Author Topic: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album **DO NOT POST LINKS**  (Read 84879 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I was right up against the stage at the Reno show on the second leg of the Astonishing tour, and the front of the stage was lined with printed signs saying no pics or video. 

That is total bullshit. (Not your story  ;D, but the fact that they actually did that.)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

The no phone policy is starting to hurt bands.  A Perfect Circle is constantly getting destroyed on social media for their strict policy.  Apparently the Misfits concert I am going to will have a really strict policy too that has social media in a storm.  It really makes people mad and turn on their favorite bands and leaves people with the feeling that "if they don't want people taking video, it's because their performance sucks".  I don't personally like the policy but it doesn't stop me from going to see my favorite bands.  I am curious about this Misfits show though and how it'll work.

I don't understand why it's such a big deal that people get this angry and feel the need to trash bands over it.  Is it really so much to ask that people just watch the show? 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I mean, I get not wanting people to have their phones out, but once you start confiscating them at the door, that's where I'd draw the line, too. Screw that.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I have no problem whatsoever with a band having a no pics/video policy, and I can't imagine getting bent out of shape over it as a fan.  But that said, bands need to realize that a good number of fans WILL get bent out of shape over it.  The guys in DT (well, specifically, JP--I have no idea how others feel about it) HATE cell phones at shows.  But they put up with it and haven't banned them outside of the TA tour because they do understand that it makes fans mad.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have no problem whatsoever with a band having a no pics/video policy, and I can't imagine getting bent out of shape over it as a fan. 

Well a band can do whatever the hell they want, right. I can understand them (not pointing this at DT, but as a general statement) not wanting to be filmed, but a no pic policy, to me, makes me nuts. At the end of the day, a fan wants their own little souvenir, and maybe they don't want to pay $40 for a shirt. hell, they already paid $65+ to get in in the first place.

Having cell phones at shows, frankly , is part of the fan experience now. I'm a fogey, and even I understand that.  But at the end of the day, it's about fans sharing their experiences to others. Hell, they may get them interested to go out a buy an album, or buy a concert ticket the next tour.

JP seems like an awesome guy. He really does, but he obviously forgot what it feels like to be a fan. We bought a ticket for the damn show, for God's sakes.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:32:18 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

Sorry for asking something on a completely different topic: Considering an Astonishing Live DVD NOT happening:
Maybe there was a problem with the band now being under contract with InsideOut? Could it be possible that they can't release the Astonishing material on a live DVD because it was a RoadRunner-album?

Unless the band's contract with RR was VERY unusual, the fact that TA was released by Roadrunner would have nothing at all to do with IO releasing a live album or video containing some or all of the songs from TA.  At the risk of going too deep into the minutiae of copyright law:  Under normal circumstances, the only thing that the record company owns are the copyrights in the sound recordings contained on its releases.  The songwriter(s), on the other hand, retain the musical composition copyrights.  If someone wants to record and release a live performance of, e.g., The Gift of Music, that person will need a license from the writers of that song (JP and JR) or the publishing entity to whom the songwriters have assigned their rights.  No license is needed from RR.  On the other hand, if someone wanted to sample a clip from The Gift of Music, licenses would be needed from both JP/JR/their publishing entities and RR.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I have no problem whatsoever with a band having a no pics/video policy, and I can't imagine getting bent out of shape over it as a fan. 

Well a band can do whatever the hell they want, right. I can understand them (not pointing this at DT, but as a general statement) not wanting to be filmed, but a no pic policy, to me, makes me nuts. At the end of the day, a fan wants their own little souvenir, and maybe they don't want to pay $40 for a shirt. hell, they already paid $65+ to get in in the first place.

Having cell phones at shows, frankly , is part of the fan experience now. I'm a fogey, and even I understand that.

Well, then I think you are forgetting that a LOT of bands and venues had similar policies in the '80s.  This isn't some new thing.  Notwithstanding all those great shots you have from shows, there's a reason your camera probably smelled of crotch, and that the bulge in your pants during the security patdown at the doors wasn't because you were happy to see the guards.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Having cell phones at shows, frankly , is part of the fan experience now. I'm a fogey, and even I understand that.

Well, then I think you are forgetting that a LOT of bands and venues had similar policies in the '80s.  This isn't some new thing.  Notwithstanding all those great shots you have from shows, there's a reason your camera probably smelled of crotch, and that the bulge in your pants during the security patdown at the doors wasn't because you were happy to see the guards.

:lol

True on both accounts. there's a reason they wore gloves at the PhotoMat.

On point though...I just think the world changes. The only place in the 80's you could get pictures of a band was a magazine that had to pay the band for the pictures.  But these days, that horse has long left the barn, no? I just think that bands should recognize that taking a picture at a concert you go to is a neat thing for a fan. Especially with social media and whatnot. To me, it's free pub. What is it really costing the band to allow that?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
:lol  I hear you.  I'm not arguing against pics at shows per se.  I'm just saying that if that is what bands want, I get it.  Personally, I have mixed feelings.  I don't take pics at shows anymore, but I get why others do.  Heck, at another DT show where the venue tried to ban phones (but the band didn't, as far as I know), I was helping out a girl up against the barrier who was taking video by bird-dogging the roving security guy for her.  But if bands don't want their stuff getting out because they don't want to ruin the surprise, they don't feel phone vids on YouTube provide a good representation of the live setting, or they just think it's more respectful to the fans trying to watch the show to not have someone's phone shoved in their line of sight while people take 30 minute videos, I get it, and I support that as well. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Especially with social media and whatnot. To me, it's free pub. What is it really costing the band to allow that?

I think a lot of newer younger bands understand this value.  It's a generational thing IMO.  Most younger bands have a stronger and more interactive social media presence and have accepted that this is what it is.  You can't take the phones out of peoples hands who were born with them there essentially (well you can, but that causes the uproar).  If you can't beat em, join em and use them to your advantage.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
On topic, I think TAC needs to change his profile personal text to "My camera smells of crotch"

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Or "Gagging PhotoMat techs since 1982."
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
How do we know his crotch doesn't smell like camera??   :justjen
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'd post my..um...link, but it says right in the title that I can't!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I don't think that's what "hot link" means, TAC.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ahh..gotcha. :tup

:lol

Offline Architeuthis

Like somebody said earlier in this thread. They may be hesitant to release this show if JLB had a bad night. I'd still buy it anyway because I like JLB if he's spot on or not. As long as it is not as bad as Chaos in Motion, we should be ok..  :facepalm:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Missed the HK video before it got snipped, but I'm glad that the band might be considering doing something legitimate with the Wowo show beyond its initial Japanese broadcast.   If they don't, bootlegs will likely get out there one way or another eventually, but I'd prefer an "official-release-quality" product that the band benefits from too.

Online MirrorMask

I see this "pic at shows" thing like the Napster thing, something new that comes along and takes some time to get adjusted to. Metallica sued Napster, Iron Maiden in 2003 when premiering a new song at shows said "Record it, upload it, do whatever you want with it, we don't care, just buy the album when it comes out if you like the song".

Same things with pics, I respect the band's desire in this sense, and I get their frustration "Are you even listening to the song and enjoying yourself or are you just showing off to your friends at home that you're at a show???", but there are also people like me who are amateur photographers and like to have decent memories of a show. Hell, it's no comparison to big bands like DT, but the little I've did as a photographer in the underground scene around me was thanks to pics taken and posted online and some bands eventually granting me to be in the photo pit at an outdoor gig or whatever.

As a lover of photography I also find ironic how in some places they don't want cameras, but accept phones. I went in Switzerland to see Wardruna and my camera was confiscated at the door. But people used cellphones, and the best ones have an absolutely great camera, and no one seemed to care.

I saw it reported here, probably, that James once at a show said something like "Hey, come on, I don't say 'Don't take pics', take three or four, but then enjoy the show and live in the moment". Like Maiden back in the 2003 this could be the way to go, acknowledge that the audience will do whatever they want, but politely make them think "Do you really need to take 700 pics of the show all the time???"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
I can appreciate a good quality Youtube audience video, but the amount of crap video's that gets put on there is ridiculous. I'm used to it now to see a dosen arms go up at a concert with a phone in them, but it used to piss me off to no end. My phone always takes crap pics at concerts, so I don't even bother anymore.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
I LOVE :heart a no phones at concerts policy. Its freaking awesome to watch a show standing on a floor without a million arms in the air taking video.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Pebsie

Marillion always have their sound guy come out before a show to tell people not to use their phones, and everyone cheers. If you pull your phone out and film entire songs or concerts, you're ruining the show for everyone around you. Don't be that guy. We all paid the same ticket price, you don't have a right to ruin my experience so you can upload terrible quality videos to YouTube or brag to your indifferent friends on Facebook.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I've said this in the past...

I used to be the guy who tried to record shit and / or take a bunch of photos during shows.

Now I just snap a photo or 2 before the lights go down, and maybe 4-5 fast photos during the show (Like Phone out, tap to focus, tap to take photo, phone back in pocket)

I cant stand people with their phones in the air the entire time.

The one exception was for Roger Waters last year, as my GF and I were literally in the far back nosebleeds with 3 rows behind us... but were up against the rail and basically would hold our phones down against the rail for photos. Worth It.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I also don't get the filming a whole video thing. I had a friend who used to sneak in a camera in concerts and record whole songs. I honestly never understood why you would watch something on a screen, and a tiny one, when you can see it with your own eyes and unfiltered.
Anyways, Down here the crowd kind of controls the cell phone thing when it's a standing venue. If someone starts filming the people that are right behind will tell the person to put the phone down so they can see. If the person doesn't put the phone down a little bit of shoving will do the trick. Is it the best option? No, it's a bit "violent" but it usually works and doesn't escalate.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Evai

Pics are fine. Videos...The only thing I like about people recording everything on their phone, is that you can see how overdubbed official releases are. Other than that I don't see the point, I don't find the videos fun to watch/listen to. It's akin to camcorder recordings of movies at the cinema
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I'm really surprised phones don't yet have a "concert mode". There's no reason why someone needs 4.7"-6"+ of screen real estate when trying to record a concert. I don't understand why the majority of the screen can't stay black while a 1"x1" square in the corner shows what's being filmed. It'd be a lot easier on the eyes of those behind the person filming.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I'm really surprised phones don't yet have a "concert mode". There's no reason why someone needs 4.7"-6"+ of screen real estate when trying to record a concert. I don't understand why the majority of the screen can't stay black while a 1"x1" square in the corner shows what's being filmed. It'd be a lot easier on the eyes of those behind the person filming.

Man, this would be great.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
You know, it's possible to turn the light off on the screen to almost black. that's what I do during concerts. much less intrusive.. ;)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
You know, it's possible to turn the light off on the screen to almost black. that's what I do during concerts. much less intrusive.. ;)

Yea, as do I, but Chino's got a good idea.  The screen natively still can't go completely dark while recording, which would be a nice feature and would help.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
If you pull your phone out and film entire songs or concerts, you're ruining the show for everyone around you. Don't be that guy. We all paid the same ticket price, you don't have a right to ruin my experience so you can upload terrible quality videos to YouTube or brag to your indifferent friends on Facebook.

How on earth is someone having their phone out ruining your concert experience? As long as they are not blocking your view of the stage, WTF do you care? They paid as much for their ticket as you did, and if they want to whip out their phone, so what?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
If you pull your phone out and film entire songs or concerts, you're ruining the show for everyone around you. Don't be that guy. We all paid the same ticket price, you don't have a right to ruin my experience so you can upload terrible quality videos to YouTube or brag to your indifferent friends on Facebook.

How on earth is someone having their phone out ruining your concert experience? As long as they are not blocking your view of the stage, WTF do you care? They paid as much for their ticket as you did, and if they want to whip out their phone, so what?

I see both sides. I mean, what you said, T, about blocking your view, is what usually happens. Or the brightness of the screen. If you're not at a GA show, and restricted to your seat, you can't go anywhere. So in that case, it is annoying. On the other side, yes, people buy a ticket, they should be able to enjoy the gig the way they want to...at least to a point. But how do you "legislate" that? You can't.

For example, if it is a band I really love, I tend to take four or five videos. But I do it in as non-obtrusive way that I can, looking around to see who is behind me. My screen's brightness is also all the way down. But for every person like me, there are 20 that just don't give a flying F. And those people are the problem. And that problem is increasing. I go to about 10 shows a year. The number of rude people with phones is multiplying like crazy at EVERY gig.

So, I get it. I wouldn't want my ability to record restricted, personally, because I make an effort not to be obstructive to people. As, I am sure, a bunch here do. Unfortunately, folks that fall into that category are getting less and less. Just not sure what the answer is. Banning phones is NOT the answer.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I see this "pic at shows" thing like the Napster thing, something new that comes along and takes some time to get adjusted to. Metallica sued Napster, Iron Maiden in 2003 when premiering a new song at shows said "Record it, upload it, do whatever you want with it, we don't care, just buy the album when it comes out if you like the song".

Just came across this blabbermouth and reminded me of your comparison:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/anthraxs-scott-ian-on-finally-embracing-spotify-if-you-dont-adapt-then-you-dont-survive/

"If you don't adapt, then you don't survive," he said. "It's evolution, and that's really what it is. And in the last few years, we've adapted and we've accepted what's going on in the world. You can't constantly fight a battle against things you're never going to win and have no control over. So you adapt and you accept it and you figure out, 'What's the best way this is gonna work for us? And how do we use this new tool to best represent ANTHRAX?'

I feel the camera policy is kind of similar.  A lot of bands hate it, but they can't really stop it.  Embracing it would be beneficial to both the band and the fans who want to use their cameras. 

Let's also remember that many bands will put a copyright on a youtube video of their music, so they get any ad revenues.  That's a benefit to the band similar to the small money they get from spotify. 

The problem with pissing off other people by using your camera is a legit issue though. 

I do it in as non-obtrusive way that I can, looking around to see who is behind me. My screen's brightness is also all the way down. But for every person like me, there are 20 that just don't give a flying F. And those people are the problem. And that problem is increasing.

Truth.  There's a right and wrong way to do this and the wrong people greatly outweigh the people who are doing it in a respectful way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just happen to be watching the Bruins game, and they just showed a shot of the B's bench, and...... :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: 3 people had their phones out!!!

Offline ErHaO

As a concert goer, I really don't give a toss about people around me filming the concert. Doesn't ruin anything about my concert experience to be honest, maybe during quiet/dark parts the light of screens can be a little bit intrusive but overall anything that happens on a stage completely dominates the venue visually. And personally I like watching vids on yt from past concerts. A lot of cool and unique moments get captured this way.