Author Topic: Two hip-hop fans react to DT's "Metropolis Pt. 1"  (Read 9066 times)

Offline Pettor

Re: Two hip-hop fans react to DT's "Metropolis Pt. 1"
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2018, 07:58:17 AM »
I want them to try Glass Prison. Having a great groove is a requirement to get anywhere and Glass Prison might be a risk, it does have great riff and groove that showcases a more progressive song.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2018, 08:50:24 AM »
I would think TROAE would be a safer bet for those guys this early in the game, even though TGP has some incredible stuff throughout.. It's just so long, it might give them indigestion.
Behind the Veil would be a good modern track to listen to that packs a punch.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:55:45 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2018, 09:41:09 AM »
Cool video, and it totally makes sense that a casual fan would enjoy AIA more.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2018, 09:47:38 AM »
I would think TROAE would be a safer bet for those guys this early in the game, even though TGP has some incredible stuff throughout.. It's just so long, it might give them indigestion.
Behind the Veil would be a good modern track to listen to that packs a punch.

I agree with the Root Of All Evil. As for as longer songs I actually feel like Bridges in the Sky might be a good choice. While it's 11 minutes, it has a faily standard song structure, cool riffs and an instrumental/solo section that's not too long. I feel like they could really enjoy it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2018, 10:41:03 AM »
I say now its time to hit him hard with The Spirit Carries On.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2018, 11:53:01 AM »
I wonder if hip-hop fans would care about DT fans’ reactions to a hip-hop song?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2018, 12:56:28 PM »
I wonder if hip-hop fans would care about DT fans’ reactions to a hip-hop song?

Probably not because DT fans tend to likely be more open minded musically.

I enjoy lots of Hip-Hop, except the mumble rap/mainstream stuff (although some of if is ok). So yeah, it wouldn't have the same effect.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2018, 01:15:36 PM »
Probably not because DT fans tend to likely be more open minded musically.

They usually are, until DT dare to change musical direction. *wink*

Offline bill1971

Re: Two hip-hop fans react to DT's "Metropolis Pt. 1" Update and As I Am
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2018, 05:58:31 PM »
A few days ago they did As I am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCP9W3LjKCs

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2018, 08:15:35 PM »
They REALLY like Metallica and Megadeth.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yesrushdt

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2018, 06:31:01 AM »
I definitely prefer Weaboo to anyone else who does reaction videos.  First of all, he's one of the first on youtube to start doing music reaction videos.  He's been at it for 3 years while so many others have jumped on the bandwagon over the last year or two.  Secondly he listens to alot more classic 70s prog (Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Rush, Kansas etc) than others that tend stick to more mainstream artists.  Also, he has a great sense of humor which really shines in every one of his videos.  His reactions to guitar/keyboard/band solos are pretty funny as he sometimes leans back in his chair and clutches his chest like he's about to have a heart attack or something. :)  Great to see the pure joy/wonderment etched on his face whenever he hears part of a song that blows him away.  Almost like you're listening one of your favorite songs again for the first time but through him.

Weaboo listened to Awake for the first time back in August and he absolutely loved it.  You can check out a playlist of the stream here.

On a final note, Weaboo got a nice facebook message from Dennis DeYoung (formerly of Styx) not too long ago after Dennis watched his reaction video for "Come Sail Away":
This is priceless.  Weaboo my friend (sorry couldn’t find your actual name), you brought a moment of joy into my life by your reaction to my song. When I wrote it in 1977 I never imagined it would touch people 41 years later in the way it just touched you. You were tuned in on my wavelength to every musical section as they unfolded as intended (I almost sounded hippyish there). The joy of discovery on your face and in your comments reminds me of the privilege I have had as a musician. Rock on my friend.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2018, 11:09:39 AM »
I haven't gotten a chance yet to go in and subscribe and post.  But I have now listened to a bunch of their reaction videos (I typically cue them up and let them continue on autoplay during my ride home), and have a pretty good feel for what they like and what doesn't work for them.  I am surprised that they haven't really gotten into any symphonic metal yet.  I can see that subgenre being hit-and-miss for them.  But based on what they seem to like, I think they could possibly REALLY enjoy some Epica.  I have been meaning to log on and suggest this particular live version of Consign To Oblivion:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkqyyUTCMUQ  I think they would go nuts over it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2018, 03:29:36 PM »
I like these guys a lot.  They're fun, respectful and very spot on in their first impression analysis of a song.  I totally get that they thought Metro Pt. 1 was all over the place because it actually is. :lol  Although, I love Metro, there really are too many transitions thrown in too fast and it's a lot to take in.  It doesn't surprise me that they liked As I Am more because of its accessibility and being a very well constructed heavy metal song.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2018, 03:42:55 PM »
I like these guys a lot.  They're fun, respectful and very spot on in their first impression analysis of a song.  I totally get that they thought Metro Pt. 1 was all over the place because it actually is. :lol  Although, I love Metro, there really are too many transitions thrown in too fast and it's a lot to take in.  It doesn't surprise me that they liked As I Am more because of its accessibility and being a very well constructed heavy metal song.

I posted a thread recognizing their channel in the GMD section of the forum.

Based on their tastes and things they have said in other videos for different bands, I think they would like Constant Motion a lot.  I think George would love the drum grooves in particular.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2018, 03:58:13 PM »
 :tup   I'm looking forward to checking out a lot more of these guy's reactions to songs.  Really liked the Metallica - One reaction.  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2019, 08:51:26 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KctUoXpZsLY

Dream Theater's team reached out to them to review Fall Into The Light? That's great! Bosk, did you have a hand in this?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2019, 09:05:18 PM »
yeah very cool they reached out and the guys are coming around now.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2019, 09:47:20 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KctUoXpZsLY

Dream Theater's team reached out to them to review Fall Into The Light? That's great! Bosk, did you have a hand in this?

Great feedback from them and cool move from DTs folks. Would love to see them react to The Glass Prison.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2019, 12:11:47 AM »
Yeah, that really is great promotion! Cool that they did this! Props to DT promotion
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2019, 05:34:13 AM »
I was just about to post that video when I saw this thread.

Great reaction! Those guys are really cool. They did get MM’s name wrong though, which was pretty funny.  :D

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2019, 02:37:31 PM »
I haven't gotten a chance yet to go in and subscribe and post.  But I have now listened to a bunch of their reaction videos (I typically cue them up and let them continue on autoplay during my ride home), and have a pretty good feel for what they like and what doesn't work for them.  I am surprised that they haven't really gotten into any symphonic metal yet.  I can see that subgenre being hit-and-miss for them.  But based on what they seem to like, I think they could possibly REALLY enjoy some Epica.  I have been meaning to log on and suggest this particular live version of Consign To Oblivion:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkqyyUTCMUQ  I think they would go nuts over it.

It may not be these guys, but there are a crap-ton of reaction vids to Nightwish on the YT and most people are blown away. Lately, I've gotten into watching the various reactions to Jinjer, especially the studio version of the song Pisces.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline JLa

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2019, 01:34:01 AM »
I don't get why people submit requests for umpteen different songs by one band. Like, they've had three DT songs now, they get it. Of course DT has a lot of other songs they could check out, but if the show is about expanding horizons, listening to new stuff etc, there's no point in coming back to the same artists again and again.

Have they done Rammstein yet? A live version of Links 2 3 4 or something of the more groovy stuff would be cool.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2019, 02:34:52 PM »
I don't get why people submit requests for umpteen different songs by one band. Like, they've had three DT songs now, they get it. Of course DT has a lot of other songs they could check out, but if the show is about expanding horizons, listening to new stuff etc, there's no point in coming back to the same artists again and again.

Have they done Rammstein yet? A live version of Links 2 3 4 or something of the more groovy stuff would be cool.

They are only going to do reactions to the majority of what their subscribers request.  That's how it's designed to work.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2019, 09:06:56 AM »
I think the band reaching out to them to do their current single could be the more lucrative route for these guys. I'm sure it was made to be worth their while, and I could see the band/label/whoever wanting them to get something on the platform with Mangini on it as well.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2019, 01:06:37 PM »
I think the band reaching out to them to do their current single could be the more lucrative route for these guys. I'm sure it was made to be worth their while, and I could see the band/label/whoever wanting them to get something on the platform with Mangini on it as well.

Plus,  Dream Theater's team 'Tweeted' out the link to their YouTube Channel and the Lost in Vegas guys said a nice 'thank you' to them for that. A globally recognized band with a rabid fan base acknowledging your YouTube channel doesn't hurt them either.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2019, 06:55:06 AM »

Plus,  Dream Theater's team 'Tweeted' out the link to their YouTube Channel and the Lost in Vegas guys said a nice 'thank you' to them for that. A globally recognized band with a rabid fan base acknowledging your YouTube channel doesn't hurt them either.

Even if no money was exchanged, this is awesome for these guys from a business perspective. I know there's the old joke, often made by photographers or drawers/painters, "I can't eat exposure", but in cases like this, I think it'd be totally worth it to do it for free. .

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2019, 07:43:16 AM »
I think they've had a bunch of artists do this, reach out to them directly to react to stuff. I know when Alter Bridge was releasing their latest concert DVD they sent the Lost in Vegas guys a video of one of the songs from the show to react to. It's good all around. Promotes the channel and the artist and their new work.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2019, 09:42:41 AM »
I think they've had a bunch of artists do this, reach out to them directly to react to stuff. I know when Alter Bridge was releasing their latest concert DVD they sent the Lost in Vegas guys a video of one of the songs from the show to react to. It's good all around. Promotes the channel and the artist and their new work.

The LiV guys admit in the DT video that a number of artists have reached out for reaction vids, although some have subsequently withheld permission when the reactions were not altogether positive. 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2019, 09:38:19 AM »
The ‘Lost in Vegas’ guys just Tweeted that they’ll be at the DT concert in LA tomorrow.....I’m hoping to hear their opinion on a live concert. Would be neat to hear.

Wonder if DT reached out to them and invited them?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2019, 09:40:23 AM »
The ‘Lost in Vegas’ guys just Tweeted that they’ll be at the DT concert in LA tomorrow.....I’m hoping to hear their opinion on a live concert. Would be neat to hear.

That's really cool! I just hope JLB has a good night and that they can handle him singing something like Pull Me Under, because he's going to sound way different and hopefully that doesn't taint the rest of the song for them, since I don't think they've heard PMU.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2019, 09:58:13 AM »
Along a similar vein, there's a vocal coach who does reactions to all different kinds of music and somebody got her to do UAGM from Live in Tokyo '93

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L42Wwpt1SQ4
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2019, 09:59:31 AM »

That's really cool! I just hope JLB has a good night and that they can handle him singing something like Pull Me Under, because he's going to sound way different and hopefully that doesn't taint the rest of the song for them, since I don't think they've heard PMU.

I've caught a video of their first concert of the tour on YouTube. LaBrie sounds the best he's been in years. I think he'll be fine haha

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2019, 10:00:11 AM »

I've caught a video of their first concert of the tour on YouTube. LaBrie sounds the best he's been in years. I think he'll be fine haha

Yeah. From what I heard JLB sounds incredible right now.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2019, 10:08:06 AM »
Oh yeah, JLB was very good last night.  Thought, I do question how his voice will hold up on the 3rd show, three nights in a row.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2019, 10:09:47 AM »

Okay I think I'm avoiding the DT subforum altogether until June so I can't see any spoilers for the setlist...
any rock can be made to roll