Author Topic: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?  (Read 90234 times)

Offline New World Rushman

Re: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?
« Reply #1330 on: December 18, 2019, 12:43:03 PM »
I've always been an "X marks the spot" guy, but I must admit, lurking in, and reading this thread for a few months now, has shamed me into becoming a corral guy!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1331 on: December 18, 2019, 12:45:30 PM »

But what if the store put up a sign saying to return the carts?  Does that take away from the rules for social norms since it would then be a written rule of the lot?

The stores are basically saying to return the carts. But who gives a shit what they say? And when did a store's cheapness somehow become a social norm?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1332 on: December 18, 2019, 12:49:33 PM »
I've always been an "X marks the spot" guy, but I must admit, lurking in, and reading this thread for a few months now, has shamed me into becoming a corral guy!

DTF making the world a better place!  :yarr

But what if the store put up a sign saying to return the carts?  Does that take away from the rules for social norms since it would then be a written rule of the lot?

The stores are basically saying to return the carts. But who gives a shit what they say? And when did a store's cheapness somehow become a social norm?

when the customer started paying the price?  either in the product or with dents in their cars.  I wonder if there is a correlation between messy lots and price of product for similar grocery stores.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1333 on: December 18, 2019, 12:59:54 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again: you would think the potential damage to someone's vehicle would be a deterrent, but nope - set it and forget it, out of sight, out of mind, and if there is damage to a person's car, nobody will be able to tell it's you, right?

Except me.
I'm watching you.
We all are.

*cacophony of squeaky wheels as abandoned carts gather on TAC's front lawn*
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1334 on: December 18, 2019, 01:40:10 PM »
If I was the manager and someone came in to complain about some guy like that in the parking lot, I'd tell them to put their cart in the goddamn corral. :lol

And that's all well and good, but most store managers would not do that, for several reasons.  And as has already been mentioned in the thread (and keeps getting ignored), most store managers don't care whether or not customers put carts in the corral and don't see it as an issue.  Most of them do see it as a problem if their customers (rightly or wrongly) feel threatened by rude people and talk about taking their business elsewhere.

And the bottom line is, there's just no good reason to be rude to people.

Well, I was sort of joking if you didn't catch it because there's no way I would ever be a grocery store manager in the first place.  :lol

However, I disagree with your theory.  That really isn't the bottom line.  There's a lot more to it than people's feelings supposedly being hurt or threatened somehow because someone calls them out (or points something out).  You're right about one thing.  Most store managers probably wouldn't do that because they are too politically correct to care and just don't have the time anyway.

My take is this, which has been mentioned previously in this thread (and keeps getting ignored).  1). It isn't rude to remind people that the corrals are there for a reason.  If they don't like being reminded and it is a source of tension or embarrassment for them, I don't give a shit and don't think anyone else does either.  2). The company pays to have the corrals built as a central collection point so their employees aren't wandering around the parking lot all day collecting stray carts (I've mentioned this before).  That costs the company even more money, hence the reason for the corrals.  3).  The cost of product increases as a result of corrals not being properly utilized.  4).  Increased prices in the store is what causes people to take their business elsewhere.  Not some random guy approaching customers in the parking lot.  How often does that happen anyway?

Hell, it's probably mostly other customers doing the harassing.  You know, the ones who actually return carts to their rightful place?  All of these things have been mentioned over and over.  So, where does the "people's feelings getting hurt" part come in?  Nobody cares about that.  It's not about being "rude".  It's about people being called out on their bullshit.

If grocery store management wanted to pay their employees to walk around the parking lot all day collecting carts, why spend the extra money providing corrals?  This is all very simple business strategy and is designed to benefit everyone involved.  People not returning carts is what I would consider to be rude and thoughtless.  People who just can't seem to be bothered with taking an extra minute or two (tops) to contribute to the cause.  To do their part so to speak.  After all, the carts are provided to customers as a service and convenience.  The least they could do is return the favor (cart).
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1335 on: December 18, 2019, 01:48:05 PM »
 :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1336 on: December 18, 2019, 01:49:24 PM »
@Dublagent66:  Well, as I've said before, I'm fine still being friends with people who are wrong, so it's all good.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1337 on: December 18, 2019, 01:49:47 PM »

:tup

Mark my words. I *WILL* get TAC with some form of shopping cart bombardment in his lifetime. I went to school in his neck of the woods. I know people. Even if it's not me personally (given where I live now, it is difficult), I have friends from law school that would get nothing but glee by doing this for me. It's gonna happen. Just not today. :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1338 on: December 18, 2019, 01:54:14 PM »

Mark my words. I *WILL* get TAC with some form of shopping cart bombardment in his lifetime. I went to school in his neck of the woods. I know people. Even if it's not me personally (given where I live now, it is difficult), I have friends from law school that would get nothing but glee by doing this for me. It's gonna happen. Just not today. :lol

I think I love you.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: December 18, 2019, 01:55:12 PM »

I think I love you.

With a name like KOX though, I'm not sure how to take that.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: December 18, 2019, 01:57:21 PM »
There's a lot of ways you can take Kox.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1341 on: December 18, 2019, 02:00:42 PM »
 :lol

I'm totally down on surround TAC's house with carts next time I'm up near his neck of the woods.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: December 18, 2019, 02:03:23 PM »
There's a lot of ways you can take Kox.  :lol

:eek

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1343 on: December 18, 2019, 02:55:01 PM »
@Dublagent66:  Well, as I've said before, I'm fine still being friends with people who are wrong, so it's all good.  :biggrin:

So, TAC (among a few others) are your only friends?   :lol :rollin :lol :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1344 on: December 18, 2019, 03:04:42 PM »

Don't give in to the dark side!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1345 on: December 18, 2019, 03:21:50 PM »

I'm ok with mocking my friends as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: December 18, 2019, 03:25:49 PM »

Mocking your friends is a form a flattery in friendships.  The ones who's balls I bust the most are usually my closest friends.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: December 18, 2019, 03:27:44 PM »
I think I'd probably call the cops on him and report to the store manager that there was some clown outside harassing and threatening the store's customers, and that I wouldn't shop there again until they did something about it.

LOL, I think "threatening" is a far cry from reminding people that the corrals are there for a reason.  If I was the store manager, I'd be out there harassing them myself.  :lol

I think I'd probably call the cops on him and report to the store manager that there was some clown outside harassing and threatening the store's customers, and that I wouldn't shop there again until they did something about it.

Id imagine that's exactly what happened, then the guy could move onto the next town and start over. 

I doubt it.  He didn't do anything remotely serious enough to call the police.  If I was the manager and someone came in to complain about some guy like that in the parking lot, I'd tell them to put their cart in the goddamn corral. :lol

You'd be out of business pretty fucking quick.  No matter what you think of people not putting their trolleys back, if you were the manager of the store, you would tell the guy harassing people to piss off and put it back for them, apologize and hope they come back.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: December 18, 2019, 03:34:31 PM »
If I was the manager and someone came in to complain about some guy like that in the parking lot, I'd tell them to put their cart in the goddamn corral. :lol

And that's all well and good, but most store managers would not do that, for several reasons.  And as has already been mentioned in the thread (and keeps getting ignored), most store managers don't care whether or not customers put carts in the corral and don't see it as an issue.  Most of them do see it as a problem if their customers (rightly or wrongly) feel threatened by rude people and talk about taking their business elsewhere.

And the bottom line is, there's just no good reason to be rude to people.

Well, I was sort of joking if you didn't catch it because there's no way I would ever be a grocery store manager in the first place.  :lol

However, I disagree with your theory.  That really isn't the bottom line.  There's a lot more to it than people's feelings supposedly being hurt or threatened somehow because someone calls them out (or points something out).  You're right about one thing.  Most store managers probably wouldn't do that because they are too politically correct to care and just don't have the time anyway.

My take is this, which has been mentioned previously in this thread (and keeps getting ignored).  1). It isn't rude to remind people that the corrals are there for a reason.  If they don't like being reminded and it is a source of tension or embarrassment for them, I don't give a shit and don't think anyone else does either.  2). The company pays to have the corrals built as a central collection point so their employees aren't wandering around the parking lot all day collecting stray carts (I've mentioned this before).  That costs the company even more money, hence the reason for the corrals.  3).  The cost of product increases as a result of corrals not being properly utilized.  4).  Increased prices in the store is what causes people to take their business elsewhere.  Not some random guy approaching customers in the parking lot.  How often does that happen anyway?

Hell, it's probably mostly other customers doing the harassing.  You know, the ones who actually return carts to their rightful place?  All of these things have been mentioned over and over.  So, where does the "people's feelings getting hurt" part come in?  Nobody cares about that.  It's not about being "rude".  It's about people being called out on their bullshit.

If grocery store management wanted to pay their employees to walk around the parking lot all day collecting carts, why spend the extra money providing corrals?  This is all very simple business strategy and is designed to benefit everyone involved.  People not returning carts is what I would consider to be rude and thoughtless.  People who just can't seem to be bothered with taking an extra minute or two (tops) to contribute to the cause.  To do their part so to speak.  After all, the carts are provided to customers as a service and convenience.  The least they could do is return the favor (cart).

That's the thing, who says it's bullshit?  It's not a law, it's just one's opinion.  I take mine back everytime and only care about people who don't when they leave theirs so close to my car.  Other than that, it's not worth even worrying about in the grand scheme of life.  I am coming around in seeing Tim's point with this whole thread.  Is it laziness? Yes.  Are people just ignorant and don't give a fuck? Yes.  Should we really give a shit?  Probably not, unless it's causing danger or property damage.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1349 on: December 18, 2019, 03:41:46 PM »

I doubt it.  He didn't do anything remotely serious enough to call the police.  If I was the manager and someone came in to complain about some guy like that in the parking lot, I'd tell them to put their cart in the goddamn corral. :lol

You'd be out of business pretty fucking quick.  No matter what you think of people not putting their trolleys back, if you were the manager of the store, you would tell the guy harassing people to piss off and put it back for them, apologize and hope they come back.

Exactly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: December 18, 2019, 03:52:16 PM »
It comes down to accountability in the end. Nobody's held accountable. Imagine if the technology existed where if you left a cart out in the lot, it has your information, and when it dings a car, it sends you an electronic notice informing you that you were responsible for the damages caused to x person's car (and they get a copy as well). Guaran-damn-tee ya'll would return it then.  :biggrin: :corn

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: December 18, 2019, 03:53:35 PM »

Mocking your friends is a form a flattery in friendships.  The ones who's balls I bust the most are usually my closest friends.

So you know I love you all then.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1352 on: December 18, 2019, 03:59:01 PM »
That's the thing, who says it's bullshit?  It's not a law, it's just one's opinion.  I take mine back everytime and only care about people who don't when they leave theirs so close to my car.  Other than that, it's not worth even worrying about in the grand scheme of life.  I am coming around in seeing Tim's point with this whole thread.  Is it laziness? Yes.  Are people just ignorant and don't give a fuck? Yes.  Should we really give a shit?  Probably not, unless it's causing danger or property damage.

These comments are just antithetical to everything we've been building in this thread.  How could you?!

Imagine if the technology existed where if you left a cart out in the lot, it has your information, and when it dings a car, it sends you an electronic notice informing you that you were responsible for the damages caused to x person's car (and they get a copy as well). Guaran-damn-tee ya'll would return it then.  :biggrin: :corn

I wouldn't want to imagine such a dystopia.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: December 18, 2019, 04:00:50 PM »
It comes down to accountability in the end. Nobody's held accountable. Imagine if the technology existed where if you left a cart out in the lot, it has your information, and when it dings a car, it sends you an electronic notice informing you that you were responsible for the damages caused to x person's car (and they get a copy as well). Guaran-damn-tee ya'll would return it then.  :biggrin: :corn

That's just the way of the world more and more these days.  No one gives a fuck anymore about anything, even if they are called out or been somewhat held responsible.  The majority of the younger generation coming through don't even know what that word means.

