Author Topic: ADTOE and I&W  (Read 684 times)

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: ADTOE and I&W
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2018, 01:38:32 PM »
You know, I used to really love this album. I thought it was well written and well performed.

Then someone pointed out those similarities, and I despise the album. It's the worst album ever written by humans.

It's technically impossible to enjoy an album that is, in part, an ode to another album.

I love you.

You do now. Until you find out that I'm partially inspired by other posters.

Life imitates art.  I'm down with it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2018, 02:15:45 PM »
Awesome conversation...

I have a few thoughts..

* Even though MP was "out there" with social media and an active forum, it certainly appears that JP has his ear to the ground. He was adamant about making an album to reassure (long time) Dream Theater fans that that are still Dream Theater. He had to know that generally speaking, the previous two albums are generally on the bottom of fans' lists. Even shortly after the ADTOE tour started, JP saw the criticisms of having The Great Debate in there and they dropped it from the set..

* You look up Dream Theater in the dictionary and the definition reads Images And Words. I think it's not ridiculous to think that it was at best inspiration and at worst a blueprint. But I feel like they wanted to accomplish a couple of things. Let's start the album in this vain. Let's have a song like Metropolis that has a crazy instrumental section. Let's (basically) end the album with a thoughtful long song like Learning To Live. And then from there, the album just kind of took shape.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline Ninjabait

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2018, 02:48:27 PM »
From what I've heard and seen, most of the similarities between the songs are superficial. PMU and OtBoA are probably the best case, but even then the songs are so different in their own rights that the comparison falls apart when you look closer. How they use meters is different, the overall mood is somewhat different, the melodies are different, the arrangements are different, and so on. Do the two albums have some stuff in common? Yes. Is ADToE deliberately based on I&W? Probably not. The albums are too unique to really say that there's any recycling.

Also, I think that the similarities in structure don't ruin ADToE. I mean, look at the SoC contest. The results people sent in sound totally different from the actual song! I think that just shows to go ya that you can make totally unique art using an established structure. Now, someone do me a favor and forward that to Marvin Gaye's label

Offline robwebster

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2018, 04:03:50 PM »
For risk of echoing everyone else - Pull Me Under and On the Backs of Angels are too structurally similar for it to be an accident. It'd be fishy on any album, but on a disc with Far from Heaven / Breaking all Illusions, they were definitely doing some kind of deliberate homage.

The bit where the conspiracy theory lost me was "...and therefore ADToE is lazy / repetitive / bad." It'd be like saying Octavarium is lazy because they just wrote all their songs in different keys to fit an octave that already existed. Musically, it is nothing at all like IaW - it sounds more like BCSL (and doesn't *really* sound like that)! It's a neat, subtle reference to the album that launched their careers, that shapes the all-new music without getting in the way of it. The IaW tribute is definitely there and it's neat.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Inventory!
    • Overhaul
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2018, 04:27:54 PM »
The IaW tribute is definitely there and it's neat.

Yes.

I actually listened to ADTOE today, for the first time in probably over 5 years and it was quite enjoyable! The vinyl I played was rather bass-heavy though, which muddied Bridges in the Sky especially, but also parts of other songs.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey