Author Topic: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?  (Read 90207 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?
« Reply #1295 on: December 18, 2019, 09:08:39 AM »
Now see, that's the perfect excuse to get jacked like The Rock. Hang around the lots and yell at the jackwagons who don't put 'em back. Who's gonna intimidate who at that point?  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1296 on: December 18, 2019, 09:15:23 AM »
I think I'd probably call the cops on him and report to the store manager that there was some clown outside harassing and threatening the store's customers, and that I wouldn't shop there again until they did something about it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1297 on: December 18, 2019, 09:18:57 AM »
I believe this is a morning radio bit that they filmed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: December 18, 2019, 09:21:05 AM »
I think I'd probably call the cops on him and report to the store manager that there was some clown outside harassing and threatening the store's customers, and that I wouldn't shop there again until they did something about it.

Id imagine that's exactly what happened, then the guy could move onto the next town and start over. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1299 on: December 18, 2019, 09:29:34 AM »
Now see, that's the perfect excuse to get jacked like The Rock. Hang around the lots and yell at the jackwagons who don't put 'em back. Who's gonna intimidate who at that point?  :lol

Protip: When your new nickname is Kox, it's usually best to avoid phrases like "get jacked", "hang around", and "jackwagon". Just, sayin'
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1300 on: December 18, 2019, 09:53:36 AM »

LOL, I think "threatening" is a far cry from reminding people that the corrals are there for a reason.  If I was the store manager, I'd be out there harassing them myself.  :lol

Id imagine that's exactly what happened, then the guy could move onto the next town and start over. 

I doubt it.  He didn't do anything remotely serious enough to call the police.  If I was the manager and someone came in to complain about some guy like that in the parking lot, I'd tell them to put their cart in the goddamn corral. :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: December 18, 2019, 10:02:58 AM »
Well the lady threatened exactly that.  At the end of the day, I don't think there's any legal issue, it's just not really threatening but I can see why store managers wouldn't want this and why the cops would also tell the guy to beat it. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1302 on: December 18, 2019, 10:04:05 AM »
I prefer the radio station nickname. 105.9 K-LOX in the morning *wacky morning radio sounds* :neverusethis:

"You're listening to Kox and The Beaver on 105.9 KLOX!  Up next is 'Big Ten Inch' by Aerosmith."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1303 on: December 18, 2019, 10:04:57 AM »

LOL, I think "threatening" is a far cry from reminding people that the corrals are there for a reason.  If I was the store manager, I'd be out there harassing them myself.  :lol

I doubt it.  He didn't do anything remotely serious enough to call the police.  If I was the manager and someone came in to complain about some guy like that in the parking lot, I'd tell them to put their cart in the goddamn corral. :lol

Sure he did. He is harassing people for no reason.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1304 on: December 18, 2019, 10:06:16 AM »
If I was the manager and someone came in to complain about some guy like that in the parking lot, I'd tell them to put their cart in the goddamn corral. :lol

And that's all well and good, but most store managers would not do that, for several reasons.  And as has already been mentioned in the thread (and keeps getting ignored), most store managers don't care whether or not customers put carts in the corral and don't see it as an issue.  Most of them do see it as a problem if their customers (rightly or wrongly) feel threatened by rude people and talk about taking their business elsewhere.

And the bottom line is, there's just no good reason to be rude to people.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1305 on: December 18, 2019, 10:07:24 AM »

Sure he did. He is harassing people for no reason.

To say nothing of trespassing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1306 on: December 18, 2019, 10:09:18 AM »

Agreed, and that starts with returning the cart  :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1307 on: December 18, 2019, 10:12:28 AM »

And, scene.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1308 on: December 18, 2019, 10:16:03 AM »

Protip: When your new nickname is Kox, it's usually best to avoid phrases like "get jacked", "hang around", and "jackwagon". Just, sayin'

I hate you guys  :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1309 on: December 18, 2019, 10:18:04 AM »

Well, no.  Just because you may, for some reason, subjectively feel that carts should be put in a corral, you don't get to make up rules for others about social norms. 

But more importantly, even if it somehow affected anyone else in a way that somehow could be considered rude, that doesn't excuse someone else subsequently being rude by harassing strangers in a parking lot.  Two wrongs (assuming we stretch and agree to pretend the first action is somehow a "wrong") don't make a right. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1310 on: December 18, 2019, 10:21:55 AM »

Well, no.  Just because you may, for some reason, subjectively feel that carts should be put in a corral, you don't get to make up rules for others about social norms. 

But more importantly, even if it somehow affected anyone else in a way that somehow could be considered rude, that doesn't excuse someone else subsequently being rude by harassing strangers in a parking lot.  Two wrongs (assuming we stretch and agree to pretend the first action is somehow a "wrong") don't make a right.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1311 on: December 18, 2019, 10:23:27 AM »

But even more importantly, you could just put it in a place where it won't even potentially damage any cars or inconvenience anyone else, and you get the added benefit of not having to look over your shoulder, and you burn a couple calories for taking twenty more steps. :neverusethis:

Maybe we should make prostitution legal. Free BJ with every cart returned!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1312 on: December 18, 2019, 10:28:41 AM »
I prefer the radio station nickname. 105.9 K-LOX in the morning *wacky morning radio sounds* :neverusethis:

"You're listening to Kox and The Beaver on 105.9 KLOX!  Up next is 'Big Ten Inch' by Aerosmith."

Sad days when I read that and it seemed real. In fact, here in CT, it WOULD have been 105.9, WHCN out of Hartford (now called "The River"). 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1313 on: December 18, 2019, 10:29:22 AM »
But even more importantly, you could just put it in a place where it won't even potentially damage any cars or inconvenience anyone else, and you get the added benefit of not having to look over your shoulder, and you burn a couple calories for taking twenty more steps.

And I understand that you feel that way.  But that sidesteps and fails to address both of the points I raised.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1314 on: December 18, 2019, 10:30:47 AM »
But even more importantly, you could just put it in a place where it won't even potentially damage any cars or inconvenience anyone else

I don't think any of us "anti-corral" folks have ever disagreed with this.  What we do disagree with is that corrals are the only places that meet this criteria.

Maybe we should make prostitution legal. Free BJ with every cart returned!

Now you're talking!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: December 18, 2019, 10:33:12 AM »
But even more importantly, you could just put it in a place where it won't even potentially damage any cars or inconvenience anyone else, and you get the added benefit of not having to look over your shoulder, and you burn a couple calories for taking twenty more steps.

And I understand that you feel that way.  But that sidesteps and fails to address both of the points I raised.

I wasn't trying to  :lol Only thing I have to say to your kind is to return the f$^&ing cart please and thank you, that's it, I got nothing more  :lol

Sad days when I read that and it seemed real. In fact, here in CT, it WOULD have been 105.9, WHCN out of Hartford (now called "The River"). 

You two are killing me  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1316 on: December 18, 2019, 10:34:57 AM »
But even more importantly, you could just put it in a place where it won't even potentially damage any cars or inconvenience anyone else

I don't think any of us "anti-corral" folks have ever disagreed with this.  What we do disagree with is that corrals are the only places that meet this criteria.

I would hardly classify myself as "anti-corral," but, yes, you summed it up perfectly.  (except for TAC, who I believe actually is staunchly "anti-corral," if I'm not mistaken) 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1317 on: December 18, 2019, 10:37:02 AM »

:-*

I hate you guys  :rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1318 on: December 18, 2019, 10:37:45 AM »
Only thing I have to say to your kind is to return the f$^&ing cart please and thank you, that's it, I got nothing more  :lol

Which, no offense, makes literally ZERO sense to me.  There is no issue of "returning" anything.  Nobody in this thread, including yourself, puts the cart back inside the store where you got it from in the first place, so it isn't an issue of "returning" it at all.  So that's either careless wording or not being entirely honest in framing the issue.  But either way, it makes no sense.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1319 on: December 18, 2019, 10:40:00 AM »
Only thing I have to say to your kind is to return the f$^&ing cart please and thank you, that's it, I got nothing more  :lol

Which, no offense, makes literally ZERO sense to me.  There is no issue of "returning" anything.  Nobody in this thread, including yourself, puts the cart back inside the store where you got it from in the first place, so it isn't an issue of "returning" it at all.  So that's either careless wording or not being entirely honest in framing the issue.  But either way, it makes no sense.

Bruh why are you trying to continue an argument that you'll inevitably get pissy about and then blame me for like always. You can have the last word but I'm not talking with you about this anymore 'cause you always get mad and take it personal while the rest of us are cracking jokes having fun :lol chill

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1320 on: December 18, 2019, 10:45:52 AM »
I'm "chilled," don't worry.  I'll only get "pissy" if it devolves into namecalling.  I'd like to think that you are I are past that, so it's not an issue.  Just calling out what I see as a fallacy in the discourse, which is always fair game.

As for having to have the last word, I'll just say this:  As a species, humans in 2019 as a whole are too stupid to not frequently fall into the trap of feeling like we have to have the last word on every silly little Internet debate that we get sucked into, myself included.  So, yeah, guilty as charged.  :lol  But I'll try to be aware of that.

But in so saying, I got the last word in so far.  Haha!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1321 on: December 18, 2019, 10:47:06 AM »

:)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1322 on: December 18, 2019, 11:00:54 AM »
There is no issue of "returning" anything.  Nobody in this thread, including yourself, puts the cart back inside the store where you got it from in the first place, so it isn't an issue of "returning" it at all. 
I have actually occasionally done this, but I don't make a practice of it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1323 on: December 18, 2019, 11:06:17 AM »
There is no issue of "returning" anything.  Nobody in this thread, including yourself, puts the cart back inside the store where you got it from in the first place, so it isn't an issue of "returning" it at all. 
I have actually occasionally done this, but I don't make a practice of it.

I literally did this last week in...California! The cart corral was farther from the rental car than to the store front.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1324 on: December 18, 2019, 11:12:18 AM »
Well, sure.  I have as well.  But I don't think anybody truly "makes a practice of it."  That's my point. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1325 on: December 18, 2019, 11:17:19 AM »

Actually, if I am near a corral and see a cart, and I need one, I take it from there. So in that case, you are "returning" the cart to the corral.  :biggrin:

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1326 on: December 18, 2019, 11:41:07 AM »

I agree on the second part.  As much as I find what that guy did entertaining and support it, it's certainly not "right" nor does it make the situation better in any way. 

As for the first, well thats the crux of this whole thread so no point in going through it all again.

But what if the store put up a sign saying to return the carts?  Does that take away from the rules for social norms since it would then be a written rule of the lot?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1327 on: December 18, 2019, 12:01:44 PM »

I would hardly classify myself as "anti-corral," but, yes, you summed it up perfectly.  (except for TAC, who I believe actually is staunchly "anti-corral," if I'm not mistaken)

I couldn't think of a better term, so I went with it even though it's not entirely accurate.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1328 on: December 18, 2019, 12:07:51 PM »
Man, I missed an entertaining page.  Bosky, I'm not sure what evidence you've gathered that validates store owners are not bothered by carst strewn about the parking lot.  In fact, I know in windy weather they most certainly are - Costco up here puts signs up asking for people to return carts to a coral or the front of the store.  As for some of your other posts, I just can't fathom quoting and re-hashing them.  Plus, you're a poopy-head.

Actually, if I am near a corral and see a cart, and I need one, I take it from there. So in that case, you are "returning" the cart to the corral.  :biggrin:

^ This - virtually everytime.  I specifically park near corrals whenever I can so that I don't have a long trip to return it, and so that I can grab one from there before entering the store (most of the time).  I can't tell you how many times I've gotten to the entrance at Costco on a weekend, and there are NO carts at the front - they're all out in the corrals (except for the few from the fine people that just left them strewn about the parking lot - but that rarely happens in civilized nations like Canada   ;D
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: December 18, 2019, 12:11:25 PM »
I'll pull a cart from the corral on my way in too if it's on my way. Can't recall an instance of not having carts up front though to make it a habbit.