Author Topic: Jeff Scott Soto  (Read 5922 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Jeff Scott Soto
« on: November 15, 2017, 01:20:54 AM »
I have been enjoying his latest JSS album, Retribution, streaming it on Spotify at least once a day since its release.

I've always been a fan since I heard his rendition of Save Me in the Dragon Attack album. What an amazing voice. I also admire how much hard work he puts in, juggling so many projects, lending his voice to many solo projects of other artists.

I just find it sad that he never really hit it big. He's not really a strong songwriter, and he never got a high profile gig that would give him the material that would push him to the top. TSO was very high profile, but it was already past his prime with a lot of his range already lost.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jeff Scott Soto
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 03:15:51 AM »
I thought the new album was decent and yeah..........he needs a great songwriting partner.   He may have been bigger if Yngwie wasn't such a douche - seems he is attracted to them  ;D   Marching Out was a huge album for me as a kid.

Talisman were pretty big in Europe/Scandi but yeah.........should've been bigger.  I have just about everything he has ever released - up until the end of Talisman , who are an all time favourite band of mine .   Even have one of the 500 copies of the live acoustic thing he did with the guy from Takara covering Journey etc...    Losing Marcel Jacob was very sad and they put out some great stuff together.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 03:39:36 AM »
JSS was always a little bit under my radar, I have heard things here and there, and while it wasn't bad it hasn't vowed me, so I never had the feeling to check him out further. I always wonder why he gets so much praise, he's just solid imo.

On Sons Of Apollo he is not bad but very one-dimensional and generic. Him singing Journey songs didn't really work for me either. He's good on the Yngwie records and I have that SoulSirkUS (or whatever it was called) record with Neil Schon. Some good songs on there, but sometimes his voice sounds strained.

Probably should check out Talisman, everybody keeps telling me how great they were. I've heard bits but maybe the wrong songs, because I didn't think them special either.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 04:16:26 AM »
Like Brent, I'm a pretty big Talisman fan, there's some amazing underrated stuff there.  His Yngwie contribution is great and yeah, could have been a great long term partnership if Yngwie wasn't Yngwie.

His solo stuff is hit and miss and I thought the one before the new one Damage Control was one of the coolest things he's ever done.  His Soto project thing I didn't mind either.  The debut WET album is also one of the best things he's done too.  Didn't dig the Soul Sirkus that much though which should have been better.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 06:00:30 AM »
Right. Talisman was a very good band. If that was JSS' peak, then I guess it was an okay career.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 11:49:30 AM »
Look, let me get out of the way right now that the guy can sing, and he seems to be an A-one guy all around

But I just find his voice to be fairly bland (I have the same criticism of Russell Allen).  I get it, not everyone can be Ozzy - and who wants to be? - but there are just guys, like Roth, Hagar, Dickinson, Perry, Halford, LaBrie, Ozzy, Coverdale, Gillan, Collins, Lee, Stanley... who they can sing three notes and you know who they are.  I just bought Trilogy, by Yngwie and I was like "I thought Mark Boals sang on this; it sounds like Soto!".   

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »
Love his voice and he really is a nice guy.
Saw his band in a pub in Wigan a few years ago on Halloween. They all came out with KISS make up on but it melted off after a couple of songs. Jeff walked around the pub singing and stole my beer.

Talked to him at the Maxine’s rock nights several times, and at the Queen convention. Always had time for people, no prima dona crap.

Enjoyed the new album after not enjoying anything since Prism, and he’s great on SoA.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 02:18:04 PM »
Love his voice and he really is a nice guy.
Saw his band in a pub in Wigan a few years ago on Halloween. They all came out with KISS make up on but it melted off after a couple of songs. Jeff walked around the pub singing and stole my beer.

Talked to him at the Maxine’s rock nights several times, and at the Queen convention. Always had time for people, no prima dona crap.

Enjoyed the new album after not enjoying anything since Prism, and he’s great on SoA.

I hope he bought you another beer haha.

I have both Prism and Lost in Translation and either of those didn't do anything for me to be honest.  Also have Beautiful Mess, but that's another story.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 02:47:48 PM »
Agreed re Jeff being a great guy Paul.  I spent 20-30 mins chatting with him in Melbourne on the Lost In Translation tour, whenever that was.   He did back to back shows - a Queen tribute show the first night and his solo show the next and finished with a barnstorming Malmsteen medley.

I cannot believe I didn't get photos but I was a very late adopter with smart phones and still usually leave it at home :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 02:52:58 PM »
Yeah I didn’t do photos either. Phones weren’t that smart then 😀

And no, I didn’t get a beer back. He owes me 😀

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 04:02:04 PM »

I just bought Trilogy, by Yngwie and I was like "I thought Mark Boals sang on this; it sounds like Soto!".

Trilogy blows.

JSS's performance on Marching Out is a Top 10 vocal for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 04:35:18 PM »
Agreed re Jeff being a great guy Paul.  I spent 20-30 mins chatting with him in Melbourne on the Lost In Translation tour, whenever that was.   He did back to back shows - a Queen tribute show the first night and his solo show the next and finished with a barnstorming Malmsteen medley.

I cannot believe I didn't get photos but I was a very late adopter with smart phones and still usually leave it at home :)

Yeah I didn’t do photos either. Phones weren’t that smart then 😀

And no, I didn’t get a beer back. He owes me 😀

I have only had a smartphone for a year and that's cause work gave it to me and pay for it.  :tup

I just bought Trilogy, by Yngwie and I was like "I thought Mark Boals sang on this; it sounds like Soto!".

Trilogy blows.

JSS's performance on Marching Out is a Top 10 vocal for me.

I think Trilogy is awesome.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 04:49:01 PM »

I'm sure you do!  ;D

I am definitely not up on my Talisman. Where to start, guys?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 04:53:35 PM »

I'm sure you do!  ;D

I am definitely not up on my Talisman. Where to start, guys?

The debut and Life are probably my two favs.

If you want something live, the Five Men Live is brilliant.  The DVD is fantastic.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 04:56:51 PM »
Cool, Kade. Thanks, bro.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 04:57:40 PM »
Cool, Kade. Thanks, bro.

I'm interested to see what Brent would recommend first too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 06:30:00 PM »
Cool, Kade. Thanks, bro.

I'm interested to see what Brent would recommend first too.

I prepared a Best Of for Chad yonks ago .............wonder if I can find it.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »
Will PM you Tim............in the meantime check out these two and see what you think.  I think the midsection in Humanimal is damn epic.  And if you like some up front bass playing then Marcel Jacob  :hefdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtKKZD0Llzc   = Humanimal

https://youtu.be/nEejbjobCxo?t=302 = Fabricated War

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 06:54:10 PM »
Will PM you Tim............in the meantime check out these two and see what you think.  I think the midsection in Humanimal is damn epic.  And if you like some up front bass playing then Marcel Jacob  :hefdaddy

I'll have to revisit the Humanimal albums. I don't remember giving them as much attention as some of the others.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 07:21:57 PM »

Both of those tracks are great! 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 08:10:59 PM »

I'll have to revisit the Humanimal albums. I don't remember giving them as much attention as some of the others.

They were getting quite diverse there with plenty of ballads and funk etc...but the rockers wail.

The Humanimal Pt 2 album was rare as hen's teeth back in the day - I have an original Jap Only disc but like most of these things they're getting re-released these days and having a copy now means diddly squat :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 10:34:22 PM »
Because of this thread, I went back to listening to the Talisman albums. The debut album would really make you think that JSS can be Steve Perry's replacement in Journey.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 07:58:06 AM »

Trilogy blows.

Wrong answer
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 02:02:31 PM »

Trilogy blows.

Wrong answer
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 02:22:46 PM »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »
Don't worry guys - Tim forgets a lot and just never remembers.  :neverusethis:

I enjoy Trilogy too - not quite up there with the albums either side of it but very good nonetheless.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 02:51:08 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 06:08:30 PM »
Trilogy was so bad, I stopped following Yngwie. I found it to be so lame. I tried it again a few years ago.

Wrong answer

Gord, I tried sending you a PM the other day but your inbox is full. Clean it out and get back to me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 06:09:43 PM »
Don't worry guys - Tim forgets a lot and just never remembers.  :neverusethis:

That was clever.  :natalieportman:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 05:03:23 AM »
Trilogy was so bad, I stopped following Yngwie. I found it to be so lame. I tried it again a few years ago.

Why?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2017, 02:08:35 PM »
I found it lacked the oomph that Marching Out had.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2017, 03:23:24 PM »
I found it lacked the oomph that Marching Out had.

oh

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 04:20:27 PM »
Kade, I was on it when it came out. I found it so lightweight. I immediately moved on. Then that was followed up with the JLT album. Between seeing those horrific promo shots, and hearing Heaven Tonight, I totally ignored Odyssey.  I wouldn't take a chance on an Yngwie album until Eclipse came out, and I basically got it because I was going to see him in a club. TBH, I thought Eclipse sucked too.

Going back, Odyssey is indeed awesome.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 04:49:14 PM »
Kade, I was on it when it came out. I found it so lightweight. I immediately moved on. Then that was followed up with the JLT album. Between seeing those horrific promo shots, and hearing Heaven Tonight, I totally ignored Odyssey.  I wouldn't take a chance on an Yngwie album until Eclipse came out, and I basically got it because I was going to see him in a club. TBH, I thought Eclipse sucked too.

Going back, Odyssey is indeed awesome.

I didn't realise you weren't much of a fan of anything post Marching Out mate.  it's all good.

Odyssey is fantastic though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2017, 05:40:14 PM »
Honestly I didn't even check anything out. It was probably when he did Perpetual Flame, that I ended going back through his discog.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2017, 05:49:41 PM »
Honestly I didn't even check anything out. It was probably when he did Perpetual Flame, that I ended going back through his discog.

Seventh Sign, Magnum Opus and Facing the Animal are worthwhile.  Alchemy is my fav but I know it's not rated very highly with others.