Saying that, leaving a trolley in the carpark really doesn't warrant people needing to be accountable, as I said, it's not a law.  Damaging property with it may be a different story, but a lot of those situations are just fucking bad luck.  Your car can get hit by a rock from a truck driving, damaged by people randomly parked outside your house.  Hit by a fucking kangeroo, thunderstorm hail damage (which has happened to me), anything.  Sometimes shit just happens.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: December 18, 2019, 04:02:00 PM »
I mean or you could just like put 'em in the thing that's literally designed to keep them together neatly which doubles as a means to avoid rogue carts causing scratches in people's cars but I guess it's easier to justify being lazy and shrugging at potential vehicle damage :neverusethis:  :lol I don't understand you lawless brigands

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: December 18, 2019, 04:06:36 PM »

These comments are just antithetical to everything we've been building in this thread.  How could you?!

Imagine if the technology existed where if you left a cart out in the lot, it has your information, and when it dings a car, it sends you an electronic notice informing you that you were responsible for the damages caused to x person's car (and they get a copy as well). Guaran-damn-tee ya'll would return it then.  :biggrin: :corn

I wouldn't want to imagine such a dystopia.

I know you're being sarcastic, but I still believe everyone SHOULD take them back.  That viewpoint won't change.  I'm just trying to be rational however and look at it with a bit of perspective.  I'm not changing sides at all.  I don't know, I guess I can see both sides,

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: December 18, 2019, 04:07:09 PM »
I mean or you could just like put 'em in the thing that's literally designed to keep them together neatly which doubles as a means to avoid rogue carts causing scratches in people's cars but I guess it's easier to justify being lazy and shrugging at potential vehicle damage :neverusethis:  :lol I don't understand you lawless brigands

I personally do exactly that, every time.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: December 18, 2019, 04:12:47 PM »
We've gone from a world where small gestures make the world better (holding a door open for the next person) to it's all about me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1358 on: December 18, 2019, 04:13:42 PM »
You guys are nuts. And gullable.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: December 18, 2019, 04:17:15 PM »

:lol  Gullable?  Do tell.  I'm genuinely intrigued.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1360 on: December 18, 2019, 04:26:05 PM »

:lol  Gullable?  Do tell.  I'm genuinely intrigued.

It's that you are doing the store's work under the guise of being a considerate person.

They have self scans because they don't want to pay cashiers. They have already cut out the baggers, who double as carriage retrievers.
They have corrals to supposedly protect them against liability. Somehow this all turned into a "doing the right thing" thing.

I don't get it. It's giving in to The Man. The fucking store is not going to dictate if I'm a good person. Do your fucking job and come get the carts.
While I'm at it, maybe I should help them stock the fucking hair spray and conditioner to be considerate to Kox so it's there when he needs it. The store ain't paying enough stockers to get it full.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: December 18, 2019, 04:27:08 PM »
I understand the store provides a service  but I also know that is the least important service until carriages are low inside.

So, I bring them to the corral.

Pro tip, I park close to the corral so I don't have to walk far.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1362 on: December 18, 2019, 04:29:16 PM »
Crimany TAC, it's not about 'sticking it to the man,' this ain't the 70s  :lol Putting the carts away avoids all scenarios in which cars might possibly be damaged (which costs money to fix (which people like (and not everyone makes a lot of))), unless they all magically get pushed out of the corral in a giant heavy metal line.  :corn

Also I don't use hairspray :getoffmylawn:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1363 on: December 18, 2019, 04:33:06 PM »
I understand the store provides a service  but I also know that is the least important service until carriages are low inside.

So when the steaks get low, do you go in the meat room and start cutting?

Crimany TAC, it's not about 'sticking it to the man,' this ain't the 70s  :lol P

I will not be dictated by the store to do their work.

Putting the carts away avoids all scenarios in which cars might possibly be damaged (which costs money to fix (which people like (and not everyone makes a lot of))), unless they all magically get pushed out of the corral in a giant heavy metal line.  :corn

But why would we lash out and hold our fellow man responsible? It's the store's responsibility to keep the lot clear.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1364 on: December 18, 2019, 04:35:34 PM »
'cause I don't want my fookin' car potentially hit. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Recently I went to the store, no carts. When I came back out there was a shopping car sitting just a few feet in front of my car. You bet I looked to see if it hit.