Author Topic: Holy cow, I think my heart stopped for a second....  (Read 1717 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Holy cow, I think my heart stopped for a second....
« on: November 11, 2017, 01:51:57 PM »
https://youtu.be/HnCU20Cu0fs

Both scary and impressive, those brakes and his reaction time is damn impressive! Hopefully those kids got a valuable life lesson.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Holy cow, I think my heart stopped for a second....
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 01:57:21 PM »
That almost looked not real. I didn't think a truck that size could stop on a dime that fast, especially when hooked up to a 48 or 53 foot trailer (can't tell which from the angle).  Wow.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 02:00:36 PM »
 :omg:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 04:33:38 PM »
That almost looked not real. I didn't think a truck that size could stop on a dime that fast, especially when hooked up to a 48 or 53 foot trailer (can't tell which from the angle).  Wow.
Yea it's pretty amazing, actually it never occurred to me it could be fake but I don't think it is. My guess would be that he might be transporting an empty trailer.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:48:12 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 04:43:58 PM »
Volvo could put this in a commercial. Also, nice reaction time from the POV guy too with the honking.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 05:32:40 PM »
JEEEEEZUS fucking christ. That....yeah, that could have been nasty. That was inches or less away from a really horrible death.

He/she will probably freak out and remember it for a week/months and then go back to running in front of cars though.  :| (I don't say this to be pessimistic or gloomy, but because more often than not people don't remember shit like this for that long. There's a quote somewhere about almost dying with no injury and "actually almost dying", but it escapes me)

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 05:52:17 PM »
Volvo could put this in a commercial. Also, nice reaction time from the POV guy too with the honking.
Yea that's the best advertisement for a Volvo truck ever.  :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 06:08:16 PM »
Good reaction time from that driver, and if the kid hadn't changed directions, he/she still would've gotten nailed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 06:19:37 PM »
Good reaction time from that driver, and if the kid hadn't changed directions, he/she still would've gotten nailed.

True. I suspect the driver was already slowing down a tad and had his foot on the brake once he saw the bus and kids getting off it.

Yea it's pretty amazing, actually it never occurred to me it could be fake but I don't think it is. My guess would be that he might be transporting an empty trailer.

Very possible. Those trailers can haul up to 44-45K worth of freight, so that is a significant difference when it comes to be able to stop quickly.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 07:44:22 PM »
Wow!! Incredibly amazing video.

Volvo's trucks are amazing, look at this video displaying their braking tech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ridS396W2BY

Also their driver stability is nuts, this is an old vid but real and pretty amazing in itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FIvfx5J10

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 10:06:25 PM »
 :omg:
Wow... both kid and driver have my respect....

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 01:45:07 AM »
THis Volvo has amazing brakes i know i drove one myself ,the newer types have some sort of brake assistent that makes an emergency stop when it detects something when it gets to close in front of it.This one was probaly not heavy loaded or empty
It's an good system on the other hand i don't know if you know the idiots who want to take an exit just before you and hit the brakes,the Volvo reacts to that as well.I've seen footage of another truck who drove in the back of the volvo's trailer,just imagine what would've happen if there was a car with family in it ..........

Offline T-ski

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 07:27:25 AM »
there is a reason kids are supposed to cross in front of the bus and not the back.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 08:12:24 AM »
there is a reason kids are supposed to cross in front of the bus and not the back.

And there's a reason why (at least in Canada), traffic in both directions is required to stop for school busses.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 10:34:52 AM »
It's tee same here, but people will ignore that shit all the time. I think it's a very hefty fine to ignore the school bus stop sign... (quick search shows $250 fine, 1point to the record and a 6 month suspension)

Edit- a California specific search shows a 1k fine and a possible 1 year suspension.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 11:19:05 AM »
A Volvo truck can stop that short, and if it's a new model it'll do it without driver intervention. In this demo video the truck's only doing about 36mph, but I'm not sure the truck in the OP vid is going that much faster. He damn well shouldn't have been between the curve and the school bus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ridS396W2BY

So I'm pretty sure this is perfectly plausible, even if the truck were loaded. However, it's so amazingly opportune that I'm not at all willing to say that Volvo didn't stage the whole thing.

And if I'm in charge I'm firing the bus driver. Should have let the kids cross in front. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 01:07:52 PM »
No way that is staged. There's a kid about to be killed. Unless it's film trickery.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 06:27:17 PM »
Yeah, that's for real and should definitely be a Volvo commercial :lol
And yes, the bus driver should have made the kids cross in front and stayed there til they crossed... even if the law there is that both sides of traffic stop, the bus had already started driving away when the kid crossed, so...
Man, kids and their stupid undeveloped brains. Can't we just keep them leashed at all times?
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 06:48:10 PM »

Man, kids and their stupid undeveloped brains. Can't we just keep them leashed at all times?

I would be willing to bet I've told my three sons literally 500 times to ALWAYS look both ways before they cross the street....yet....inevitably I will see them continually just dart across our subdivision street to go play with their buddies  :facepalm:  Thankfully most of the drivers that live here are respectful and drive slow and are on alert but still....it's unreal how they refuse to just remember the simplest instruction at times.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 08:42:10 PM »
And they don't get much brighter in their teen years!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 08:47:03 PM »
And they don't get much brighter in their teen years!

Livin' the life!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 12:11:26 PM »
Damn. Wrong thread.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson