Author Topic: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?  (Read 90297 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?
« Reply #1365 on: December 18, 2019, 04:39:33 PM »
I love how the argument keeps shifting back and forth.

-Argument 1:  Cars will be damaged!  It's wrong to leave them where they can damage cars!
-Response:  Correct.  There are plenty of places other than the corrals that you can safely leave them where they can't hit cars.
-Argument 2:  But it's not about the cars!  It's inconsiderate to the store personnel who have to chase them all over the lot instead of getting them from the corrals!
-Response:  (1) It's their job. (2) The people who do that job understand that it's their job and don't have a problem with getting the carts from locations other than the corrals (within reason), and don't feel that anyone is being rude to them. And (3) Their managers don't care either. 
-Argument 1:  But it's not about the store people!  Cars will be damaged!  It's wrong to leave them where they can damage cars!

:lolpalm:

I just have to keep coming back to this:
But even more importantly, you could just put it in a place where it won't even potentially damage any cars or inconvenience anyone else

I don't think any of us "anti-corral" folks have ever disagreed with this.  What we do disagree with is that corrals are the only places that meet this criteria.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1366 on: December 18, 2019, 04:43:49 PM »
I addressed TAC talking about "sticking it to the man" not anything about employees

Also even if it is their job you don't think their supervisor/boss would rather them get shit done in a timely manner instead of spending exponentially more time walking all over the lot? Well okay. I'd love to work for ya'll then. Smoke break and a walk! Might even throw my headphones on and get a Moon Safari epic in, unless I get run over by a rogue cart :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1367 on: December 18, 2019, 04:47:25 PM »
You guys are nuts. And gullable.

:lol  Gullable?  Do tell.  I'm genuinely intrigued.

It's that you are doing the store's work under the guise of being a considerate person.

They have self scans because they don't want to pay cashiers. They have already cut out the baggers, who double as carriage retrievers.
They have corrals to supposedly protect them against liability. Somehow this all turned into a "doing the right thing" thing.

I don't get it. It's giving in to The Man. The fucking store is not going to dictate if I'm a good person. Do your fucking job and come get the carts.
While I'm at it, maybe I should help them stock the fucking hair spray and conditioner to be considerate to Kox so it's there when he needs it. The store ain't paying enough stockers to get it full.

Agree, but it's a self moral thing I think, for me anyway. 

The second point I've bolded is very true.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1368 on: December 18, 2019, 04:49:13 PM »
I understand the store provides a service  but I also know that is the least important service until carriages are low inside.

So when the steaks get low, do you go in the meat room and start cutting?

Crimany TAC, it's not about 'sticking it to the man,' this ain't the 70s  :lol P

I will not be dictated by the store to do their work.

Putting the carts away avoids all scenarios in which cars might possibly be damaged (which costs money to fix (which people like (and not everyone makes a lot of))), unless they all magically get pushed out of the corral in a giant heavy metal line.  :corn

But why would we lash out and hold our fellow man responsible? It's the store's responsibility to keep the lot clear.

Tim, they don't get low.  Higher priority places on sales. Get my point?

Also, you can't leave a steak on the ground out of a corral.   Somebody's scoffing that. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1369 on: December 18, 2019, 04:51:33 PM »
I think locating a position description of cart/trolley collectors is what's needed here.  It may state that it's their job to collect them from anywhere on premises.  That would kind of negate some of the argument IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1370 on: December 18, 2019, 05:07:14 PM »
Soon, some stores are taking away the plastic bags and forcing us to buy their grocery bags.

Aldi doesn't have anything to carry out what you buy.

So where is my convienance that I pay for Tim?

Grocery stores are doing less for a higher profit and kids are not outside all the time because it's wasted money.

So basically this looks good for Tim.

Btw, I've had 6 dents from carts on my car. This is the only reason why I bring the carts to the corral.  I don't want to be that asshole that dinged my car.

Before you ask how I know,  I've walked up to the cart against my car.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1371 on: December 18, 2019, 06:06:46 PM »
Soon, some stores are taking away the plastic bags and forcing us to buy their grocery bags.

That's already happened here in California for the last three years.  I think we've pointed that out in this thread, probably 20+ pages ago.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1372 on: December 18, 2019, 06:23:22 PM »
'cause I don't want my fookin' car potentially hit. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Recently I went to the store, no carts. When I came back out there was a shopping car sitting just a few feet in front of my car. You bet I looked to see if it hit.

And I bet it didn't.  Your car is "potentially hit" every time you drive.

I love how the argument keeps shifting back and forth.

-Argument 1:  Cars will be damaged!  It's wrong to leave them where they can damage cars!
-Response:  Correct.  There are plenty of places other than the corrals that you can safely leave them where they can't hit cars.
-Argument 2:  But it's not about the cars!  It's inconsiderate to the store personnel who have to chase them all over the lot instead of getting them from the corrals!
-Response:  (1) It's their job. (2) The people who do that job understand that it's their job and don't have a problem with getting the carts from locations other than the corrals (within reason), and don't feel that anyone is being rude to them. And (3) Their managers don't care either. 
-Argument 1:  But it's not about the store people!  Cars will be damaged!  It's wrong to leave them where they can damage cars!

:lolpalm:

What comes around goes around....  Unlike Stephen Pearcy, however, I cannot tell you why.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: December 18, 2019, 06:35:02 PM »

That's already happened here in California for the last three years.  I think we've pointed that out in this thread, probably 20+ pages ago.

Meant to say all stores.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1374 on: December 18, 2019, 06:45:28 PM »
'cause I don't want my fookin' car potentially hit. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Recently I went to the store, no carts. When I came back out there was a shopping car sitting just a few feet in front of my car. You bet I looked to see if it hit.

And I bet it didn't.  Your car is "potentially hit" every time you drive.

This is an illogical argument. When I get in a car and drive it, I expect to take damage: wear and tear on the vehicle, rocks and salt kicked up from the road, potential collision with an object or another driver, "wanting to jerk the wheel into a god damn bridge abutment" - the list goes on. When I park my car in a parking space I don't expect it to take damage from an object whose placement is entirely a choice made by another person. That's why the lines are there, to indicate spaces between vehicles so nobody parks too closely (ideally) to someone else. But putting shopping carts into a location where they can all be neatly and compactly placed is a very easy thing to do; a shopping cart left in the lot is 100% human error and done entirely by choice.

AND ANOTHER THING! When I'm hit by another car, (usually/ideally) I am able to hold that person accountable. When someone leaves a cart there and it hits another car 20 minutes later that person gets off the hook.

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1375 on: December 18, 2019, 07:15:00 PM »

Grocery stores are doing less for a higher profit and kids are not outside all the time because it's wasted money.

Joe, you do understand that it's not the stores that are taking away plastic bags, right? The City of Boston has already enacted this, as well as about 30 other towns. Mass will soon pass this statewide.

We sell a .05 cent paper bag with handles and a 10 cent multiple use plastic bag. I believe the half of that rate covers the cost, and the other half goes to the city for recycling efforts, or something like that. There's really no benefit to the store for these programs.

Aldi operates on a different business model altogether, so there's no frills for sure.

And as far as profits, the margins are pretty small. Extremely small. Payrolls get slashed and the first to go are bagging shifts. The carriage corrals are all about damage claims. Paying baggers doesn't really have anything to do with it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1376 on: December 18, 2019, 07:22:29 PM »
I addressed TAC talking about "sticking it to the man" not anything about employees

Also even if it is their job you don't think their supervisor/boss would rather them get shit done in a timely manner instead of spending exponentially more time walking all over the lot? Well okay. I'd love to work for ya'll then. Smoke break and a walk! Might even throw my headphones on and get a Moon Safari epic in, unless I get run over by a rogue cart :2metal:

I'd write you up for smoking while getting carriages, and the same would go for the headphones. You know..safety hazard. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1377 on: December 18, 2019, 07:22:55 PM »
Baggers are the shaggers.   Remember that term? Lol

Now, grocery stores page out multiple departments to shag the carriages.   Piling up everywhere which is a liability that grocery stores love to deny.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: December 18, 2019, 07:24:19 PM »

I'd write you up for smoking while getting carriages, and the same would go for the headphones. You know..safety hazard. ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1379 on: December 18, 2019, 07:24:50 PM »
  Piling up everywhere which is a liability that grocery stores love to deny.

Exactly. Now you're getting it. And what's their fist line of defense? "Well we have corrals." Fuck them!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1380 on: December 18, 2019, 07:29:17 PM »
Oh I get the circle of life.

I just want my grocery store to act like we, the customers mean something.   Not act like politicians. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1381 on: December 18, 2019, 07:31:08 PM »

I just want my grocery store to act like we, the customers mean something.   Not act like politicians.

I hate to break it to you, but there's no Easter Bunny either..

You work in the belly of the beast. You should understand more than anyone.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1382 on: December 18, 2019, 07:47:31 PM »
If all of you anit-corral people get your way and everyone just decided to leave there carts wherever in the parking lot instead of taking them to a corral, there would be no where to park. It would be the beginning of anarchy!  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: December 18, 2019, 07:49:59 PM »

I hate to break it to you, but there's no Easter Bunny either..

You work in the belly of the beast. You should understand more than anyone.

I do. A sad state of our society today honestly. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1384 on: December 18, 2019, 07:56:49 PM »
If all of you anit-corral people get your way and everyone just decided to leave there carts wherever in the parking lot instead of taking them to a corral, there would be no where to park. It would be the beginning of anarchy!  :corn

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1385 on: December 18, 2019, 08:30:05 PM »

Where are these places that a cart CAN'T hit a car?
I know there are the corrals (the source of the debate), and inside the store (where you surely wont go if you cant be bothered to use the corral), and where else?  Most people leave them in parking spaces, and in between spaces.....there is absolutely no barrier there so that a cart CAN'T hit a car.

Any where else that does not provide a barrier or mechanism to prevent the cart from moving, does not provide a place where the cart CAN'T hit a car.
And that is at least one very valid argument.  The places where the carts are left (other than the corral or the store) are creating a situation where there is potential for damage to other peoples property.  It is lazy and just a plain shitty thing to do.

It is also a nice thing to do to help the store and employees, but that really isn't required in our society.  It is a good thing to do, and it makes our world a better place to be, but in the end no one can fault you for not making someones job easier if you don't want to. 

But the damage thing is DIFFERENT.  If you leave the cart in a place that is not the corral, inside the store, or in a legitimately secure area, you would be held liable if your cart started to move and damaged another car.  That should simply be the end of the argument.

If you leave your cart in a place that it could potentially move and cause damage to another persons property, then you are liable, even if you are long gone and will never get caught.  You are in the wrong morally and legally.  You are lazy and kind of a shitty person.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1386 on: December 18, 2019, 08:39:06 PM »
I think I'd probably call the cops on him and report to the store manager that there was some clown outside harassing and threatening the store's customers, and that I wouldn't shop there again until they did something about it.

LOL, I think "threatening" is a far cry from reminding people that the corrals are there for a reason.  If I was the store manager, I'd be out there harassing them myself.  :lol

I think I'd probably call the cops on him and report to the store manager that there was some clown outside harassing and threatening the store's customers, and that I wouldn't shop there again until they did something about it.

Id imagine that's exactly what happened, then the guy could move onto the next town and start over. 

I doubt it.  He didn't do anything remotely serious enough to call the police.  If I was the manager and someone came in to complain about some guy like that in the parking lot, I'd tell them to put their cart in the goddamn corral. :lol

Sure he did. He is harassing people for no reason.

To say nothing of trespassing.

Well I'm a huge property rights advocate so I am definitely on the side of kicking this guy's can to the curb in this instance.  If the store wants to enforce putting the carts in the corral, then they can do that but this guy has no authority in the matter and is doing nothing but harassing customers imho.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1387 on: December 18, 2019, 08:41:30 PM »
It is also a nice thing to do to help the store and employees, ...  It is a good thing to do, and it makes our world a better place to be

But the damage thing is DIFFERENT.  If you leave the cart in a place that is not the corral, inside the store, or in a legitimately secure area, you would be held liable if your cart started to move and damaged another car.  That should simply be the end of the argument.

So wait? You'd sue me if I didn't use a corral? WTF?? How is the store not liable for not staffing the lot?

If you leave your cart in a place that it could potentially move and cause damage to another persons property, then you are liable, even if you are long gone and will never get caught.  You are in the wrong morally and legally.  You are lazy and kind of a shitty person.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1388 on: December 18, 2019, 08:41:34 PM »
To the "anti-corral" people:

If you come out of the grocery store, and after putting the grocery bags in your car, you put the cart in the X area.  Perhaps from wind, not level pavement, you thought it was stopped but wasn't....whatever the reason.....your cart moves and damages someone else's car or property.

What would you do?  Would you accept responsibility?  Or would you say, "eh, not my problem".
I would hope that all of you would accept your legal and moral responsibility and pay for the damages.

What you do when you leave the cart there, is create the situation for exactly that to happen.  That your cart will damage someones property.  Though the chances of it happening are low, you are still leaving that potential there, and walking away from it, knowing that if something occurs, the person will be left with no recourse to be made whole, and will certainly have a very bad experience.

That, to me, is the only real issue that supports a true obligation to returning the carts to the corral (or another truly secured location, like the store.....not some grass or the "x").  Trying to justify not returning carts with wacky shit like 'store profits" or some other shit is just silly.  It is a moral and legal obligation to secure the cart you used from damaging others property.   
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1389 on: December 18, 2019, 08:43:24 PM »
There's a legal obligation?

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1390 on: December 18, 2019, 08:44:16 PM »
If your cart damaged another persons car, would you not be liable for the damages?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1391 on: December 18, 2019, 08:49:06 PM »
If your cart damaged another persons car, would you not be liable for the damages?

Not unless I took it and deliberately rammed it into someone's car. That's vandalism.

If I left my carriage in the lot and not the corral, why wouldn't you hold the landlord or the store liable?

Honestly, I'm surprised you're siding with big business on this issue.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: December 18, 2019, 08:52:05 PM »
He's siding with decency you SOB.

LOVE YOU! :lol

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1393 on: December 18, 2019, 08:53:17 PM »

So basically this looks good for Tim.

Btw, I've had 6 dents from carts on my car. This is the only reason why I bring the carts to the corral.  I don't want to be that asshole that dinged my car.

Before you ask how I know,  I've walked up to the cart against my car.

Also, just so I don't sound completely one sided.  I also believe that a store should do everything in it's power to protect the property of it's customers (usually their vehicles).  And ding bats who carelessly run their carts into others vehicles should be held liable.

AND, I'm a huge advocate for putting your cart in the corral when you're finished.  It only takes a second and it's just the right thing to do imho.  It avoids the potential of jerks like in that video and it avoids the potential of property damage to folks vehicles.  So a win win as far as I can tell. :)

"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1394 on: December 18, 2019, 08:58:07 PM »

Not unless I took it and deliberately rammed it into someone's car. That's vandalism.

If I left my carriage in the lot and not the corral, why wouldn't you hold the landlord or the store liable?

Honestly, I'm surprised you're siding with big business on this issue.

No TAC, you would be liable for negligence in not securing your cart, as it damaged another persons property.
And I am at a loss as to why you have such a Hate Boner for "Big Business", and even more so, I don't see why you would even bring The landlord or store in to this.
They do not have negligence because....wait for it....THEY PUT IN A CORRAL FOR YOU TO SECURE YOUR CART.
Dude...take some personal responsibility for Christ Sake.  YOU left the cart in a place that allowed it to damage someone elses property....YOU did it....that is simple negligence.  YOU would have to pay for that damage. 

Not allowing that scenario to occur in the first place (by using the corral), or owning that liability after the incident, makes one a responsible person.  Leaving, knowing that one left that situation to possibly occur, with one miles down the road...makes one a Dick.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: December 18, 2019, 08:59:45 PM »
I wonder if people who are okay with leaving carts in the lot are okay with littering

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1396 on: December 18, 2019, 09:02:50 PM »
I wonder if people who are okay with leaving carts in the lot are okay with littering

I just throw loose trash on the street on garbage pick up day.  I mean, it is the CITY, and the GARBAGE MAN"S job to pick it up, right?  Why am I going to go to the trouble and expense of using trash bags and cans....just to increase the profit of THE MAN, and make life easier for them????  I'm not about making Oscar the Grouch, and Big Garbage richer.  Fuck them.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1397 on: December 18, 2019, 09:03:35 PM »
Seriously?

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1398 on: December 18, 2019, 09:04:52 PM »
Seriously?

Um no TAC, we are joking.  Oscar the Grouch doesn't run my Trash Removal Service.
Perhaps address my previous post.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1399 on: December 18, 2019, 09:08:08 PM »
I'm literally about to shut my computer off for the night. It's 11PM in the Atlantic Northeast  ;D and my alarm goes off at 4:45. I'm still trying to wrap my head around its absurdness. I'll address tomorrow after work.

Not sure if calling me
a Dick.
is cool though.