Author Topic: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album **DO NOT POST LINKS**  (Read 85663 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album
« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2018, 08:32:20 PM »
I need it. I. NEED. IT.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline CB

« Reply #211 on: January 08, 2018, 12:16:59 AM »
I'm just glad that DT is loved so much in Japan that this (quite historical) show has been filmed for TV. Just got the Blueray, amazing! The camera guys did a great job.

How the fracas are you getting a BlueRay of this???

I got it from discjapan.com

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #212 on: January 08, 2018, 12:39:00 AM »
^^ I've done some digging with that site you provided, and I found this.

https://www.discjapan.com/product/dream-theater-live-at-budokan-2017-1blu-ray-rnon-label/

That stated, the price seems a bit steep for me for a DVD/Bluray (it's around $40.00) and I don't know if I can trust the source of it.  I'll just wait until there is an official release and I can get it at Best Buy without any issues.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #213 on: January 08, 2018, 10:03:42 AM »

https://www.discjapan.com/product/dream-theater-live-at-budokan-2017-1blu-ray-rnon-label/

That stated, the price seems a bit steep for me for a DVD/Bluray (it's around $40.00) and I don't know if I can trust the source of it.  I'll just wait until there is an official release and I can get it at Best Buy without any issues.
Well,  I think it's kinda trustworthy if CB already got his copy, but I have no idea how legal is this lol. I know for a fact that some "labels" sell unofficial DT bootlegs in some places and that's wrong. I'd love some clarification with this.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #214 on: January 08, 2018, 10:07:15 AM »

Last word I got is that there will NOT be an official release. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #215 on: January 08, 2018, 10:11:35 AM »

That's what I thought as well. None of the DT members have said anything that hinted an official release. Right now, I'm just hoping it finds it's way to Youtube soon.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DanLore

« Reply #216 on: January 08, 2018, 02:35:04 PM »
I'm just glad that DT is loved so much in Japan that this (quite historical) show has been filmed for TV. Just got the Blueray, amazing! The camera guys did a great job.

How is the audio?  Soundboard?

Offline CB

« Reply #217 on: January 08, 2018, 04:20:22 PM »

How is the audio?  Soundboard?

I'm not an expert on that, and there's nothing about it on the BlueRay case (only "Linear PCM Stereo") ... it's a recording of the TV broadcast, the audio sounds good to me, professional.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:32:26 PM by CB »

Offline DanLore

« Reply #218 on: January 08, 2018, 05:28:15 PM »
So, if you compared it to the audio on the original Live At Budokan release, is it comparable to that?

I may be looking to get this, but I'd like your opinion.  Thanks.

DanLore

Offline CB

« Reply #219 on: January 09, 2018, 03:38:19 PM »
So, if you compared it to the audio on the original Live At Budokan release, is it comparable to that?

I may be looking to get this, but I'd like your opinion.  Thanks.

DanLore

To my (no musician) ears the audio is comparable, perhaps a bit superior, crisper, cleaner on the original Budokan release. I have to hear both, one after the other, to be sure, didn't have the time for that yet. Considering that certainly a lot more work and money has been invested in the original release than in the new Budokan (that was filmed by a small camera crew, as it seems for TV only), the result of the new one is quite amazing. I'm just happy I have this to remember the three I&W shows I saw last year.

BTW, they cut out all the talking between songs. Makes the show a lot shorter!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: January 09, 2018, 04:04:34 PM »
Without having heard the new concert, I would say it won't compare to the Budokan DVD as in this new concert seems to be a rip of the TV broadcast so you are going to see a decrease in quality right off the bat.  Then the other part is that it's only stereo audio, where as Budokan had surround sound.  However, with Chycki doing the mix, I do think it's possible you have a solid mix on this release, I just wouldn't expect it to compare to any of the official release DVDs.  I could be wrong, but that would be my expectation.  Personally, I wouldn't buy this as it seems to be a bootleg.  I'd love an official release though, or at worst case for this to show up on youtube.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #221 on: January 10, 2018, 12:17:52 AM »
I'd prefer it on stereo anyways, over surround sound for concert dvds. Stereo just works better for music, especially rock bands. I've always watched all my concert blurays/dvd's on stereo only. It sounds so much better.  Movies are for surround sound..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #222 on: January 10, 2018, 04:24:30 AM »
I wonder why Live albums have fallen out of favour with the band of late??
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #223 on: January 10, 2018, 04:50:44 AM »
Almost at the point of being 'done' with live releases by DT. Spent a lof of money on LALP, which sounded abysmal to me. Looked great, sounded bad.
Breaking the fourth wall was a lot better, soundwise. Had high hopes for a TA release, which never came.  This just sound like a rehash to me.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: January 10, 2018, 06:39:45 AM »

I think it's a trend in music since youtube and live streams have become popular that selling DVDs doesn't make as much sense anymore. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2018, 06:52:20 AM »
Almost at the point of being 'done' with live releases by DT. Spent a lof of money on LALP, which sounded abysmal to me. Looked great, sounded bad.
Breaking the fourth wall was a lot better, soundwise. Had high hopes for a TA release, which never came.  This just sound like a rehash to me.
Interesting. I think LALP sounds better than BTFW.  Nightwish's Vehicle of Spirit (especially The Tampere show) DVD sounds much better than both DT releases. DT needs to get whoever mixed for NW to do their live releases imo. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #226 on: January 10, 2018, 08:42:13 AM »

I think it's a trend in music since youtube and live streams have become popular that selling DVDs doesn't make as much sense anymore.

Very true. Not to mention, live albums haven't really fallen out of favor with the band. The only proper tour in support of new material they haven't done an official live album for (post-MP) is TA. They did Luna Park and Breaking the Fourth Wall for the tours before that. It's not like they aren't doing live albums any more.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2018, 09:22:08 AM »

Bosk, did you have this info directly from the band recently? Since the final product is already done, it seems a lost opportunity to make at least some money out of it, right?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #228 on: January 10, 2018, 10:23:44 AM »

Bosk, did you have this info directly from the band recently? Since the final product is already done, it seems a lost opportunity to make at least some money out of it, right?
I asked management about a week ago and was told that there wasn't going to be an official release, but that they were checking on something and would get back to me.  I haven't heard anything and am not sure what that means. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #229 on: January 10, 2018, 10:26:31 AM »
So who paid Chycki to mix it? Certainly not the Japanese broadcast team, right?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2018, 10:31:18 AM »
Thanks, Bosk. Interesting... maybe this means that they won’t release anything or they are waiting to properly make an announcement of the release, with some marketing etc. I guess 50% to both.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »
So who paid Chycki to mix it? Certainly not the Japanese broadcast team, right?

Good point, but IIRC, he also mixed the Loud Park 2014 show (or just a few songs from it) for a TV broadcast and they never released it officially.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2018, 10:36:24 AM »
Maybe the band payed him to mix these shows just to have control of audio quality of them?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2018, 11:17:37 AM »
I have no idea how this works, but my guess is the whoever owned the rights to broadcast the concert paid the band/label to do so exclusively as a way to get people to watch their channel/show not buy the DVD.  And part of that deal was to get someone to mix the audio and it only makes sense to get the guy who works with DT currently.  That is assuming there isn't some announcement of an official release coming.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2018, 11:21:41 AM »
Bosk, have you heard any updates regarding Official Bootleg/Ytsejam Record-type releases? Seems to me, this seems like the perfect outlet to get recordings (audio and/or video) of the last few tours out, especially since they don't seem to have plans on an official "DVD recording." They could put out the Budokan 2017 show on Blu-ray/CD, an Astonishing 2016 show on CD, and a 30th Anniversary Tour 2015 show out on DVD/CD/Blu-ray/whatever. I think die-hards, like me, would go bananas over the opportunity to own shows from these tours, and would rather have some sort of official release than a youtube video or bootleg from Japan.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #235 on: January 10, 2018, 11:28:42 AM »
No, but I haven't asked anything about that in a LONG time (i.e., back in the Luna Park timeframe).  It's something that has been on my mind the last couple of years though.  If I have an opportunity, I'll ask JP about it this Saturday.  Thanks for reminding me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: January 10, 2018, 11:36:00 AM »
Speaking to JP this saturday?  :omg:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #237 on: January 10, 2018, 12:01:27 PM »
Hopefully.  I don't know how busy he is on G3 tours.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: January 10, 2018, 12:02:26 PM »
That sounds like a good time, enjoy.  :metal

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #239 on: January 10, 2018, 01:21:56 PM »

Tell him Chino says "sup?".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #240 on: January 10, 2018, 01:40:05 PM »

Tell him Chino says "sup?".

I did last time I saw him.  He said to let him know if you needed tickets for a show.  He told me he could get you almost any seats you wanted.  I believe his exact words were, "Anywhere but the balcony."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: January 10, 2018, 01:48:08 PM »
 :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #242 on: January 10, 2018, 02:37:55 PM »
Zing!

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #243 on: January 10, 2018, 04:05:59 PM »
I will be there Saturday!!

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #244 on: January 11, 2018, 12:34:57 AM »
Of course I'd like to see the Budokan show, but what I really wanted was a DVD of TA tour...
I hope at least for an audio recording...
Someone said that maybe one day we will have it like SDOIT on Score, but this is too long to include in a setlist with new stuff and other songs...  :sad: