Author Topic: Dream Theater Band Insignia Change?  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Interdimensional

Dream Theater Band Insignia Change?
« on: November 21, 2017, 04:40:46 PM »
Hello all,

You may find this a weird post.

Last night while listening to a few DT songs on YouTube, I happened to notice that the band insignia features the "A" in both "DREAM" and "THEATER" with no line in the middle. Meaning, the A's in DREAM THEATER are presented as inverted V's, or pyramid shapes. I noticed this on the "Awake" CD cover, which I have personally owned for over 20 years. (We can see these "empty A's" in the insignia at the top of this very forum page.)

Now, I am not an avid DT fan, but these type of A's in their band logo are not in accord with my memory. And this is where the weird part begins. Not sure how many here are familiar with the "Mandela Effect" phenomenon. It's too much to get into here in depth, but many people are experiencing "changes" in familiar pop culture elements that do not align with how they have always remembered them. (The most popular of these being many who remember the "Berenstein" Bears, which have actually always been the "Berenstain" Bears.) Many insist that this is proof of merging parallel universes, or that someone is somehow travelling back in time and "changing" things retroactively.

One of the more popular trends of the ME phenomenon seems to be this very issue - the line in the middle of the A disappearing in many popular logos. This has been noticed with the KIA car company, Samsung, the old NASA logo, Highmark insurance, and others. All of these now feature A's with no line. And as I said, I have owned the Awake CD for over 2 decades and had never known the A's in "DREAM THEATER" to be like this. But now my very own physical property shows this stylistic oddity. The Mandela Effect phenomenon would postulate that I have merged from a previous reality into one in which the bands insignia has "always been that way."

So, my questions for the longtime hardcore fans are:

Do you recall the band's insignia having always been this way, with empty A's?

Was there a time when you first realized the A's have no lines in them, and thought it looked odd?

Is this the first time you have realized the A's are like that?

I am curious for everyone's input on this! Here is a video about the apparent "Mandela Effect" on the Dream Theater insignia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ZgGc-pPLY&lc=z22dhx2y1rvgttzkhacdp43bxd0b3av5e4dvsl5cyc5w03c010c

Thanks!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Dream Theater Band Insignia Change?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 04:42:01 PM »
 :hat
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 04:44:35 PM »
Even when I was in middle school doodling band logos instead of paying attention to the lecture I was drawing the logo without the middle of the A. Pretty sure WDADU is the only album to have actual, proper As instead of the stylized version that would be present ever after.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 04:48:20 PM »
I'm glad someone brought this up. Just last week I was thinking to myself that I was pretty sure that on all my old CDs and DVD's the band name was spelled Dream Theatre, but when I went back, they were all spelled like the URL of this site.

Soooooo, weird.

But, yeah, the a's have always been empty.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 04:53:51 PM »
I know why you're here, Interdimensional. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer. You're looking for him. I know because I was once looking for the same thing. And when he found me, he told me I wasn't really looking for him. I was looking for an answer. It's the question that drives us, Interdimensional. It's the question that brought you here. You know the question, just as I did.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 05:03:54 PM »
[edit]

OMFG, I know I scoffed earlier, but I just dug through my crawl space for my original Awake CD and checkout what I found!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:09:26 PM by Podaar »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 01:57:00 AM »
No Mandela effect - it's always been that way. 100%l.

Of course what you call an insignia is what I refer to as a logo, and no the logo has not changed**.  However, yes, what would be considered the Dream Theater insignia (Mary Queen of Scotts symbol) has slightly changed from an oval to circular shape in recent years.

So the title of this thread is correct from a certain interpretation of definitions.  But it is also incorrect for the same reason.

**outside of FII and Once in A Livetime's complete re-imagining of the band logo for those specific releases.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 03:54:07 AM »

OMFG, I know I scoffed earlier, but I just dug through my crawl space for my original Awake CD and checkout what I found!

:lol
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)