Author Topic: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album **DO NOT POST LINKS**  (Read 84877 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album
« Reply #350 on: April 22, 2018, 03:17:06 PM »
WOW!!  Outstanding video!  I'm in the "Please take my money" camp. :lol

The mix is good!  Hell.... I can distinctly hear JM!!!!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #351 on: April 22, 2018, 03:33:46 PM »
Not only did that sound incredible, but it looked incredible, and the way it was shot was fantastic. I need more of this. I also agree with the comments about overproducing the official releases. Man that was good.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #352 on: April 22, 2018, 03:35:26 PM »
Pst: this is still a bootleg recording off of tv / leak...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: April 22, 2018, 05:29:44 PM »
Incredible video

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: April 22, 2018, 05:30:09 PM »
Yea agree with everyone here, awesome video and makes me wonder where the rest is to purchase.  Also, great shots and audio, the drum sound really makes it feel live.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: April 22, 2018, 06:20:53 PM »
Just watched it again and I would buy this in a heart beat.

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #356 on: April 22, 2018, 07:54:07 PM »
Simply incredible..should be and needs to be an official release..curious how James was mixed..he sounded great to me in Dallas at the very last show of the tour

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #357 on: April 22, 2018, 11:21:12 PM »
Heart breaking to not have it available to purchase.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #358 on: April 23, 2018, 03:01:28 AM »
Wow! That has a Live at Budokan feel to it I really like. Very clean and cozy :)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: April 23, 2018, 04:56:57 AM »
I haven't been keeping up but can someone give me a quick explanation on why it won't be released?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #360 on: April 23, 2018, 06:11:40 AM »
Who has said it won't be released? :P

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #361 on: April 23, 2018, 06:59:53 AM »
Wow.... That was really good.

The mix was raw enough to sound not over produced, but still very good. Totally refreshing to hear that much bass in the mix and surprise, surprise that (to me) made MM's drums sound better (his drums sounded real solid here).

The camera work and visuals are fantastic. The band should really consider releasing this.

Who has said it won't be released? :P

Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought someone from the band said they weren't releasing it?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #362 on: April 23, 2018, 07:46:43 AM »
The band said multiple times when asked (I believe that this is registred in this thread) something like that "there's no plans to release...". So, I guess we are being very careful/conservative to consider that it still exists any possibility the band changes its mind and release it in the future and I guess that this is the opinion from the moderators here (that it still exists the possibility of a release - correct me, if I'm wrong). In my opinion, I think that this is very very unlikely at this point and maybe we could treat this footage like an "OK bootleg". 
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:20:39 PM by bosk1 »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #364 on: April 23, 2018, 09:53:43 AM »
The band said multiple times when asked (I believe that this is registred in this thread) something like that "there's no plans to release...". So, I guess we are being very careful/conservative to consider that it still exists any possibility the band changes its mind and release it in the future and I guess that this is the opinion from the moderators here (that it still exists the possibility of a release - correct me, if I'm wrong). In my opinion, I think that this is very very unlikely at this point and maybe we could treat this footage like an "OK bootleg".

Exactly my thoughts. At this point, they seem focused only on DT14, and don’t seem too interested in releasing a live album anytime soon.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #365 on: April 23, 2018, 10:09:31 AM »
Well, I haven't had a definite no from the band or management yet. Which means it's still off limits.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #366 on: April 23, 2018, 10:16:08 AM »
Very nice filming and sound clarity.  I would certainly buy this if released. The lighting looks super cool on this show which is a nice change from the screens..
 I think this one looks and sounds better than the last two releases, BTFW, and LALP.  it would be a bummer if this doesn't get released..
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 10:24:14 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #367 on: April 23, 2018, 11:08:39 AM »
Well, I haven't had a definite no from the band or management yet. Which means it's still off limits.

Is that how it works?  I'm not trying to be sarcastic; I'm truly looking for clarification.  Obviously this is not officially released material, but to many, that basically means it's a bootleg.  And to many, a bootleg can be anything from fan-shot on a phonecam to stuff like this, which is clearly pro-shot but still not officially released.

What if another six or eight or 12 months pass, and there's still not a "definite no"?  We still can't share it or discuss it because it's still off limits?  I'm wondering if there's anything like a statute of limitations.  Five years from now, if the band never came right out and said that they weren't officially releasing this footage, is it still in limbo?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #368 on: April 23, 2018, 11:28:37 AM »
I am not aware of it being off limits.  If I hear anything to the contrary, I will obviously step in and put the kibosh on sharing.  But I have not heard any such thing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #369 on: April 23, 2018, 11:30:58 AM »
The Bosk has spoken.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #370 on: April 23, 2018, 01:20:16 PM »
I am not aware of it being off limits.  If I hear anything to the contrary, I will obviously step in and put the kibosh on sharing.  But I have not heard any such thing.

Thanks for the clarification, Bosk! :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #371 on: April 23, 2018, 01:28:04 PM »
I am checking with management just to make sure.  But I seem to recall either management or JP telling me in the past that it is not planned for commercial release.  As long as that is the case, and the footage is from a tv broadcast, I am not going to stop people from posting.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: April 23, 2018, 01:45:15 PM »
...they don’t seem too interested in releasing a live album anytime soon.

What's the downside? Other than not wanting to over-saturate your market, what other reasons could exist for not wanting to release something - assuming you are proud of it and feel there would be a demand for it, of course. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #373 on: April 23, 2018, 01:56:56 PM »

What's the downside? Other than not wanting to over-saturate your market, what other reasons could exist for not wanting to release something - assuming you are proud of it and feel there would be a demand for it, of course. 

I think the bolded is mainly the issue.  Generally speaking, they don't feel there is a significant enough demand for live recordings right now to justify the cost of mass-producing, distribution, etc. given that EVERYTHING gets posted on Youtube nowadays.  I kind of disagree with that.  But at the end of the day, I also understand it.  And I have to acknowledge that I'm just a fan who wants more stuff, so...  :lol  :dunno:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: April 23, 2018, 01:57:19 PM »

Those just might be the reasons the record company doesn't want to invest in a release.  Although, I do wonder that maybe this would be ripe for a Ytse Jam release.  Just seems too well done to not be released in some fashion.

However, the video posted is instrumental.  I'm wondering how JLB does at this show and maybe that's a reason not to release it. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: April 23, 2018, 02:06:06 PM »

I think the bolded is mainly the issue.  Generally speaking, they don't feel there is a significant enough demand for live recordings right now to justify the cost of mass-producing, distribution....

Right, and I have no understanding of the music industry, but I would have thought a high percentage of the cost of such a recording would be in the recording itself, which in this case is already done. The actual making of a CD and packaging can't cost that much, right?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #376 on: April 23, 2018, 02:17:11 PM »
ok so who can share with me?

Pretty please?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #377 on: April 23, 2018, 02:20:21 PM »

I think the bolded is mainly the issue.  Generally speaking, they don't feel there is a significant enough demand for live recordings right now to justify the cost of mass-producing, distribution....

Right, and I have no understanding of the music industry, but I would have thought a high percentage of the cost of such a recording would be in the recording itself, which in this case is already done. The actual making of a CD and packaging can't cost that much, right?

Yeah, that's a good point.  But a couple of things to add:

As far as the cost of pressing a CD, packing, etc., it's not a huge cost in terms of just the materials, which are cheap.  But it's not just the materials.  There's more to it than that.

As far as the cost of recording itself, yeah, that is probably a big chunk of it, and could perhaps be the biggest.  But let's think for a second about where that cost actually lies.  I am guessing here about where the cost for that lies.  But if it was done for a tv spot, I think it is likely that the tv channel paid for it.  And think about how costs and revenues get spread around when it comes to tv of any kind.  The money mostly comes from advertisers who pay for their commercials, right?  In simplest terms, a tv station will pay for a given program if they think it is likely to get enough views that advertisers will pay for commercials to be on during that time slot.  There are obviously a lot of layers to that.  But in any case, the tv station, which is an entity with a lot of revenue and capitol, pays and then holds the rights.  They are in a better position to also take the risks associated with whatever programs (as far as not getting enough views of a particular program), because those risks hopefully get spread out.  Assuming they were to sell their rights in this recording to DT (which assumes they have the right), the cost would then be passed on to DT, and that might be more than the band are willing to pay.  Again, this is all hypothetical.  But do you see why it could be an issue from the band's perspective?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #378 on: April 23, 2018, 02:35:02 PM »
It was said that new Haken's live DVD happened just because of the high demand of the fans to InsideOut. Since DT is now with InsideOut, maybe if we make a big petition, we can make it work? (By the way, I don't have a clue how to organize something like this) I read in some interviews that InsideOut wanted a lot DT to release a new album yet this year. Maybe a live release wouldn't interest them?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: April 23, 2018, 02:37:36 PM »
It was said that new Haken's live DVD happened just because of the high demand of the fans to InsideOut. Since DT is now with InsideOut, maybe if we make a big petition, we can make it work? (By the way, I don't have a clue how to organize something like this) I read in some interviews that InsideOut wanted a lot DT to release a new album yet this year. Maybe a live release wouldn't interest them?

I don't know how it works, but none of the songs from the DVD would be from an InsideOut album to help promote with the release of a live album of music from a different label/s.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #380 on: April 23, 2018, 02:52:04 PM »

However, the video posted is instrumental.  I'm wondering how JLB does at this show and maybe that's a reason not to release it.
My thoughts exactly!  After watching an audience shot version of "Another Day" at Budokon, the vocals sounded pretty bad. It could be that the quality of the recording made him sound flat. I dunno, but if the vocals don't sound right, I could see why that would be a deal breaker for a release. It would be a bummer if a show like that was professionally shot, and JLB ended up having a bad night.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #381 on: April 23, 2018, 02:53:49 PM »

I don't know how it works, but none of the songs from the DVD would be from an InsideOut album to help promote with the release of a live album of music from a different label/s.
Unless DT owns the publishing rights to their songs.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #382 on: April 23, 2018, 03:04:21 PM »

Unless DT owns the publishing rights to their songs.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything for these purposes.  What matters is who owns the right to that performance.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #383 on: April 23, 2018, 03:22:04 PM »
***UPDATE***

DO NOT POST/SHARE/REQUEST LINKS TO ANY RECORDINGS OF THIS SHOW.  AS OF NOW, IT IS OFF-LIMITS.

That's all I can say at the moment on the subject, but I just got word that it is off limits, at least for the time being.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #384 on: April 23, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »
Well, shit.