Author Topic: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album **DO NOT POST LINKS**  (Read 84873 times)

Offline ChuckSteak

If you pull your phone out and film entire songs or concerts, you're ruining the show for everyone around you. Don't be that guy. We all paid the same ticket price, you don't have a right to ruin my experience so you can upload terrible quality videos to YouTube or brag to your indifferent friends on Facebook.

How on earth is someone having their phone out ruining your concert experience? As long as they are not blocking your view of the stage, WTF do you care? They paid as much for their ticket as you did, and if they want to whip out their phone, so what?
If they are not blocking your view, you can be sure that they are blocking someone else's. And I don't think that someone else is enjoying getting his view blocked. People who film all the time during concert just show that they don't give a shit about other people behind them. Not only are they missing the concert themselves, they are ruining it for other people too.

Offline Architeuthis

If you pull your phone out and film entire songs or concerts, you're ruining the show for everyone around you. Don't be that guy. We all paid the same ticket price, you don't have a right to ruin my experience so you can upload terrible quality videos to YouTube or brag to your indifferent friends on Facebook.

How on earth is someone having their phone out ruining your concert experience? As long as they are not blocking your view of the stage, WTF do you care? They paid as much for their ticket as you did, and if they want to whip out their phone, so what?
If they are not blocking your view, you can be sure that they are blocking someone else's. And I don't think that someone else is enjoying getting his view blocked. People who film all the time during concert just show that they don't give a shit about other people behind them. Not only are they missing the concert themselves, they are ruining it for other people too.
Agreed 100%. That should be common courtesy, and common sense..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you

So because they paid as much for a ticket its cool there arm is over there head filming right in front of me?? That's the criteria? I think it blows.When I'm standing on a floor with 1000 people and a million arms are in over there heads filming you see lit up phone screens everywhere. It DOES ruin the experience as much as the moron in a dark movie theater playing on his phone instead of watching the movie. I applaud any artist who tries to implement a no phone policy.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Peter Mc

Plus the fact that many of these crappy videos are not just for that persons own consumption. People post this stuff on YouTube and then “fans” who don’t actually pay to see them jump all over James LaBrie and what a terrible live singer he is even though they’ve never actually seen the band live. If I was DT and saw the shit JLB gets as a result of these poor quality recordings, I wouldn’t allow it either.

Offline Evai

If I was DT and saw the shit JLB gets as a result of these poor quality recordings, I wouldn’t allow it either.

Wacken 15 wasn't a cell phone recording though ;) (Although I guess it's still an unauthorized rip of an unmixed live broadcast)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Peter Mc

Chaos In Motion and Once In A Livetime were official releases and I can’t listen to them due to the vocals so I’m not saying he’s perfect (although he has always ranged from good to great whenever I’ve seen them live). I’m just saying why let fans film the show on phones if they’re going to post it online and slate the band? If fans were respectful and/or kept their recordings private as their own memento of the show then it may be different.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
It's not that simple though..

Why not let people film properly and upload whatever they want so people that cannot pay a ticket to see them, or just can't (because they aren't always playing near you) are able to see it through the screen?.. Because, in the end, they're only doing that, and it can't be compared to seeing the real deal.. And, about the comments, you can always avoid the comments section (and the video, since you didn't "pay to see them" either so why would you watch it in the first place :lol)

It's the problem with free will... some rules might be fair for some, but unfair for others at the same time..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline bill1971

So because they paid as much for a ticket its cool there arm is over there head filming right in front of me?? That's the criteria? I think it blows.When I'm standing on a floor with 1000 people and a million arms are in over there heads filming you see lit up phone screens everywhere. It DOES ruin the experience as much as the moron in a dark movie theater playing on his phone instead of watching the movie. I applaud any artist who tries to implement a no phone policy.

Who do you see concerts with, millipedes?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:10:40 AM by bill1971 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I am not condoning in any way anyone blocking your view. But just cuz they're there? Get over it.  :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

I think in all the concerts I've been to, not once, I have had the issues of having cell phones out throughout the show hindering my enjoyment of the shows.  Mainly I was taking it all in the atmosphere and listening to the bands and not really care too much of what people do around me (thankfully, I have yet to go to a metal show, so I don't have to worry about looking out to avoid mosh pits).

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member

Who do you see concerts with, millipedes?
Yes, and mostly Beatles tribute bands. :neverusethis:

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member

I am not condoning in any way anyone blocking your view. But just cuz they're there? Get over it.  :P
Just cause whats there? I'm confused? I mean why do I have to like a bunch of lit up phone screens?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:02:54 PM by Tick »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Tac, Tick, TAC, Tick...

toe
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I'm less in peoples way when taking photos than other times.
I clap my hands, wave them high, horns out etc.... when taking photos they are closer to my head.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
I remember on the Along For The Ride Tour, the show in Burnsville, MN where the venue had no policy on recording concerts or taking photos, and DT wasn't actively enforcing it on the tour, I was wearing a t-shirt with a pocket on it. I'm 6 ft 4 with my shoes on, so I was able to have my phone in the pocket with the camera part sticking out so I was able to record some songs on video. Midway through Illumination Theory, a security guy comes up by our aisle and tells me I'd best stop recording.

How the hell did he know I was recording!  :lol

I remember reading that other shows on the tour were strict no photos or recordings even though DT was having a contest on their Facebook page for people to post the best Live Photos. The Astonishing Tour, I remember people getting yelled at for taking photos before the show of the stage and one guy even got kicked out, which I think is a tad bit rough. I mean, I get it, but to kick someone out before the show even begins! That seems extreme, now the guy is out whatever money he spent just for taking photos of an empty stage
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I remember on the Along For The Ride Tour, the show in Burnsville, MN where the venue had no policy on recording concerts or taking photos, and DT wasn't actively enforcing it on the tour, I was wearing a t-shirt with a pocket on it. I'm 6 ft 4 with my shoes on, so I was able to have my phone in the pocket with the camera part sticking out so I was able to record some songs on video. Midway through Illumination Theory, a security guy comes up by our aisle and tells me I'd best stop recording.

How the hell did he know I was recording!  :lol

I remember reading that other shows on the tour were strict no photos or recordings even though DT was having a contest on their Facebook page for people to post the best Live Photos. The Astonishing Tour, I remember people getting yelled at for taking photos before the show of the stage and one guy even got kicked out, which I think is a tad bit rough. I mean, I get it, but to kick someone out before the show even begins! That seems extreme, now the guy is out whatever money he spent just for taking photos of an empty stage

He's obviously a time traveling member of this forum.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Forum rules apply to this release.  Please do not share, offer to share, or post about links.  Further posts on that subject will be cause for banning from the forum.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Anxiety35

So, is this an official thing? I just did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yes.  As I said here (and in following posts):  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=51176.msg2429740#msg2429740

I had also changed the thread title to reflect that as well.  I thought it was explicit, but I will add a message into the original post to clarify as well.  Please do not share. 

Offline Anxiety35

Thanks!

Offline dparrott

Wow, that Budokan show is pretty bad.  They'll have to pitch correct the hell out of it to release it.  Just stay in your lane man, he may be able to hit higher notes in the studio, but he needs to make more adjustments live.  Maybe not tour so much?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline gzarruk

Wow, that Budokan show is pretty bad.  They'll have to pitch correct the hell out of it to release it.  Just stay in your lane man, he may be able to hit higher notes in the studio, but he needs to make more adjustments live.  Maybe not tour so much?

I think it would help him a lot if DT started to tour with an opening act again, so their sets would be a bit shorter and easier to get through each night.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

I think it would help him a lot if DT started to tour with an opening act again, so their sets would be a bit shorter and easier to get through each night.

Or they could not and instead give us new instrumedlies, Stream of Consciousness, extended Beyond This Life, Finally Free with an extended outro, Octavarium with an obnoxiously long intro, Hell's Kitchen, Erotomania, and a 10 minute drum and keyboard solo.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think they need a support act to help build their audience.  They aren't gaining new fans playing to the same people every tour.  From a selfish perspective, I'd love to see more instrumental jams in their live show if they were to continue doing the evening with format.  I feel like a lot of what Chino mentioned is a reason why I love the original Live at Budokan concert.

Offline mikeyd23

I think they need a support act to help build their audience.  They aren't gaining new fans playing to the same people every tour.  From a selfish perspective, I'd love to see more instrumental jams in their live show if they were to continue doing the evening with format.  I feel like a lot of what Chino mentioned is a reason why I love the original Live at Budokan concert.

Yeah I selfishly would like to see both. I'd like them to bring one opener out on the road to help draw more folks and I think this would be easy now given the roster on their new label. Tons of good options for openers that would fit while also drawing some of their own fans.

But at the same time, like cram and Chino, I love the instrumental songs, the extended jams, the solos (Live at Budokan style stuff). If they have an opener play for 30 minutes or so, they still be able to have long enough sets to do that stuff, but be a little less taxing on James.

Offline gzarruk

Yeah I selfishly would like to see both. I'd like them to bring one opener out on the road to help draw more folks and I think this would be easy now given the roster on their new label. Tons of good options for openers that would fit while also drawing some of their own fans.

But at the same time, like cram and Chino, I love the instrumental songs, the extended jams, the solos (Live at Budokan style stuff). If they have an opener play for 30 minutes or so, they still be able to have long enough sets to do that stuff, but be a little less taxing on James.

Well, medleys are definitely not going to happen anymore, since Petrucci doesn't like them (and I agree with him), and it's not like they have that many instrumental songs to add to every set from now on. The extended jams are cool every once in a while, but they can't do it for most songs on the show, it would get old very quickly.

On the other hand, now that they're with IO, there's a lot of cool bands they can take on tour as opening acts, like Fates Warning or Haken.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pcs90

I don't think the point is to add an extended jam for most every song...just some of them. It would really help give some variety to the otherwise static set lists not to mention it'd let James have more breaks.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
I won't be sharing links, but I did come across what appears to be the entire live show.  The following info was attached:

"This is a pro-shot of the company WOWOW japan, the same was broadcast on television. It was rumored that DT was going to release an official DVD of this, but it was not what they expected after mixing and editing errors (Labrie's performance was ruined in almost its entirety with a badly applied autotune for example) among other things. It is difficult to get this because now it is just like an unofficial DVD of the bunch, but I have decided to share it with you so that it is not forgotten."

I wonder if there's any validity to the statement.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
There isn't. Wowow is a TV-channel, the production was only meant for japanese tv, never for distribution as a live album or dvd/bluray.

Yes, there is an audio issue with the vocal channel, where it sounds like it's out of phase. Hard to fix. It's not nearly as much pitch correction as people seem to think (you can compare it with the audience sourced bootleg that exists).

I have made DT aware that there is a certain amount of demand for it, and this is part of the reason why it's now not legal to share it - as they are planning to release it at some point. Unfortunately, such releases do take time, and while that happens we play "whack-a-mole" for those who upload the tv-recording.

Offline gzarruk

I know it takes time for them to release these things, but I wish they’d at least say something, since the whole thing is already out there and being shared by many people in social media.

Offline Skeever

There's so much processing on that 2017 Japanese pro shot thing that James' is voice does not even sound human

Offline Peter Mc

To be honest, if it’s substandard, I hope they don’t bother releasing it.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
To be honest, if it’s substandard, I hope they don’t bother releasing it.
I personally think it's awesome. I think the Japanese production company did a great job - they cut to some awesome shots from inside the crowd, which looks really great, as well as some cool HD non-gopro shots that look straight down from the rafters above Mangini, which is another cool angle that I don't think we've had before (not to my recollection at least). From what I've heard, some of the weird vocal parts just kind of sound like there's a chorus effect on James's voice (unless there's something really bad that I haven't heard yet), which actually gives off a cool sound in my opinion. Based on what I've seen so far, I like it better than LALP, but maybe just not as much as BTFW.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios