Author Topic: Worst DT fail you saw in person?  (Read 5601 times)

Offline TSA0074

Re: Worst DT fail you saw in person?
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2017, 12:44:12 PM »
When DT played Asheville in July 2009 on the Prog Nation tour  when they played “Erotomania” – JP’s guitar rig crashed for a few minutes . The result was Mike Portnoy launched into an impromptu drum solo.   (BTW James La Brie gets also gets a fail a couple of weeks ago here in Asheville 11/29/2017 because he actually asked the crowd if they had played here before ….. Not too sure if he was joking or not ... LOL!!)

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2017, 01:40:22 PM »
Detroit show this year just a few weeks back. MM played the ending of the phrase at the :31-:32 mark (or the :39-:41 mark - one of the 2) of Breaking All Illusions one beat short (he played it the same pattern/timing as in :23-:24) and was thus off a beat up through the transition at the :50 mark where he recovered. He knew it and was shaking his head for a while thereafter throughout the song.

That's a bit of a stretch for a 'fail' but that's the best I got.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2017, 02:10:37 PM »
The first time I saw them, on the Awake-tour, James microphone didn´t work. After a while he threw away the whole microphone stand and left the stage furious. The band jammed on and he returned about 10 minutes later and restarted the song (Pull me under). All in all, a fantastic concert  ;D
Wonder if this was recorded... They had lots of great jams back then when things went wrong (the Back Pain jam being one that immediately springs to mind.)
I don't believe so - haven't seen it listed yet.

When DT played Asheville in July 2009 on the Prog Nation tour  when they played “Erotomania” – JP’s guitar rig crashed for a few minutes . The result was Mike Portnoy launched into an impromptu drum solo.
That's one of the things MP was great about doing, and did several times over the years - keeping the audience entertained with impromptu drum spots when problems would otherwise force the show to a grinding halt.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DT1138

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2017, 06:53:24 PM »
Detroit show this year just a few weeks back. MM played the ending of the phrase at the :31-:32 mark (or the :39-:41 mark - one of the 2) of Breaking All Illusions one beat short (he played it the same pattern/timing as in :23-:24) and was thus off a beat up through the transition at the :50 mark where he recovered. He knew it and was shaking his head for a while thereafter throughout the song.

That's a bit of a stretch for a 'fail' but that's the best I got.

Stretch or not...that's a pretty impressive catch on your part!

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »
Not quite a "fail" but funny to watch.

Atlanta, GA during the 6DOIT tour (w/ Queensryche), the first song was Metropolis part 1 and during the intro music, MP was frantically running around his drum riser trying to get up there in time. He barely made it. He and JP had a laugh about it in the next 15 seconds or so.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2017, 06:16:01 AM »
A few years ago, 2014 I believe, they were playing for the 20th anniversary of Awake and 15th anniversary or Scenes from a Memory. When they were playing The mirror/Lie, James Labrie forgot the Lyrics to the second verse of Lie. While this was happening petrucci was just trying to help him remember by singing it with him but that did not work.

Great show though, specially the “Half time Show/Video”. If you have not seen it go to YouTube and look up dream theater “half time show” it is hilarious.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline genome

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2018, 04:34:59 AM »
Never seen any big trainwrecks, but they came close in Metropolis on the most recent tour, in Manchester. MM just about pulled it back.

In the first show of the Astonishing tour, James came in a full 8 bars too early for the outro to The Walking Shadow, and his big crescendo came in halfway through the build up... it sounded weird, but still in tune  :lol

There are other little things I've seen in shows, like JP forgetting to switch to his clean channel during the intro to Finally Free in London 2014, so the nice arpeggios came in at full distortion for a second or two.

Offline genome

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2018, 04:44:22 AM »
By the way, there's a pretty impressive video (you may have seen it) of Outcry on the 2012 tour, where the band's in ear system completely failed, so they couldn't hear each other at all. Yet they still played the instrumental section brilliantly despite looking a bit panicked.

JP's reaction just before it at 4:29  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muBkquxoFkI

And him addressing the crowd afterwards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbaYELnRyMo

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2018, 09:31:35 AM »
Impressive...

And haha JP doing the sign of the cross, had to pray to baby jesus.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2018, 10:23:08 AM »
That was impressive.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2018, 11:44:58 AM »
By the way, there's a pretty impressive video (you may have seen it) of Outcry on the 2012 tour, where the band's in ear system completely failed, so they couldn't hear each other at all. Yet they still played the instrumental section brilliantly despite looking a bit panicked.

And him addressing the crowd afterwards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbaYELnRyMo

Unreal :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2018, 12:10:09 PM »
"Pratice, practice, practice"... because you never know when you have to launch into a complex and intricate 5 minutes solo section in front of a packed venue  :lol

The sign of the cross was hilarous, "We're about to get into an insane solo section without hearing each other... God help us"  :rollin I bet he asked to himself "Why these things never happen during Beneath the Surface?"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2018, 01:07:46 PM »
I bet he asked to himself "Why these things never happen during Beneath the Surface?"

:rollin :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline OptionalPlayer

• Comprised of a series of ones and zeros
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2018, 01:10:20 PM »
Toronto, 2004. Train of Thought tour. During A Change of Seasons, "But those days are gone," LaBrie was flat and bowed his head in shame. I have bootleg video of the concert so I can rewatch the pain over and over.

In 2014, during Enigma Machine, the band had just come back from a break in touring so Toronto was their first show of the North American tour. The band fumbled coming back into the song after Mangini's drum solo. It was pretty subtle though. It you weren't familiar with the song, you wouldn't have noticed it. But the band was looking at each other as they got themselves back into the song.

Saw Myung lose it on his stage tech for unknown reasons during a show I think in 2008? Systematic Chaos, I think? Damned if I remember. Been to too many shows.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2018, 01:13:47 PM »
Saw Myung lose it on his stage tech for unknown reasons during a show I think in 2008? Systematic Chaos, I think? Damned if I remember. Been to too many shows.

Really? Care to go into anymore detail? That seems like the last guy to lose it on a tech.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2018, 07:14:11 PM »

Really? Care to go into anymore detail? That seems like the last guy to lose it on a tech.

Seems like the last guy to lose it on anybody :eek

Offline genome

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2018, 05:07:48 AM »
With "lose it", it probably means he gave him a hard stare, and then sent him a text message after the show saying "..."

:P

Offline Evai

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2018, 05:13:27 AM »
Seems to me like he tackled him
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline OptionalPlayer

• Comprised of a series of ones and zeros
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2018, 10:57:04 PM »

Unfortunately there isn't much detail to give as it looked like it took place off-stage. I can't even remember the song it was after.

Anyway, after the song, Myung looked like he was stomping on his pedals and visibly looked frustrated (I was second row, his side). He walked off stage, took his bass off and "tossed" it to his tech guy. I quote "tossed" because it really wasn't a far distance. But once he gave the bass up, he looked like he was shouting at the tech guy for a few seconds. That could've been eiher bexause it waa too loud or he was really angry. Eiher way, the tech guy disappeared for a few moments, gave the bass back, filled  the brandy glass with one thousand brown M&Ms, and Dream Theater went on and played a great show.

Offline CB

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2018, 04:22:01 PM »

Great video, never seen it before. I just can't imagine how they got it right without hearing each other AT ALL??? And why didn't they take their in ears out like James did?

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2018, 05:44:55 AM »

Great video, never seen it before. I just can't imagine how they got it right without hearing each other AT ALL??? And why didn't they take their in ears out like James did?
Well, they heard the drums at least, that's the only instrument making noise loud enough. So I'm guessing they were all playing to that, but without hearing themselves.

Crazy impressive, especially during a song like that. :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.