Author Topic: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?  (Read 90209 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?
« Reply #735 on: May 22, 2019, 01:16:08 PM »
Well, no, but putting the carts in the store technically doesn't stop anyone from stealing them either. You can't deny however it is far more likely someone would steal one that is positioned conveniently at the end of a parking lot than way up in the corral wegded in amongst all the others. Just sayin'.

I don't know about you, but the stores I shop at have corrals at various locations.  It's not like they're all right outside the store, so I can think of no reason why putting a cart in a corral would have any impact at all on its susceptibility to theft.

If carts aren’t in the designated corrals, then store employees are wasting time running around the parking lot all day gathering stray carts.

An employee performing one of his/her job duties is not "wasting time."  That's like saying I'm "wasting time" reviewing contracts.  It's part of my job, just as it's part of the store employees' jobs to retrieve carts.

Yes, but if those contracts were written in 5 different languages, and the person writing them could have easily translated them but didn't, then you'd be wasting time by having to translate them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #736 on: May 22, 2019, 01:20:16 PM »
250k and counting....

Damn I've got 9 months left for my Corolla at 160,000 and I'm dying for a new truck.

I have an 02 Nissan Sentra. It hasn't even cracked 74k miles yet. Bought it in '15 with 41.9k on it.

Dang...drive a little!   ;D

My '06 Honda has >225k miles and will likely be put out to pasture within the next few weeks.  Gonna be really weird driving something new after all this time.

Yes, but if those contracts were written in 5 different languages, and the person writing them could have easily translated them but didn't, then you'd be wasting time by having to translate them.

Well...since I'm not qualified to translate any languages, you're certainly right.  On the other hand, if I were qualified and it was part of my job, then it wouldn't be "wasting time."  It might be "wasting time" for a store manager to retrieve carts, but it certainly isn't for a person who was specifically hired to do exactly that (among other things).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #737 on: May 22, 2019, 01:56:05 PM »
because some people can't make a small contribution for the good of everybody involved.  It really is as simple as that.

When did we change lanes and start talking about Obamacare?   :lol

Just now by you comparing apples and oranges. :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #738 on: May 22, 2019, 02:04:55 PM »
An employee performing one of his/her job duties is not "wasting time."  That's like saying I'm "wasting time" reviewing contracts.  It's part of my job, just as it's part of the store employees' jobs to retrieve carts.

Not exactly apples and apples.   We're not talking about a marketable skill. 

Pumping gas is a similar thing: I can pay $2.52 a gallon, and pump it myself, or I can pay $3.02 a gallon and have someone stand there and pump it for me.   I got an estimate for $1100 for the brakes on my car; or I can go buy pads and rotors for about $250 and do it myself.   That's what we're dealing with here.  It's the choice between paying $7.99 a pound for steak and bring my cart back individually myself (or restock stuff that assholes put in their cart then take back out four aisles down; yes, I've done that) or paying $9.99 a pound and have someone do it for us. 

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #739 on: May 22, 2019, 02:12:49 PM »
If carts aren’t in the designated corrals, then store employees are wasting time running around the parking lot all day gathering stray carts.

Interesting how your selective reasoning must be convenient.  I already explained why the corrals are there.  Of course it's their job, but management doesn't want their employees spending all their time in the parking lot.  Time is money.  I also said it's a safety liability as well.  How is that even remotely comparable to reviewing contracts?  Apples and oranges dude.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #740 on: May 22, 2019, 02:20:17 PM »
I love this thread.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #741 on: May 22, 2019, 02:21:57 PM »
  I already explained why the corrals are there.  Of course it's their job, but management doesn't want their employees spending all their time in the parking lot.  Time is money.  I also said it's a safety liability as well. 

Steve, bingo! I would also add, the safety liability concern is nowhere near as great as the property liability.

I hate the fact that because the company doesn't want to pay kids to get carriages, or is more concerned with not paying damage claims (all legit corporate concerns..) that I am expected to conform to bringing my carriage to the corral. I said this before, maybe the passage of time makes it acceptable and expected behavior. Maybe those tides have already started turning. But I fucking hate that. I just do.

I mean, it's not like I litter, it's not like I don't hold the door open for others, etc... But I'll be damned if I'll succumb to shaming with corporate greed as the root.

How many of you Corral Champions smoke? I assume you also use your ashtray and not throw your butt out the window, right?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #742 on: May 22, 2019, 02:30:23 PM »
Actually most places specifically say they aren't liable for car damages. Which is further motivation for everyone to put cars back so you don't have to deal with insurance companies or having to pay out of pocket. Go to any Wal-Mart for example, the corral signs say they aren't liable.

You have gone into full blown "The Maaaan" mode over shopping carts and I love it. :hug:  :lol (also I don't smoke regularly but when I do I put my butts out in an ashtray or a can of some kind)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #743 on: May 22, 2019, 02:33:50 PM »
Actually most places specifically say they aren't liable for car damages.

Yup, they sure do.

