Poll

What's your favorite era for the Scorps?

70's: Lonesome Crow - Lovedrive
12 (44.4%)
80's: Animal Magnetism - Savage Amusement
15 (55.6%)
90's: Crazy World - Eye II Eye
0 (0%)
00's +: Unbreakable - Return to Forever
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Scorpions: your favorite decade/era?  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Zoom E

Re: Scorpions: your favorite decade/era?
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2021, 10:24:09 PM »
My first Scorpions show was in 82, with Iron Maiden and Girlschool in support. That was a cracker of a show.

That's awesome Zoom. I saw Girlschool open or Deep  Purplein '84.

Nice. I saw that tour too. The only time I ever saw Deep Purple.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2021, 04:21:59 AM »
My first Scorpions show was in 82, with Iron Maiden and Girlschool in support. That was a cracker of a show.

Blackmore is my favorite musician of all time, and I had tickets to that '84 show (it was actually Feb. '85); except my high school hockey team made the state tournament for the first time ever (nothing great; all you had to be was .500) and the first game was the same night.  I was one of four defensemen (though we had two forwards who played a LOT of defense as well; let's not beat around the bush: I sucked) and I was considering going, but two of the defensemen got caught with weed and were disqualified.  It wasn't really necessary, but my dad gave me the "This Is Us" dad talk about "responsibility" and "commitment" so I figured, "I'll catch them next time!".  Even though they played CT on the Blue Light and S&M tours, I never got to see Purple with Blackmore. 

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2021, 10:29:36 AM »

Blackmore is my favorite musician of all time, and I had tickets to that '84 show (it was actually Feb. '85); except my high school hockey team made the state tournament for the first time ever (nothing great; all you had to be was .500) and the first game was the same night.  I was one of four defensemen (though we had two forwards who played a LOT of defense as well; let's not beat around the bush: I sucked) and I was considering going, but two of the defensemen got caught with weed and were disqualified.  It wasn't really necessary, but my dad gave me the "This Is Us" dad talk about "responsibility" and "commitment" so I figured, "I'll catch them next time!".  Even though they played CT on the Blue Light and S&M tours, I never got to see Purple with Blackmore.

That hurts. You alway figure there will be a next time, but that isn’t always the case.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2021, 10:33:48 AM »

That hurts. You alway figure there will be a next time, but that isn’t always the case.

Yeah. I had a real chance to see Gilmour solo in 2015 for Rattle That Lock tour, but he announced his tour too late in the year when I already had tickets to Ayreon's The Theater Equation. Gilmour is probably my favourite guitarist and I haven't seen him live yet, and I don't think there'll be another chance.

That being said, I'm glad I saw Blackmore with Blackmore's Night in 2013 or 2014 (don't really remember), and I'm glad I saw Jon Lord live around the same time.

With these thoughts I bought a ticket to Iron Maiden for 2020 (never saw them live before) but you can guess how that turned out.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2021, 11:38:13 AM »
I've since seen him three times with Blackmore's Night.  It's not the same, but it's better in a way.  I've been front row twice (in a 500 seat theater), and got to shake his hand after one show.   I got to exchange a few short words (basically, "thank you") with Candace, who was very kind in her reply.  Still like to have my face blistered off with Strat and a pile of Marshalls, but this is a good second best.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2021, 05:01:59 PM »

Yup.  Same thing happened to me seeing DT on the BCSL tour.  I wasn't into Maiden at the time, so didn't see them opening for Maiden (big mistake!).  Didn't want to see Prog Nation either.  I was waiting for the "proper" headlining tour in the U.S., and there didn't end up being one.  But obviously, that isn't nearly as big a deal as missing Blackmore with Purple, since that ship permanently sailed. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2021, 09:07:58 PM »
Same thing happened to me seeing DT on the BCSL tour.  I wasn't into Maiden at the time, so didn't see them opening for Maiden (big mistake!).  Didn't want to see Prog Nation either.
I'm basically in the same boat as you with regards to the BCaSL tour - I did see them on the last PN09 date in the states (LA), but that was it - normally I would catch them several times on the same tour. I too was waiting for the proper headlining tour which early on was planned to happen, but at some point they decided to skip it and take the summer off. Of course, later they accepted the opening slot for Maiden when offered to them. Was on the fence about going to the Maiden/DT show since it was several hours away and ultimately opted not to. Had I known MP would be leaving the band in a couple of months, I would've gone to the show, and maybe even joined a friend to road trip up to their headlining gig in Oregon. Hindsight's 20/20.  :-\
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2021, 09:41:07 PM »
Yup.  Heck, I would have loved to have joined you if that were the case.  Which reminds me, we HAVE TO do a meetup again if you are ever back remotely close and there is a show we are both interested in (or, even if there isn't a show, for that matter).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2021, 11:27:14 PM »
...and maybe even joined a friend to road trip up to their headlining gig in Oregon. Hindsight's 20/20.  :-\

Stumbled in to this thread, not sure why, I don't listen to Scorpions. Just saw this though, and thought that was an amazing show. When I saw them open for IM the next night, I was so underwhelmed because I was still coming off the high from the previous night, I just wanted them to get off the stage so Maiden could play.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2021, 02:14:10 PM »
Yup.  Heck, I would have loved to have joined you if that were the case.  Which reminds me, we HAVE TO do a meetup again if you are ever back remotely close and there is a show we are both interested in (or, even if there isn't a show, for that matter).
Absolutely! Can't believe it's almost been 11 years since we caught that TA show - far too long!

...and maybe even joined a friend to road trip up to their headlining gig in Oregon. Hindsight's 20/20.  :-\
Stumbled in to this thread, not sure why, I don't listen to Scorpions. Just saw this though, and thought that was an amazing show. When I saw them open for IM the next night, I was so underwhelmed because I was still coming off the high from the previous night, I just wanted them to get off the stage so Maiden could play.
That's hilarious! But I can see why - having caught a small club gig with a full set, then seeing them the following night with a heavy "hits" type abbreviated set, probably from a significant distance paled in comparison!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2021, 02:28:30 PM »
Voted 80s but I love Tokyo Tapes and listened to it today. And I also loved Crazy World.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2021, 10:36:12 AM »
I know Opeth does these 'tributes' all the time, but I just realized that Persephone is a rip of that last section of Born to Touch Your Feelings. :hat
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa