Author Topic: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album **DO NOT POST LINKS**  (Read 84802 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2017, 06:56:40 AM »
Dream Theater is an absolutely amazing band.  To be able to play those songs live, perfectly (or near perfectly) is something I'll never be able to do.  But there's a part of me that knows that one reason they can do it is because of the click, and there's a tiny part of me (the purist) that mumbles "Yeah, but that's cheating."  I'm not complaining that they use a click, but it adds a homogeneity to everything, it takes just a little bit of the "live" out of the live performance.

Huh? I'd wager playing those complex sections to a click is more difficult than playing without a click.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2017, 07:02:37 AM »
For me the click puts more pressure on possible screwups. How do you come back from a note played too fast or too slow with a click? ok, the click helps you being in time in the first place, but if for whatever reason you screw up isn't it harder to readjust to the click? it's like a train that can't be stopped.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2017, 07:06:28 AM »
The click doesn't bother me. I suppose it is an advantage when it comes to difficult sections, that it holds the tempo steady and stops those really technical bits from becoming impossible, if the whole song was to go at a quicker than normal tempo.

I wouldn't say it's cheating though. The guys still have to play those bits at album tempo and get them as good as they can. I'd say some of those sections would be close to their own technical limits of ability (and way beyond mine), so to attempt to do them any quicker would be suicide.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2017, 07:19:48 AM »
For me the click puts more pressure on possible screwups. How do you come back from a note played too fast or too slow with a click? ok, the click helps you being in time in the first place, but if for whatever reason you screw up isn't it harder to readjust to the click? it's like a train that can't be stopped.

Exactly, in my experience, it takes a lot of skill to play to a click. I've played with a ton of guys who were "good" players, especially drummers, then the moment you turn a click on they fall apart.

The click doesn't bother me. I suppose it is an advantage when it comes to difficult sections, that it holds the tempo steady and stops those really technical bits from becoming impossible, if the whole song was to go at a quicker than normal tempo.

I wouldn't say it's cheating though. The guys still have to play those bits at album tempo and get them as good as they can. I'd say some of those sections would be close to their own technical limits of ability (and way beyond mine), so to attempt to do them any quicker would be suicide.

A common problem DT had previously was MP pushing the tempo in technically difficult sections (see the TGP intro runs) so a click definitely helps the other players, mainly JP and JR in that regard, but like MirrorMask just said - playing to a click starts a freight train moving and it's hard to re-calibrate if you fall off.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2017, 07:35:26 AM »
I remember at a guitar clinic with JP years ago when the topic came up on whether he sweep picks the intro solo to the glass prison or if he alternate picks it. His response was that it depended on MP, if the tempo is fast then JP finds it easier to sweep pick the intro. I guess with a click it’s easier to not have to push yourself even further from the excitement of the live environment.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2017, 07:52:22 AM »
The Astonishing live wouldn't be like the studio. They have the live sound, and feel. Which is what I like to hear for a live release.

Not to mention that mind numbing guitar solo at the end of A New Beginning

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2017, 07:58:10 AM »
JP is on Eddie Trunk right now and he said they did not record any TA shows.  He said if you weren't there, you won't get to see it.

But we could hear it  ;)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2017, 06:19:24 PM »
The Astonishing live wouldn't be like the studio. They have the live sound, and feel. Which is what I like to hear for a live release.

Not to mention that mind numbing guitar solo at the end of A New Beginning

That was the highlight of the TA shows.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2017, 07:53:44 AM »
JP is on Eddie Trunk right now and he said they did not record any TA shows.  He said if you weren't there, you won't get to see it.

Don't get this mindset at all.

This whole album needs a documentary about the decision making process.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2017, 07:56:46 AM »
I guess nobody read my comment about what JP said on Eddie Trunk yesterday.

He said they didn't record any TA shows.  Have to assume it's gonna be a live version of the IW&B shows?

Don't usually listen to Eddie Trunk but I'm going to try and find this online.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2017, 02:46:10 PM »
James is live on his FB page right now with his son Chance and he just confirmed the show Chycki was mixing is the Budokan show for a broadcast in Japan. He didn’t say anything about how (or if) it’s going to be released.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2017, 03:32:43 PM »
James is live on his FB page right now with his son Chance and he just confirmed the show Chycki was mixing is the Budokan show for a broadcast in Japan. He didn’t say anything about how (or if) it’s going to be released.

If it will be broadcasted then I am sure it will end up on youtube at least.  Would be nice to get that on DVD though.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2017, 03:39:42 PM »

If it will be broadcasted then I am sure it will end up on youtube at least.  Would be nice to get that on DVD though.

Hope so. The last show they recorded for broadcast in Japan was Loud Park 2014 and, while it was on youtube for a while, it got taken down.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2017, 03:51:26 PM »
Interesting.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2017, 04:51:29 PM »
The freedom to vary the tempo according to mood and feel of the room is an inalienable right of performance.
Lawyer’d :biggrin:

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2017, 07:54:08 AM »
They should do a double package.

Disc 1: Best songs off The Astonishing (more digestible to the general audience, people who didn't sit down for 130 minutes for the album won't do it for a live version)

Disc 2: Images and Words 2017

Wow, what an excellent idea. A "Best Of...." for the recent tours. I would love that!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2017, 09:32:25 AM »
I doubt we'll get anything from The Astonishing. It seems that the band and the management are happy to move on from it all together. The fact that they removed the three TA songs from the North American leg of this tour suggests just that.  I hope I'm wrong!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2017, 05:37:43 AM »

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2017, 05:47:39 AM »
:tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2017, 06:04:03 AM »
Sorry for the dumb question - is that fan art or official?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2017, 06:05:16 AM »
This news is on Bravewords, right?
It's still not clear if this will be also a DVD release... let's hope for it!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2017, 06:07:57 AM »
This news is on Bravewords, right?
It's still not clear if this will be also a DVD release... let's hope for it!

Yes, Bravewords

https://bravewords.com/news/dream-theater-back-to-budokan-2017-mixed-by-producer-richard-chycki-artwork-and-tracklist-revealed

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2017, 06:08:12 AM »
Yay then!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2017, 06:32:59 AM »
They say the tracklist was revealed, but they just copied the songs from setlist.fm :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2017, 06:36:01 AM »
Sorry for the dumb question - is that fan art or official?

Sorry, I was posting while running out the door to bring my kids to school. I thought I posted the link.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2017, 06:43:49 AM »
It's a TV release, there's been no confirmation for tracklist or release on other platforms.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2017, 06:52:09 AM »
The article lists 3 discs in the tracklist.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2017, 06:55:23 AM »
The article lists 3 discs in the tracklist.

Set 1
Set 2
encore?

They could fit it all in two discs, but it's kinda weird to have, say, Pull Me Under and Another Day at the end of disc 1 after Breaking All Illusions.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2017, 07:17:30 AM »
Wow, I hope this is a DVD that would be great.

Even if it's just a CD, it'll still be cool to have this tour documented like that.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2017, 07:24:09 AM »
https://bravewords.com/news/dream-theater-back-to-budokan-2017-mixed-by-producer-richard-chycki-artwork-and-tracklist-revealed

"Mixed Dream Theater’s Budokan live show celebrating Images, Words & Beyond for broadcast by wowow."

The show took place on September 11th, 2017 at the Budokan in Tokyo, Japan.The tracklist for the package is available below. More details will be revealed soon

Disc 1
 "Opening (The Colonel)"
 "The Dark Eternal Night"
 "The Bigger Picture"
 "Hell's Kitchen"
 "The Gift of Music"
 "Our New World"
 "Portrait of Tracy" (John Myung solo)
 "As I Am"
 "Breaking All Illusions"

Disc 2
 "Pull Me Under"
 "Another Day"
 "Take the Time" (extended outro with John Petrucci guitar solo)
 "Surrounded"
 "Metropolis Pt. 1" (with Mike Mangini drum solo)
 "Under a Glass Moon" 08.
 "Wait for Sleep" (with extended keyboard intro)
 "Learning to Live"

Disc 3
 "A Change of Seasons"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2017, 07:47:28 AM »
This could also be part of a Japan-only release (aside from the confirmed TV transmission). King Crimson just released a Live in Vienna live album for Japan only.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #136 on: November 28, 2017, 08:01:57 AM »
This could also be part of a Japan-only release (aside from the confirmed TV transmission). King Crimson just released a Live in Vienna live album for Japan only.

Why would a band do this?

Offline don_waka

« Reply #137 on: November 28, 2017, 08:50:17 AM »
Set list looks cool, except for Dark Eternal Crap.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2017, 08:55:27 AM »
Set list looks cool, except for Dark Eternal Crap.
I actually like TDEN but this made me lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2017, 09:11:53 AM »

Why would a band do this?

Sometimes promoters and labels push the artist to do this. That's why you get bonus tracks in a lot of the artists' Japanese releases so they encourage sales within the country. King Crimson just released a bunch of the Collector's Club releases to the Japanese markets as well. I think they (King Crimson) will be touring Japan soon since they are aggressively releasing previous albums over there. And DT just toured there as well and I'm pretty sure the reception was overwhelming.