's a lot of cars on the right lane attempting to merge...... gg, because that lane will be slowed down to a halt for about a minute before speeding things back up.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 09:51:18 PM »
Nope, it means you're the only person who knows how to merge properly and you're not a sheep and the other drivers can kiss your ass if it bothers them that they suck.

...not that I've ever been in this situation :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 09:58:54 PM »
I put yes. Of course, I’m a bad judge of if someone is a good or bad driver because if I decide someone is driving like a dick, I will always be spiteful and out-dick them. I call it offensive driving.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 10:30:12 PM »
Nope, it means you're the only person who knows how to merge properly and you're not a sheep and the other drivers can kiss your ass if it bothers them that they suck.

Ding ding ding! Lines and signs are there for a reason. If you don't know what it all means when you're out there driving, go take a class. If there's open space, I take it, because that's the correct way to drive.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 03:08:38 AM »
There's one of those in a nearby town that I used to live in. It's in a fairly busy section by a lot of heavy shopping areas, and there used to be a GM plant right there. It would be ok if people used it as it's intended to be used, but they usually use to try to blow by the traffic in the main lane. I'll watch my rearview every time I'm there, and if someone gets in the right lane and speeds up, I'll wait until they're next to me then I'll match their speed. They've got no choice but to slow down and slide in behind me.

Yes, I'm an asshole.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 03:10:21 AM »
This is truly a difficult question. In many situations, people prefer to stay in the same lane, thereby making the few people driving in the extra lane to "cut ahead" of others look like assholes. It feels like a dick move. However, ideally, if everyone did this, and merged every other car (zipper method), it'd be more efficient for everyone.

So idk. I don't get as angry about it as I used to, but I'm still convinced there's something inherent about driving that makes you think everyone else around you is basically an asshole regardless of what they do.

Exactly my thoughts

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 03:53:35 AM »
No, I don't understand why people choose to create traffic.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 04:36:58 AM »
Hard one.  Most of the time, yes, but I'm guilty of it quite a bit.  If there is no openings I'll go right up and merge properly like this, but if there is a space sometimes I'll go in early, but then the people behind that then go ahead and end up in front of me piss me off.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 06:10:50 AM »
The correct answer is no - zipper lane merging is the most efficient way to do it.  Now, if someone pulled out of the line to zip to the front and merge in, then yes, they are an asshole.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 08:16:41 AM »
The correct answer is no - zipper lane merging is the most efficient way to do it.  Now, if someone pulled out of the line to zip to the front and merge in, then yes, they are an asshole.

That's why if it is an area that you drive through frequently, you strategically stay in the lane where you'll be able to dart to the front and then merge in, so you do not become the asshole. :P :lol

Note: I do not actually do this.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 09:25:59 AM »
That's actually the correct way to do it. It's a merge, not a yield or exit only lane. You zipper merge at the end.

Nothing to add here.  :tup
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 09:34:24 AM »
Zipper merging is actually the law in a couple of states and several countries in Europe. The way I see it, if the Germans mandate it for its efficiency and Oklahomans bitch and moan about it, we should probably be following the Kraut's lead on this one.

Sadly, since it looks to be a merge, it is up to the cars to the left to either speed a little so that the merging car can get behind you or slow down and let the merging car merge.  Also, if there's a lot of cars on the right lane attempting to merge...... gg, because that lane will be slowed down to a halt for about a minute before speeding things back up.
It doesn't directly increase or decrease the amount of traffic. What it does is greatly decrease the size of the backup because you're using two lanes instead of one. It's also safer, at least it should be, because it's more organized and everybody's driving the same speed. The alternative, early merging, just has everybody try to slip in whenever they see an opportunity, which results in lots of braking, butthurt, and accidents.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 09:40:30 AM »
Zipper merging is actually the law in a couple of states and several countries in Europe. The way I see it, if the Germans mandate it for its efficiency and Oklahomans bitch and moan about it, we should probably be following the Kraut's lead on this one.

/thread

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 09:42:25 AM »
I thought we agreed on changing the Kevin Moore poll option to Mike Portnoy back in 2013...

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 09:59:08 AM »

Oh yeah, absolutely, I think someone attempted to do this to my lane a few days back, but I made sure he did not cut in front of me.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 10:13:46 AM »
I thought we agreed on changing the Kevin Moore poll option to Mike Portnoy back in 2013...

Mike who?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 08:08:52 PM »

This is correct.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 08:31:28 PM »
I don't think doing that makes you Moore or less of a jerk. As far as I'm aware, that's the correct and most common way of doing it. It's not like they're blocking half of the other lane, or holding up a huge line of cars, or just merging anyways and cutting in front of everyone. Nothing particularly awful about it.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 10:00:59 PM »
Moore or less of a jerk.

Those lanes will never be open again  :sadpanda:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 07:36:53 AM »

Exactly. You are supposed to maintain your lane until the merge point.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 07:54:04 AM »
I think a more controversial question would be those situations where an extra lane is added just for a single intersection. For example, on your side of the road, your one lane becomes two (the right lane is NOT a turn only lane). Then right after the intersection, it merges back over into one lane.

This was in one of my past commutes, and it enraged people to no end.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 07:56:24 AM »
I think a more controversial question would be those situations where an extra lane is added just for a single intersection. For example, on your side of the road, your one lane becomes two (the right lane is NOT a turn only lane). Then right after the intersection, it merges back over into one lane.

This was in one of my past commutes, and it enraged people to no end.

Ask yourself this, why did that lane get added?

Because if people are lined up in two lanes of 10 cars each, as opposed to one lane of 20 cars, and the light allows for 10 cars from each lane to go through you've now doubled the number of cars that can proceed through during each green light on peak. Yes, there is just enough room on the other side to work things out and get back in order, but that's better than being backlogged for 20 minutes during rush times.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2017, 08:07:02 AM »
I'm not sure it always works out as perfectly as you describe, but I think you're right! I never thought of it like that before. Thank you.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 08:09:35 AM »

I don't think I would have phrased it that way, but this is the right answer.  Personal feelings and competitiveness aside, this is the best way to get the most cars through the merge the quickest (which is good for all, since it reduces traffic and makes the driving safer).

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 08:06:56 AM »
I used to loathe people who did that, but I read something a while back stating that its the most effective use of the available road space, so it actually alleviates traffic severity.  I still find myself getting annoyed when someone tries to pass me like that because I know they are doing it just to get ahead, not because they are trying to make the best use of available road space.

It triggers a fundamental idea many of us have, that "I paid my dues by waiting in line, and now some asshole is going to get ahead for free".  Lots of social implications there.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 08:11:00 AM »
Absolute first class asshole. Yes!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Skeever

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2017, 11:36:39 AM »

Yup, but of course, we're both philly people so I guess it's our expectation that people know how to merge.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 12:01:36 PM »

Yup, but of course, we're both philly people so I guess it's our expectation that people know how to merge.

Philly people in the HOUSE!   I lived near the corner of 2nd and Christian, and on the corner of Broad and Pine for several years.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2017, 02:23:14 PM »
Absolute first class asshole. Yes!

Call me Anus McRectum then since I generally do it this way and, as stated before, studies show this is this best way to do things. ;)

Now, as others have alluded, if someone pulls into the lane merging just to get ahead, then I agree fully.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 11:15:34 PM »
It triggers a fundamental idea many of us have, that "I paid my dues by waiting in line, and now some asshole is going to get ahead for free".  Lots of social implications there.

Yeah, like the implications of getting in line just because everybody else did, even though you're doing it wrong!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2017, 12:32:28 AM »
To me this is no different than someone waiting in a long line at a grocery store because of some weird phenomenon that happens in which people group up together because it seems right (or something) when there is another lane open. Then someone walks up to the open lane and people bitch and moan despite it being totally fine and the fastest way to do things.

Also has been mentioned, there's without a single fucking doubt an inherent "I have to be first/I was first/I deserve to be there faster/etc. ad infinitum" thought process that always goes into this for anyone that has to let someone else in regardless of the situation or legality/rules.

So many people will say yes.

Many people are also mindless dullards. So y'know. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Welcome to humanity and the road. MAD MAX PART 2: THE MERGE, COMING SOON.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.