You have gone into full blown "The Maaaan" mode over shopping carts and I love it. :hug:  :lol

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: May 22, 2019, 02:38:02 PM »
How many of you Corral Champions smoke? I assume you also use your ashtray and not throw your butt out the window, right?

Ugh this just reminded me, the guy in front of me in traffic this morning dropped a dirty napkin or paper towel onto the nj turnpike just so conveniently.  Kind of pissed me off to see someone litter like that, I made it look like I had to drive slowly around roadkill when it was time to inch up in the traffic.  Oh, this isn't the things that make me mad thread.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #745 on: May 22, 2019, 02:46:56 PM »
  I already explained why the corrals are there.  Of course it's their job, but management doesn't want their employees spending all their time in the parking lot.  Time is money.  I also said it's a safety liability as well. 

Steve, bingo! I would also add, the safety liability concern is nowhere near as great as the property liability.

I hate the fact that because the company doesn't want to pay kids to get carriages, or is more concerned with not paying damage claims (all legit corporate concerns..) that I am expected to conform to bringing my carriage to the corral. I said this before, maybe the passage of time makes it acceptable and expected behavior. Maybe those tides have already started turning. But I fucking hate that. I just do.

I mean, it's not like I litter, it's not like I don't hold the door open for others, etc... But I'll be damned if I'll succumb to shaming with corporate greed as the root.

I find it weird because I never heard these issues back in the day.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #746 on: May 22, 2019, 03:05:03 PM »
I love this thread.

The most whimsical aspect of this thread in particular is when there's a slew of activity, then a few months of hibernation, then it just comes roaring back for a bit of action before fading away. It's the ultimate "oh God not this shit again  :lol" thread and I love it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #747 on: May 22, 2019, 03:09:02 PM »
They DO pay kids to get carts.  Or rather, they pay them to bring them inside the store from outside the store.

That doesn't mean that their job is to wait eagerly to get them from everywhere that some less thoughtful person decided to leave it.  The corral is the place to put them (unless you go the extra mile and return it all the way inside the store).  That way, the kids can go to the corrals, get the carts, and bring them inside.  Very simple, very easy, and I don't have to navigate wayward carts all over the fucking place.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #748 on: May 22, 2019, 03:11:07 PM »
They DO pay kids to get carts.  Or rather, they pay them to bring them inside the store from outside the store.

That doesn't mean that their job is to wait eagerly to get them from everywhere that some less thoughtful person decided to leave it.  The corral is the place to put them (unless you go the extra mile and return it all the way inside the store).  That way, the kids can go to the corrals, get the carts, and bring them inside.  Very simple, very easy, and I don't have to navigate wayward carts all over the fucking place.

It's to save labor costs, Hef. And insurance costs. They don't give a fuck about you navigating through carts. I'm not going to be their bitch.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: May 22, 2019, 03:14:48 PM »
How is putting your cart back "being their bitch?!"  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: May 22, 2019, 03:21:34 PM »
Getting cars was always part of the job description.  Big business looking to get more for doing less. Like the full service where they cleaned your windshield.

Now we pay much more for less service.  This is big business screwing us.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #751 on: May 22, 2019, 03:22:00 PM »

It's to save labor costs, Hef. And insurance costs. They don't give a fuck about you navigating through carts. I'm not going to be their bitch.
Their lower labor costs and insurance costs equal lower grocery costs for me.  That's how business works.  And it's not "being their bitch", it is saving someone else from dealing with trouble that I have had to deal with before.

I love you, but you are literally the only person I have ever heard with this point of view.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #752 on: May 22, 2019, 03:33:27 PM »
Their lower labor costs and insurance costs equal lower grocery costs for me. 

Did the Easter Bunny bring you a nice basket this year?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #753 on: May 22, 2019, 03:36:07 PM »

You realize this MAKES the point why people should return carts to the coral, and not leave hem scattered across the lot?  It's post like this that make confuse me as to whether you are for or against corals!?!?!?!

So you don't litter, but you'll leave a massive steel crate on wheels lying around (screw that man!), but will do your part for society and find the central location (ie, garbage bins) to put your KitKat wrapper.

I love you, but you are literally the only person I have ever heard with this point of view.

You're not following this thread close enough.  :rollin
Their lower labor costs and insurance costs equal lower grocery costs for me. 

Did the Easter Bunny bring you a nice basket this year?

C'mon Tim, your not so dense to not know businesses will pass cost on to consumers.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: May 22, 2019, 03:40:50 PM »

Tim has a lot of unique views that are surprising. Don't get him started on car washes and leaf blowers.  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #755 on: May 22, 2019, 03:41:34 PM »
I totally get what you're saying Tim, but I don't think of that way.  Yes, companies have their own reasons for doing things and I've named a few.  My thing is, if they put corrals in the parking lot for whatever reasons that make sense or don't, I might as well do my part in helping to reduce the clutter.  I don't think anyone is saying you have to do it, but I definitely think it's the right thing to do.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: May 22, 2019, 03:42:46 PM »

Tim has a lot of unique views that are surprising. Don't get him started on car washes and leaf blowers.  :lol

Too late. I have to know this now that you've brought it up, and we'll need threads depending on how outlandish the views are.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #757 on: May 22, 2019, 03:43:50 PM »

Not exactly apples and apples.   We're not talking about a marketable skill. 

Pumping gas is a similar thing: I can pay $2.52 a gallon, and pump it myself, or I can pay $3.02 a gallon and have someone stand there and pump it for me.   I got an estimate for $1100 for the brakes on my car; or I can go buy pads and rotors for about $250 and do it myself.   That's what we're dealing with here.  It's the choice between paying $7.99 a pound for steak and bring my cart back individually myself (or restock stuff that assholes put in their cart then take back out four aisles down; yes, I've done that) or paying $9.99 a pound and have someone do it for us.

Are you saying that grocery stores in your area will give you a discount on your meat purchase for "bring[ing] your cart back"?!?!

Unless that's true, I don't see any relevance.  Nor is the full-service versus self-service or the do-it-yourself brake job analogy (the former doesn't exist where I am).  In all of your examples, the customer is reaping a direct financial benefit by undertaking work that could be performed at a cost by someone else.  I get no direct benefit (financial or otherwise) by doing anything in particular with my cart, and I think it's at least debatable whether I get an indirect benefit (in the form of reduced overall prices at the store).

My analogy was simply that some employees have multiple job duties.  While it is certainly true that spending time on Duty #6 will reduce the available time for Duty #1, that doesn't make Duty #6 a "waste of time."

Interesting how your selective reasoning must be convenient.  I already explained why the corrals are there.  Of course it's their job, but management doesn't want their employees spending all their time in the parking lot.  Time is money.  I also said it's a safety liability as well.  How is that even remotely comparable to reviewing contracts?  Apples and oranges dude.

Err....  I get that having customers do some or all of the work of getting carts back to store is good for the stores, but that's neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned.  As far as it being "a safety liability," I suppose, but I'm fairly confident that the incidence of injury suffered by retail employees while retrieving carts is so low as not to be worth considering.

Actually most places specifically say they aren't liable for car damages.

Yup, they sure do.

And just because they "say" it doesn't make it so.

Not anymore.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #758 on: May 22, 2019, 03:44:04 PM »
It's the cleaners' job to clean all parts of my workplace, but that doesn't mean they aren't wasting their time if I decide to defecate in the sink rather than the toilet and they have to clean up after me. It would on the other hand make me a colossal wankstain.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #759 on: May 22, 2019, 03:47:48 PM »

You realize this MAKES the point why people should return carts to the coral, and not leave hem scattered across the lot?  It's post like this that make confuse me as to whether you are for or against corals!?!?!?!

So you don't litter, but you'll leave a massive steel crate on wheels lying around (screw that man!), but will do your part for society and find the central location (ie, garbage bins) to put your KitKat wrapper.

Seriously, I'm not against corrals. But let's just understand why they're there. I'm insulted that just because they are out there, that a company can attach a sign to it that they are not responsible for carriage claims. That should insult everyone that shops there.
I'm sorry, I can't get past that.

Now I'm not saying I don't use the corrals. I do if it's convenient. I may flip the cart backwards so it doesn't move, or I may park it on a curb. I may leave it on the crisscross of spaces. I will not leave it unattended in a storm.

You guys see what's happening...THE MAN is turning us against each other! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #760 on: May 22, 2019, 03:48:07 PM »
It's the cleaners' job to clean all parts of my workplace, but that doesn't mean they aren't wasting their time if I decide to defecate in the sink rather than the toilet and they have to clean up after me. It would on the other hand make me a colossal wankstain.

That's a shitty example.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: May 22, 2019, 03:49:05 PM »

Too late. I have to know this now that you've brought it up, and we'll need threads depending on how outlandish the views are.  :lol

Car washes are stupid and a waste of money because, well, rain!

Cleaning up the fallen leaves from your yard is a waste of time and money because, well, wind!

:lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #762 on: May 22, 2019, 03:49:48 PM »
Makes total sense to me!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: May 22, 2019, 03:50:19 PM »
:hug:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: May 22, 2019, 03:51:03 PM »

Cleaning up the fallen leaves from your yard is a waste of time and money because, well, wind!

Omg  :lol Why bother wiping your ass? It's just gonna get shitty again!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: May 22, 2019, 03:52:10 PM »
Pg, the analogy was what we got back in the day to what we get now for our dollar.  Corporate takes a lot more and those little thing like cart services are put out to pasture.

Now there is scan your own food kiosks.   Dont have to pay for baggers and cashiers.  Let the shoppers bag their own food and save money.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #766 on: May 22, 2019, 03:52:50 PM »

Omg  :lol Why bother wiping your ass? It's just gonna get shitty again!

Isn't that what underwear is for?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: May 22, 2019, 03:55:17 PM »
Tim, I dare you to tell your wife that.  You'll be soooooory! :lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #768 on: May 22, 2019, 03:57:20 PM »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #769 on: May 22, 2019, 03:58:05 PM »
That's a shitty example.

*rimshot*
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman