Author Topic: Worst DT fail you saw in person?  (Read 5603 times)

Offline DT1138

Worst DT fail you saw in person?
« on: November 15, 2017, 11:36:53 AM »
For those who have seen them in person, wondering what the worst fail you saw them do live and in person?  They were practically flawless in Chicago.  This is just for curiosity and fun reasons.

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Worst DT fail you saw in person?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 11:49:58 AM »
No fails from me either. I don't count the occasional difficulties of James as "fail", I'm thinking of trainwrecks, blatant musical mistakes, someone slipping or falling on stage, James completely forgetting the lyrics etc... never saw that happen in person.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 12:04:42 PM »
I did see James fall on stage once. I don't know if I'd count it as a fail or not. I can't remember which show it was - either on the Astonishing tour or back in the spring for this tour.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 01:43:56 PM »
The first thing that came to mind was when MP fake humped the stage prop ant on the Systematic Chaos tour, but maybe that's not the sort of "fail" you were going for.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DTA

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 01:59:10 PM »
I'm not sure it's a "fail" really as it wasn't the band's fault, but I remember JP's guitar cutting out during UAGM at the Radio City Score show.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 02:14:45 PM »
A couple of train wrecks during Metropolis Pt 1 at the Aug 2000 Phoenix AZ show. They restarted the song twice during the instrumental section.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 02:17:19 PM »
The fact that they didn't play You Not Me was a MASSIVE fail.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 02:48:54 PM »
I'm not sure it's a "fail" really as it wasn't the band's fault, but I remember JP's guitar cutting out during UAGM at the Radio City Score show.
Yeah, they obviously overdubbed it for the Score DVD, but you can still pick up clues as to what happened. Petrucci is dicking around with his pedals and speakers, Portnoy keeps nervously checking him.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 03:09:38 PM »
James fell off the stage during Bridges in the Sky at the State Theater in Minneapolis during the Summer leg of the ADTOE tour
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 04:07:30 PM »
During the FII tour at the Fenix in Seattle the power went out at least once, and maybe twice.

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 09:05:17 PM »
Grand Prarie when they opened with BITS JPs guitar wasn’t  turned up thru the speakers..MM still had perfect timing ..I’m assuming he had ear monitors so he could hear the guitar intro... then volume kicked in ..little derailment but not a train wreck

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 09:48:08 PM »
The fact that they didn't play You Not Me was a MASSIVE fail.

Just saw them again and they made the same mistake as above.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 03:43:17 AM »
Not a fail of the band, but the power went down too in Buenos Aires, AFTR tour, fortunately (and not) while the youtube compilation video was on, so it didn't cut any song, but it was a tense moment where we didn't know if the show was going to conclude.. I remember JP came back almost running to the stage to start playing The Mirror to not wasting any more time..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 03:48:18 AM »
The only colossal screw up I saw was at my first DT show at Hammerstein Ballroom in April of 2014. James completely forgot the words to Lie and even told the crowd that he messed up. John ended up singing the rest of the lyrics to the song into his face to mess with him. It's on YouTube somewhere.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 03:56:25 AM »
Power failure during TDOE when I saw them in 2009, Stockholm. Not sure it falls under the "DT fail" category though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DT1138

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 05:02:52 AM »
Sorry, guess I should have defined fail as mistakes, errors, or whatever else happened that was unexpected or unplanned.  So in my opinion all of the above apply.  Interesting that there were so many power failures.  I've been to tons of show's over the years and thankfully that has never happened.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 08:56:38 AM »
James blowing a line during Scarred in L.A.  He just smiled, did a spin and kept going.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 11:05:43 AM »
Not in person, but there's a rare double fail here (@1:42:50), Portnoy messes up the beat, then Jordan fails to switch patches in time for the solo 10 seconds later: https://youtu.be/M81CHCBcwqs?t=1h42m50s

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Evai

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 11:44:53 AM »
then Jordan fails to switch patches in time for the solo 10 seconds later: https://youtu.be/M81CHCBcwqs?t=1h42m50s

Around these parts, we call that 'pulling a derek'
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 11:47:09 AM »
then Jordan fails to switch patches in time for the solo 10 seconds later: https://youtu.be/M81CHCBcwqs?t=1h42m50s

Around these parts, we call that 'pulling a derek'

#NoPatchFails
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 11:51:35 AM »
James fell off the stage during Bridges in the Sky at the State Theater in Minneapolis during the Summer leg of the ADTOE tour

Did he break a leg?  :neverusethis:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 10:22:30 AM »
In Tucson, on The Astonishing tour, during the intro to Losing Faythe, JLB forgot the lyrics. You hear "My foolish pride...da da dada...wow." Then remembered and sang the rest really giving it, making up for that mistake.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 12:14:09 PM »
At one point in LA (back in the MP days) James couldn't figure out how to come in with the 2nd verse of Scarred and kept screwing up and stopping. MP looked SUPER pissed and James was clearly annoyed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 01:42:05 PM »
At the beginning of their set covering all of Master of Puppets, JL lost his place with the lyrics to Battery because he was relying on a teleprompter for the lyrics, and the teleprompter guy had screwed up and wasn't cycling thru the lyrics like he was supposed to. IIRC, the problem didn't get sorted out until the end of the song, so we got an instrumental version of that song. But on the up side, JL was so pissed off as a result that he gave a fiery performance for the rest of that set, which benefited those songs.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 01:52:51 PM »
Power failure during TDOE when I saw them in 2009, Stockholm. Not sure it falls under the "DT fail" category though.

That was awesome.... MP entertaining the audience while the others had nothing to do...
Sweden can't handle the Meshugga riff

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 02:09:17 PM »
Grand Prarie when they opened with BITS JPs guitar wasn’t  turned up thru the speakers..MM still had perfect timing ..I’m assuming he had ear monitors so he could hear the guitar intro... then volume kicked in ..little derailment but not a train wreck

I was there too. I've witnessed two fails then  :rollin

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 02:44:02 PM »
On the AFTR tour in Helsinki in 2014 JP flubbed the lead before the vocals come in on Trial of Tears and ended up improvising a random solo in its place.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 05:59:46 PM »
Not a trainwreck at all, but JP's panicked reaction was worth the price of admission.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 06:03:13 PM »

MM is playing to a click track. He comes in at the same time no matter what.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Evai

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2017, 06:23:41 PM »

MM is playing to a click track. He comes in at the same time no matter what.

Yeah, for all we know Mangini could have all the other band members turned down in his in ears, so he just hears his drums and the click. He hasn't listened to Dream Theater in years
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 02:54:17 AM »
Its when big John Petrucci signed at the wrong part of the Song book I brought during a meet and greet.

J/K. 
And she listens openly

Offline gilpdawg

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2017, 01:50:00 AM »
At the beginning of their set covering all of Master of Puppets, JL lost his place with the lyrics to Battery because he was relying on a teleprompter for the lyrics, and the teleprompter guy had screwed up and wasn't cycling thru the lyrics like he was supposed to. IIRC, the problem didn't get sorted out until the end of the song, so we got an instrumental version of that song. But on the up side, JL was so pissed off as a result that he gave a fiery performance for the rest of that set, which benefited those songs.
I remember that, I think you were right behind me. (I seem to recall that discussion way back on the MP board then)

I've never seen James that angry before.

Adding one:

Cleveland Gigantour James split his pants.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2017, 02:21:24 PM »

I remember this!

Offline legenden1

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 08:58:16 AM »
The first time I saw them, on the Awake-tour, James microphone didn´t work. After a while he threw away the whole microphone stand and left the stage furious. The band jammed on and he returned about 10 minutes later and restarted the song (Pull me under). All in all, a fantastic concert  ;D

Offline pcs90

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2017, 12:32:11 PM »
The first time I saw them, on the Awake-tour, James microphone didn´t work. After a while he threw away the whole microphone stand and left the stage furious. The band jammed on and he returned about 10 minutes later and restarted the song (Pull me under). All in all, a fantastic concert  ;D
Wonder if this was recorded... They had lots of great jams back then when things went wrong (the Back Pain jam being one that immediately springs to mind.)