Poll

your thoughts on 0:00 to 3:48 on octavarium.

i like it as is
i like it, but skip over it often
i would like the song better if it wasn't there
i hate this part

Author Topic: your thoughts on the introducing instrumental section to octavarium  (Read 12349 times)

Online The Letter M

Re: your thoughts on the introducing instrumental section to octavarium
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2010, 01:27:27 PM »
I have to listen to the intro. It makes the song complete. But if you really want the full experience then start with Scenes From A Memory, go right into Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, followed by Train Of Thought, and ending with Octavarium...and then listen to "The Root Of All Evil" to get the full circle experience

Fixed!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2010, 01:39:10 PM »
I like it, probably one of the better parts of the song, which is wayyyy down the list of DT songs I love. I think it's okay. But that's all. And I've never understood the hysterical love for it...
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline darkshade

« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2010, 01:40:04 PM »
I have to listen to the intro. It makes the song complete. But if you really want the full experience then start with Scenes From A Memory, go right into Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, followed by Train Of Thought, and ending with Octavarium...and then listen to "The Root Of All Evil" to get the full circle experience

Fixed!

-Marc.

niice!  :tup it's very true, too

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »
why do you guys skip over PARTS of one track?  :facepalm:
Because they don't like it.

how can you honestly say you're a prog rock/metal fan, but say that you skip over large portions of a bands epic?  :\
What does the one have to do with the other?

Why should anyone listen to music they don't like?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2010, 02:08:14 PM »

then why do they listen to the song?

how can you honestly say you're a prog rock/metal fan, but say that you skip over large portions of a bands epic?  :\

if you were to skip to the part when the whole band enters (the main meolody of 8OV) the power of it is kind of lost, without the building atmospheric intro. It's like skipping the atmospheric part of TCOT and going right to the acoustic section. Why?

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2010, 02:10:16 PM »

I can see both sides of the argument here, and with the intro to Octavarium I can see why some would do this (even though I personally wouldn't). But you could strawman this argument to say that it's fine for people to skip Intervals, which is still just a section of the song, and they wouldn't have any less enjoyment from the song, which personally I think cannot be true, even if they hate Intervals I genuinely think it's needed to enjoy 8VM fully. But then I suppose this is all completely subjective, so that argument is kind of moot.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2010, 02:18:46 PM »

How can they say they're fans? Because they enjoy parts of the music. Pretty simple.

*coming from someone who adores the 8V intro*

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2010, 03:22:21 PM »

then why do they listen to the song?

if you were to skip to the part when the whole band enters (the main meolody of 8OV) the power of it is kind of lost, without the building atmospheric intro. It's like skipping the atmospheric part of TCOT and going right to the acoustic section. Why?
Why not?  The "power" of it is already lost if they don't like it.  So again, why should anyone listen to music they don't like?

And more importantly, why did you bold that entire post?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2010, 03:35:25 PM »
There should be a vote for, "I Freakin love it"!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »
All important posts should be in bold font.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2010, 04:48:42 PM »
All important posts should be in bold font.
:lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2010, 05:34:35 PM »
I skip to the next song after the "peaceful sedation" section in "A Nightmare to Remember," therefore I can't call myself a fan of metal or prog music, I'm unseasoned, and I support terrorism.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2010, 05:42:09 PM »
I'm not in love with it, but it's a solid intro, and I don't skip it. The version on Score is just too much sometimes, though.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2010, 05:43:26 PM »
I skip to the next song after the "peaceful sedation" section in "A Nightmare to Remember," therefore I can't call myself a fan of metal or prog music, I'm unseasoned, and I support terrorism.

There, now you're seasoned like the rest of us.  ;)

Anyway, I actually like that part. I admit with most songs I'll skip around to the part I like, but with this one I've always enjoyed listening from the beginning to the end. It's not that I love it or anything. It's just kind've hard to enjoy it when I don't hear the whole song.  :-\

Offline darkshade

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2010, 07:11:36 PM »
haha first off i put the font in bold so you could tell i was responding to one of the posted questions  :yarr

anyway, im not trying to start arguments, i guess you do what you want with your music. i just dont like when people skip over parts of songs (my friends do it all the time, and they listen to a lot of hip hop (which i enjoy, to an extent) and theyll skip the first 15 seconds of a song so they can get right to the beat, but the buildup to the beat is what makes me bop my head when the beat eventually comes in

idk, just a little pet peeve i have

Offline darkshade

« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2010, 07:12:55 PM »

Anyway, I actually like that part. I admit with most songs I'll skip around to the part I like, but with this one I've always enjoyed listening from the beginning to the end. It's not that I love it or anything. It's just kind've hard to enjoy it when I don't hear the whole song.  :-\

what about pepprika?  ;)

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2010, 07:16:27 PM »

what about pepprika?  ;)

Better?  ;)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2010, 08:37:55 PM »
The intro is essential to the song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2010, 08:56:51 PM »
The intro sets up the tension for medicate perfectly, so its absolutely necessary to listen to it imo
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2010, 04:02:58 AM »

what about pepprika?  ;)

Better?  ;)

yes very much  ;D