Author Topic: My concerns for James  (Read 9519 times)

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
My concerns for James
« on: November 15, 2017, 08:53:28 AM »
Someone was discussing this in a FB page and it brought me here to find out what you DT fanatics feel on this subject

Now me. I am a huge DT fan. Have every album including several bootlegs..
Even saw TA live.
But some i know that went to see the I&W&B show said that JLB looked fedup and not as enthusiastic as he has been in the past...
I never saw these shows so i dont know. But it concerns me for DT's future. Especially now that they are taking a break. Is this one of the causes? Are they giving him time to rest?
Is anyone else concerned about this and perhaps reckon he should hang up his boots for DT's sake?

Obviously voices change with age but thats not what worries me. Is James getting fed up and bored?
Anyone else see this or feels this way?
Solo Album in the making.....

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: My concerns for James
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 09:03:45 AM »
I'm being completely honest, if he ever looks frustrated, it's probably because he's singing in ball-crunchingly difficult vocal territory every night for god knows how many months on this IW&Beyond tour and he's straining. I don't think James is tired of DT at all. They just need to hang up the stupidly high-register songs after this tour and cater to his strengths. Singing within a comfortable range makes a live show so much better.

My two cents, he seemed completely happy both times I've seen him in the last year.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline DT1138

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 09:13:12 AM »
He was absolutely awesome in Chicago.  He hasn't sounded that good in years. He also engaged the audience very well and was really funny when talking.  I give him an A+ for that show.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 09:33:35 AM »

But some i know that went to see the I&W&B show said that JLB looked fedup and not as enthusiastic as he has been in the past...

Happens to everybody. Difficult passages to sing, toll of touring, maybe some technical problems like his in-ear monitors, etc... I've seen James on both good nights and ad nights (more good than bad) and I've seen him pissed off as well (it was a in-ear monitor issue where it took like 3 songs to fix, after that his mood changed). I wouldn't read more than it is. If James was unhappy with DT, he would have said subtle things in his interviews.

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 10:03:17 AM »

Happens to everybody. Difficult passages to sing, toll of touring, maybe some technical problems like his in-ear monitors, etc... I've seen James on both good nights and ad nights (more good than bad) and I've seen him pissed off as well (it was a in-ear monitor issue where it took like 3 songs to fix, after that his mood changed). I wouldn't read more than it is. If James was unhappy with DT, he would have said subtle things in his interviews.

Oh yh there are many factors.... i remember during TA show. He had to rush back to the Mic a few times as he nearly forgot he had to sing.
But someone else mentioned that DT was asked to take a break 7 yrs ago. They refused and now decide to take a break now after it looked as if JLB wasnt "his usual self"..

Which no doubt starts up more questions than answers..
It just got me thinking that what would happen to DT if JLB left and another singer came to front the mic.. would they be better of or wont they?

Just food for thought as i know others have noticed (whether they are in this forum or not)....

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 10:05:18 AM »
But someone else mentioned that DT was asked to take a break 7 yrs ago. They refused and now decide to take a break now after it looked as if JLB wasnt "his usual self"..

??? I'm confused on this...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 10:06:52 AM »
Well, they have to be more specific about which shows because in the DT concert here in Manila, he was very enthusiastic. Especially loved the guy wearing the shirt "James LaBrie is the tits."

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 10:08:18 AM »
They are not taking a break.... Petrucci has a tour with G3 in spring which is why they do not head straight into the studio

This is nothing like MPs demand for the band to take an indefinite hiatus while he was out playing with younger bands....

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 10:17:40 AM »
And JLB would do his next solo album. Mangini would be drumming for JP (right?) and also work on his first solo album.

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 10:24:39 AM »
And JLB would do his next solo album. Mangini would be drumming for JP (right?) and also work on his first solo album.
They are not taking a break.... Petrucci has a tour with G3 in spring which is why they do not head straight into the studio

This is nothing like MPs demand for the band to take an indefinite hiatus while he was out playing with younger bands....

It was mentioned in a DT Latino forum about Petrucci & Mangini goin on G3 tour. Petrucci workin on another solo album. Others doin other things and will take 2018 as a break and get bsck together in 2019 for a new album....

So it has been mentioned in other forums...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 10:25:56 AM »
Petrucci's talked about that solo album for I don't even know how many years now. It's never happening.  :lol And that break is not akin to the hiatus Portnoy wanted back in the day.

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 10:26:29 AM »
Well, they have to be more specific about which shows because in the DT concert here in Manila, he was very enthusiastic. Especially loved the guy wearing the shirt "James LaBrie is the tits."

One gig was in the UK... The other was in Germany...
I cant remember the other place i would need to dig through and find it ..

Online ozzy554

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
I know I posted this reply in another thread but I think it sums up my feelings on this topic.

Yeah the I&W material is where James Struggles the most. I wouldn't be surprised if this tour ends up being a farewell for most of the songs from this album. Apart from occasionally pulling out Pull Me Under or Metropolis.

Also he may need a bit of a break from touring. I'm sure doing 3 hour shows a lot can be taxing let alone at his age. After this tour if they spend a good chunk of the time off the road making a new album I think it would be really good for him. When I saw them at the boston opera house James was basically on point the entire night. He especially nailed the Awake songs so I know he still has some left in the tank.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 10:38:28 AM »
It was mentioned in a DT Latino forum about Petrucci & Mangini goin on G3 tour. Petrucci workin on another solo album. Others doin other things and will take 2018 as a break and get bsck together in 2019 for a new album....

So it has been mentioned in other forums...

They will not get back together in 2019 for a new album. What was said was thet they will release the new album in 2019. The album would be composed in 2018.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 10:47:49 AM »

There have been 14 shows on the U.S. leg of the I&W&B tour so far.  I have no idea what "some" people on Facebook might have said, but I haven't seen any such comments and, based on my attendance at the Los Angeles show, I would disagree with this sentiment.

it concerns me for DT's future.

Why do you care what a bunch of folks are saying on Facebook?

Especially now that they are taking a break.

They always take breaks at the ends of tours.

Is this one of the causes? Are they giving him time to rest?

I'm sure James will have as much time as he needs to rest his voice.  I also think you're making way too much about stuff you read on Facebook.

Is anyone else concerned about this and perhaps reckon he should hang up his boots for DT's sake?

I'm not any more or less concerned about James's voice than I have been for the last 10-15 years.

Obviously voices change with age but thats not what worries me. Is James getting fed up and bored?

No one here knows.  You can tweet and ask him or post on one of the message boards on his web site.

Look...as time passes, it becomes more difficult for James to deal with some of the material (especially from the early days of the band's career).  He has started changing the vocal melodies on some songs to make it easier for him to sing.  Whether he's "fed up" (with what?) or "bored" is something none of us will ever know unless he announces it publicly.  Until then don't worry about things that are completely outside your control.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:10:28 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »
As with anything, if you are getting your "news" from Facebook comments, you likely aren't getting an accurate picture.  :lol 

As already discussed by others, this isn't accurate.  If you want to know what the band is up to and why, best to see what the band is actually saying or ask someone who actually knows.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 11:01:50 AM »
These are comments i have seenOne fella who went up north of the UK said he was less than impressed with a few things from the whole group.

An Italian chap who couldnt make the Italy dates went to Germany and said JLB wasnt as "energetic" as he usually is.

I think there have been a few more than 14 shows..
Also its not about taking facebook seriously... if its 1 person withb1 comment then thats just them. But when you see the same thing appearing in many places over a period of time...
Some on actual DT posts.... then its only natural to think and ask questions...

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 11:06:08 AM »
Well I have seen the Images and Words and beyond tour 2 times.... once in Stockholm and once in Katowice and to me your post does not make sense.
I had no such thoughts whatsoever from those shows or from any of the other 10 DT shows I have seen.

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 12:05:29 PM »
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1890229580994742&id=588847477799632

This is from the Dream Theater Latinoamerica forum...
So its not me making things up. Its from various forums

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 12:23:16 PM »
Maybe you should put a poll on FB :biggrin:
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline V_R11

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 12:28:42 PM »
I’ve never got the kind of vibe that he’s fed up with DT from James. Frustration with his voice,yes, but nothing more. Saw I&W&B in February and his stage persona was 100% on point despite voice issues
Seasons change and so can I

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 12:41:26 PM »
Saw I&W&B in February and his stage persona was 100% on point despite voice issues

Same here. He was at his very best concerning stage presence and in between banter.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 12:48:47 PM »
The only thing that concerns me with JLB at this time is what he's done to his hair.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 01:00:27 PM »
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1890229580994742&id=588847477799632

This is from the Dream Theater Latinoamerica forum...
So its not me making things up. Its from various forums

This is not a full hiatus as MP wanted. This is just the typical break from the touring schedule before they begin writing a new album. This is more or less on what they have been doing for the last album cycles (with or without MP, except for ADTOE since they took longer to write and record due to the drummer situation).

New DT studio releases have been released every 2-3 years. The Astonishing was released in Jan 2016, with about almost two years of touring (including Images Anniversary). DT 12 was released Sept 2013. From January 2016, to 2019 (whenever the new album is released), is going to be about 3 years in between studio releases...

Not sure why are you panicking. I read the comments and I didn't read anything alarming. The news bites posted at the top of the thread is news that is already known.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 01:06:24 PM »
The man is 54 years old.     I can barely hit the I&W notes and I'm "only" 43.  If I sing any DT song full out, I literally can't sing for two days now.

Cut the man some slack.   Singing DT is not easy, especially night after night.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Evai

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 01:33:41 PM »

Yeah, and also day after day.

Did they ever see the red light
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 01:41:54 PM »

Yeah, and also day after day.

Did they ever see the red light

Especially when one replays the events...over and over...scene by scene....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:03:51 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 01:49:34 PM »
Oh man, this thread...

OP - don't worry James is fine. Life advice: don't take FB comments so seriously.

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 02:19:47 PM »
Can i ask then....
This show
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=BQa4vbwsZKw
In Hamburg...
Listen to the vocals.... is this really DT's standards??
This is the point i am trying to get at...
Skip ahead to 12:48 even and listen...

This is where my concern is. It isnt me... This is from early on in the tour and you can see it on his face. Something isnt right...
Can anyone with a straight face say "WOW, This is AWESOME"..
Im not tryin to beat the guy down but this is not standard JLB. Hence why there has been discussions here and there by some fans...

I just brought it here as no one seemed to wanna ask it...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 02:22:03 PM »
Derek, is that you?  :lol

Touring is especially hard on vocalists, man, and again, this is one of the most demanding albums for any singer to sing out there. The album is 25 years old, he'd have a hard time singing that live even back then before the food poisoning incident. They're just out there celebrating the album that put them on the prog metal map. They'll be back to singing things within his comfortable range soon. This is just life sometimes.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 02:31:29 PM »

:lol

Can i ask then....
This show
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=BQa4vbwsZKw
In Hamburg...
Listen to the vocals.... is this really DT's standards??
This is the point i am trying to get at...
Skip ahead to 12:48 even and listen...

Rough show for James there, no question. But, he's a vocalist in his 50's singing incredibly difficult material, he's going to have good shows and bad shows. From that clip you posted, this was a rough one I'd say. As for the DT standard, I have no clue, and no one here can answer that. Only the band can. MM messed up his pattern in the intro of Metropolis in that clip as well, does that live up to the band standard? I have no clue.

This is where my concern is. It isnt me... This is from early on in the tour and you can see it on his face. Something isnt right...
Can anyone with a straight face say "WOW, This is AWESOME"..
Im not tryin to beat the guy down but this is not standard JLB. Hence why there has been discussions here and there by some fans...

I just brought it here as no one seemed to wanna ask it...

Huh? James' vocals are discussed and dissected all the time here.

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 02:33:14 PM »

Touring is especially hard on vocalists, man, and again, this is one of the most demanding albums for any singer to sing out there. The album is 25 years old, he'd have a hard time singing that live even back then before the food poisoning incident. They're just out there celebrating the album that put them on the prog metal map. They'll be back to singing things within his comfortable range soon. This is just life sometimes.

Derek????? 😂😂
You're kidding right
You will find im someone else...
Im happy to send you a selfie
Shadystraz is my Space4keys username for the patches i sell on synthonia.
Az is my real name... which is in the Straz name..

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 02:33:59 PM »
I'm just having fun, my friend. I don't actually think you're Derek  :)

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 02:36:45 PM »
I'm just having fun, my friend. I don't actually think you're Derek  :)

Hahahaha....
I didnt want anyone getting the wrong idea 😂😂
Im just a concerned DT fan asking a question to the DT public

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 02:45:45 PM »
Knowing that you can't do what you used to be able to do on the level you used to be able to do is frustrating. I don't know how old the average forumer is here, but I'm 40 and I can't do anything athletic like I used to be able to do. The mind is willing but the body isn't always up to the task. Frustrates the stink out of me.

I'm sure there may be some frustration on JLB's part knowing that he can't sing like that anymore and it's still a bit of a struggle to sing well when they tune the song down a half step or so. Keep in mind that he's not singing Eagles or Beatles songs. He's singing DT for crying out loud.

You can see the look on his face on YouTube videos and it seems he's not happy at some parts. It's just age. Again, knowing that you can't do what you used to be able to do on the level you used to be able to do it is frustrating.

I think his vocals on The Astonishing were perfect and suited his current capabilities. The next DT release needs to make sure the vocals stay in his realm of capable range like it did on TA.